Start by marking “Empire Of Sand” as Want to Read:
Empire Of Sand

Empire Of Sand

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The First World War rages in Europe, but intelligence officer Thomas Edward Lawrence has been consigned to the Map Room at GHQ in Cairo. Yet, spurred on by personal tragedy, he is about to unlock a secret that will alter the course of history.

Lawrence is convinced that an Arab revolt is the only way to remove the Ottoman presence and achieve a free Arabia. But through his
Published April 3rd 2008 by Headline Review (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Empire Of Sand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Empire Of Sand

Alison Smith
A great Boy's Own Adventure story : 1915 - the Middle East - T.E. LAWRENCE (AKA Lawrence of Arabia)a network of spies in Cairo, wily German provocateur- rifles, horses and camels race across the burning sands, the Arabs are treacherous,the Turks are cruel, there's plot & counter plot - men drop like flies; but officers act and die like gentloemen; brave men pilot bi-planes AND there's a woman, disguised as an Arab boy ... I REALLY had my money's worth with this one! Bravo, Mr Ryan!
Nuno Magalhães
Este livro de Robert Ryan centra-se na personalidade de Thomas Edward Lawrence, oficial do Exército Britânico, e na respectiva influência da revolta Árabe contra o Império Otomano que ocupava a Palestina e que se desenvolveu durante a 1ª Grande Guerra do Século XX no Próximo Oriente. A prosa do autor é muito interessante, por vezes complexa, e integra de uma forma fluída relatos de acontecimentos passados no Cairo e Aqaba, cidades controladas pelos Britânicos, bem como no Sudoeste da Pérsia (act ...more
Graham S
Hard to come to a definite conclusion as I didn't really get the point of the book. Most of the story focuses on one episode in Persia in 1915 which was a good adventure story well told. I certainly got the feel of the desert and the privations and dangers of the soldiers and local tribesman. A cruel and often short life, it seems. Were the characters real? -it seems so after reading the Author's note at the end, but Lawrence comes over as having almost magical powers, always spotting the decept ...more
Iceman
D.E. Lawrence foi uma personagem fascinante na revolta árabe durante a 1ª Grande Guerra. Fascinante e deveras misterioso, pois a sua história ainda hoje não é totalmente conhecida, existindo muitos pormenores e factos por esclarecer, assim como acontecimentos sem quaisquer explicações.

Em todo o caso esta é uma obra de ficção, mas os acontecimentos descritos sucederam mesmo e isso faz com que o presente livro seja, de facto, um romance notável.

Mas a estrutura e a escrita simples do autor ajudam.
Caz
I really enjoyed this book, I wanted to learn some more of Lawrence of Arabia. This book was captivating from beginning to end. The author had carefully researched facts known about Lawrence and mixed fiction with non-fiction to give a very convincing account. Clearly the author was in awe of Lawrence and made continuous references to his natural leadership, intelligence and master thinking - so much so that any of Lawrences' flaws or mistakes were also written in a positive way which made him c ...more
Lango142
I enjoyed this book as a quick read and a change of pace from some others I've read lately.
It's a good romp through the early imagined history of T E Lawrence and as I've never read 'seven pillars' it gives a flavour of how Lawrence may have been. The story has a drive to it and introduces a number of historical figures that I will investigate further. So worth a read.
Stefan
"Empire of Sand" explored the early military career of T. E. Lawrence. The story explored the dynamic conflict that occurred Lawrence and Wilhelm Wassmus (a German agent). The author effectively incorporated numerous historical events and people. I found that the plot, at times, became somewhat tedious. Otherwise, it was a decent thriller.
Ron Decaigny
Populated with mostly actual people this is a painless and enjoyable way to gain insight into the people and happenings of the time. Throw in a good (and plausable)story and you can't go wrong. Mr Ryan has certainly done his homework. Well worth the time.
Sandra
I enjoyed the book, but I am not sure how close it conforms to the real Lawrence of Arabia.
Mercedes
Didn't finish it. Couldn't get into it.
Paul Vilarino
fun book, for summer time reading
Khalid
A good read. :-)
Leeps
Leeps marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Llyren
Llyren marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Loki Carbis
Loki Carbis marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Beena Mistry
Beena Mistry marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
James Wilson
James Wilson marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Jacques
Jacques is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2014
Rachel Amphlett
Rachel Amphlett marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
aka Tom Neale

Robert Ryan was born in Liverpool but moved to London when he was eighteen to attend university. He lectured in natural sciences for several years before moving into journalism in the mid-1980s, first with The Face and then the Dylan Jones-edited Arena. During this time, he also wrote for The Daily Telegraph, US GQ, US Conde Nast Traveler, Esquire and The Sunday Times.

Robert Ryan live
More about Robert Ryan...
Early One Morning The Blue Noon. Robert Ryan Dead Man's Land (Dr John Watson, #1) Death On The Ice Night Crossing