Start by marking “Out on the Rim (Arthur Case Wu, #2)” as Want to Read:
Out on the Rim (Arthur Case Wu, #2)

Out on the Rim (Arthur Case Wu #2)

Would you be wary if someone gave you the assignment of delivering five million dollars to a Philippine terrorist—never mind from whom or why? Booth Stallings, a terrorism expert just fired from his job at a bashful organization that never admitted its mount in the Washington merry-go-round, is wary. So wary that he cuts in con man "Otherguy" Overby, who in turn involves A ...more
Published January 3rd 2003 by Minotaur Books (first published October 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Out on the Rim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out on the Rim

Mal Warwick
May 15, 2017 Mal Warwick rated it it was amazing
Ross Thomas‘ inimitable thrillers were originally published between 1966 and 1994. (Ross died the following year.) More recently, most of his work has been brought out in new editions, each with an introduction by a prominent contemporary of his who wrote mysteries and thrillers, too. Introducing Out on the Rim, one of Thomas’ last novels, Donald E. Westlake comments “The dialogue zings, the story twists like a go-go dancer, and you often can’t tell the players even with the program.” Amen to th ...more
Todd Templeman
Jul 26, 2012 Todd Templeman rated it it was amazing
My dad had this on his bookshelf. It's hard for me to imagine I made it to my late thirties without ever having heard of Ross Thomas. But I grabbed Out on the Rim as I was getting on a plane to Shanghai. The only bad thing was I read it start-to-finish from the minute the plane took off. I even managed to eat an airplane meal without putting the book down.

Other reviewers have detailed this one well enough, but I will say that I just cannot imagine anyone having anything but fun reading this romp
Jeffrey Powanda
Mar 30, 2016 Jeffrey Powanda rated it really liked it
A lighthearted con game, done with wit and style, set in the post-Marcos Philippines.

The plot concerns the mission of five people to escort guerrilla Al Espiritu into exile in Hong Kong for a large sum of money: $5 million (yes, that was once a large sum). The money is funded by an unnamed consortium, which wants to prevent a coup of the new Aquino government.

The five people intent on completing the mission are a terrorism expert, a fixer who calls himself a “house sitter for the stars,” two col
Jack Robinson
Jan 23, 2017 Jack Robinson rated it it was amazing
ALL of Ross Thomas's books are so worth reading! He is a gem - reliable for great plots, characters and what an ear for dialogue

I think a quote I read was along the lines that Elmore Leonard is the expert for street crime and Ross Thomas is the expert for white collar crime

I have managed to track down most of his books such a shame they are not still stocked or well known. I think his best are Briarpatch, Out on the Rim, Chinamans Chance, Mordida Man, The Porkchoppers. The earlier Perdillo and M
Tyler Collison
May 12, 2013 Tyler Collison rated it really liked it
I can't believe this guy went out of print. Really, why? I've admittedly had a small sample size of just this book, but he's up there with some of my favorites already.

As for this particular book, it reads as smoothly as a movie. It's entirely driven by the plot, but the plot is constantly entertaining, as Thomas incorporates humor and wit subtly. The backbone of the plot is pretty comical in and of itself: Everyone but the protagonist is essentially an antagonist; no one trusts anyone. And each
Garry Geer
Aug 26, 2015 Garry Geer rated it liked it
Classic Thomas that brings together of his stock characters including Overby, Wu, Durant and Georgia Blue. There are double-crosses, dry black wit, and a sort of soiled heroism.

What strikes me is that a few decades back he was seen as the premiere story teller in America, yet now, very few people remember him. It says something about the nature of narrative, consumerism, and the ongoing grind of the market..

Al
Mar 15, 2012 Al rated it liked it
A complicated tale of a group of colorful grifters at work in the mid-80s Philippines. Cross, doublecross, and triplecross occur as each of the miscreants schemes to get his (or her) share of a $ 5 million bribe originally destined for a Communist guerilla on the island of Cebu. Think Elmore Leonard with a dash of Carl Hiaasen. The logic is a little hard to follow some times, but it's very entertaining.
jen
Aug 02, 2008 jen rated it really liked it
This series is what the guys from "Ocean's Eleven" would be if they weren't so glitzy and fun lovin'. Great fun, but still gritty and humorous, as far as con men go...These guys are really just looking to make a living.

