Start by marking “Whispers from the Dead” as Want to Read:
Whispers from the Dead

Whispers from the Dead

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  793 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Only Sarah senses the horror.

Published January 1st 1991 by Laurel Leaf (first published September 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Whispers from the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whispers from the Dead

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Banned Books 2007-2008
66th out of 85 books — 196 voters
Murdered, My Sweet by Joan Lowery NixonThe Weekend Was Murder by Joan Lowery NixonThe Name of the Game Was Murder by Joan Lowery NixonThe Dark and Deadly Pool by Joan Lowery NixonDeadly Game Of Magic by Joan Lowery Nixon
Best Joan Lowery Nixion books
23rd out of 26 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Teresa
This was the book that made me into the reader today. I read it in 8th grade and I LOVED it. I feel in love with reading. Especially mystery. To this day I can't pass up a good thriller. I have read all of Mrs. Nixon's books and I have loved them all. She passed away in 2003.
Diana
Sarah has just moved to Houston thanks to her father's new promotion. She's leaving behind friends who think she's a freak since she claims that a shadow has been following her. A shadow that only she can see. After almost drowning, Sarah has a connection with the dead which proves to be detrimental in helping her make sense of the murder that occurred in her new home two years ago.

Like all of Joan Lowery Nixon's leads, Sarah is a strong female who's battling her own inner demons and fears. She
Bridget
Talking To The Dead:
Whispers From the Dead by Joan Lowery Nixon tells the story of a 16 soon to be 17 year old girl, Sarah. Sarah goes swimming at a lake with her friends and almost ends up dead. After her near death experience she starts to hear voices, voices no one else hears. She’s the only one who seems to be able to sense the horror. Soon after, her father gets a new job in Houston forcing them to move. The minute she steps through the door of her family’s new house she is smothered by a
Danielle Bucholtz
This book is about a girl, Sarah, who goes through a near death experience and soon feels like she is being watched by someone, or something. She moves to a new town and a new home, where she finds herself dealing with something she never would have imagined. In my opinion, "Whispers from the Dead" is a great book for anyone who enjoys reading about ghosts and murder. After reading this book, I wanted to read the rest of the books in the series. I hope anyone who reads this book enjoys it as muc ...more
Jordyn Lovallo
Whispers From The Dead

Whispers From The Dead by Joan Lowery Nixon is about a teenage girl named Sarah. Sarah had a near death experience which makes her able to communicate with the dead. She starts to figure that out in some parts of the beginning of the book, but it all comes to play when she moves into her new house in Houston. When she first stepped into her new house she knew something wasn’t right. She started to feel like she wasn’t alone and one night she heard an anonymous spirit say “
Shan
There is one main question that lurks in the human mind. The question that makes us want to know the difference between reality and fantasy. But the real question is are our fears real? Can they harm us? What is fear? Fear is an element that gives our bodies and minds the sensation that we are in danger which results in what is known as the fight or flight reaction. We fear the unknown because we do not know what it is. The main theme in this book is survival. Survival is the instinct to fight i ...more
Stephanie Sykes
I would recommend this book for high school students, because I don't know how scared kids may get. I would say this is a good book for girls or boys, because it doesn't just focus on one gender. A girl named Sarah moves to a house in Houston. She finds out later on that someone was murdered in that house. Before that happened, she started seeing and feeling an unwanted presence. I really enjoyed this book and thinking about reading the rest of the series.
Katherine
Reagan Mathai
Sarah hears whispers. She feels unsafe in her new home that was the scene of a murder. She had a near death experience which didn't help her fear of dying & Tony ( her new boyfriend) didn't help either. His bright blue eyes are hypnotizing for Sarah to do anything, whatever he wanted. Sarah knew that something was up... something was not right, when she heard voices, a call for "help" in Spanish. "Danger Danger!" was spoken and to Sarah, and she needed to find out what the voices meant. This ...more
Angela
I enjoyed another Joan Lowery Nixon book on audio so I thought I'd try this one but it was too predictable and slow-moving. Might have been better as a book than audiobook.
Tina P
I read it in class and thought it was definetly an ok book. Kind of predictable, but it had awesome details and was easy to understand what's going on.
Abby Jarrett
As soon as Sarah moved into her new house she senses something terrible. She hears a terrible scream in Spanish, a cry for help. Sarah is determined to find out what happened in past events and how she can help the horrified woman. Her quest is full of danger, romance and mystery as she try's to find what happened that changed the house forever.
Whispers From the Dead is a mystery and horror story rolled up into on wonderful book. The book kept me on the edge of my seat and wanting more and mor
Nicole

While this historically has been one of my all-time favorite Nixon titles, in reading it with a critical eye, I'm noticing some flaws that prevent me from giving it the full five-star rating.

