Start by marking “Wife for Hire” as Want to Read:
Wife for Hire

Wife for Hire (Elsie Hawkins #3)

3.66  ·  Rating Details ·  11,074 Ratings  ·  514 Reviews

Hank Mallone knows he's in trouble when Maggie Toone agrees to pretend to be his wife in order to improve his rogue's reputation. Will his harebrained scheme to get a bank loan for his business backfire once Maggie arrives in his small Vermont town and lets the gossips take a look?

Maggie never expected her employer to be drop-dead handsome, but she's too intrigued by hi

Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Published August 1st 1990 by Loveswept (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Wife for Hire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wife for Hire

Marianne
Wife For Hire is a pre-Plum novel by popular American author, Janet Evanovich. It is the third book in the Elsie Hawkins series, on whom, Evanovich says, Grandma Mazur was modelled. Fans of the Plum series will be interested to know that in this book, Grandma Mazur’s famous big gun in the handbag has its prototype.

Maggie Toone needs to get away from Riverside, away from her mom and Aunt Marvina: she needs somewhere quiet to write her novel. Her Aunt Kitty was once a madam in a brothel, and she l
Debbie
Nov 04, 2009 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Living in the small town of Skogen Vermont, Hank Mallone’s youthful antics were part of town legends - as entertainment. Needing a loan from the bank to expand his business, Hank found that those past mistakes really can impact his future. Coming up with a scheme to convince the whole town that he had become a responsible and stable member of the community led him to New Jersey to find a wife. The only person to respond to his request was Maggie Toone, she was tired of living under her mother an ...more
Drebbles
May 14, 2010 Drebbles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
Maggie Toone has always been a bit of a problem child. Even now, at age 27, she is driving her mother and aunt crazy because she refuses to settle down - both in a relationship and in her job. She has quit her teaching job (which she wasn't all that good at) and wants to write full time. Her late Aunt Kitty was a Madame and Maggie thinks her diary will make a perfect book. But she needs to earn some money while writing, so she agrees to pose as Hank Mallone's wife for six months. Hank too has be ...more
Jerry
Jul 24, 2010 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good early Evanovich, even though a nearly plotless love story...

We didn't know Janet Evanovich wrote romance stories earlier in her career, but we stumbled across this title and couldn't resist seeing how she did before she got famous with her Stephanie Plum bounty hunter series. The good news is: Janet is just as funny and whimsical here as are her better known recent works. The bad news is, the plot synopsis can be stated in about 20 words: man hires woman to pose as wife, they immediately f
Mariam
Silly. Weak. Quick read. Cute trash. Not my kind of book and I was definitely not expecting anything profound or life changing. However, this book belongs to a whole new and superior level of uselessness. I managed to finish reading it at the expense of my intelligence being severely assaulted. This book and its content or the lack of it, is everything that is wrong with the way we approach love these days. So much for diversification - never again.
Rita AlTaji
"Let me get this straight. You want to marry me so you can autograph copies of your book for the quilting club?"
"Yes."
He couldn't resist teasing a little, "I don't know. That's not very romantic. I'm not sure that's a good reason for marriage."

You crack me up Janet Evanovich.

I loved the story, it was fast, simple and funny... Though, I'm glad it isn't the first book I read for Janet Evanovich.
Jessica Lee
A quick funny read to break up my harder quests. This is the first of Evanovich's numerous titles that I've read. It was fun to just get lost in this for a few hours and laugh along with the characters. There was a LOT going on, REALLY fast paced and a super quick wrap up. Good for in between some of my lengthier more emotional reads!
Cindi
Aug 07, 2015 Cindi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love Janet Evanovich!! She writes about real people with real problems!!! Liked the idea behind the story but liked her One for the money, Two for the dough series better.
Teresa Scott
Jan 31, 2012 Teresa Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tower-teams-iv
This book was a quick read and really funny. I love the between the Plum stories.
OpenBookSociety.com
Jun 19, 2015 OpenBookSociety.com rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: caro

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Caro

Wife for Hire is an amazing book! First you have Maggie, who just wants some time for herself and to write her book. But she’s unemployed and that isn’t the best of things to her mother and aunt eyes. They would prefer for her to get married and settle down before she gets any older. Maggie definitely will not agree to that.

Then we have Hank, who just wanted a blonde girl to play the role of his dear wife. But instead he
Jasmin
Wife for Hire by Janet Evanovich is a cute, fun and quick read.

Maggie Toone is an English teacher who doesn't fit in. Her grandmother gives her a diary, and asks her to make a book out of it. She decides to do it, but needs time off from work, but also needs an income while she writes it.

Hank Mallone is also a mitfit in his own town. He's a happy-go-lucky type of guy. But after years of having fun, Hank decides to set roots in his hometown. His grandmother left him an apple orchard. He decides t
Elizabeth
May 16, 2012 Elizabeth rated it liked it
I'm not a huge fan of romances, so I'm probably not the best person to judge this. I don't think it was a "good" book, per se, and it seems especially flawed when compared to the Stephanie Plum series, but Evanovich certainly scores points for keeping me entertained. While the premise is a little shaky and the characters start out pretty flat, the second half of the book really picks up, and parts of it are very funny. I liked the little mini-mystery; it's enough to keep the book from just being ...more
Cherise
Jul 12, 2008 Cherise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
OK, so this isn't the most emotionally deep or content heavy book on the planet... but it's cute. I hate that word but that is really the one word that popped up in my head over and over while reading... cute.

