Start by marking “Walk The World's Rim” as Want to Read:
Walk The World's Rim

Walk The World's Rim

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  1,562 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
A 14-year old Indian joins Cabeza de Vaca's 16th-century expedition through the Southwest. A vivid portrait of Mexican life and the harsh conditions of a primitive Indian tribe.
Published 2009 by Avyx, Inc. (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Walk The World's Rim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walk The World's Rim

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine ApplegateThe Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George SpeareThe Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamilloMatilda by Roald DahlBecause of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
3rd Grade Read Alouds
23rd out of 34 books — 26 voters
Mara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGrawIsland of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'DellThe Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George SpeareHittite Warrior by Joanne WilliamsonThe Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
Books For The Sonlight History Programs
45th out of 71 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

This book touches on the actual failed Narvaez expedition, which made Cabeza de Vaca one of four survivors, and later famous for his accounts of it. The book then leads us into the search of the seven fabled cities of Cibola. This story is rich in history, culture of the native American tribes encountered by the group, and in moral lessons.

The main characters are an Indian boy, which the Spanish met when they made his village a stopping point and Esteban the black slave of one of the Spanish ex
The ending was bitter sweet, I don't think i '' love'' bitter sweet endings though, it feels just a bit sad.
I think i enjoy books that have Happy Endings, like american girl books! This was a fun book, some times i forget he is 14, and think he is my age!
May 27, 2010 Lasha rated it it was ok
I enjoyed a lot of the information and ideas presented in the book, but didn't enjoy the story.
Tiff Miller
Amazing fictional telling centered on Esteban, the slave belonging to Dorantes--one of just a few who survived the journey from Cuba to Florida with Cabeza de Vaca. I can't recommend it enough. This book does not glorify the Spanish settlers, neither does it glorify Native American culture. It is altogether down-to-earth, believable, and tugs at the heartstrings. It required my children to think through complex issues like slavery, pre-conceived ideas, how we judge one another, religion, honor, ...more
Mar 12, 2016 Lisa rated it it was ok
Recommended to Lisa by: Sonlight Homeschool Curriculum
An historical novel for older children that recounts the events of the Narvaez expedition of 1527 led by Alvar Nunez Cabeza de Vaca during the time of the Spanish conquest of Mexico. Only four explorers survived the expedition, De Vaca being one of them, and they spent the next eight years traveling the US Southwest. The story focuses on the relationship between one of the survivors, the black slave Esteban, and a young native American boy named Chakoh. They forge a close relationship, and Chako ...more
Sep 18, 2013 Signe rated it it was amazing
This is one of the books in the Sonlight curriculum for fourth grade U.S. History. It is the story of a young Indian boy that follows three Spaniards and their slave through Indian territory to Mexico. All of the men are searching for riches of one kind or another, except the slave who is content to serve his master with honor. When the Indian boy realizes that the slave is a slave he questions the reality of being honorable and a slave.
I thought is book was very thought provoking. It dealt wi
A.H. Haar
Nov 08, 2014 A.H. Haar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to A.H. by: My Mother.
My mother read this to my brother and I as a bed time story, many many years ago. Thus I don't remember the details and most if not all of it is hazy. There is one part that sticks out; Esteban tells of the hunger he's felt as a slave all of his life, and the hunger he is feeling now as he wanders. He tells the boy, who I'm sure was hungry, as perhaps they were fantasizing about what they would eat if the options were limitless. Perhaps they pictured themselves at a large feast, with more than e ...more
I read this book aloud to my children.

This is based on a true story, and it is about a 14 year-old Indian boy named Chakoh who has lived a very poor and hard life. In all of his years of existence, he cannot remember there ever being a time when he was not cold and not hungry.

