Start by marking “Frost/Nixon” as Want to Read:
Frost/Nixon

Frost/Nixon

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  292 ratings  ·  21 reviews
By 1972 Richard Nixon had ended the Vietnam war, achieved diplomatic breakthroughs with Russia andChina, presided over a period of economic stability at home, and was on the verge of a landslide re-election . . . until he decided to cover up a third-rate burglary. Watergate was one of the largest scandals in American history and two years later Nixon would resign the presi ...more
Published April 17th 2007 by Faber & Faber

To ask other readers questions about Frost/Nixon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frost/Nixon

Angels in America by Tony KushnerAugust by Tracy LettsArcadia by Tom StoppardThe Pillowman by Martin McDonaghThe History Boys by Alan Bennett
Best Plays Since 1990
20th out of 126 books — 84 voters
Animal Farm by George OrwellCatch-22 by Joseph HellerAll the President's Men by Carl BernsteinThe Godfather by Mario PuzoThe Gang Bust by Dorothy May Mercer
Corruption in High Places
75th out of 216 books — 222 voters

More lists with this book...

Robert Beveridge
Peter Morgan, Frost/Nixon (Faber and Faber, 2006)

In general, I like to read the book before I see the movie, which is why it's now 2011 and I still haven't seen Ron Howard's much-nominated 2008 film Frost/Nixon; I just got round to reading the play upon which it is based. And a very good one it is, though I must say I've been on a very good run where play-reading is concerned; when your competition is Tracy Letts, Martin McDonagh, and the like, it's a bit hard to stand out from the pack. Morgan,
John Hood
Bound Miami SunPost 12.25.08

Christmas with Nixon

This Year, Celebrate With a Ghost

By John Hood

Face it. Not everybody’s peachy keen on all this Christmas stuff — the wining and the dining, the giving and the receiving, the Merry Ol’ this-and-that which insists that no matter how you live it, It’s a Wonderful Life. Add the long list of folks who don’t even have someone to celebrate with in the first place, and you come up with quite a crowd.

But rather than su
SmarterLilac
This was my first exposure to a Peter Morgan play and I loved it. It seemed to have more depth and elegance than the film version, although the movie remains largely faithful to the original text. It has inspired me to try to locate and hopefully watch these famous interviews.

I still can't believe there was ever a time when Richard Nixon thought he could rebuild his political reputation, actually return to Washington and function as some kind of Congressional advisor. I credit this play for maki
Ilze Folkmane
I have not read a lot of plays. Besides all of those I have read have come from very different categories, so to try and compare them is a bit of an "apples / oranges" situation. But in my mind "Frost/Nixon" is a brilliant play. If I were to change my field (I cannot say that I have one actually) and direct, I would like to direct this one. The story perhaps is more appealing to Americans, but the dialogue is so brilliant that in the hands of great (and no less than great) actors there is no dou ...more
Chris Millar
I was fortunate enough to read this before it was published as I work at the theatre who first produced it. After the first read I knew I would see the show more than once. Great marriage of real and fictional dialogue. And even though the outcome is known, you can't help but wonder if Frost will get the interview he's hoping for. Good film too, but when I read this script now the images in my head are from our original production.
Andrew
I love Peter Morgan's work. He and McDonagh are the only screenwriters I follow religiously, and Frost/Nixon, as a play, is the reason why I started following him in the first place. The thematic ties between Frost and Nixon are realised brilliantly, and with subtlety, and Morgan's research is thorough. It's really four-and-a-half stars. But. This will do nicely.
Andrew
As someone who is only vaguely familiar with the events surrounding Watergate, I often had the sense that I was missing something. Nevertheless, for people of my generation, who mostly grew up with "Nixon" and "Watergate" known mostly through allusion, this play is worth checking out, especially since it's focus is more on the characters than the events.
Katie Tahuahua
I saw this play at a local theater and loved it enough to but a copy. Frost/Nixon is an extremely unique look at Nixon and his failures; instead of vilifying him, it presents him as a flawed human being. The sympathetic portrayal, and his strange but fitting relationship with Frost, are very refreshing in this bitter and tiring political age.
Andrew
This is one of the best I've read in a while. Every character representation is likeable and strong. The story is tight and gripping. Something I really liked is that no one came across as a villan. Everyone is treated as a human being, and that makes everyone even more likable. I highly recomend picking this up, even if you don't like theater.
Josh Fischel
Compelling and awesome - I'm a sucker for plays and novels that are based heavily on real or imagined historic events, and this was just as enjoyable as a psychological thriller - in a way. Reminded me a bit of Copenhagen, in the way that it didn't condescend. A talkative play, but it still felt like a romp.
Nicolas
Loved the movie, loved the play. It's written in a way that gives it such urgency. It really keeps you interested and shows a different side of Nixon. I would love to put on a production of this someday.
Nathaniel
Excellent play featuring behind the scenes summary of the negotiations between the British talk show host and his biggest "get", complete with cameos by Irving "Swifty" Lazar and James Reston.
Kate Thompson
I realized several weeks after watching this that I was really more in love with Frank Langella as Nixon than I was enamored of the script. Still a very interesting story, though.
G. Derek Adams
A bajillion scene changes -- stops short of greatness in a dramatic sense. Requires an actor who can convincingly portray Nixon without becoming a parody.
Jonathan Mandell
May 24, 2007 Jonathan Mandell rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: theatergoing politicos
The story of talk show host David Frost's interviews with the disgraced former president Richard Nixon has been made into a Broadway play. This is the script.
Geoffrey
A good play without an ideological axe to grind. Lets the story and characters stand on their own -- warts and all.
Gary
It's not history, but it's a fascinating character study of who David Frost and Richard Nixon MIGHT have been.
Maddie Ricchiuto
I saw the film first and the play reads just like it. Frost/Nixon is all kinds of fabulous though, in both forms.
Jack
Nixon in his twilight years, trying to reclaim his legacy through the televised interview with David Frost.
Gabrielle
I haven't seen the movie yet. We are reading this for class.
Xavier
Xavier added it
May 04, 2015
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Dana Bauman
Dana Bauman marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Vanessa Wood
Vanessa Wood marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
  • The Mammary Plays : How I Learned to Drive / The Mineola Twins
  • Three Tall Women
  • Speed-the-Plow
  • A Lie of the Mind
Peter Morgan is an English film writer and playwright best known for writing the films and plays The Deal, The Queen, Frost/Nixon, and The Special Relationship.

He lived in Vienna with his Austrian wife Lila Schwarzenberg (HSH Princess Anna Carolina of Schwarzenberg, daughter of Czech politician Karel Schwarzenberg) and their daughters and three sons.
More about Peter Morgan...
The Audience Software Testing: An ISTQB-ISEB Foundation Guide The Queen: A Miramax Feature Film Screenplay The Appearance of Impropriety Original Porsche 911: The Guide to All Production Models, 1963-98

“Jim Reston: Walking through the crowds of air-kissing politicians, actors and high fliers, it was tough to tell where the politics stopped and the showbiz started. Maybe, in the end, there is no difference.” 2 likes
“Jim Reston: And of course when that moment came--no words came to my mouth, and I shook his hand. Because if you've spent that long hating a man--in the end--a kind of relationship develops. An intimacy. Biographer and subject. Assassin and target.” 1 likes