Little People in the City: The Street Art of Slinkachu

Little People in the City: The Street Art of Slinkachu

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  204 ratings  ·  25 reviews
"They're Not Pets, Susan," says a stern father who has just shot a bumblebee, its wings sparkling in the evening sunlight.A lone office worker, less than an inch high, looks out over the river in his lunch break, "Dreaming of Packing it All In." A tiny man makes his way back to a tiny car, with a tiny shopping bag: "Shopping for one again." Another office worker sits atop...more
Published June 1st 2009 by Pan Macmillan (first published September 5th 2008)

karen
this book is amazing. it is what i imagine connor thinks of what rhode island looks like; tiny little people going about their tiny little lives. i know very little about art (except what william taught me about pietro della francesca yesterday) but i know that this is genius, even though the gum one grosses greg out a lot.
Elizabeth Olson
Photo essay teeny weeny art dioramas depicting daily lives of urban inch-high plastic figures, in scenarios ranging from cheeky to wry to touching to risque, all seeming to silently comment on our own existence.
Trish
Sep 29, 2009 Trish rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
Can't decide which set-piece I like best. Think it might be "They're not pets, Susan", though maybe it is "Local amenities for children."

So, who is Slinkachu? Presumably Will Self knows, since he wrote the introduction to Little People.... But the more relevant question may be where did he get that name? In any case, he makes city living interesting again, and forces us to see the world anew.
Katie
If I'm honest, I bought this book by mistake. I thought it was a set of postcards that I originally wanted to purchase. I figured they would be great for that. I was surprised when I got this, and it was a book of photographs of little people doing street things. This was one of those mistakes turned into something that I loved. The photographs in Slikachu were great to look at and the idea was great. It was one of those "Why didn't I think of that?". I found myself chuckling at some of the phot...more
Janie
Sometimes, and mostly at first, I was like "aw. I love this."
- 'Hung up', 'Commuting', 'Danger!', 'Bin Day', 'One False Move', 'Dreams of packing it all in'

Then I was like {wry chuckle}.
- 'Our First Home', 'Diet'

Sometimes I was like, ick sad. (Not like good cry sad, like 'Twelve months later'.)
- 'No', 'One day he will notice me'

Then I was like "what the HORROR!!?"

It got darker and a little horrible toward the end. Maybe if I hadn't been so greedy, hadn't snarfed it down in a day, it would...more
Jeff
Little People in the City is a slight but thoroughly entertaining work, and for someone like me with no previous exposure to Slinkachu's work, something of a revelation. These carefully composed street scenes of tiny models going about their everyday lives in the midst of busy, full-scale modern urban areas are fun, thought-provoking and a little frightening at the same time. Slinkachu has captured a small piece of zen in the midst of hectic city life, and his photographs encourage the reader to...more
Jorgen
Just beautiful :)
Spencer King
A good collection of Slinkachu's work, which is something like Do Ho Suh crossed with Posterchild--it's got the care and miniature craft of Do Ho Suh along with the sort of public awareness, but it's got some of the instantaneous qualities of street arithout sacrificing a lot of content for the humor.
Joel
Sep 12, 2009 Joel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: art, humor
Collection of tiny sculptures of people placed in our normal-sized human world with the results often being context changing, humorous and clever. I loved the cover shot of a man just after he shot a bee with a rifle telling his young daughter that they aren't pets.
jj aitken
I am an artist and i love creating environments that are spacious and foreboding for the small images i place in them, so obviously this really hit a cord with me.
The scale/environment balance in these images is perfect.
Canard Frère
L'auteur conçoit des scénettes avec des personnages miniatures qu'il colle dans les rues de Londres, prends en photo puis abandonne sur place. Le résultat est souvent humoristique et toujours surprenant.
Kevin
This guy makes a small puddle on a sidewalk look like a big lake. I like how he also creates weird little disturbing scenarios--and then leaves it there, on the sidewalk or wherever!
Matt
There are many offerings out there in the category of Coffee Table Books Featuring Hilarious Photos Taken By a Really Twisted Bastard, but this is my editor's pick at the moment.
Sze
my reactions as i flipped the pages:

"wooooow!"

"ewww"

"ha-HA!"

"oh no"

"ohmigod!!!"

felt absolutely greedy to see it all at once. but i will be returning to it.
Matt
Gotta love the artwork here. Not for all as there's a few adult-themed ones. Glad I read it before I showed it to my kids.

But it's still amazing and quite clever.
Chris S
Can't decide which is my favourite - 'Dreams of packing it all' in or 'They're not pets, Susan'. Genius.
Bert
Wonderful and fresh book! Every page made me smile, laugh and think. The biggest little book ever.
Miranda Boggs
awesome miniature people on the streets of London. Like Homies unleashed on a city
Hilary
Clever, witty and funny photographs of tiny, tiny figures in a big, big world.
Amie
Love the pictures & captions! This is a really fun book! :)
Angela
Wanted to say its cute, but its not. Its exceedingly clever.
Gary Lee
Simple.
Brilliant.

Simply Brilliant!
Jess
Sep 20, 2012 Jess rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
Balloon man and the feast are my favourites =)
Jaye
Jaye marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
 Merlin Sandhill ∞
Merlin Sandhill ∞ marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Christopher Maxwell
Christopher Maxwell marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014