Start by marking “Southerner” as Want to Read:
Southerner

Charles Longstreet Weltner

Southerner

From the publisher:
On September 17, 1963, forty-eight hours after the Birmingham church bombing, freshman Congressman Charles Longstreet Weltner placed the following remarks in the Congressional Record: "...I do not know what twisted and tortured minds fashioned this deed. But I know why it happened. It happened because those chosen to lead have failed to lead. Those whose
Published 1966 by J.B. Lippincott Company

To ask other readers questions about Southerner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southerner

Maureen
Aug 13, 2008 Maureen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Maureen by: Charles Longstreet Weltner
This is a hard book for me to write about, because I was close friends with its author. I worked on both of Charles Weltner's Congressional campaigns, and stood by him after he voted for the 1964 Civil Rights Act. When he resigned from his third campaign rather than to sign a loyalty pledge to the Democratic Party where Lester Maddox, slavering racist, was the Democratic nominee for governor, it just about broke my heart.

This book is about Charles Weltner's hopes and dreams for a New South, whe
Rick Segers
Oct 20, 2011 Rick Segers rated it really liked it
Justice Charles Weltner is one of a rare breed in politics. He did what was right instead of politically expedient. This book written in 1966 should be on everyone's reading list.
It is an unvarnished look at the history of the south and the north and how many times people were within inches of doing the right thing that would have avoided a great deal of struggle and pain later one.
The south is not the only target. He confirms something I have thought for a long time. Much of the south's struggl
Donna
Jan 01, 2012 Donna rated it liked it
It's amazing how much I don't know about Southern politics and history. This book is a quick read and supplied me with several new insights. Of the most interest here is Congressman Weltner's retelling of his experiences leading up to his "Aye" vote on the United States Civil Rights Bill which was passed on July 2, 1964. Weltner's prophecies for a New South didn't all turn out quite as he foresaw them, but he hit a goodly number square on the head.
Paul Marin
Paul Marin rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2012
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Nettie
Nettie marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Joanna Hanes
Joanna Hanes marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016