Start by marking “Winters' Tales: Stories and Observations for the Unusual” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Winters' Tales: Storie...

Jonathan Winters

Winters' Tales: Stories and Observations for the Unusual

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  112 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The most original and influential comic mind of our generation gives us a rollicking tour of his expansive imagination. Alongside the hilarity are intimate, revealing, and poignant recollections of childhood`s pains and lost love, as well as remarkable illustrations from Winters` accomplished, surreal pen. From the Jonathan Winters'

Introduction: Throughout my life, I've b

Published October 12th 1988 by Vintage (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Winters' Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winters' Tales

Tex Roop
Dec 27, 2007 Tex Roop rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories from an interesting mind. Admittedly some of the stories leave you scratching your head wondering why but most of them just kind of transport you to the other world where the insane is the only thing that seems to make sense.
Diana
Apr 21, 2013 Diana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dark, dark humor and, in my opinion, not that humorous. Disappointing because I really enjoyed Jonathan Winters as a performer.
Tim Ganotis
Odd and mildly dark humor. The stories feel unpolished, like a first draft. All include some sort of twist ending, like a punchline, which feels repetitive and crutch-like in a collection like this. Not bad, but certainly not great either.
Shane
Apr 23, 2013 Shane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jonathan Winters is one of those artists who avoids brands or labels, even though he's best knows as a comedian. Each short story in this book is as idiosyncratically delightful and unique as the author, and it is one of those books that will have to be reread several times. One of the stories that really stood out was "I Stand Alone" - and I decided to typed it out in order to try to understand it a bit better, so here 'tis (hopefully sans errors):

"I Stand Alone"

Most of my life I was alone --
Julie Barrett
Feb 03, 2015 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Winter's Tale by Jonathan Winters
Collection of winter stories that are quite unusual.
Short stories about winter months and related from the comic who made Mork and Mindy.
Liked the dance one and the pheasant hunting with his grandfather the best.
Military ones were quite somber and sad.
Marsmannix
the world is a sadder place because Jonathan Winters is not here. Granted, his references may be dated, but his whimsical sweet quirky humor is timeless.
Nathan Langford
Had forgotten that I read this book years ago but with his passing, I remembered reading. I agree with many of the comments about some stories as sad and some surreal - but I do remember the book and I do not believe it was a waste of my time to read nor would it be a waste of another person's time to read it.
Ron Cooper
Jonathan Winters is one of all-time fave comedians, a master of brilliant impromptu humor. In this clever and well-written book, there are twists and turns and unexpected endings to nearly every story--just what you would expect of one of our nation's comic treasures.
Eyna
Sep 18, 2011 Eyna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A collection of tales with abrupt endings that may
linger in your head for a while. Credits for Winters'
wild imagination that makes the readers' thoughts wander
-- but some of which, I just find too exaggerated.
Brad
Dec 09, 2012 Brad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a bizarre book. There are some terrific stories and more than a couple of duds. Though he is a comedian, the best stories are the sad ones. You can tell this is a man who knew life is both tragedy and comedy.
Kat
Dec 10, 2007 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood_faves
i remember little about this book except the fact that i was really into it back in sixth grade for some reason.
Susan Moore
its so Jonathan Winters! funny, entertaining and sad at times.
Barry
Jan 14, 2013 Barry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: humans
Recommended to Barry by: mr winters
funny, sad, touching, brilliant, sometimes all at once.
Patrick Schultheis
Vera
Vera added it
Feb 03, 2016
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2016
Rob
Rob added it
Jan 26, 2016
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Doug
Doug added it
Jan 09, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Daniil Matniov
Daniil Matniov rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2015
Robert A.
Robert A. rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2015
Alan
Alan added it
Oct 17, 2015
Jash Gamotin
Jash Gamotin rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2015
Lawrence Spencer
Lawrence Spencer rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2015