Start by marking “Blackbird, Farewell” as Want to Read:
Blackbird, Farewell

Blackbird, Farewell (C. J. Floyd #7)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Shandell “Blackbird” Bird has everything going for him, or so he thinks. Recently selected number two overall in the NBA draft, the 6'8", 250-pound superstar has a gleaming new ride and a salary and athletic shoe contract that make him an instant millionaire. What he doesn’t have is the ability to bury secrets from his past. When Shandell is found shot to death at mid-cour...more
Published October 14th 2008 by Frog Books

To ask other readers questions about Blackbird, Farewell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackbird, Farewell

Mike
Seemed like an interesting premise (to me) that combined a standard crime novel story with some insight into college athletics. Unfortunately, pretty much failed on both parts. This is somewhat part of a series surrounding a PI in the Denver area, although that main character is barely mentioned in this one. Unfortunately, this novel has turned me off of the writer enough that I won't read any of his other works, that do seem to be higher rated here on GoodReads.

The crime is the murder of a top...more
S. Wilson
Robert Greer’s seventh CJ Floyd mystery takes place in the heart of Colorado, where new shining star of college basketball Shandell "Blackbird" Bird is found shot to death on a basketball court. His close friend and college roommate Damion Madrid feels that the local police aren’t going to look as deeply into the murder as they should, and so he decides to investigate the murder himself.

Blackbird’s Godfather, Denver based bail bondsman CJ Floyd, is in Hawaii on his honeymoon. To help out the inv...more
Clark  Isaacs
Robert Greer has an uncanny ability to grab your attention within the first few pages of his novels and keep the adrenalin flowing until the very end. Blackbird, Farewell is no exception with his wonderful formula character C J Floyd, a private detective par excellence.

Just when you think this book will be different than all others by Greer, Shandell “Blackbird” Bird is murdered at the start of the story just after signing a multi-million dollar contract with the Denver Nuggets. This is a Farew...more
Janice
I won this book through LibraryThing and at first had some problems getting into it. I researched and found out this was the 7th C J Floyd book. However, CJ is hardly mentioned until about 3/4's through. There are a lot of characters that I wish were described a little more for the beginner reader in the series. This book does do a good job with Damion who is trying to solve the murder of his best friend. I liked him and was rooting for him.
This book was also more gritty than I care for and sin...more
Lkelly6
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I especially enjoyed the true-to-life, as I know life, characters in the book. My favorite books to read have 1. some characters I like and admire; 2. a strong sense of place and the unique ambiance of that place (this book was Denver and Fort Collins); 3. a plot that interests and delights. Greer offered all of these qualities.

I just read the other reviews here, including a couple rather critical of writing style. This is not great and complex or world-ch...more
Michele Shimp
Robert Greer's latest book, Blackbird, Farewell, is a good one. I have not read any of Mr. Greer's work before this one, but I will be checking out his other books. Blackbird, Farewell is listed as the 7th CJ Floyd mystery but centers more on Damion Madrid, who apparently has worked with CJ on other mysteries.[return][return]Here's the summary (from the author's website): [return]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------[return]BLACKBIRD, FAREWELL is Damio...more
Mike Gowan
Another good thriller, set in Denver and environs.
Brett Dungan
Robert Greer has gifted writing style. Growing up in Colorado before moving to parts southeast -> I always enjoy the locale woven throughout his books. Having read all nine of his books, I appreciate how Greer develops his cast of characters into subsequent novels; however I am fan of CJ Floyd and miss his direct involvement in BlackBird. Devil's Hatband is still my favorite.
Jamie Eberle
Great Book! This book was an excellent page turner. The character development was outstanding, and the story was a truly intriguing! Can't wait to read the other books in the series. I recommend this book.
Caterina Fava
Shallow plot, not extremely well written, but good for rainy afternoon!
Diana
An interesting who-done-it mystery that keeps you guessing.
Anne Almquist
Too convoluted ending. Unlike this author's usual good work.
Kristin
Not one I'd re-read but not too bad.
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Chi Dubinski
Chi Dubinski marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2012
Jenene
Jenene marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2011
Christopher Brewington
Christopher Brewington marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2011
Robert Greer, author of the CJ Floyd mystery series, lives in Denver, where he is a practicing surgical pathologist, research scientist, and Professor of Pathology and Medicine at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. He also edits the High Plains Literary Review, reviews books for National Public Radio, and raises Black Baldy cattle on his ranch near Steamboat Springs, Colorado.

Serie...more
More about Robert Greer...
Spoon Astride a Pink Horse First of State The Devil's Hatband The Devil's Backbone