Start by marking “Dreaming the Hound (Boudica, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dreaming the Hound (Boudica, #3)

Dreaming the Hound (Boudica #3)

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,146 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
In a spellbinding novel of gods and men, myth and brutality, acclaimed author Manda Scott returns to her heralded saga of a world under siege. For here is the epic tale of Boudica, the legendary Celtic queen, and her embattled Eceni tribe—a bold new work of imaginative fiction that takes us on a thrilling journey into a clash between magic and mankind.

To the Eceni tribe o
Published January 31st 2006 by Spectra (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dreaming the Hound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreaming the Hound

Dreaming the Bull by Manda ScottDreaming the Hound by Manda ScottDreaming the Serpent Spear by Manda ScottDreaming the Eagle by Manda ScottThe Eagle and the Raven by Pauline Gedge
Boudica - Fiction & Non-Fiction
2nd out of 25 books — 10 voters
Outlander by Diana GabaldonDaughter of the Forest by Juliet MarillierDragonfly in Amber by Diana GabaldonVoyager by Diana GabaldonSon of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier
Great Celtic Fiction
205th out of 277 books — 323 voters

More lists with this book...

Sam
May 08, 2009 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this third installment of the Boudica series, the characters were again brilliantly written and the storyline believable and once again well researched. Scott has continues to recreate the intricacies of Celtic Britain and the Roman Empire very well with a distinct attention to detail that continues to support the story. Each character continues to be developed well and the situations that arise are again handled and written well and portrayed in a manner to make each as relevent to the ...more
Graham Crawford
May 19, 2013 Graham Crawford rated it liked it
After a rather messy Book 2 - Manda Scott is back in form with "Dreaming the Hound". I am in two minds about this series now as it's turning out to have a lot more hippy new age Celtic neo-paganism than I'd bargained for. I'm sure this opened up a big new fan-base for Scott's books (and her "Dreaming" workshops), but this sort of wishy-washy Celtic mist masquerading as history sets my teeth on edge.

On the plus side, I really enjoy Scott's considered interpretations of Tacitus in light of recent
Ronda  Tutt
Aug 01, 2013 Ronda Tutt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, historical
Amazing and Mind Boggling!

With this 3rd book in the 4 book series I can tell you each book gets into more dept of Boudica's life. The story is truly amazing with the sacrifices that Boudica takes to ensure her leadership role for her tribe the Eceni in order to raise an army to push back Rome. The Romans see the Tribes as savages yet Rome's actions are brutally horrifying and worse than any savage actions. Rome's greed knows no boundaries and becomes hungry with their taxation of the tribes good
Mark
The first book in this quadrilogy was a little slow but still well written and never failed to grip the interest of the reader.
However, after reading the second book and now the third the saga really does pick up speed making both books into real page turners. The figures all start to take on a real depth of character but only due to the good basis laid out in the first book.
It has been criticised that this quadrilogy is based on the classic model or metaphor of the greedy, profit driven, reso
Shmendrick
Apr 19, 2015 Shmendrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This probably my fourth or fifth time re-reading this book and I fall more in love with it every time. I find Graine's character slightly as she does feel overly perfect in this book but she's still a likeable character. I have to admit I was slightly confused by the appearance of Gunovar as in the first book Gunovic's family was said to have been taken by slavers and there was no mention of a daughter among the tribes but I liked her as well. Valerius just gets better with every book and his re ...more
Morgan Dhu
Jun 17, 2016 Morgan Dhu rated it really liked it
In Dreaming the Hound, the third volume of Manda Scott's Boudica quartet, the focus of the narrative returns to Breaca and her brother Ban, also known as Julius Valerius.

Breaca has returned to her own people, the Eceni, with her children Cunomar and Graine, and her step-daughter Cynfa. Now married to the Eceni leader Prasutogas, a client-king of Rome, she hides in plain sight from the Romans, who would gladly kill her if they ever connected the new queen of the Eceni with the war leader Boudica
Jun 19, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real page turner. Obviously you have to suspend disbelief somewhat at the "mythical" side of things, but - as we know so little about the ancient celts culture, who is to say she's wrong really!

