Start by marking “Blackbird, Farewell” as Want to Read:
Blackbird, Farewell

Blackbird, Farewell (C. J. Floyd #7)

Shandell “Blackbird” Bird has everything going for him, or so he thinks. Recently selected number two overall in the NBA draft, the 6'8", 250-pound superstar has a gleaming new ride and a salary and athletic shoe contract that make him an instant millionaire. What he doesn’t have is the ability to bury secrets from his past. When Shandell is found shot to death at ...more
Published October 14th 2008 by Frog Books

To ask other readers questions about Blackbird, Farewell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackbird, Farewell

S. Wilson
Feb 04, 2009 S. Wilson rated it liked it
Robert Greer’s seventh CJ Floyd mystery takes place in the heart of Colorado, where new shining star of college basketball Shandell "Blackbird" Bird is found shot to death on a basketball court. His close friend and college roommate Damion Madrid feels that the local police aren’t going to look as deeply into the murder as they should, and so he decides to investigate the murder himself.

Blackbird’s Godfather, Denver based bail bondsman CJ Floyd, is in Hawaii on his honeymoon. To help out the inv
Clark  Isaacs
Dec 29, 2011 Clark Isaacs rated it it was amazing
Robert Greer has an uncanny ability to grab your attention within the first few pages of his novels and keep the adrenalin flowing until the very end. Blackbird, Farewell is no exception with his wonderful formula character C J Floyd, a private detective par excellence.

Just when you think this book will be different than all others by Greer, Shandell “Blackbird” Bird is murdered at the start of the story just after signing a multi-million dollar contract with the Denver Nuggets. This is a Farew
Mike
Jun 17, 2009 Mike rated it it was ok
Seemed like an interesting premise (to me) that combined a standard crime novel story with some insight into college athletics. Unfortunately, pretty much failed on both parts. This is somewhat part of a series surrounding a PI in the Denver area, although that main character is barely mentioned in this one. Unfortunately, this novel has turned me off of the writer enough that I won't read any of his other works, that do seem to be higher rated here on GoodReads.

The crime is the murder of a top
Janice
Aug 04, 2011 Janice rated it liked it
I won this book through LibraryThing and at first had some problems getting into it. I researched and found out this was the 7th C J Floyd book. However, CJ is hardly mentioned until about 3/4's through. There are a lot of characters that I wish were described a little more for the beginner reader in the series. This book does do a good job with Damion who is trying to solve the murder of his best friend. I liked him and was rooting for him.
This book was also more gritty than I care for and sin
Lkelly6
Aug 26, 2014 Lkelly6 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I especially enjoyed the true-to-life, as I know life, characters in the book. My favorite books to read have 1. some characters I like and admire; 2. a strong sense of place and the unique ambiance of that place (this book was Denver and Fort Collins); 3. a plot that interests and delights. Greer offered all of these qualities.

I just read the other reviews here, including a couple rather critical of writing style. This is not great and complex or world-ch
Michele Shimp
Feb 22, 2011 Michele Shimp rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
Robert Greer's latest book, Blackbird, Farewell, is a good one. I have not read any of Mr. Greer's work before this one, but I will be checking out his other books. Blackbird, Farewell is listed as the 7th CJ Floyd mystery but centers more on Damion Madrid, who apparently has worked with CJ on other mysteries.[return][return]Here's the summary (from the author's website): [return]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------[return]BLACKBIRD, FAREWELL is ...more
Michael Bell
Mar 22, 2015 Michael Bell rated it really liked it
I liked the fact that the novel was based in Colorado. I need to know more about this part of the country. A college athlete is murdered. There are many ideas about what cpuld have caused.his death. For me, it was sad that the character had to repress his sexuality. He was gay and the macho athlete image did not match with an attraction to a man. It was a great read.
Jamie Eberle
Great Book! This book was an excellent page turner. The character development was outstanding, and the story was a truly intriguing! Can't wait to read the other books in the series. I recommend this book.
Anita
Anita rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2015
Mary Lou
Mary Lou rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2014
Laverne
Laverne rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2012
Tucker
Tucker rated it it was ok
Sep 11, 2015
Brett
Brett rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Frank
Frank rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2008
Heather
Heather rated it it was ok
Jun 22, 2012
Anne Almquist
Aug 19, 2010 Anne Almquist rated it liked it
Too convoluted ending. Unlike this author's usual good work.
Deborah
Deborah rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2013
Mike Gowan
Oct 18, 2014 Mike Gowan rated it really liked it
Another good thriller, set in Denver and environs.
Natalie Sherling
Natalie Sherling rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2009
Diana
Mar 21, 2010 Diana rated it really liked it
An interesting who-done-it mystery that keeps you guessing.
Mike
Mike rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2015
John
John rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2011
Tom O'Connor
Tom O'Connor rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2010
Jackie
Jackie rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2012
Jay Kacamburas
Jay Kacamburas rated it it was ok
Feb 24, 2009
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Ray Pettiford
Ray Pettiford rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2013
Becky
Becky rated it it was ok
Oct 24, 2011
Kristin
Feb 02, 2009 Kristin rated it it was ok
Not one I'd re-read but not too bad.
Robert Greer, author of the CJ Floyd mystery series, lives in Denver, where he is a practicing surgical pathologist, research scientist, and Professor of Pathology and Medicine at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. He also edits the High Plains Literary Review, reviews books for National Public Radio, and raises Black Baldy cattle on his ranch near Steamboat Springs, Colorado.

Serie
More about Robert Greer...

C. J. Floyd (8 books)