Start by marking “Confessional (Liam Devlin, #3)” as Want to Read:
Confessional (Liam Devlin, #3)

Confessional (Liam Devlin #3)

If you are the head of the KGB and wanted to plant some of the really deep cover and the West, what kind of occupation would you trade him for? In what occupation which they never expect to find a man who, with handgun, could split an apple -- or a head -- across a large room?

What kind of man would get close enough to kill the Pope after the Turks and Bulgarians botched it

Published January 13th 1997 by Signet Books (first published April 1st 1985)

Dimitris
Jan 18, 2016 Dimitris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ένα βιβλίο που βρήκα εντελώς τυχαία, μεταχειρισμένο μόλις με 1€ κάπου στα Εξάρχεια. Έκδοση του 1986 αν δεν κάνω λάθος.

Η ιστορία πιάνει Σοβιετική Ένωση, Ηνωμένο Βασίλειο, Ιρλανδία, IRA, κάτι λίγο από Παρίσι την περίοδο του πολέμου Falklands μεταξύ Ηνωμένου Βασιλείου και Αργεντινής. Έχει αρκετό ενδιαφέρον, διαβάζεται ευχάριστα και κατά περιπτώσεις έχει αρκετά γρήγορη ροή. Δεν είναι σίγουρα κάποιο αριστούργημα αλλά πέρασα όμορφα διαβάζοντάς το.
Eric_W
Jul 25, 2010 Eric_W rated it liked it
I thought I would give Higgins another try. Several years ago I listened to part of a Sean Dillon novel and it must have been the reader. I quit half way through. This one is read by a different reader and perhaps it's the narration or simply a better story, but this one was riveting. The KGB has planted a mole/sleeper in Ireland. He was trained in a replica of a little Irish community located in the Ukraine (yes, it's dated, so what?). Kelly is charged with fomenting discard between the Irish a ...more
Arqam
Jul 29, 2015 Arqam rated it it was ok
Thriller-History-Spy novel i suppose.
Disappointed by reading Higgins as heard a lot good about him,
Thrill there was none!
At Points felt like struggling to read instead of enjoying, Suppose that what i read for.
I seemed to me at times that story nowhere and everywhere.
Too much of drama involved, would have made a reasonable movie out of it.
Character seemed to fade away, some i just can't think why.
The whole story was like building house of card and as you come close it would scatter again.
Christian D.  Orr
Mar 16, 2017 Christian D. Orr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller fans, Jack Higgins fans
This is the first Jack Higgins novel I've read in 30 years (that one being "The Run to Morning, back when I was at the tender age of 11 y/o). It's such a pleasure to rediscover Jack's writings after all these years; now that I've got my own military, law enforcement, and international travel experience (to include England, Scotland and Ireland alike) of my own, as well as an academic background in International Relations (baccalaureate degree from the University of Southern California) I'm able ...more
James N Fulton, Jr.
A bit of a thriller

This was a good read. The time passed very quickly and I enjoyed it. The bad guy us a surprise
Sandeep Ellawala
Before I started reading this book, I wanted to see if it was worth my time by reading some of the reviews in Goodreads and Amazon. This is not something I would usually do, and I might not do it anytime sooner, especially since these reviews did not do me much good. About half the reviews were giving this book very high ratings, and the rest the exact opposite. However, now that I am done, I know for a fact that this in deed is a good book with a very interesting story to tell.

The story is fast
Amy L. Campbell
Although the characters started out cardboard flat and just as bland, by the end of the book I really got a good feeling for the "bad guy", heretofore referred to as The Priest so as not to spoil his identity. The rest of the characters mostly remained paperdolls in The Priest's play, moving around as clever chess pieces to foil and ultimately thwart him. This is not a spoiler, so much as a trope of murder mysteries, so there. Ultimately however, The Priest does win in a way by redeeming himself ...more
Cal
Dec 13, 2013 Cal rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ed
Apr 10, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#3 in the Liam Devlin series. Devlin, former IRA gunman, has retired to the life of University English professor. He is called out of retirement to help catch a Cuchulain, a Russian trained terrorist. He hasn't been identified from the photos that British Intelligence has and Devlin is the only one mutually trusted to oversee the review of IRA photos. A thrilling 1985 series entry for the agent first met in The Eagle Has Landed (1975).