I still feel conflicted about Ban/Valarius. Would he really have gone over to the Roman's side so readily as a young adult. Surely as soon as he was an adult he would have tried to get back home to Eceni. Even if his family were dead, he had a strong bond with the rest of the tribe. I was never convince
Bethany
Jun 20, 2009 Bethany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
I really love this series. I am a huge fan, I love the descriptions, the charcters, the plots. They are so well created and usually in a book there are parts that flow and others that re rather heavy going but in this it all just creates a lovely image in my head. Ban is one of my favourite characters of all time as he is just a wonderful character with a tortured soul that just appeals to me.
Jane
Apr 26, 2013 Jane rated it really liked it
This series has gotten better through each book. I am enjoying the most the story of Bán/Valerius, the conflicted brother of Boudica, caught between two cultures--Briton and Roman. I appreciate each prologue, told by a narrator, which recounts the action in the previous volumes. I'm pretending that who the author means by 'dreamers' we would call Druids.
Lorina Stephens
Jul 05, 2014 Lorina Stephens rated it liked it
Certainly Manda Scott must be applauded for her research into the era and subject matter, as her surrounding details are vibrant and for the most part credible. Characters are larger than life. Were this marketed as historical fantasy, certainly many of my criticisms would disappear. However, the entire Boudica series is, alas, not marketed as historical fantasy, rather as historical fiction, and it is there I find fault. Why? There are several reasons, however foremost of these is the overarchi ...more
Airmid
Sep 23, 2014 Airmid rated it it was amazing
Es un libro coral, al igual que los anteriores, en el cual se incorpora un nuevo personaje: Graine (que tambien es encantador). De los tres es el que más rápido terminé y se narra los acontecimientos que despiertan la furia de Boudica.
Lauren
Jun 14, 2014 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: epics
So I enjoyed Dreaming the Hound even more and even less than the rest of the Boudica books. My main issue with the book was Boudica and her daughters after Prasutagus died. Because Boudica is an amazing warrior along with her half - daughter. So I just don't understand how they were captured and then raped by the Roman guards. A warrior of such immense power like Boudica wouldn't have let that happen, right? But other than that fault the book was amazing. I loved having Ban/ Valerius find his wa ...more
Annette Jordan
Nov 08, 2015 Annette Jordan rated it really liked it
The epic saga continues and the intersecting plots and relationships continue to be woven ever more tightly together. The horrific final few chapters see Breaca and her children in the hands of the Romans, and Ban/Valerius must try to rescue them before they are crucified.
This sets us up for the final book in the series
Fantastic historical setting with action and mystery and characters that are as fully alive in our imagination when we read as they were in ages past.
Ritiel
Nov 16, 2011 Ritiel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great and tragic ending, or perhaps the great beginning of something…

This novel, and its historical note, made me see how hard can be write a historical novel with few facts and little information. And of course, it changed my perception of the series, and of Manda’s work. But it is not just for it, that Dreaming the Hound was to me a great novel.

The turnabouts presented in parts two and three of the series catches the reader, they create that impulse of continue reading, while, somehow the fi
A. Murtagh
Aug 28, 2012 A. Murtagh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
It's been so long since I read these that I can't remember what happens in which book, but I just had to leave a review saying that, as well as being generally ridonculously gritty and well-written, these books had one of the greatest characters I've ever read.

(view spoiler)
Rob Humphreys
Aug 24, 2014 Rob Humphreys rated it it was amazing
The third book in this excellent series really takes off. The last sixty pages are spellbinding and real page turners. Can't wait to start on the final book four now.
Kay Spence
These are the best books about Boudica and now it looks like becoming a TV series - I can't wait!
Neill Smith
Oct 21, 2013 Neill Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Breaca is living on Mona, hunting Romans quietly and alone at night. Ban (Valerius) is a smith in Hibernia, away from the Eceni and the Romans. After the death of Veranius, the new governor of Britannia, Suetonius Paulinus, has been tasked with conquering the western tribes, a task he pursues with a vengeance as his tax collector tries to impoverish the tribes. When Breaca moves back to the Eceni homeland in the east to be ready to attack Camulodunum when Suetonius moves west, her life becomes t ...more
Hertzan Chimera
Nov 19, 2015 Hertzan Chimera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
after a weak start (mostly due to the lack of decent warrior-action in the first part) I got more and more entranced by this excellent series of books by Manda Scott.

