Start by marking “Synthetic Men of Mars (Barsoom, #9)” as Want to Read:
Synthetic Men of Mars (Barsoom, #9)
Read Book

Synthetic Men of Mars (Barsoom #9)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  2,112 ratings  ·  55 reviews
John Carter desperately needed the aid of Barsoom's greatest scientist, Ras Thavas, who is now a prisoner of a nightmare army of his own creation.
Mass Market Paperback, 160 pages
Published January 12th 1980 by Del Rey (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Synthetic Men of Mars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Synthetic Men of Mars

Sandy
"Synthetic Men of Mars" is the 9th of 11 books in Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars series. It first appeared serially in "Argosy Magazine" in early 1939, and is one of the most way-out entries in the Carter series. The book may be seen as a sequel of sorts to book #6, "The Master Mind of Mars," in that Ras Thavas, the eponymous superbrain of that earlier work, here makes a return, and the bulk of the action once again takes place in the dismal and forbidding Toonolian Marshes of Barsoom ...more
Curtiss
Although not generally well-thought of compared with other ERB stories set on Barsoom, this is a personnal favorite aside from the openning sequence of the first three John Carter books. How can you resist a character grown in a culture vat, whose name Tor-Dur-Bar means four-million-eight, and whom the hero first encounters as a severed head which complains it can't see from where it is being carried in a net strapped to the back of a giant man-carrying bird?!?

Especially, when later on our curre
Roddy Williams
John Carter, Mighty Warlord of Mars, rides to new and terrifying adventures.

Captured by deadly warriors mounted on huge birds he is taken to the ill-omened city of Morbus.
There he meets Ras Thavas, evil genius and master surgeon. A man who has succeeded in his nightmare wish of creating life in his own beings – creatures that ultimately rebel and threaten the lives of Ras Thavas, of John Carter and of all Mars.

Blurb to the 1973 NEL paperback edition.

Using more or less the same plot as ‘A Pri
Mary Catelli
This is the tale of one Vor Daj. John Carter went in search of Ras Tavas, and yielding to pleas, brought along one soldier. They quickly find that finding him will not be easy.

Indeed, they are taken prisoner, along with some others, include one woman, and taken to the city, encircled by marshes, where they find that Ras Thavas is the prisoner of his own synthetic men, and forced to produce more and more of the virtually unkillable monsters. And to transplant the brains of the most powerful of th
Adrian Colesberry
I loved this whole series. It's pretty sexual and macho and they're all massive page-turners.

Same review for each.
Robert Saunders
These were considered "planetary romances" according to one source back when this series from the creator of Tarzan, Edgar Rice Burroughs, was written. This series of about 10 books started in 1912 and culminated around 1948. There's an odd mention of a book in 1964, but the other had been dead for 14 years by then. Plus there are a few shorts published in some pulp periodicals of the 1940s (where many of these stories appeared in years prior).

Today we call this stuff sci-fi, but it's quite diff
Eero
In this book, we meet again Ras Thavas, the Master Mind of Mars, whose latest invention, the vat-grown synthetic men or hormads, have gotten out of his control and taken over his base, the island city of Morbus in the marshes of Toonol. John Carter has need of the Master Mind's surgical skill to save the life of Dejah Thoris, who has been injured in a flier accident (offstage; we never meet her in this book). Thus he sets out to search for Ras Thavas with Vor Daj, the narrator of the story.

They
Joe Aguiar
Synthetic Men of Mars is the 9th book in Edgar Rice Burroughs' Martian Tales and it is also one of the best of the latter part of the series. The story opens with John Carter's beloved Dejah Thoris being gravely injured in an accident and Carter sets out with faithful padawan, Vor Daj to find the Mastermind of Mars, Ras Thavas to use his surgical genius to save her. They find Thavas after being captured and brought to Morbus, an island in the middle of the Great Toonolian Marshes, where Thavas i ...more
Joseph
Edgar Rice Burroughs had this problem in all of his series: After a while, the quality of the books would start to slip -- maybe he was getting bored or maybe he'd just start repeating himself. Arguably, this is where the Mars series begins its downhill slide (which means that, percentage-wise, John Carter has less dross than the other major series -- Tarzan, Venus and Pellucidar).