I read this with relish when it was first published and have read it nearly once a year ever since. I love the story and consider it, along with A Deadly Game of Magic as her best suspenseful books. In terms of storyline and plot, it's fabulous. In terms of writing quality, however, not so much. This time a

Socheata Kim
Whispers from the Dead by: Joan Lowery Nixon is mystery fiction. The story about a ghost who haunts a home in Houston.The theme of the story is Sarah was in horror feeling everytime she closed her eyes.
One example is Sarah and her family moved in to new house in Houston. A moment she enter her house she felt " sucked in to a cold, smothering mist. The echo of a scream best against her mind". (p.g 12)
Although the character Sarah has been told by ghost, everytime she closed her eyes or sleep. s
Ginger Smith
This story revolves around a teenage girl named Sarah who almost dies from a drowning accident. Since the accident she finds that she can hear and see things from dead people. This becomes drastically apparent when she moves into the house in which she discovers a murder had taken place. And before she knows it, she is trying to find out what happened to the previous owner’s missing housekeeper, who we learn is actually dead.

Although I enjoyed this story, I found the language used by the teenag
Aileen Arnesto
Jan 08, 2015 Aileen Arnesto rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who love suspense novels.
Shelves: favorites
Let’s get back to business. I borrowed an old copy of the book to my boyfriend’s mother. She’s actually a fan of suspense books and thrillers, and I’ve got to choose four books that captured my interest. I silently swear to read more thrillers and suspense novels this 2015.

See full review here: http://thedespicablehuntress.wordpres...
luhvBOOKS
Title: Whispers from the Dead

Author: Joan Lowery Nixon

Series: N/A

Rating:

Summary: Only Sarah senses the horror. The minute she steps through the doorway of her family's new home, Sarah feels a smothering cold mist, and hears the echo of a scream and a heartbreaking whisper in Spanish, "Help me!" Sarah feels compelled to find out who is trying to reach her. But can she uncover the mysteries of the past before terror strikes again?