Just started book 4: serpent-spear.
Ice Bear
Jul 23, 2015 Ice Bear rated it liked it
East to West and back again, almost hobbit like as we watch the Roman's take control.
Ted Hopkins
Aug 07, 2011 Ted Hopkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The word "Dreaming" in the title of all four books in this series is important. The dream-like quality moves these books more towards fantasy than would normally be expected of historical fiction. Unlike Pauline Gedge's covering of the same ground, Scott occasionally delves into magic to advance her plot. Scott's Boudica and Caradoc are both very different characters than Gedge's. An absorbing read.
Brenna
Nov 15, 2012 Brenna rated it really liked it

For the first time, the third book in a series stands up to the first two. The story is heart-breaking and you know it will only get worse in the fourth but there is also a sense of peace about the whole thing. I know I will be sad at the end of the fourth novel and will miss the characters I have come to love and respect.
Barbara
Jan 08, 2013 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Now well invested in this series, I devoured Dreaming the Hound and was delighted to learn today that there is a fourth instalment - Dreaming the Serpent-Spear. The characters are wonderfully developed and many became a part of my circle of friends while others became my arch enemies as I became totally immersed in this thrilling story.
Tanzanite
Nov 03, 2009 Tanzanite rated it really liked it
So far, the best of the three I have read. Still somewhat slow going, but the last 50 pages or so more than make up for it in emotional impact. Full review here: http://shelfandstuff.blogspot.com/200...
Míami
Jun 22, 2012 Míami rated it really liked it
Again quite a dark, gloomy read but considering the events unfolding it could hardly have been any other way! The characters evolve in a very deep and credible way. A great book overall setting the scene for the story's dramatic conclusion.
Margareth8537
May 20, 2013 Margareth8537 rated it it was amazing
I have really enjoyed this series. The characterisation, depth of knowledge and good guesses about a period that is very little known. As they say, "History is written by the victors", and even they haven't left us that much
Anastasia Guiler
I enjoyed this one just about as much as the first! Great imagery, great characters, and great language. Its brutal towards the end but, if you know anything about the Boudica, you knew it had to get there eventually.
Shilo
Oct 14, 2008 Shilo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved these books. Now I'm off on a boudica tangent. Great for lovers of historical fiction, king arthur, roman warfare, etc. Not for those with a weak stomach for the realities and gore of war.
Lori
Dec 22, 2013 Lori rated it really liked it
Still like this series, looking forward to the next. Enjoy the story and the themes, love, loss, redemption, honor, death, and the cyclical nature of things.
Amanda Squires
Aug 11, 2012 Amanda Squires rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 8-6-12
So far this is the best of the series. Fast moving and detailed and character development good. Looking forward to Dreaming the Serpent Spear.
  • Rome: The Coming of the King (Rome, #2)
  • The Eagle and the Raven
  • Song of the North (Dalriada, #3)
  • The Gladiator (Eagle, #9)
  • Bard: The Odyssey of the Irish
  • Lion Of The Sun (Warrior of Rome, #3)
  • Claudius (Rufus, #2)
  • Inquisition
  • Crusade (Brethren Trilogy, #2)
Novelist, columnist and broadcaster MC Scott (aka Manda Scott) trained as a veterinary surgeon in Glasgow and worked at the Universities of Cambridge and Dublin, specialising in anaesthesia. A brief three year stint as a Director of the computer games company, Frontier Developments (Elite, Frontier First Encounter, Wallace and Gromit; Elite: Dangerous) bridged the gap from veterinary medicine to w ...more
More about Manda Scott...

Boudica (4 books)
  • Dreaming the Eagle (Boudica, #1)
  • Dreaming the Bull (Boudica, #2)
  • Dreaming the Serpent Spear (Boudica, #4)