Start by marking “Creating Web Sites: The Missing Manual” as Want to Read:
Creating Web Sites: The Missing Manual

Creating Web Sites: The Missing Manual

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  105 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Think you have to be a technical wizard to build a great web site? Think again. For anyone who wants to create an engaging web site--for either personal or business purposes--Creating Web Sites: The Missing Manual demystifies the process and provides tools, techniques, and expert guidance for developing a professional and reliable web presence.

Like every Missing Manual, yo
Published November 2nd 2005 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Creating Web Sites, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creating Web Sites

Andy Shuping
Aug 23, 2011 Andy Shuping rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O'Reilly Publishing provided me access to an electronic copy of this book for review purposes.

Matthew writes this book as if the reader has no previous experience with coding and even no experience with really understanding how the web works, i.e. how servers render webpages and understanding how a URL works. So if you have lots of experience with these areas then this book probably isn't for you. If however, you've never designed a webpage before or it's been a long time since you've coded this
D.w.
Dec 11, 2009 D.w. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
While a little miffed at Amazon because they highlighted this edition when the newer edition had been out for a while, I didn't discover that till partially through the book. Put together as most Missing Manuals, where the next chapter builds greatly on the preceding chapter, it also has information that is decades old.

HTML, the building block of the web, has been around along time, and the web is fifteen years and more now. Even at the time of the book, ten to twelve years in, rehashing the bui
Chad Warner
This book is a decent introduction to many topics related to web design; too many topics, in my opinion. I expected the HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, but a large part of the book teaches how to use Twitter, Facebook, Blogger, and other sites and services, which seemed beyond the scope of building a website. It also covers website promotion (including SEO, analytics, and community-building), monetization, and multimedia.

The book is full of clear, understandable code snippets and screenshots. It pres
Chuck
Jul 12, 2010 Chuck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Creating Web Sites: The Missing Manual" is a well written and, at times, amusing overview of current web site creation technology. MacDonald successfully makes a great effort to keep the book lighthearted and flowing while still providing enough information to allow a beginner to use the various technologies and create a page. He also made very good decisions on what material to winnow out.

I have developed web pages and hand coded html off and on for over a decade. But I picked up this book in
Nigel Francis
Filled in a few holes in my overall web knowledge and will get you up and running fast. But, the book is now becoming a bit dated and could do with a makeover. NF.
Cathy
Feb 17, 2009 Cathy rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I've actually been working my way thru this one for quite a while... like maybe a year. So I get to the end and feel like I'm ready to take on some trial stuff... and then I found out that a lot of the info is dated. So now I've moved on to CSS: The Missing MAnual. I don't exactly feel like I totally wasted my time since any understanding is a good thing... but I wish I hadn't spent quite so much time on it. I could have moved on much more quickly
P
Feb 20, 2009 P rated it really liked it
Overall content: 5 out of 5 stars
This book covers just about everything from concept to publishing. Great information

Relevant Information: 3 out of 5 stars
I knew about half of what the book covered from a class I took and other books I've read. (Note to self... never buy a book when you don't have the time to look it over real well cuz you've got to pee really bad)
Richie
Mar 09, 2012 Richie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although most of it was review for me, I was still able to find a few things I didn't know or wasn't entirely clear about. I think it's a good and easy to follow guide on building your first website.
Benny
Jan 31, 2013 Benny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like "The Missing Manual" series of books. This book will get you started, but you need to read other books to get more depth of the details of creating a website.
Cheryl
May 26, 2010 Cheryl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dated information...not sure why this title is on the syllabus for a local web design class. Disappointing for a 2009 edition. I would recommend other titles.
Clara Dearmore Strom
The Missing Manual series is one of my favorite. Easy to understand and entertaining.
jeano
Dec 23, 2007 jeano rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: dabblers in CSS
an amusing and above all instructive beginners' guide to HTML, CSS, and JavaScript!
Rina Yulius
Jan 01, 2013 Rina Yulius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
kalo yg ini baru enak..
sistematis,, benar2 dituntun dr awal
Iarfen
Sep 13, 2011 Iarfen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Es bastante bueno!! Me lo estoy por terminar jajaja
John Moretz
Apr 07, 2012 John Moretz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: web designers, developers, artists, programmers
Highly recommended. Very good introduction to CSS and HTML.
David Jardine
David Jardine marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Luis Herrera
Luis Herrera marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Karol K
Karol K marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Kirstie Mason
Kirstie Mason rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2015
Mark Doney
Mark Doney marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
F. Lynx Pardinus
F. Lynx Pardinus marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2015
Ankur Pandey
Ankur Pandey rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2015
Britt
Britt marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Adeela
Adeela rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Jessica Copen
Jessica Copen marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
travis barclay
travis barclay rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2015
  • CSS: The Missing Manual
  • Build Your Own Website The Right Way Using HTML & CSS
  • CSS Cookbook
  • HTML, XHTML, and CSS (Visual Quickstart Guide)
  • CSS Pocket Reference
  • MySQL Cookbook
  • HTML5: Up and Running
  • The CSS Anthology
  • SQL Pocket Guide
  • The Principles of Beautiful Web Design
  • The Web Designer's Idea Book Volume 2: More of the Best Themes, Trends and Styles in Website Design
  • Simply JavaScript
  • SQL in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference
  • Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript
  • HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide
  • Web Design in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference
  • The Linux Command Line
  • Sexy Web Design

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Matthew MacDonald is a science and technology writer with well over a dozen books to his name. He's particularly known for his books about building websites, which include a do-it-from-scratch tutorial (Creating a Website: The Missing Manual), a look at cutting-edge HTML5 (HTML5: The Missing Manual), and a WordPress primer (WordPress: The Missing Manual). He's also written a series of books about ...more
More about Matthew MacDonald...