High stars for being a well-paced story with interesting characters. A shelf-worthy book (at least on my shelf!)
Don Livingston
Jul 10, 2016 Don Livingston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First foray into Ross Thomas territory and highly impressed

Brilliant, witty, and cold blooded. Kind of reminds me of Elmore Leonard but on an international scale. Well drawn characters across the board.
Stuart
Aug 31, 2016 Stuart rated it really liked it
The second book in the Artie Wu series, this one ropes in a few more characters for an elaborately plotted long con set very thoroughly in the Philippines. Lovable (and loathable characters) with excellent names, vast sums of money and bullets abound. Read the whole trilogy already.
Barbara Kennedy
Feb 13, 2010 Barbara Kennedy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: john tredeaux
Never read this author before, but took it on faith as he was recommended by Elmore Leonard, Robert Parker, and Donald Westlake. It was very fun, at least in the end. Great characters playing one-up con tricks on each other in SE Asia.
Cera
Jan 01, 2012 Cera rated it really liked it
I am so sleep deprived I should probably not try to write a review, but -- I liked this a lot, it was very funny, and Georgia was quite awesome. I think the Wu & Durant books are my favourites by Thomas.
Msatyakima
I LOVE it when I find a Ross Thomas I haven't read. One of the most literate writers to write thriller/mystery/political novels in the 70's and 80's, and still honored today as a true treasure.
Lynn
Jan 30, 2010 Lynn rated it liked it
book about grifters, written in the 80s. Good, worth reading but not great. I am reading a much better grifter book now -Hot Plastic.
Michael
Jan 24, 2011 Michael rated it it was amazing
It would be hard to pick a "Best" with Ross Thomas. It would be harder yet for me to pick a favorite, but if you said "Pick One. I can only read one." This would be the one I'd pick.
Richard Bradley
Apr 28, 2010 Richard Bradley is currently reading it
Before Chinaman's Chance, which I read. I expect only the best in Out on the Rim.
Cathy
Jul 18, 2009 Cathy marked it as to-read
Waiting in the stacks
Joanna
Dec 03, 2009 Joanna rated it really liked it
All his books I read so far were winners - interesting characters, engaging story, and no pretense. Great suspense novels.
John
Jul 07, 2013 John rated it it was amazing
Beautifully rendered con in an exotic locale with memorably drawn characters and snappy, witty dialogue. Highly entertaining and beautifully paced. And so I began to consume his entire oeuvre.
Xenophon Hendrix
Mar 24, 2009 Xenophon Hendrix rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently reread this. It's still as good as I remembered. There are lots of twists, schemes, and hidden agendas. The characterization is strong.
Tom
Mar 22, 2009 Tom added it
A bit overly cute for my taste, similar to the related Chinaman's Chance in that respect. YMMV (many readers dig the Wu/Durant novels). The plot is mind-bendingly complex.
Holly Troup
Holly Troup rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2010
D A Barnes
Oct 02, 2012 D A Barnes rated it really liked it
unpredictable characters and an intricate plot, told with a sense of humor - very entertaining.
Fletcher
Fletcher rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2008
Fabio Tassi
Fabio Tassi rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
James Robb
James Robb rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Steve Brewer
Steve Brewer rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2011
Don
Don rated it really liked it
May 15, 2012
Reed
Reed rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2010
Mark Woodworth
Mark Woodworth rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Open Sources
  • Let Them Call It Jazz
  • Dead Man's Handle (Modesty Blaise #12)
  • Tango Briefing
  • J.D. Robb CD Collection 7: Visions in Death, Survivor in Death, Origin in Death
  • The Naked Detective (Key West, #8)
  • Gary Benchley, Rock Star
  • Confess, Fletch (Fletch, #2)
  • Linda Howard Collection: Midnight Rainbow / Diamond Bay
Ross Thomas was an American writer of crime fiction. He is best known for his witty thrillers that expose the mechanisms of professional politics. He also wrote several novels under the pseudonym Oliver Bleeck about professional go-between Philip St. Ives.

Thomas served in the Philippines during World War II. He worked as a public relations specialist, reporter, union spokesman, and political strat
More about Ross Thomas...

Arthur Case Wu (3 books)
  • Chinaman's Chance (Arthur Case Wu, #1)
  • Voodoo, Ltd. (Arthur Case Wu, #3)