Start by marking “EMS: The Job of Your Life” as Want to Read:
EMS: The Job of Your Life

EMS: The Job of Your Life

You hear the sirens wailing behind and pull to the side just as the ambulance breezes past you at a seemingly break-neck speed. You see through the rear windows, the EMT inside is laughing as he converses with the patient. Have you ever wondered what goes on inside? Here is your chance to clim & inside and see what really happens beneath the sirens. EMS: The Job of ...more
Published March 1st 2004 by Vivisphere Publishing (first published August 26th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about EMS, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about EMS

Meeko
Nov 16, 2014 Meeko rated it really liked it
Written mostly in an anecdotal format, this book (and sequels) could not be more realistic to the field. At least for New Jersey EMS. It is full of humor, some gore, and too much truth to the field that I often find myself missing working emergency services, being a retired EMT myself. I've read reviews on Devin's books and some had given poor remarks, saying that he's given the field a poor image with what he had written and portrayed, but I could not disagree more.

This is how the field was tha
Andrew
Nov 27, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it
I'll readily admit that I glossed over some of the more introspective portions of the book, but there was plenty of "meat" to keep me engaged. I've been in EMS for over 24 years, and I really enjoy when I find someone who can capture the essence of "that type of call" in a few words - got a few good chuckles (and a couple of curious glances from my wife's). This author has the rare combination of interesting EMS stories to tell and the ability to put those tales to paper. I'm glad I picked up ...more
Marty
Feb 03, 2012 Marty rated it it was amazing
Hysterical! What more can you say? No, it's not a dramatic, self-indugled hero worship like many other EMS books. He doesn't try to paint himself in a great light. Devin's honest, open, and not afraid to speak his mind. Just like many of the other paramedics I know. I keep a copy at the station and the binding is fraying from all the people who have picked it up to read.
Jamie Laura
Nov 10, 2013 Jamie Laura rated it it was amazing
Very Detailed Aspects of the profession that is EMS. From silly to serious , to exciting to boring, this book is a GREAT read for anyone considering a profession in the world of EMS. I am wanting to go into EMS and this book helped me make my decision FINAL.
Jennifer Lawrence
May 14, 2012 Jennifer Lawrence rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. Love the sense of humour (Cause it is like mine :-p and everyone else in EMS). Crazy stories. Never a dull moment in this career. I can relate to some of the calls in the book. It is now being passed around the station for my peeps to read and enjoy it too.
Robert Evans
Jun 24, 2013 Robert Evans rated it it was amazing
I will always love this book the most out of all of them because I can remember most of the stories as they happended for the first time. Devon is a very creative writer a great medic and good friend. we will always share some great college memories.
Jeff
Dec 02, 2008 Jeff rated it it was amazing
I loved this one got it as a christmas gift. Great read. He writes a lot like I think. His skill in writting paints a great picture of what we do on the ambulance and what exactly we are thinking!!
Ethan
Ethan rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2014
Shawn
Shawn rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2013
Aaron Turgeon
Aaron Turgeon rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2013
Damari
Damari rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2014
Shayla Cook
Shayla Cook rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Kory
Kory rated it it was ok
Feb 12, 2014
Padraic
Padraic rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2015
Cody
Cody rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2014
Erik Prager
Erik Prager rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2010
Tammy Klier
Tammy Klier rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2014
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2014
Brittney
Brittney rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Frankie Kibbe
Frankie Kibbe rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2008
Jill Keating
Jill Keating rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2014
Nico
Nico rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Dave Winston
Dave Winston rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2012
Nicholas Riffle
Nicholas Riffle rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2009
Travis
Travis rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2013
Tara Pruitt
Tara Pruitt rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2014
Wanted to say thanks! 1 1 Feb 01, 2012 05:29PM
Devin Kerins is a career paramedic and emergency manager from New Jersey who parlayed his experiences on ambulances, eye for detail, and twisted sense of humor into writing. After writing two books of EMS anecdotes, he has turned his attention to writing outrageously funny action novels. When he is not writing or saving lives, you can usually find him reading, watching reruns of bad 1980's ...more
More about Devin Kerins...