This book is again narrated from the perspective of a native Barsoomian, Vor Daj, who accompanies John Carter on one
Tomislav
This is book 9 of Burroughs' Barsoom (Mars) series. The story was originally published in Argosy Magazine, during 1938-1939. Burroughs started the series in 1917, and this book was written 22 years later, after his fame had been well established for a generation. It's a reunion of a few established characters, but mostly the adventure of Vor Daj, a young guard serving John Carter, the Warlord of Mars. Shortly after the action begins, Vor's brain is transplanted into the body of a vat-bred brute ...more
Àlvar Mercadé Ibáñez
La novena novela de Marte es probablemente la más entretenida ya que tiene elementos de los más originales (con respecto a los otros libros de la saga) y las situaciones más divertidas e inesperadas usando nuevas razas y territorios de Marte a la vez que recupera a Ras Thavas, The Master Mind of Mars.

Imprescindible haber leído antes el libro The Master Mind of Mars. De lectura muy recomendable.
Richard Tolleson
A lot of reviews think this is one of the weaker books in the series, but it certainly held my interest. Granted, the last third of the book is too long, with too many dead plot ends, but the part in the laboratory at the beginning of the book is as exciting as anything ERB wrote.
Ikonopeiston
This serves the purpose of diverting the mind from more serious if tedious reading. Alas, the vigour of the earlier Barsoomian stories has grown attenuated and repetitive in this book. Still it has its moments, one almost Swiftian, in which Burroughs mocks the pretensions of some aspects of society which he knew.

I have noticed as I read through this series that Burroughs becomes more explicit and suggestive as he goes along. In the first several books, no hint of prurience is tolerated and it i
John
Another solid pulp fiction entry in the John Carter series. Damsels in distress, chivalry, gelatinous mutant flesh blobs, sword play, and space ships - Yes please! I'll be sad to say goodbye to this series in a few more books.
Stephen Brooke
Typical of Burroughs's later Barsoom novels, 'Synthetic Men of Mars' is more slowly paced, with its characters spending more time plotting than sword-fighting. It remains inventive, even if the science part of the science fiction here is often a bit preposterous. ERB, as usual, manages to throw in his social commentary -- the dry humor involved sometimes works, sometimes comes off as heavy-handed.