Review: The best from Nixon all tied up in this book's binding. I a
Lizashakira Pagan
Pretty awesome and very interesting..Just love it.. At first i was like, "'Whispers from the dead'..Interesting.." and then while reading it i just couldn't put it down.. Very good hook and description. Gave me so much details that frightened me with the visualizatons that popped in my head. I recommend you to READ IT!!! :D
Melissa Bennett
I think if I would of read this book at a young age I would have probably given it 5 stars but as an adult I found it too predictable. I figured out the ending a quarter of the way through the book. Nonetheless, I thought it was still an enjoyable read and written well.
It's about a girl named Sarah who nearly drowned. Because of that near death experience she has become more sensitive to spirits. When her family moves to Houston, the house they move in immediately feels wrong to Sarah. It's not
Cassandra
As always, Joan is amazing! Although the mother is slightly annoying throughout the book. Not listening and etc. But I adored the characters, although as always i wished that it were longer. Joan has this ability to have awesome plots, even though they are small books, they could easily turn into amazing myster novels. But either way, doesnt matter how long or short her books are, I love them.
Carrie
Sarah has survived a drowning accident. After this near death experience she is left a little closer to those who have passed on. To often her friends abandon her because she now is different. When her family moves out of state she hopes she can make a fresh start. Sarah has never seen such a beautiful home as her new one and her father got it for a steal. Sarah soon finds out why when she is visited by the person who was murdered there. Sarah now must solve the crime before the murder silents h ...more
Penny
This book as well as other Joan Lowery Nixon books are definitely meant for a younger audience. I remember enjoying her books when I was younger, but now it is ridiculously easy to figure out who the murderer or "bad guy" is. I did enjoy the supernatural element present in the plot and I wish that the solution to who murdered Rosa would have been a little more complex. Despite the fact that this book should be read by younger audiences, I still enjoyed Whispers from the Dead. It was an easy and ...more
Kari
Whispers from the Dead is a good little mystery, with a paranormal twist. The story itself was a bit predictable, I was able to figure things out way before Sarah, but it didn't take away from my enjoying the story. One thing that I will give the author credit for is that the parents are very present and involved in this YA book. This is something you don't see much these days in YA. I saw that Ms. Nixon died in 2003. I definitely will be seeking out her other works. I listened to this on audio. ...more
Sophia Lin
Awesome, stayed up whole night finishing it.
Sara Stanley
Whispers from the Dead is mystery written by Joan Lowery Nixon. When Sarah walks into her new house she gets shivers all down her back and she suddenly hears a scream and in Spanish, help me! Later she finds out there was a murder in the house. Sarah is determined to find out who it is. Can she uncover the mystery or not? I liked it because the story was so good it gave me shivers. I recommend this book to anyone that likes to be scared.
Ashley Marie
I first read this book in elementary school for a book report. Yup, I did a book report about this book... I wonder what my teacher thought of that.. Anyways... I very much enjoyed this book when I was younger and when I read it recently I still enjoyed it, but not as much. It is definitely written using simple language like that that a young kid could get through. This also made it a very fast read, which I enjoyed. Overall, I still like the plot of this book.
Gloria
Had low expectations for this book, but was pleasantly surprised. It has a rather outdated cover which somehow led me to believe it would be a bit hokey. It was truly scary throughout with a highly descriptive scene of what it is like to drown and others describing essentially what it is like to be murdered. While this is for the teen reader, an adult author who reads similarly is perhaps Mary Higgins Clark. The sociopath in this story kept me awake at night.
Jaylen Johnson
"Whispers From the Dead"

"Whispers From the Dead" is a good book. The author is Joan Lowery Nixon. If you like mysteries, you like this book. The author's intent was to make a thriller and that's what she did. At every corner, the book would take an unexpected turn. It was full of suspense. If a person has ever heard voices in their head, they'll want to read this book. That's about the book "Whispers From the Dead."

Emma
As I was substituting for a reading class, the students were reading this book. They were just on chapter two. a co-worker had told me about this book and how I should read it but never got around to it. Once I heard the CD for that one chapter, I went back and started since the beginning and read the whole book by the end of the school day. This book is a really fast read, fast paced, has lots of drama and action, I loved it. I couldn't put it down!
May Jaru
It's very fun. It's about a girl who moved to a new home due to a drowning incident that almost killed her. But as she moves into her new home, a dead Spanish voice said 'Help me'. So she is determined to find out what happened to this house and why people are making scary suspicious faces at the house everytime they passed it. It's scary and when you start reading, you can't stop. The plot is very striking. ^w^
  • Stonewords: A Ghost Story
  • Beach Party (Point Horror, #8)
  • The Bonemender's Choice (The Bonemender, #3)
  • The Stranger
  • The Starplace
  • A Ghost in the House
  • To Live Again (Dawn Rochelle, #5)
  • Where Willy Went
  • The Autumn Castle
  • Life, Love And The Pursuit Of Hotties (Emily, #5)
  • Dead Letter (Herculeah Jones Mysteries, #3)
  • The Making of Dr. Truelove
  • The Joy of Gay Sex
  • PaperQuake: A Puzzle
  • Way of the Warrior (Lady Ilena, #2)
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
Author of more than one hundred books, Joan Lowery Nixon is the only writer to have won four Edgar Allan Poe Awards for Juvenile Mysteries (and been nominated several other times) from the Mystery Writers of America. Creating contemporary teenage characters who have both a personal problem and a mystery to solve, Nixon captured the attention of legions of teenage readers since the publication of h ...more
More about Joan Lowery Nixon...
The Kidnapping of Christina Lattimore The Other Side of Dark A Family Apart (Orphan Train Adventures, #1) A Deadly Game of Magic The Séance