Whispers from the Dead

Whispers from the Dead

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  653 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Only Sarah senses the horror.

Published January 1st 1991 by Laurel Leaf (first published September 1st 1989)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Banned Books 2007-2008
66th out of 84 books — 189 voters
Murdered, My Sweet by Joan Lowery NixonThe Weekend Was Murder by Joan Lowery NixonThe Name of the Game Was Murder by Joan Lowery NixonThe Dark and Deadly Pool by Joan Lowery NixonDeadly Game Of Magic by Joan Lowery Nixon
Best Joan Lowery Nixion books
23rd out of 26 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Teresa
This was the book that made me into the reader today. I read it in 8th grade and I LOVED it. I feel in love with reading. Especially mystery. To this day I can't pass up a good thriller. I have read all of Mrs. Nixon's books and I have loved them all. She passed away in 2003.
Diana
Sarah has just moved to Houston thanks to her father's new promotion. She's leaving behind friends who think she's a freak since she claims that a shadow has been following her. A shadow that only she can see. After almost drowning, Sarah has a connection with the dead which proves to be detrimental in helping her make sense of the murder that occurred in her new home two years ago.

Like all of Joan Lowery Nixon's leads, Sarah is a strong female who's battling her own inner demons and fears. She...more
Danielle Bucholtz
This book is about a girl, Sarah, who goes through a near death experience and soon feels like she is being watched by someone, or something. She moves to a new town and a new home, where she finds herself dealing with something she never would have imagined. In my opinion, "Whispers from the Dead" is a great book for anyone who enjoys reading about ghosts and murder. After reading this book, I wanted to read the rest of the books in the series. I hope anyone who reads this book enjoys it as muc...more
Stephanie Sykes
I would recommend this book for high school students, because I don't know how scared kids may get. I would say this is a good book for girls or boys, because it doesn't just focus on one gender. A girl named Sarah moves to a house in Houston. She finds out later on that someone was murdered in that house. Before that happened, she started seeing and feeling an unwanted presence. I really enjoyed this book and thinking about reading the rest of the series.
Angela
I enjoyed another Joan Lowery Nixon book on audio so I thought I'd try this one but it was too predictable and slow-moving. Might have been better as a book than audiobook.
Tina P
I read it in class and thought it was definetly an ok book. Kind of predictable, but it had awesome details and was easy to understand what's going on.
Nicole

While this historically has been one of my all-time favorite Nixon titles, in reading it with a critical eye, I'm noticing some flaws that prevent me from giving it the full five-star rating.

I read this with relish when it was first published and have read it nearly once a year ever since. I love the story and consider it, along with A Deadly Game of Magic as her best suspenseful books. In terms of storyline and plot, it's fabulous. In terms of writing quality, however, not so much. This time a

Socheata Kim
Whispers from the Dead by: Joan Lowery Nixon is mystery fiction. The story about a ghost who haunts a home in Houston.The theme of the story is Sarah was in horror feeling everytime she closed her eyes.
One example is Sarah and her family moved in to new house in Houston. A moment she enter her house she felt " sucked in to a cold, smothering mist. The echo of a scream best against her mind". (p.g 12)
Although the character Sarah has been told by ghost, everytime she closed her eyes or sleep. s...more
Ginger Smith
This story revolves around a teenage girl named Sarah who almost dies from a drowning accident. Since the accident she finds that she can hear and see things from dead people. This becomes drastically apparent when she moves into the house in which she discovers a murder had taken place. And before she knows it, she is trying to find out what happened to the previous owner’s missing housekeeper, who we learn is actually dead.

Although I enjoyed this story, I found the language used by the teenag...more
luhvBOOKS
Title: Whispers from the Dead

Author: Joan Lowery Nixon

Series: N/A

Rating: ★★★★★

Summary: Only Sarah senses the horror. The minute she steps through the doorway of her family's new home, Sarah feels a smothering cold mist, and hears the echo of a scream and a heartbreaking whisper in Spanish, "Help me!" Sarah feels compelled to find out who is trying to reach her. But can she uncover the mysteries of the past before terror strikes again?

Review: The best from Nixon all tied up in this book's binding...more
Melissa Bennett
I think if I would of read this book at a young age I would have probably given it 5 stars but as an adult I found it too predictable. I figured out the ending a quarter of the way through the book. Nonetheless, I thought it was still an enjoyable read and written well.
It's about a girl named Sarah who nearly drowned. Because of that near death experience she has become more sensitive to spirits. When her family moves to Houston, the house they move in immediately feels wrong to Sarah. It's not...more
Carrie
Sarah has survived a drowning accident. After this near death experience she is left a little closer to those who have passed on. To often her friends abandon her because she now is different. When her family moves out of state she hopes she can make a fresh start. Sarah has never seen such a beautiful home as her new one and her father got it for a steal. Sarah soon finds out why when she is visited by the person who was murdered there. Sarah now must solve the crime before the murder silents h...more
Wesley Mogenson
a good book, with the perfect twist of both mystery and horror.
Penny
This book as well as other Joan Lowery Nixon books are definitely meant for a younger audience. I remember enjoying her books when I was younger, but now it is ridiculously easy to figure out who the murderer or "bad guy" is. I did enjoy the supernatural element present in the plot and I wish that the solution to who murdered Rosa would have been a little more complex. Despite the fact that this book should be read by younger audiences, I still enjoyed Whispers from the Dead. It was an easy and...more
Kari
Whispers from the Dead is a good little mystery, with a paranormal twist. The story itself was a bit predictable, I was able to figure things out way before Sarah, but it didn't take away from my enjoying the story. One thing that I will give the author credit for is that the parents are very present and involved in this YA book. This is something you don't see much these days in YA. I saw that Ms. Nixon died in 2003. I definitely will be seeking out her other works. I listened to this on audio....more
Ashley Marie
I first read this book in elementary school for a book report. Yup, I did a book report about this book... I wonder what my teacher thought of that.. Anyways... I very much enjoyed this book when I was younger and when I read it recently I still enjoyed it, but not as much. It is definitely written using simple language like that that a young kid could get through. This also made it a very fast read, which I enjoyed. Overall, I still like the plot of this book.
Gloria
Had low expectations for this book, but was pleasantly surprised. It has a rather outdated cover which somehow led me to believe it would be a bit hokey. It was truly scary throughout with a highly descriptive scene of what it is like to drown and others describing essentially what it is like to be murdered. While this is for the teen reader, an adult author who reads similarly is perhaps Mary Higgins Clark. The sociopath in this story kept me awake at night.
Jaylen Johnson
"Whispers From the Dead"