Longtime Janet Evanovich fans will recognize some similarities between the characters in this book to some of those in the Plum series. Elsie Hawkins is a character in this book as she is in a few of the other early romances written by Ms. Evanovich.

The mystery portion of this book was we
Jess
It was like a bad Hallmark movie. You knew it was going to be okay at the end, but the process made you roll your eyes countless times.
Margie
Sep 11, 2011 Margie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Short book read it in a couple of hours, very predictable, only read it cause my mother in law left it while visiting. Typical romance novel if you like Janet Evanovich you'll like this book.
Jessica
Lots of fun! Totally light and fluffy, and not at all meant to be taken seriously, which is just what I needed this week. It took about an hour to read.
Christel
Dec 03, 2007 Christel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: janet-evanovich
Loved this book. Really enjoyed this. and just loved how it ended actually shed a tear
Emily
Nov 10, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
I listened to this one in the car on my way to and from work. It provided many laughs. I love Elsie Hawkins's character, she is just such a fiesty old lady.
Stephanie
Quick read. Adorable. Made me laugh a lot.
Minette Lauren
Mar 19, 2017 Minette Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super cute story with characters you wish you knew in real life. Funny and romantic, just the way I like it. Great brain candy getaway
Andrea
Mar 05, 2017 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Evanovich book where the main character doesn't fit in and unexpectedly falls in love when trying to run away from her problems. A quick read when you want to take a break from the world and get a good laugh.
Kirsti (Melbourne on my mind)
2.5 stars.

This is one of a string of these books that I'm rereading solely to determine if they're worth keeping or if I can get rid of them and make space on my shelves for new things. I would just get rid of them without rereading them, but they represent like 3 years of presents from a very dear friend, and so I feel a little obligated to give them another chance before I toss them out.

ANYWAY.

This had its good points and OMG WHY IS THIS HAPPENING EVERYTHING IS HORRIBLE points. Good? It fea
Amy
May 11, 2014 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did think the book was a funny , cute , and quick read. The plot was weak and was not paced well , in my opinion. Thankfully, Janet Evanovich did better by the time she began writing the Stephanie Plum series.
In this story we have Hank a small town trouble maker , who has come back home to try and run an apple orchard at his granny's old farm. The problem is he needs a loan , but his father the bank manger, will not give it to him unless he sees signs that Hank has matured. Hank thinks the be
Maura
Connie N.
Cute. That's about the best adjective I can find to describe this book. Evanovich has delved into chick-lit/romance, using her humor and light-hearted writing style in this venue as well as she does in the mystery genre. I loved Hank, our hero who had quite a bit of a ladykiller reputation in Skogan, Vermont, of all places! His passion is to grow apple trees and build an empire around apples, cider, and pies. He loves his hometown and the people in it, despite their eccentricities. He has hired ...more
Rosa Cline
2 star
Rosa Cline
2 star

Jane Night

Full review appears on my blog:
I love Janet Evanovich. I love her Stephanie Plum series. Wife for Hire is the first of her romances I have read. I wasn’t real impressed.

Wife for Hire is told with her customary humor. It is a very funny and short read. I laughed out loud several times. The hilarious antics of cat and dog and man and woman were well written.

Wife for Hire didn’t have much going plot wise. The plot it had was not believable. There also isn’t m
Molly Cline
This was book 3 of this series but I was very disappointed in it, versus enjoying the first two books so much. Elsie (whom the series is named after) is almost like a 'second thought' in this book and she is what made the other stories so fun to read-listen to. The story was nice but it just seemed that after about half way the author lost what she was doing with the characters and so was just the couple being together; then like a stalled car; the story just was sluggish after that. And yes, yo ...more
Anita
Jan 31, 2010 Anita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, romance
Janet Evanovich is the master at knowing what women wants. If you want a romance, BAM, she delivers. If you want funny, BAM, she's on top of that too. I've not yet been disappointed with one of her books. The plots in her books, however predictable, are always fun and entertaining. And she never fails to deliver a very well rounded happily ever after - and that really IS why we read these books, right?

Janet is also the master of creating characters that you can relate to and are enjoyable. I alw
Wife for Hire 3 23 Aug 06, 2012 01:25PM
Join in the discussions! 1 7 Apr 30, 2009 01:28PM
  • Foul Play
  • The Plot Thickens (Fearless Jones, #0.5)
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • Double Dare (Harlequin Blaze #324)
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • Secret Weapon Spouse (Miami Confidential #1)
  • Dating the Rebel Tycoon (The Kellys of Brisbane, #1)
  • The Captive
  • The Italian's Rightful Bride
  • Good Girls Don't
  • Patrick's Destiny (The Devaneys #4)
  • Hot for Him (Secret Lives of Daytime Divas, #3)
  • The Player
  • Heart of Gold (Rainbow Chasers #1)
  • Faith (Virtue, #2)
  • Gingham Bride (Buttons and Bobbins, #1)
  • Frontier Courtship
More about Janet Evanovich...

Elsie Hawkins (4 books)
  • Back to the Bedroom (Elsie Hawkins #1)
  • Smitten (Elsie Hawkins #2)
  • The Rocky Road to Romance (Elsie Hawkins #4)

“And Larry Burlew was a slug. She’d join the Foreign Legion before she’d marry Larry Burlew.” 0 likes
“What if there was no house keeper? What if it had been a ploy to get a woman alone?” 0 likes