Liam Devlin series - Mikhail Kelly’s credentials were impecca
Ajitabh Pandey

The Liam Devlin character is quite special in a way that he is not everywhere in the book and rather the author gives each and every character in a chance to be in the book and do justice to the story. At the end of this book I felt pity towards the bad guy and I must admit I kind of started liking him. He was the one who was in the book everywhere rather than the main character. Always three steps ahead of Devlin, he finally died bu
Dark-Draco
An assassin working in deep cover in Ireland, perpetuating the troubles between Catholic and Protestant on orders from his Russian masters. A young pianist the only person who can identify him. An old rogue sent to catch him.

That's the general premise of the book and basically what the blurb on the back says. An ok story and some good characters, but like the other books I have read by this author, I thought it had a real problem with pacing. And if the story is supposed to centre on Tanya and L
Shreya Nimma
Jul 11, 2013 Shreya Nimma rated it it was ok
Well, this was an unusual book. It's not often when you find an author with skill but a plot which has absolutely no head or tail. As soon as I finished reading the book, my first thought was "This should have been split up into two books". Why? Because by the time we get to the end, it's not in any way related to the beginning. Characters are simply tossed off to the side and loose ends are left hanging. What happened to Tanya Vorovoniva during the second half to the end? What about all the cha ...more
Paul Westwood
This book isn't an amazing piece of literature, character study or even a clever and complex thriller but for some reason it is still a compelling read.
Even though it is set in the 80s it feels like it's still set in the fifties; all the characters wear cliched provincial clothing like tam-o-shanters, felt hats and tweed jackets and there isn't a track suit, rollerboot or neon leg warmer in sight.
The characters themselves are mostly one dimensional apart from Cussane who's duplicity is a large
Akshay Parakkote
Mar 07, 2016 Akshay Parakkote rated it really liked it
An assassin disguised as a priest is planning to murder the pope and the man assigned to stop him is Liam Devlin who don't know that his best friend father harry cussane is the assassin.... What else do anyone need to get started on this awesome thriller.. if you're a fan of Acton, spy, guns and shoot outs go for it
Chris
Aug 31, 2009 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Confessional was a fun and quick read. I enjoyed the transitions that the author used to keep the story moving; rather than rehashing the story and plot each time a new character is introduced Jack Kiggins used a very clever method of relaying that the pertenent info was related to the next character. This technique keeps the pages turning.
Mujahid Shariff
Jul 03, 2013 Mujahid Shariff rated it it was amazing
I read this book so many years back in my early teens and it was such a novel experience for me back then to feel sorry for the main protagonist of the book, a man who spends decades fueling the conflicts in Ireland, a man who is an outright baddie and a man who has good in him. Very well written. I loved it.
Lee
This book is the second Higgins book with Liam Devlin. The KGB has an assassin stirring up trouble in Ireland keeping the British and the IRA at each other’s throats. Devlin is the liaison between Charles Ferguson’s army and the IRA to root out the KGB mole. It ends with a chase across the UK as they seek to stop him from assassinating the Pope. Typical fast paced Higgins action.
Paul Hosty
Feb 17, 2014 Paul Hosty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've just finished this excellent story and I have to admire the way the author draws you into the character of the trained killer who is, yet, masquerading as a man of God.
It's a fast-moving tale, far-fetched at times perhaps. But I found it immensely entertaining and I would highly recommend it. The relationship between Harry and the young girl, Morag, was especially touching.
Dana Burda
Jul 17, 2016 Dana Burda rated it really liked it
Romanul scriitorului englez Jack Higgins a aparut la editura Humanitas, in de mult disparuta colectie "Lynx", in anul 1992 si face parte din romanele care au ca personaj pe Liam Devlin. Recenzia romanului poate fi gasita pe Literatura pe tocuri.ro
Adrian Johnson
May 06, 2014 Adrian Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Confessional

