Start by marking “There Are Worse Things I Could Do” as Want to Read:
There Are Worse Things I Could Do

There Are Worse Things I Could Do

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A revealing witty memoir of Adrienne Barbeau's career and marriages.
Published April 3rd 2007 by Da Capo Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about There Are Worse Things I Could Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Are Worse Things I Could Do

Tim
I have liked Adrienne Barbeau since I was a kid. And a couple years ago when one of my editors sent me a book she wrote about Hollywood Vampyres, I found out she was a hoot. I liked the first of her two humorous/vampire/mystery/gossip mash-ups. She really created her own sub-sub genre. I'm not a big biography reader (though I recently loved the Elisabeth Sladen bio, I admit) but I added this to my list & my Honey got it for me for my birthday.

Turns out she's a hoot when she talks about herse
Goose
A well written, fast moving autobiography. Barbeau is such a good writer that I might have to check out the vampire novels she has written. Great book for any fan of the actress or anyone who is interested in being an actress. I do wish there were a few more insights about working on certain tv shows or movies but that's just a small disappointment in my mind.
Deborah Cartwright
Articulate and fascinating! I was expecting something completely different from one of my favorite genre actresses. Just a great journey and fabulously written! And this book has so much more than just the history of an actress, but of a human who grew up in a culture most of us have never heard of! (Unless you're from Glendale, CA where the city plans an entire week of events to remember the Armenian Genocide) Alas there is plenty of juicy fun stuff as well so it was a perfect blend of Hollywoo ...more
HeavyReader
Nov 27, 2007 HeavyReader rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who needs a fluffy distraction
Shelves: life-stories
I picked up this book on a whim, mostly because on Sea Lab 2021, the Captain often talks about wanting to be an Adrienne Barbeaubot. Tony didn't know who Andrienne Barbeau was, and all I could do to explalin was mutter, "Maude...big boobs..." I didn't really know how to explain her because I didn't know too much about her. Now I know a lot about her.

This was a really fun book to read. It was fluffy and hard to put down. More cotton candy for the brain, but I liked it. Adrienne Barbeau seems like
Haizle The Princess Williams
I would consider myself a tough audience for memoirs. I must make that disclaimer before saying that I thought this was a pretty decent book. I'm not exactly sure it was written on an adult level. Sure she uses some rated r words, but I think this book would probably have more appeal to a teenager. I did like her humorous take on her life and self deprecating tone. I did not like how the book seemed to skip around a lot. (But that's because I find a memoir easier to read when it is more linear.) ...more
Sharon
Adrienne Barbeau is not only a gifted actress and singer, but a gifted writer as well. There is early proof in the excerpts from her journals starting in fifth grade and her ninth grade term paper., “To Be Or Not To Be: Acting as a Vocation”. She writes with honesty, strength, humility and humor. This book will make you laugh, cry and just root for the skinny little girl with glasses and bushy hair that became a beautiful woman, mother, wife and a darned good actress.
Dave Russell
I went to see Adrienne Barbeau at Clair De Lune. I was a little scared--and kind of attracted to--her when I was younger, but when I met her she was just a normal middle aged woman (in leather pants.) He book was suprisingly good, though. After I read it, I went back and saw Cannonball Run. I liked it as a kid. As I watched it again I realized what a stupid kid I was. Good book, but all in all a pretty disillusioning experience.
Allie Sanfi
My sister-in-law bought this book for my husband and I and I was really stoked to read it. We went to see her speak at showing of The Fog in Durham (10/06) and she was really well-spoken...Very funny and loved talking about her twins (children, that is). I was a bit disappointed in the book, however. I was wanting more of a "juicy-gossip" type book and it wasn't that at all. The chapter on Burt Reynolds is great, though.

Michael
I have liked Adrienne Barbeau since I was a kid and bought her book because a friend of mine brought me to her reading here in Portland. While I really just wanted to meet her in person and have the book signed I was pleasantly surprised at the readability of this book and the stuff I learned. If you are interested in stage and film insider stories and are a fan of camp and horror classics this is a fun one.
Brett Bydairk
Very well-written, although it starts kind of slow, within just a few pages it picks up and maintains a nice rhythm. Once I started, I didn't want to stop; the fairly short chapters helped.
Ms. Barbeau tells of her childhood, getting into acting, and the highs, lows, satisfactions, disappointments and triumphs of her chosen career, and does it with wit and style.
Highly recopmmended.
Michael
I enjoyed this. Always had a thing for her, but she's smarter, funnier, and more real than I expected, as revealed in the story of a really interesting life told with an artists courage. If you like her, read this, and get to know who she really is.
Debra
I found her story interesting and well written. Her small section on Burt Reynolds was enlightening. He is a Hollywood weird-o, what the heck you can't break up with women yourself?

Enjoyed the book and would recommend it.
Neb
May 26, 2010 Neb rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: actors, performers
Insightful and honest memoir of Ms. Barbeau's journey into the entertainment industry. Comes across as a tough, tender, hard-working, self-deprecating and delightful person. Good read for fans and folks in the biz.
Sue
Non-fiction. Autobiography. Really good. Was in Maude and lots of movies - mostly horror movies - but she's afraid to watch horror movies! Married for awhile to John Carpenter - director. Had identical twins at 51!
Cedarlakeinn
This is a great autobiography. I read it in one sitting (couldn't put it down). She is a very good writer. And it was an interesting read. Had her autograph it for me. She is very down to earth.
Jamie
Easy, quick read. Liked it. Seems like a "normal" person, which is rare to see. She was a lot like her character Carol in "Maude." Feminist, out-spoken and liberal.
Amy Polis
Amy Polis marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Christine Peterson
Christine Peterson marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Penni
Penni marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Gail
Gail marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
All my life I’ve been a performer – an actress, a singer, a dancer, even a talk show host – but never in the wildest dreams of my first 50 years did I ever imagine I would write something that other people would read. I still can’t quite get over it.

Adrienne began her career entertaining our servicemen throughout Southeast Asia. She made her Broadway debut as Tevye’s daughter, Hodel, in Fiddler on
More about Adrienne Barbeau...
Vampyres of Hollywood  (Vampyres of Hollywood, #1) Love Bites (Vampyres of Hollywood, #2) Anne McCaffrey Gift Pack: Crystal Singer & Killashandra Dragonflight / Dragonquest (Pern: Dragon Riders of Pern, #1-2) The Wings of Pegasus (Omnibus: To Ride Pegasus \ Pegasus in Flight)