An enjoyable enough escapist read, SMOM is not the equal of the early Barsoom work. The wonder of hi
Joanne
great book, very exciting, couldn;t stop reading!!! this is gonna rank in my top 10 favorite series of all time!!!!
Christopher
A return to the scene of Mastermind of Mars. There's a little body-swapping, plus clone warfare and a gray goo scenario. The romance this time has a strong "beauty's only skin deep" theme, which (like book 7) represents a welcome twist relative to the love-at-first-sight plot driver otherwise so prevalent on Barsoom. But this wasn't in the top half of the series. There's nothing very complicated or interesting about the plot. Stupidity is a repeated motif. The discussion of air traffic patterns ...more
Jessica Baumgartner
I love Burroughs, this story has a Beauty and the Beast type story that I absolutely love.
Fraser Sherman
The weakest in the series so far. Burroughs spends too much time on the artificial lifeforms of the title (who to be fair would have seemed a lot weirder at the time) and lots of games as peoples' brains get transferred into different bodies.
Bill Zodanga
Please note, this 5 star rating is based on my long ago memories of this book - I may have read it greater than 20 years ago. I recall reading and really liking it, and even kept the book to read again in the future (something I only do with good, or otherwise significant books). The memories of an old man are sometimes faulty so this could really only warrant 3.5 to 4.5 stars, instead of the 5 I gave it. Once I re-read the book I will update this rating/review to more accurately reflect my thou ...more
Trish
Kevin Beverley introduced me to Goodreads through his posts on Facebook. Following Kevin's example, I explored the program and developed a list of books to read. Synthetic Men of Mars is a science fiction novel written by Tarzan's creator Edgar Rice Burroughs. A bit old-fashioned when compared with today's Sci Fi novels and not so well written as other books by Burroughs, it nevertheless moves quickly; it has a romantic theme and a happy ending, in which the hero wins the princess.
Rodney
It's the Barsoom series, so this is pretty par for the course. Like many of the others, an interesting read, albeit somewhat predictable. However, the plot line is enough to keep me reading, and will not deter me from reading the last two in the series. What is interesting about this series is how Burroughs finds ways to bring new life to past characters and his ability to simply create a new species of people for the purposes of a new book. It works. It's formulaic, but it works.
Adam Griffith
Very reminiscent of the other books, but still entertaining. The mastermind of Mars, Ras Thavas, is back with more body switching. He is not seen as bad this time as he helps John Carter and his friend Vor Daj who narrates the story.
H
Another wild Martian tale from the pen of Edgar Rice Burroughs. John Carter is in this one but he is not front and center. Dejah Thoris is back in Helium with a broken back and John Carter has gone in search of Ras Thevas (The Master Mind of Mars) to heal her. But he's up to his eyeballs(literally) in synthesizing grotesque humanoids for an army. Burroughs always gets me to turn the page no matter how outlandish his tales.
Erik Graff
Aug 07, 2010 Erik Graff rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Barsoom fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
This was one of the few Burroughs books I picked up in Chicago during the school year rather than up in Michigan during the summer. I recall reading it in one sitting one night in bed in my room on Belle Plaine Avenue in Park Ridge, Illinois, probably during the Christmas vacation. I also recall thinking it rather silly--so much so that this may have been the last time I read one of Burroughs' books.
Kent
This might be my least favorite in the series so far, but it is still a fun little story. John Carter plays a larger role in this one, but the story is told by or Daj. The story tells of John Carter and Daj searching for Ras Thavas, the mastermind of mars, so that they might help Dejah Thoris, who has sustained horrible injuries. It's a nice little adventure book and good for a quick read.
Robb
Jan 17, 2009 Robb rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kids 13 and under
It's been so long since I've read these books that the details are lost in the mist of time. That said, I'm sure there are variations in the quality of story and prose throughout this series (it's Burroughs, after all), but I choose to remember the series as a whole, and rate it as I remember it through the eyes and mind of the child that read it for the first time...
Paul
Good, but not super riveting.
Donna Montgomery
This one uses the body-switching action we previously saw in The Master Mind of Mars, but it's got more humor and yick-factor. As with that previous book, there's a mixed "love is blind, but not quite that blind" message.
  • Almuric
  • John Carter of Mars: Warlord of Mars
  • Space Viking
  • Lord Of The Spiders Or Blades Of Mars (Michael Kane, Vol. 2)
  • Sinister Barrier
  • Star Born (Pax/Astra, #2)
  • Lucky Starr and the Oceans of Venus (Lucky Starr, #3)
  • Sunborn (Chaos Chronicles, #4)
  • Planets of Adventure
  • A Knight of Ghosts and Shadows
  • The Lost Oasis (Doc Savage, #6)
  • Iceworld
  • In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • The Return of Nathan Brazil (Saga of the Well World, #4)
  • Greyhaven
  • My So Called Death
  • The Repairman
  • Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life (Bantam Sf, Q8834)
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.
More about Edgar Rice Burroughs...

Barsoom (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • A Princess of Mars (Barsoom, #1)
  • The Gods of Mars (Barsoom, #2)
  • The Warlord of Mars (Barsoom, #3)
  • Thuvia, Maid of Mars (Barsoom, #4)
  • The Chessmen of Mars (Barsoom, #5)
  • The Master Mind of Mars (Barsoom, #6)
  • A Fighting Man of Mars (Barsoom, #7)
  • Swords of Mars (Barsoom, #8)
  • Llana of Gathol (Barsoom, #10)
  • John Carter of Mars (Barsoom, #11)
A Princess of Mars (Barsoom, #1) Tarzan of the Apes (Tarzan, #1) The Gods of Mars (Barsoom, #2) The Warlord of Mars (Barsoom, #3) The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak, #1-3)