Creating Web Sites: The Missing Manual: The Missing Manual

Creating Web Sites: The Missing Manual: The Missing Manual

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Think you have to be a technical wizard to build a great web site? Think again. For anyone who wants to create an engaging web site--for either personal or business purposes--Creating Web Sites: The Missing Manual demystifies the process and provides tools, techniques, and expert guidance for developing a professional and reliable web presence.

Like every Missing Manual, yo...more
Published November 2nd 2005 by O'Reilly Media (first published October 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Creating Web Sites, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creating Web Sites

Andy Shuping
O'Reilly Publishing provided me access to an electronic copy of this book for review purposes.

Matthew writes this book as if the reader has no previous experience with coding and even no experience with really understanding how the web works, i.e. how servers render webpages and understanding how a URL works. So if you have lots of experience with these areas then this book probably isn't for you. If however, you've never designed a webpage before or it's been a long time since you've coded this...more
D.w.
While a little miffed at Amazon because they highlighted this edition when the newer edition had been out for a while, I didn't discover that till partially through the book. Put together as most Missing Manuals, where the next chapter builds greatly on the preceding chapter, it also has information that is decades old.

HTML, the building block of the web, has been around along time, and the web is fifteen years and more now. Even at the time of the book, ten to twelve years in, rehashing the bui...more
Chad Warner
This book is a decent introduction to many topics related to web design; too many topics, in my opinion. I expected the HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, but a large part of the book teaches how to use Twitter, Facebook, Blogger, and other sites and services, which seemed beyond the scope of building a website. It also covers website promotion (including SEO, analytics, and community-building), monetization, and multimedia.

The book is full of clear, understandable code snippets and screenshots. It pres...more
Chuck
"Creating Web Sites: The Missing Manual" is a well written and, at times, amusing overview of current web site creation technology. MacDonald successfully makes a great effort to keep the book lighthearted and flowing while still providing enough information to allow a beginner to use the various technologies and create a page. He also made very good decisions on what material to winnow out.

I have developed web pages and hand coded html off and on for over a decade. But I picked up this book in...more
Cathy
I've actually been working my way thru this one for quite a while... like maybe a year. So I get to the end and feel like I'm ready to take on some trial stuff... and then I found out that a lot of the info is dated. So now I've moved on to CSS: The Missing MAnual. I don't exactly feel like I totally wasted my time since any understanding is a good thing... but I wish I hadn't spent quite so much time on it. I could have moved on much more quickly
P
Overall content: 5 out of 5 stars
This book covers just about everything from concept to publishing. Great information

Relevant Information: 3 out of 5 stars
I knew about half of what the book covered from a class I took and other books I've read. (Note to self... never buy a book when you don't have the time to look it over real well cuz you've got to pee really bad)
Richie
Although most of it was review for me, I was still able to find a few things I didn't know or wasn't entirely clear about. I think it's a good and easy to follow guide on building your first website.
Benny
I really like "The Missing Manual" series of books. This book will get you started, but you need to read other books to get more depth of the details of creating a website.
Cheryl
Dated information...not sure why this title is on the syllabus for a local web design class. Disappointing for a 2009 edition. I would recommend other titles.
Clara Dearmore Strom
The Missing Manual series is one of my favorite. Easy to understand and entertaining.
jeano
Dec 23, 2007 jeano rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dabblers in CSS
an amusing and above all instructive beginners' guide to HTML, CSS, and JavaScript!
Rina Yulius
kalo yg ini baru enak..
sistematis,, benar2 dituntun dr awal
Iarfen
Es bastante bueno!! Me lo estoy por terminar jajaja
John Moretz
Apr 07, 2012 John Moretz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: web designers, developers, artists, programmers
Highly recommended. Very good introduction to CSS and HTML.
Alibek
Alibek added it
Sep 04, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Tim Richards
Tim Richards marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Mohamed Fouad
Mohamed Fouad marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Shraddha
Shraddha marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Dorai
Dorai marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Matthew MacDonald is a science and technology writer with well over a dozen books to his name. He's particularly known for his books about building websites, which include a do-it-from-scratch tutorial (Creating a Website: The Missing Manual), a look at cutting-edge HTML5 (HTML5: The Missing Manual), and a WordPress primer (WordPress: The Missing Manual). He's also written a series of books about...more
More about Matthew MacDonald...
Your Brain: The Missing Manual Your Body: The Missing Manual: The Missing Manual HTML5: The Missing Manual Access 2010: The Missing Manual WordPress: The Missing Manual