Start by marking “Out on the Rim (Arthur Case Wu, #2)” as Want to Read:
Out on the Rim (Arthur Case Wu, #2)

Out on the Rim (Arthur Case Wu #2)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  292 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Would you be wary if someone gave you the assignment of delivering five million dollars to a Philippine terrorist—never mind from whom or why? Booth Stallings, a terrorism expert just fired from his job at a bashful organization that never admitted its mount in the Washington merry-go-round, is wary. So wary that he cuts in con man "Otherguy" Overby, who in turn involves A ...more
Published January 3rd 2003 by Minotaur Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Out on the Rim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out on the Rim

Garry Geer
Classic Thomas that brings together of his stock characters including Overby, Wu, Durant and Georgia Blue. There are double-crosses, dry black wit, and a sort of soiled heroism.

What strikes me is that a few decades back he was seen as the premiere story teller in America, yet now, very few people remember him. It says something about the nature of narrative, consumerism, and the ongoing grind of the market..

Tyler Collison
I can't believe this guy went out of print. Really, why? I've admittedly had a small sample size of just this book, but he's up there with some of my favorites already.

As for this particular book, it reads as smoothly as a movie. It's entirely driven by the plot, but the plot is constantly entertaining, as Thomas incorporates humor and wit subtly. The backbone of the plot is pretty comical in and of itself: Everyone but the protagonist is essentially an antagonist; no one trusts anyone. And each
Coralis Kriss
My dad had this on his bookshelf. It's hard for me to imagine I made it to my late thirties without ever having heard of Ross Thomas. But I grabbed Out on the Rim as I was getting on a plane to Shanghai. The only bad thing was I read it start-to-finish from the minute the plane took off. I even managed to eat an airplane meal without putting the book down.

Other reviewers have detailed this one well enough, but I will say that I just cannot imagine anyone having anything but fun reading this romp
A complicated tale of a group of colorful grifters at work in the mid-80s Philippines. Cross, doublecross, and triplecross occur as each of the miscreants schemes to get his (or her) share of a $ 5 million bribe originally destined for a Communist guerilla on the island of Cebu. Think Elmore Leonard with a dash of Carl Hiaasen. The logic is a little hard to follow some times, but it's very entertaining.
This series is what the guys from "Ocean's Eleven" would be if they weren't so glitzy and fun lovin'. Great fun, but still gritty and humorous, as far as con men go...These guys are really just looking to make a living.

High stars for being a well-paced story with interesting characters. A shelf-worthy book (at least on my shelf!)
Barbara Kennedy
Feb 16, 2010 Barbara Kennedy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: john tredeaux
Never read this author before, but took it on faith as he was recommended by Elmore Leonard, Robert Parker, and Donald Westlake. It was very fun, at least in the end. Great characters playing one-up con tricks on each other in SE Asia.
I am so sleep deprived I should probably not try to write a review, but -- I liked this a lot, it was very funny, and Georgia was quite awesome. I think the Wu & Durant books are my favourites by Thomas.
I LOVE it when I find a Ross Thomas I haven't read. One of the most literate writers to write thriller/mystery/political novels in the 70's and 80's, and still honored today as a true treasure.
Beautifully rendered con in an exotic locale with memorably drawn characters and snappy, witty dialogue. Highly entertaining and beautifully paced. And so I began to consume his entire oeuvre.
It would be hard to pick a "Best" with Ross Thomas. It would be harder yet for me to pick a favorite, but if you said "Pick One. I can only read one." This would be the one I'd pick.
May 24, 2009 Tom added it
A bit overly cute for my taste, similar to the related Chinaman's Chance in that respect. YMMV (many readers dig the Wu/Durant novels). The plot is mind-bendingly complex.
Xenophon Hendrix
I recently reread this. It's still as good as I remembered. There are lots of twists, schemes, and hidden agendas. The characterization is strong.
book about grifters, written in the 80s. Good, worth reading but not great. I am reading a much better grifter book now -Hot Plastic.
All his books I read so far were winners - interesting characters, engaging story, and no pretense. Great suspense novels.
D A Barnes
unpredictable characters and an intricate plot, told with a sense of humor - very entertaining.
Richard Bradley
Apr 28, 2010 Richard Bradley is currently reading it
Before Chinaman's Chance, which I read. I expect only the best in Out on the Rim.
Top 10, the other reviews do it justice, just read it =)
Jul 18, 2009 Cathy marked it as to-read
Waiting in the stacks
Laura marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Ameitzen marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Ray marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Wendy added it
Sep 11, 2015
  • Open Sources
  • Dead Man's Handle (Modesty Blaise #12)
  • Tango Briefing
  • The Naked Detective
  • Tigers are Better-Looking: With a selection from The Left Bank
  • Linda Howard Collection #01: Midnight Rainbow/Diamond Bay
  • J.D. Robb CD Collection 7: Visions in Death, Survivor in Death, Origin in Death
  • Gary Benchley, Rock Star
  • What's So Funny? (Dortmunder, #14)
  • Slide (Max & Angela, #2)
  • Confess, Fletch (Fletch, #2)
  • Harriet
Ross Thomas was an American writer of crime fiction. He is best known for his witty thrillers that expose the mechanisms of professional politics. He also wrote several novels under the pseudonym Oliver Bleeck about professional go-between Philip St. Ives.

Thomas served in the Philippines during World War II. He worked as a public relations specialist, reporter, union spokesman, and political strat
More about Ross Thomas...

Arthur Case Wu (3 books)
  • Chinaman's Chance (Arthur Case Wu, #1)
  • Voodoo, Ltd. (Arthur Case Wu, #3)