On Being a Servant of God

On Being a Servant of God

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Sometimes people lose sight of the core of their ministry. They feel overwhelmed by the needs that surround them on a daily basis. Wise and beloved pastor Warren Wiersbe invites ministry leaders to listen in on thirty short "armchair chats" to encourage and strengthen them for service. He shares what he wishes he had known about ministering to others when he began his own...more
Published June 1st 2007 by Baker Books (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about On Being a Servant of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Being a Servant of God

(3)loving channels to
(4)the glory of God"

Ministry's definition
Ministry's motive

Luther: "Prayer, meditation and temptation make a minister"

Really good collection of thoughts about ministry based on the above quotation.
Bryant
I'm reading this book for my Practical Christian Ministry class and it has been extremely awesome so far! Invaluable insight for every Christian in their service to the Lord.
Carol
Wiersbe began his ministry in 1956 and he didn't have a clear vision of what Christian work was all about. "Methods are many, principals are few; Methods always change, principals never do." Wiersbe realized that methods only work because of the principal behind them. (Wiersbe in my opinion is exceptional writer, love his BE series also!)

His four elements of ministry:
1. Divine Resource
2. The Human Need
3. Loving Channels
4. The Glory of God *most important

Our first step is to confess our bankruptc...more
Bendick Ong

Was passed this neat book which is actually a good pool of resources if one is thinking of encouraging fellow christians – mainly cos each chapter (wiersbe used “chat”) is around 1-8 pages long and capable of standing by its own.

Have found some that are real worth reading (which i marked with an *) and since the chapters come without a title, thought it would be useful to name them for future reference!:

introduction
elements of christian ministry 1: divine resources*
elements of christian ministry...more
Kent
Warren Wiersbe is one of those guys who writes so clearly and simply that you can question his depth in between readings. But then you pick up one of his books to read again, and you're reminded how of how wrong you were.

On Being a Servant of God is comprised of 30 short chapters on various aspects of ministry and servanthood. It is thoroughly practical, biblical, and wise, and filled with illustrations. Each chapter is devoted to a specific topic, like money, criticism, enemies, bad days, loya...more
Ebookwormy
My husband and I read this book with other small group leaders for spiritual enrichment. "The thirty 'chats' in this book deal with some principles of ministry that I wish somebody had shared with me when I was ordained back in 1951..." states Wiersbe's introduction. This book delivers. Every chat is full of pithy wisdom and rich clear principles for life and ministry. Topics are diverse and include: defining effective ministry, avoiding pitfalls, loyalty, notes to the seniors, notes to the youn...more
Simon Genoe
Loads of truth but becomes a bit dry half way thru! Worth a read tho
Chad Duke
Must Read if you are in Christian leadership
René
That has a lot of good information about the challenges of ministry from the perspective of one that's been there. He doesn't offer easy answers, but he does not preach doom and gloom either. He's realistic that it's difficult, but it's good.

It's a little old school, so sometimes I had to reread parts because the wording was cumbersome, but overall, the information was helpful and encouraging.
Crissy
Nov 12, 2007 Crissy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All Christians
This book helped me to realize my role as a servant, like Christ was a servant. With all the psuedo-christian books out there about "getting your best life now" this one really brings it home that its not about living the "Good life" but its about living A GOOD LIFE for others and not your own selfish desires. I loved it.
Philip
From advice on leaving a ministry to encouragement to those entering the ministry, this book provides helpful advice for the pastor. Even the layman who seeks involvement in the church will learn powerful lessons from this book. This book is a "must read" for every pastor or Christian worker.
Jeff Davis
I recommend this book to everyone who is a Christ disciple. This is one of the books that has truly been influencial to me not only as a pastor, but as a Christian who tries to live in a way that pleases my Father. I have read it multiple times.
Kayla
Book provides great reflection on your Christian walk and how to be better. It's hard out here -- in the world -- and the book acknowledges that well. Talks about being in the world without "being of the world."
Sherrie
Good and Practical advice for anyone in ministry or MINISTRY!! Leaders of any group or organization (who claim to be servants of GOD) should get this book and should read it at least once every six months.
Alex Seals
This book has short snippits on different subjects on, well, being a servant of God. I like what the author had to say, but to be honest, I cannot remember too much of the book right now.
Peter
This is such a soul searching book. I read 10 pages put it down and digest, then read ten more. It's that kind of book.
Benjamin
Probably the only book that I have ever read through more than twice. One of the best ministry books to digest and chew on...
Steven Potts
This is a good book to help one look at what it means to be a Christian and how to apply it to today's life.
Shawn Smith
This is a wonderful book for all Christians to read. It gives practical suggestions for real ministry.
Andrea
Good book for anybody in ministry whether a pastor or the one cleaning the bathrooms. :)
Krinda
Amazing book on HOW relevant this info is to my daily Christian walk! LOVE this book!
Deb Brammer
Fantastic book for people in ministry! I found this book enormously helpful!
Angelo Terminel
Each chapter in this book is like a well written and thought thru sermon.
Michael Newton
Great book for what it is to be a servant. Good one to keep rereading.
Whitney Alese
one of my favorite books on ministry. simple, direct and to the point
Christina
Every person who is serving in any capacity should read this book.
Cory
Such an awesome book. I might read it again.
Lluvsknitting
Very insightful. Down to earth!
Joshua
Helpful book on practical ministry.
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
  • A Quest For More: Living For Something Bigger than You
  • The Mark of a Man
  • Does God Control Everything? (Crucial Questions, #14)
  • Contending for Our All: Defending Truth and Treasuring Christ in the Lives of Athanasius, John Owen, and J. Gresham Machen  (The Swans Are Not Silent, #4)
  • Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
  • Preaching and Preachers
  • The Godly Man's Picture
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
Warren W. Wiersbe, former pastor of the Moody Church and general director of Back to the Bible, has traveled widely as a Bible teacher and conference speaker. Because of his encouragement to those in ministry, Dr. Wiersbe is often referred to as 'the pastor's pastor.' He has ministered in churches and conferences throughout the United States as well as in Canada, Central and South America, and Eur...more
More about Warren W. Wiersbe...
The Strategy of Satan: How to Detect and Defeat Him 50 People Every Christian Should Know: Learning from Spiritual Giants of the Faith 10 People Every Christian Should Know Be Mature (James): Growing Up in Christ Be Joyful (Philippians): Even When Things Go Wrong, You Can Have Joy

“He who has a thousand friends     has not a friend to spare, And he who has one enemy     shall meet him everywhere.” 0 likes
“Money is the “god of this world,” and it empowers millions of people to enjoy life by living on substitutes. With money, they can buy entertainment, but they can’t buy joy. They can go to the drugstore and buy sleep, but they can’t buy peace. Their money will attract lots of acquaintances but very few real friends. Wealth gains them admiration and envy but not love. It buys the best in medical services, but it can’t buy health.” 0 likes