Start by marking “Do or Die” as Want to Read:
Do or Die

Do or Die

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Do or Die is the first insider account of teenage gangs--the lives, loves, and battles of children who kill--from the only journalist ever allowed inside this closed and dangerous world.

This is no West Side Story. Welcome to a world where teenagers wear colostomy bags and have scrapbooks filled with funeral invitations; where a young man, after being shot in the chest, dri
Published May 20th 1992 by Harper Perennial (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Do or Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do or Die

Always Running by Luis J. RodríguezGang Leader for a Day by Sudhir VenkateshWest Side Story by Irving ShulmanMonster by Sanyika ShakurNo Angel by Jay Dobyns
Gang Life
9th out of 40 books — 22 voters
The Gangs of New York by Herbert AsburyPaddy Whacked by T.J. EnglishThe Westies by T.J. EnglishGo Down Together by Jeff GuinnFive Families by Selwyn Raab
Gangland Histories
63rd out of 87 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Andrea
A well-written, fascinating look at LA gang culture.

2/13- Just read this book again for the xth time. It's one I go back to every couple of years and I still find it relevant and good reading.

chantel nouseforaname
Not a review so much as thoughts on my reading experience with this book:

the views expressed made perfect sense. the lessons in this book were very important and to hear them come from the O.G.'s themselves reminds me that even though we're living in hard times, the people - they're not sleeping.

My thoughts are with everyone who's ever been touched or lost someone due to gang violence.

I definitely recommend this book to anyone who would like to understand why the word "senseless" comes into pl
Jim
This book was okay, but how awsome is the cover! If you're going to read a book about life as an L.A. gangbanger -and who doesn't -read "Monster: The Autobiography of an L.A. Gang Member" by Sanyika Shakur.
Bryan Luna
Reader Response

I am currently reading the book Do Or Die by Leon Bing. I find the book really interesting because the author is a journalist, and he is actually really talking to kids ages 13-16, and they are all in gangs. He is specifically talking to kids in Blood and Crip sets. The kids are in a type of camp for juveniles, the judge has to assign you to go to the camp depending on what charges you are facing. In this camp the only way to get out is join “points”. You earn points by obeying th
Clifford 1-HunDredd  Brown
Tupac read this book
haven't read it myself yet
here's video he mentioned it around 4:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCsgu...
Frank Padron
stories about gang life intrigue me for some reason good read and Leon Really gets into the lifestyle of these gang members which I can't imagine isn't easy to do...
Tony Hatwell
Another great gang member read
Taina (Tiny♥Hearts)
An interesting read from Leon Bing and her intrepid journey through the life of LA gangs and the ins and outs of what goes on in a juvenile detention for young boys: Camp Kilpatrick. Although these kids live behind enemy lines when living under the same roof of their gang rivalries, teenagers get a chance to tell about their life and how they have become the person today. Set in the seventies so these children would be grown men.
Rafael
The thing I liked about this book is all the conflict it has. Even though this book seem bad for kids its really not I think it's better. By that I mean that the kids can see what not to get into when they grow up or when there out in the streets. This is why I think its a good book. I wish i could write this with a group for i can see there reaction to this book when we read it.
Dan
I think this gave me nightmares.
There's one bit that I always remember: in brief, there's mention of a gang's raid on an Army base to get weapons. That's just pure madness (and anti-American!).
Then again, when there's a whole lot of money involved, I guess folks'll go that distance.
Edwin Kort
geen boek om eens gezellig te lezen.

Schrijfster interviewed een aantal jongeren over de strijd tussen de verschillende jeugd-bendes in hun stad.
Lonnie
I read this book a while back and found it very interesting, as someone else commented, it's one of those books that never grows old, I go back to it often.
Heather
It's been forever since I read this book, but as I recall it gave a pretty good background on how gangs began in CA and was a fascinating read.
Erica
Feb 11, 2009 Erica marked it as to-read
This book is depressing the hell out of me. It has to go back to the library for now, perhaps I will pick it up again later.

Nick
I read this for a college class. And it was an interesting read. it had several interviews with different views on the gang life.
Edgar
It is a good book and it gives you a glimpse of what it is like to be in prison and to be a gang member.
Eliza
Don't let the cover dissuade you- this is a great read.
Mandy37
Love the show love the book
Danielle Chincarini
Danielle Chincarini marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Adam Shuttleworth
Adam Shuttleworth marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Colin Day
Colin Day marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Smoovelife Dayday
Smoovelife Dayday marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Leah B
Leah B marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Brian Wiley
Brian Wiley marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Mary A
Mary A marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Ted
Ted marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
  • Code of the Street: Decency, Violence, and the Moral Life of the Inner City
  • Pagan and Christian Creeds: Their Origin and Meaning
  • Always Running
  • The Dark Side of Christian History
  • The Hip-Hop Generation: Young Blacks and the Crisis in African-American Culture
  • Virtual History: Alternatives And Counterfactuals
  • 8 Ball Chicks
  • Zen Speaks: Shouts of Nothingness
  • Sidewalk
  • On Having No Head: Zen and the Rediscovery of the Obvious
  • Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets: A Comprehensive Guide to Trading Methods and Applications
  • My Bloody Life: The Making of a Latin King
Smoked: A True Story About The Kids Next Door Swans and Pistols: Modeling, Motherhood, and Making It in the Me Generation Wrongful Death, A: One Child's Fatal Encounter with Public Health and Private Greed Swans and Pistols