"Whispers From the Dead" is a good book. The author is Joan Lowery Nixon. If you like mysteries, you like this book. The author's intent was to make a thriller and that's what she did. At every corner, the book would take an unexpected turn. It was full of suspense. If a person has ever heard voices in their head, they'll want to read this book. That's about the book "Whispers From the Dead."

Emma
As I was substituting for a reading class, the students were reading this book. They were just on chapter two. a co-worker had told me about this book and how I should read it but never got around to it. Once I heard the CD for that one chapter, I went back and started since the beginning and read the whole book by the end of the school day. This book is a really fast read, fast paced, has lots of drama and action, I loved it. I couldn't put it down!
May Jaru
It's very fun. It's about a girl who moved to a new home due to a drowning incident that almost killed her. But as she moves into her new home, a dead Spanish voice said 'Help me'. So she is determined to find out what happened to this house and why people are making scary suspicious faces at the house everytime they passed it. It's scary and when you start reading, you can't stop. The plot is very striking. ^w^
Lauren
After a near death experience, Sarah and her parents move to Houston for her father's new promotion. As soon as Sarah steps foot inside the house, she hears a voice and starts to sense things are not quite right with the new house.

I enjoyed reading this young adult paranormal/mystery although I'm fairly certain I have read it before in junior high. Great for a quick read!
Bianca
I read this when I was about nine, I think? It was pretty good, nice book with a nice spooky plot, but looking back on it, I think it was just that. It was a nice read.
I don't really remember why I kept it. I suppose my mom did and then I decided to do as well. Maybe I should find a nice little nine-year-old to give it to. :)
Destiny Encarnacion
Since i am a scary book/movie fanatic , this book was AMAZING. Once you start you cant stop... If your a person who loves scary and suspicious series.. This is a book you would absolutely love. My favorite part is the beginning. This book starts all mystery like. It makes you want to keep wanting more and more of it.
Cindy
this book is really awesome if you like ghost stories and I had to read this book again, but one thing I dont get is how the keeper of the lake find out about the two, I was thinking it was the friend. Sarah near death experience seemed like fate. In the end the ghost can finally rest in peace.
Sheila
One of my favorite books from 6th grade. I took it out of the library at least once a week. It took me two days to find this as I could not remember the author's name and and the only word of the title I could remember was 'whispers'.

ETA: Still enjoyed reading it, even after all these years.
Allison Greene
Sarah is a young girl who almost died from drowning. Since this incident she has an unnatural connection to the dead. She can sense things, and when her family moves into a new house, her new ability proves a little more than what she wants to handle.
Lacey
I thought this was a really intriguing book. Once I started reading it I just couldn't put it down. The way the author stated Sarah's situation was marvelous. I would recommend this book to any over the age of about nine. This was an outstanding novel.
Frannie Cheska
i was only about 14 when i read this book but it stuck to me and i still think of it time to time. suspensefull and creepy kept me going!! the guy in it plays the perfect sexy criminal i wouldve never expected the ending!! love it!
Megan
I haven't finished this book, but so far it's great!!! I've never really read a mystery/horror book before and it REALLY good!! It has kind of a lame title, but the book totally makes up!!!!! Totally should read it!!!
Tattered Cover Book Store
This book is on the bibliography of books challenged, restricted, removed or banned in 2007-2008 put out by Robert P. Doyle and the American Library Association. More info at http://www.ila.org/pdf/2008banned.pdf
  • Stonewords: A Ghost Story
  • Beach Party (Point Horror, #8)
  • Gallows Hill
  • To Live Again (Dawn Rochelle, #5)
  • The Bonemender (The Bonemender, #1)
  • A Ghost in the House
  • The Stranger
  • What's French For "Ew"? (Emily, #3)
  • The Train
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The Joy of Gay Sex
  • PaperQuake: A Puzzle
  • The Autumn Castle
  • Trick or Treat (Point Horror, #6)
Author of more than one hundred books, Joan Lowery Nixon is the only writer to have won four Edgar Allan Poe Awards for Juvenile Mysteries (and been nominated several other times) from the Mystery Writers of America. Creating contemporary teenage characters who have both a personal problem and a mystery to solve, Nixon captured the attention of legions of teenage readers since the publication of h...more
More about Joan Lowery Nixon...
The Kidnapping of Christina Lattimore The Other Side of Dark A Family Apart (Orphan Train Adventures, #1) A Deadly Game of Magic The Seance