Five Spanish ships sailed from Cuba to explore Florida in the summer of 1527. There were five friars aboard who hoped to convert the Indians to Christianity; the rest of the 600 men hungered for wealth. All but four of them
The other John
One of the problems with the history books I had in school is that they didn't know how to tell a story. They would present names and dates and I would learn a bunch of facts, but I had no clue what it might have been like for the people living through those events. Take the age of exploration, for example. I learned the names of folks like Christopher Columbus, Ferdinand Magellan and Cabeza de Vaca. I was able to look at the maps and see where their journeys had taken them. But I was also livin ...more
Lydia Smith
Sep 23, 2016 Lydia Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: with-kids
Savannah gives this book 5 stars. It was another book that I thought the writing might be a little over her head or she might not get what all was happening, so I was very surprised to hear she liked it enough for 5 stars! I loved it too. This was another part of history I don't think I ever learned about in school and so many good lessons from the story. I love Esteban and love how he tries to teach Chakoh as they "walk the world's rim" together.
Kelly Evans
Oct 02, 2014 Kelly Evans rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2014 Kierstin rated it liked it
I read this book out loud this month to my girls as part of our US history literature-based curriculum. We learned lots of things about the different Indian tribes and cultures and about Spanish exploration and colonization. It was eye-opening for all of us. Great historical look at our country.
Jul 30, 2015 Jodi rated it really liked it
There was a lot more here than I thought there would be. This wasn't just a retelling of history, though there was some of that. We also had some great discussions about freedom vs. comfort, slavery, etc. Definitely a great addition to our readings this year.
Jul 26, 2016 Tracy rated it really liked it
Given its age, I expected something different from this book, and I was very pleasantly surprised. Really enjoyed this coming of age story. Appreciated how the main character's perspective changed.
Caristy Olson
A powerful book...that just helps you journey along to figure out how Chakoh discovers the world and how it changes him. It touches on all different topics -- the Spanish in making slaves of Indians, the various tribes of Indians and just simpleness and hardship of life that Chakoh went through.
Adel David
Oct 21, 2014 Adel David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: boaz
This book is awesome. I liked that it had adventure, it was funny and sad. It was about friendship and it was really good.
Boas aged 11
Oct 16, 2016 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: sonlight-core-d
This one is a little slow to get into but has a lot of depth and intricacies that can be discussed about this period of history and the culture clashes that were portrayed. I think a lot of it went over the head of my daughter, but I think I will enjoy reading it again and will have her sit in on it the second time around.
Apr 11, 2014 Emily rated it it was ok
Possibly the most traumatizing book I read as a child. The tears shed over this story were abundant. Reader be warned.
Oct 14, 2015 Jenn rated it liked it
Interesting book. A read aloud for my 4th grader. At times it was hard to keep his attention.
Nov 10, 2015 Leah rated it liked it
Read aloud for kids. ^ and 8 year old liked it. 4 year old thought it was boring.
Adrienne Teague
Chakoh is a boy in an Indian village in East Texas. His clan is dying. The buffalos no longer come this far South. They have been suffering from a drought for many years, and all the crops have died. When Spanish explorers come through the village with tales of the fabulous place they are heading, Chakoh's father decides to send him along to learn how to save the village. Chakoh learns some hard lessons about honor and loyalty and bias.

My 13-year-old son and I both enjoyed this book. We had som
Jan 16, 2015 Jess rated it liked it
Read with my small. Had good discussions but it was dry. I think we were both glad when it was done.
Apr 08, 2016 Crystal rated it really liked it
"Author Betty Baker weaves a fascinating story of the travels of 14-year-old Chakoh as he leaves his homeland to travel to Mexico with the fabled Esteban. A captivating look a Cabeza de Vaca's 16th century expedition through the southwest, the story explores many Native American cultures and their relationships with the Spanish explorers. The ending is bittersweet as Chakoh ultimately decides to leave the more prosperous Mexico to return to his starving tribe."

We really enjoyed reading and discu
Oct 05, 2016 Jersc rated it really liked it
I read this book with my sons, ages 9 and 12, as part of our homeschool to learn about this part of history, Native American cultures, and slavery. We all liked it. It was slow to begin with, but the end makes up for it all. Brought me to tears. Moral: What is true honor?
My son and I read this book as part of our Sonlight American History Curriculum. We LOVED it. The author has created a personal and touching fictional story interwoven with real historical individuals and events. Very thought provoking regarding issues of slavery and treatment of Native Americans. Also highlights the diverse motives of individuals coming to the New World ranging from a lust for wealth to a genuine desire to bring Christianity to the natives.
Aug 17, 2011 Mel rated it really liked it
Three Spaniards from a failed expedition are traveling with one other man called Esteban, but known as the Dark One. They are the only survivors out of 600 men. Their travel has been nothing but hardship. As they come to Chakoh's village, they find another companion in their travel to Mexico.
Chakoh looks up to Esteban, but has a lot to learn about life, friendship, and sometimes about things he thinks he already knows.
Aug 26, 2014 Erin rated it liked it
interesting story...
Oct 15, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it
This one had my kids asking me to "Keep reading, please!!" A well-written description of a young Native American boy's struggle with changing culture. Should he remain in the comforts of the mission in Mexico, or should he return to his starving village and teach them how to grow crops and survive? Esteban is an easy to love hero--patient, noble, a man of his word. Excellent read!
Feb 03, 2012 Cindy rated it it was ok
This was my second read-through of this book, with the second group of children. The years between did nothing to help me enjoy this book but the 11 year olds enjoyed it. Their thought was that it gave them new insights into the story of Estaban since their history book only had a paragraph or two. I still think the writing is lacking in mighty ways.
Oct 10, 2012 Adam rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschool
An at times fun, at times gritty, historical-adventure novel based on true events. This imaginative tour of Native American societies in the early 16th century covers vast territory and leaves a big impact. Because of some rather abstract soul-searching passages, readers below 5th grade may bog down just a couple of times late in the book.
  • The Landmark History of the American People, 2 Volumes
  • North American Indians
  • Swift Rivers
  • The Lewis & Clark Expedition
  • Toliver's Secret
  • What's the Big Idea, Ben Franklin?
  • The Great Turkey Walk
  • Skippack School
  • A Letter to Mrs. Roosevelt
  • The Secret of the Sealed Room: A Mystery of Young Ben Franklin
  • Moccasin Trail
  • Phoebe the Spy
  • The Winged Watchman (Living History Library)
  • The Story of Eli Whitney