Start by marking “Dreaming Again: Thirty-five New Stories Celebrating the Wild Side of Australian Fiction” as Want to Read:

Following the World Fantasy Award-winning Dreaming Down-Under, acclaimed editor Jack Dann gathers thirty-five of the best and brightest in a golden age of Australian fiction to pen fantastic new tales to shock, astound, and delight. The outstanding bestselling authors include Garth Nix, Terry Dowling, Sean McMullen, Kim Wilkins, Sara Douglass, A. Bertram Chandler, Cecilia ...more
Published September 30th 2008 by Harper Voyager (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dreaming Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreaming Again

Chris Lynch
Aug 17, 2008 Chris Lynch rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
I shouldn't really review a book that I appear in; suffice to say that I enjoyed reading a bunch of well-crafted genre stories, and am happy to see my second published story among such good company. The anthology has been nominated for an Aurealis Award, as have a number of the stories within it, and has just gone into a second printing. Good motivation: I'm aiming to finish a short story every month next year, and have already sent off my first submission for 2009.
Karissa
Dec 30, 2010 Karissa rated it really liked it
The stories in this collection are all over the place; some are horror, many are sci-fi, and many just explore other alternate realities. As a whole the collection was an enjoyable read. There is a lot here so it was not the quickest read for me; I also had a little bit of trouble reading the stories consecutively because their subject matter was so varied and disjointed. I have found that with very different short stories I sometimes need a break between them so that I can think about and proce ...more
Liviania
Jun 12, 2012 Liviania rated it it was amazing
For the past couple of weeks I've been using this collection of thirty-five speculative fiction stories from Australian writers as a present to myself. A story here, a story there, and I haven't even finished yet. (Oh, how I don't want it to end! I'm having fun!) Once I do, I need to find a copy of DREAMING DOWN-UNDER, the previous anthology edited by Jack Dann and Janeen Webb. (Janeen Webb also contributed a story to the anthology.) If it impresses me as much as this one, they're going on my ed ...more
Travis
May 17, 2010 Travis rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This review is long.... To long to post up the full length review. In stead, if you want an in-depth look at the anthology as a whole, go here: http://travizzt.wordpress.com/2010/04...

OVERALL AVERAGED ANTHOLOGY: 4/5
PERSONAL OVERALL ANTHOLOGY:2/5
Final Thoughts:
First let me address why I have two overall grades. The first grade is the averaged grade and is self-explanatory. The second is what I felt the anthology should be. This was a soul sucking book to read. Why? Because it's TOO LONG. Thirty-
Kirralee
Jan 11, 2015 Kirralee rated it liked it
It's great to see collections of Australian Fiction, and appropriately it's a very mixed bag of short stories.
This collection is pretty heavy with sci-fi themes of post apocalypse, and a few of the stories push that genre beyond its cliches. Kim Wilkins' The Forest is a standout in that respect mixing familiar components of Hansel & Gretel with a bleak industrial future landscape to create a different beast completely.
The New Deal by Trent Jamieson also has some fun with apocalypse themes i
Thoraiya
Jul 13, 2011 Thoraiya rated it really liked it
Oh yeah, just realised that I forgot to add this when I read it. Holy Weird and Wonderful Fiction, Batman! I bought this for Peter Ball's story and ended up with so much more. Aside from the whole contantly entertained thing, I managed to get myself educated, too. Who knew that Garth Nix could write such powerful adult fiction? Or that some dead guy who I'd only heard of because of all the Awards named after him had written about Feudal Japan colonising Australia well before the parallel univers ...more
Brynna
The increasing number of really stunning Australian fantasy authors I've been running across induced me to pick up this book. I'm very glad I did. The overall feel is often pretty dark and there were rather a lot of zombies, but there's enough light-heartedness to keep things balanced. Don't read this like a novel; pick one that sounds interesting (Undead Camels Ate Their Flesh?) and start there.
As with any story collection, I enjoyed some of the stories more than others. My particular favorites
George Christie
Jul 21, 2013 George Christie rated it it was ok
A handful of decent specfic surrounded by padding of sub par tripe. Only finished it because I'm so far behind on my reading goal for the year. If you do pick it up (from the library, don't buy it) read the following
The Constant Past - best in the volume
Undead Camels ate their Flesh - for the title alone
Smoking, Waiting for the Dawn - Vamps done well
Perchance ti Dream -cliche done well
This way to the Exit - decent enough mystical victorianism
Old Friends - Garth Nix tries to be Roger Zelazny or N
melydia
Sep 30, 2009 melydia rated it really liked it
A surprisingly consistent collection of quality fantasy stories by Australian authors. I haven't read much Australian lit - and indeed had only heard of one of the authors (Garth Nix) - but this was marvelous. Only a couple of the stories were boring and/or needlessly unpleasant to read. (I don't object to unpleasant reading as a general rule, but when it's unpleasant for no reason I feel manipulated.) The range is broad, from angels to zombies, humor to tragedy, modern Australia to the Garden o ...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
This is a pretty solid collection - a little too heavy on Sci Fi for me which is not really my thing. I love that there is such a quality Australian collection out there though and really appreciated a chance to read Australian writers in the genre.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
I'll have to read this again so I can review it story by story as I'm doing with my other anthologies, but the story I remember standing out was Trudi Canavan's. It's because of this that I got out her first series from my book storage.
Nathan
Dec 28, 2008 Nathan rated it really liked it
Excellent collection of short stories by Australian authors. As with any anthology, not all were to my taste, but it's a very strong collection. Highly recommended.
Carlotta
Quick Word: Some stories were well crafted, but the collection as a whole was to dark and unsettling for me.
Malini Sridharan
Feb 04, 2009 Malini Sridharan rated it really liked it
Many of the stories are run of the mill sci-fi fantasy. The post apocalyptic fairy tales are entertaining, and the one about Michael Jackson as a spaceship in the future is strange and wonderful.
Monica Tilley
Mar 21, 2016 Monica Tilley rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
As a library worker I particularly liked "The Constant Past". Everyone who works in a library should read it.
Shawn
Shawn rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2012
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2011
Lachlan
Lachlan rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2012
Paul Montador
Paul Montador rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
David
Sep 06, 2016 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Good series of short stories, unusual as many are clearly Australasian.
Dayana
Dayana rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2013
Charissa
Charissa rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2012
Sarah rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2011
Aneliese Muir
Aneliese Muir rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2010
Marci -  Serendipitous Readings
Marci - Serendipitous Readings rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2009
Chris Burton
Chris Burton rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2012
Kendra
Kendra rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2012
Yumimi
Yumimi rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2013
Sergi Viciana
Sergi Viciana rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2013
Stephen Smith
Stephen Smith rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Wicked Wood (Tales from the Tower, #2)
  • Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing
  • Emerald Magic: Great Tales of Irish Fantasy
  • The Apex Book of World SF 2 (Apex Book of World SF #2)
  • The New Space Opera
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Thirteenth Annual Collection
  • Modern Classics of Fantasy
  • Cracklescape (Twelve Planets book 7)
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror 2010
  • The Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories
  • The End of the World: Stories of the Apocalypse
  • Worlds that Weren't
  • Paper Cities: An Anthology of Urban Fantasy
  • The Monster's Corner: Stories Through Inhuman Eyes
  • Reign of Beasts (Creature Court, #3)
  • Steampunk III: Steampunk Revolution