Start by marking “Frost/Nixon” as Want to Read:
Frost/Nixon

Frost/Nixon

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  332 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
By 1972 Richard Nixon had ended the Vietnam war, achieved diplomatic breakthroughs with Russia and China, presided over a period of economic stability at home, and was on the verge of a landslide re-election . . . until he decided to cover up a third-rate burglary. Watergate was one of the largest scandals in American history and two years later Nixon would resign the pres ...more
Published April 17th 2007 by Faber & Faber

To ask other readers questions about Frost/Nixon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frost/Nixon

Angels in America by Tony KushnerAugust by Tracy LettsArcadia by Tom StoppardThe Pillowman by Martin McDonaghThe History Boys by Alan Bennett
Best Plays Since 1990
21st out of 132 books — 94 voters
Animal Farm by George OrwellCatch-22 by Joseph HellerThe Godfather by Mario PuzoAll the President's Men by Carl BernsteinThe Gang Bust by Dorothy May Mercer
Corruption in High Places
75th out of 224 books — 233 voters

More lists with this book...

Robert Beveridge
Peter Morgan, Frost/Nixon (Faber and Faber, 2006)

In general, I like to read the book before I see the movie, which is why it's now 2011 and I still haven't seen Ron Howard's much-nominated 2008 film Frost/Nixon; I just got round to reading the play upon which it is based. And a very good one it is, though I must say I've been on a very good run where play-reading is concerned; when your competition is Tracy Letts, Martin McDonagh, and the like, it's a bit hard to stand out from the pack. Morgan,
John Hood
Dec 28, 2008 John Hood rated it it was amazing
Bound Miami SunPost 12.25.08

Christmas with Nixon

This Year, Celebrate With a Ghost

By John Hood

Face it. Not everybody’s peachy keen on all this Christmas stuff — the wining and the dining, the giving and the receiving, the Merry Ol’ this-and-that which insists that no matter how you live it, It’s a Wonderful Life. Add the long list of folks who don’t even have someone to celebrate with in the first place, and you come up with quite a crowd.

But rather than su
SmarterLilac
Mar 05, 2012 SmarterLilac rated it it was amazing
This was my first exposure to a Peter Morgan play and I loved it. It seemed to have more depth and elegance than the film version, although the movie remains largely faithful to the original text. It has inspired me to try to locate and hopefully watch these famous interviews.