Really complex start for the characters. As the story developed the personalities refined and provided very interesting characters. The pursuit at the end increased my pulse just a bit. Good read.
Lu
Dec 16, 2014 Lu rated it it was amazing
Just put it down and I've literally been glued to the pages!
Great plot, characters you can't help falling in love with and written so smoothly I got to the end without even realizing it! Jack Higgins and Liam Devlin do not disappoint!
Bob
Apr 01, 2015 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a Russian sleeper agent becomes active in Ireland trying to keep the "Troubles" from a peaceful resolution Tony Villiers has to bring in Liam Devlin in to help find him when it is learned that he may be targeting the Pope on a visit to England. A 1985 Higgins and a good read as usual.
Steve
Jul 27, 2015 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
A great story line about a deep undercover agent from the KGB deployed to strife -ridden Ireland. The agent is eventually found out and the KGB, IRA and British intelligence all work to destroy him.
Travis
Jun 03, 2011 Travis rated it it was ok
Found this in a box going to the used bookstore. I did not realize that this was a sequel. Not my normal genre, but I may have to try the other books sometime. I found the ending abrupt, but there was no other way to end the book.
dennis barron
Apr 08, 2015 dennis barron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
.Confessional by jack higgins

Very fast moving,full of action and intrigue,as are all of higgins books. A KGB sleeper agent. Who is also a Catholic priest embarks on his last mission..to kill the pope. I enjoyed this book immensely!!
Mark Fallon
Jul 19, 2013 Mark Fallon rated it really liked it
Shelves: brain-candy
A re-release of a Higgins classic from the 1980s. An appearance by Liam Devlin, as well as some cross-over elements from "Exocet". Always love it when he has the IRA helping the British Secret Service. Then again, the assassin's target is the Pope!
Neil
Mar 06, 2015 Neil rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
It was ok. Story was set in the 90's so quite dated and it showed in the storyline but I still enjoy these simple reads. They always follow a pattern and you know what is comming next. Good to have on your phne when you're out and about with nothing to do.
David
Jan 17, 2016 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another multiple read book from before Goodreads existed.
Finishes off the "Liam Devlin" series
? time read - 2016-02-15
Hal Zenner
Jul 07, 2014 Hal Zenner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This was a good cold-war thriller involving the Irish - British conflict. The main character was very well crafted as a compassionate terrorist / assassin. Well done.
Susan
Oct 29, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
You just can't go wrong with Jack Higgins!
  • Flesh Wounds (Inspector Troy, #5)
  • A Game of Spies
  • A Gathering of Saints
  • The Double-Cross System The Incredible True Story of How Nazi Spies Were Turned into Double Agents
  • My Life in and out of the Rough: The Truth Behind All That Bull**** You Think You Know About Me
  • Pavel & I
  • The Once and Future Spy
  • Looking for a Ship
  • The Revolt of Gunner Asch
  • Jade Tiger  (Kenneth Aubrey and Patrick Hyde, #4)
  • Golf in the Kingdom
  • Ice Reich
  • The Rise of Robin Hood (Outlaw Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Zig Zag: The Incredible Wartime Exploits Of Double Agent Eddie Chapman
  • Double Death: The True Story of Pryce Lewis, the Civil War's Most Daring Spy
  • A Visible Darkness (Hanno Stiffeniis, #3)
  • Letters From a Murderer (Finley Jameson & Joseph Argenti #1)
  • Assignment in Brittany
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan
More about Jack Higgins...

Liam Devlin (4 books)
  • The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1)
  • Touch the Devil (Liam Devlin, #2)
  • The Eagle Has Flown (Liam Devlin, #4)