Start by marking “Coming After: Essays on Poetry” as Want to Read:
Coming After: Essays on Poetry

Coming After: Essays on Poetry

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Coming After gathers critical pieces by acclaimed poet Alice Notley, author of Mysteries of Small Houses and Disobedience.

Notley explores the work of second-generation New York School poets and their allies: Ted Berrigan, Anne Waldman, Joanne Kyger, Ron Padgett, Lorenzo Thomas, and others. These essays and reviews are among the first to deal with a generation of poets noto
Published March 17th 2005 by University of Michigan Press

To ask other readers questions about Coming After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coming After

Zack
Mar 29, 2014 Zack added it
This book hit me hard. Really got me questioning my writing practice in a good way. The first 2/3rds are very good. She writes about poets and reviews their work. About half the poets I had heard of and they other half I hadn't. Her writing about poetry is so engaging that even when she wrote about poets that I hadn't read or heard of, I was still digging it. And I plan to check out some of these folks now.
The last 1/3rd of the book though, is where things start to get really crazy in a good way
Jay
How can a poetics of doubt not result in bonsai-small or annoyingly humble poetry?
How can one avoid simply telling a modish truth with their poems? (You know what I mean.)
Notley knows! Read Notley's essays "Voice" and "Thinking in Poetry": they had a comet-splash
effect on my poor half-guided poetry-self; I wish I'd read them in my first year
as a writer: I would have wasted way less time.
Celia
Is there a way on Goodreads to mark a book as something you'll read and re-read? I got this on vacation a few years ago and read it three times before I returned home. O'Hara, Padgett, Kyger and much more. And some of her best thoughts.
Renee
May 02, 2009 Renee added it
A poet's must-have.
Lane
Lane marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Niko
Niko added it
Oct 12, 2014
Meagan
Meagan added it
Dec 15, 2014
A De
A De is currently reading it
Aug 14, 2014
Shirley Ch
Shirley Ch marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Bronwyn
Bronwyn marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Sarah Cook
Sarah Cook marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Rui Carlos da Cunha
Rui Carlos da Cunha marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Jessica
Jessica is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Lauren
Lauren added it
Feb 15, 2014
Jerrod
Jerrod marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Sadie
Sadie marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2013
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
May 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Alice Notley (born 8 November 1945) is an American poet.

(from Wikipedia)
More about Alice Notley...
The Descent of Alette Mysteries of Small Houses In the Pines Grave of Light: New and Selected Poems, 1970-2005 Disobedience