I still can't believe there was ever a time when Richard Nixon thought he could rebuild his political reputation, actually return to Washington and function as some kind of Congressional advisor. I credit this play for maki
Ilze Folkmane
Nov 21, 2011 Ilze Folkmane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have not read a lot of plays. Besides all of those I have read have come from very different categories, so to try and compare them is a bit of an "apples / oranges" situation. But in my mind "Frost/Nixon" is a brilliant play. If I were to change my field (I cannot say that I have one actually) and direct, I would like to direct this one. The story perhaps is more appealing to Americans, but the dialogue is so brilliant that in the hands of great (and no less than great) actors there is no dou ...more
Kyra
Jul 15, 2015 Kyra rated it liked it
I've now seen the play, seen the movie and read the book, and each time I forget how slight this is. The ending is a bit more moving, though.
Cary S
Jul 28, 2015 Cary S rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
Good plot. Interesting construction. Minimal character development.
Chris Millar
Apr 09, 2012 Chris Millar rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to read this before it was published as I work at the theatre who first produced it. After the first read I knew I would see the show more than once. Great marriage of real and fictional dialogue. And even though the outcome is known, you can't help but wonder if Frost will get the interview he's hoping for. Good film too, but when I read this script now the images in my head are from our original production.
Feb 23, 2010 Andrew rated it it was amazing
I love Peter Morgan's work. He and McDonagh are the only screenwriters I follow religiously, and Frost/Nixon, as a play, is the reason why I started following him in the first place. The thematic ties between Frost and Nixon are realised brilliantly, and with subtlety, and Morgan's research is thorough. It's really four-and-a-half stars. But. This will do nicely.
Jan 14, 2011 Andrew rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
As someone who is only vaguely familiar with the events surrounding Watergate, I often had the sense that I was missing something. Nevertheless, for people of my generation, who mostly grew up with "Nixon" and "Watergate" known mostly through allusion, this play is worth checking out, especially since it's focus is more on the characters than the events.
Katie Tahuahua
Jun 15, 2012 Katie Tahuahua rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I saw this play at a local theater and loved it enough to but a copy. Frost/Nixon is an extremely unique look at Nixon and his failures; instead of vilifying him, it presents him as a flawed human being. The sympathetic portrayal, and his strange but fitting relationship with Frost, are very refreshing in this bitter and tiring political age.
Jul 01, 2013 Andrew rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best I've read in a while. Every character representation is likeable and strong. The story is tight and gripping. Something I really liked is that no one came across as a villan. Everyone is treated as a human being, and that makes everyone even more likable. I highly recomend picking this up, even if you don't like theater.
Josh Fischel
Jan 27, 2008 Josh Fischel rated it really liked it
Compelling and awesome - I'm a sucker for plays and novels that are based heavily on real or imagined historic events, and this was just as enjoyable as a psychological thriller - in a way. Reminded me a bit of Copenhagen, in the way that it didn't condescend. A talkative play, but it still felt like a romp.
Nicolas
Apr 29, 2014 Nicolas rated it really liked it
Shelves: scripts
Loved the movie, loved the play. It's written in a way that gives it such urgency. It really keeps you interested and shows a different side of Nixon. I would love to put on a production of this someday.
Nathaniel
Jul 07, 2008 Nathaniel rated it it was amazing
Excellent play featuring behind the scenes summary of the negotiations between the British talk show host and his biggest "get", complete with cameos by Irving "Swifty" Lazar and James Reston.
Kate Thompson
Oct 23, 2008 Kate Thompson rated it liked it
Shelves: plays-ive-seen
I realized several weeks after watching this that I was really more in love with Frank Langella as Nixon than I was enamored of the script. Still a very interesting story, though.
G. Derek Adams
Mar 06, 2013 G. Derek Adams rated it really liked it
A bajillion scene changes -- stops short of greatness in a dramatic sense. Requires an actor who can convincingly portray Nixon without becoming a parody.
Jonathan Mandell
May 24, 2007 Jonathan Mandell rated it liked it
Recommends it for: theatergoing politicos
The story of talk show host David Frost's interviews with the disgraced former president Richard Nixon has been made into a Broadway play. This is the script.
Geoffrey
Dec 23, 2009 Geoffrey rated it really liked it
A good play without an ideological axe to grind. Lets the story and characters stand on their own -- warts and all.
Gary
Oct 07, 2012 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's not history, but it's a fascinating character study of who David Frost and Richard Nixon MIGHT have been.
Maddie Ricchiuto
Nov 13, 2012 Maddie Ricchiuto rated it really liked it
I saw the film first and the play reads just like it. Frost/Nixon is all kinds of fabulous though, in both forms.
Jack
Feb 24, 2009 Jack rated it really liked it
Nixon in his twilight years, trying to reclaim his legacy through the televised interview with David Frost.
Gabrielle
May 03, 2009 Gabrielle rated it really liked it
I haven't seen the movie yet. We are reading this for class.
Jonathan Igoe
Feb 22, 2009 Jonathan Igoe rated it it was amazing
Amazing...
Troy Tinney
Troy Tinney rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
Sol Chikuse
Sol Chikuse marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Jon Reid
Jon Reid marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Dave Benger
Dave Benger rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
  • The Mercy Seat: A Play
  • Democracy
  • Far Away
  • Collected Stories
Peter Morgan is an English film writer and playwright best known for writing the films and plays The Deal, The Queen, Frost/Nixon, and The Special Relationship.

He lived in Vienna with his Austrian wife Lila Schwarzenberg (HSH Princess Anna Carolina of Schwarzenberg, daughter of Czech politician Karel Schwarzenberg) and their daughters and three sons.
More about Peter Morgan...

“Jim Reston: Walking through the crowds of air-kissing politicians, actors and high fliers, it was tough to tell where the politics stopped and the showbiz started. Maybe, in the end, there is no difference.” 2 likes
“Jim Reston: And of course when that moment came--no words came to my mouth, and I shook his hand. Because if you've spent that long hating a man--in the end--a kind of relationship develops. An intimacy. Biographer and subject. Assassin and target.” 1 likes