Start by marking “Mystery Writers of America Presents The Blue Religion: New Stories about Cops, Criminals, and the Chase (MP3)” as Want to Read:

Mystery Writers of America Presents The Blue Religion: New Stories about Cops, Criminals, and the Chase (Mystery Writers of America Anthology)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  36 reviews
From Hawaii at the turn of the twentieth century to the post–Civil War frontier, from smoggy Los Angeles to the woods of Idaho, these gripping stories trace the perils and occasional triumphs of lawmen and women who put themselves in harm's way to face down the bad guys. Some of them even walk the edge of becoming bad guys themselves.

In T. Jefferson Parker's "Skinhead Cen
MP3, 0 pages
Published June 2nd 2008 by Tantor Media (first published January 1st 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about Mystery Writers of America Presents The Blue Religion

The collection of police crime fiction includes Law & Order type police procedural such as Persia Walker’s “Such a Lucky, Pretty Girl” to capers such as Bev Vincent’s “Rule Number One.” But all the stories are about cops and criminals and the onus and responsibility of the badge. And there is even a provocative story by Diana Hansen-Young, “Oaths, Ohana, and Everything,” about the handing-over of Hawaii to the United States. A great collection for crime fiction fans.

This is a collection of short stories focused on the cops feelings and emotions while on the job or after they retired.

Interesting exploration of the human nature from a law enforcement participant point of view, how are they affected by those cases are working on, how is their family affected, how they cope with the tragical or ugliness of the situations they need to face.

Some stories are better than others, some are more interesting and captivating than others and some are more moving than ot
Rae Cardiff
In any collection of short stories, in any genre, I expect a mixed level of story appeal, and this collection is no exception. There were some stories that I really got into and were over too soon, some that touched me, and others that left me wanting to read more by the author or learn more about a place, event or time in history; then, of course, there were some i probably couldn't tell you what they were about 10 minutes after reading. Overall, it is a worthwhile read for those readers intere ...more
This book is a pretty good book in my opinion. This book is pretty much made up of different stories by different authors involving cops. Most of this book tells about the day in the life of a cop pretty much. I will give you a brief summary of some of these stories. One of the stories is called Sack o woe. This story involves helping sex offenders get themselves back on their feet. Next, their is a story called Such a Lucky Pretty Girl, this one is about a girl that's murdered. Another story in ...more
The Blue Religion is a collection of police procedural short stories. When I started reading, I knew four authors who contributed to the collection. Now, having finished reading, I've added several authors to my "to read" list.

T. Jefferson Parker was true to form with his "Skinhead Central". I found a sly smile on my face as I finished up his story.

Alafair Burke's short story "Winning" was outstanding. When I first started the story, I was a bit jolted by the plot. I wasn't expecting it. But, I
It was difficult for me to give this book a third star but the inclusion of 3 or 4 at the most good stories along with most that were so so at best kept me from giving only 2. The last story which was by Connelly and featured his well known Harry Bosch was the best.

Overall this wasn't that bad of a book but there are better choices and better anthologies.
Chris Norbury
Nice variety of police-themed short stories. Great training for aspiring writers to study differences in style, voice, storytelling, etc., from some well-known writers.

What I admired most was each writer's ability to tell a complete story with amazing depth and detail. It seemed that not one word was wasted, and many sentences did double or triple duty, sometimes covering setting, characterization, and plot advancement in ten or twenty words.
This is a compilation of stories that tell the challenges and emotional stress of policemen. I could have easily not read some, but did have favorites: The Fool, Contact and Cover, Rule #1, The Price of Love, Father's Day, and especially A Certain Recollection, about a retired officer with Alzheimer's.
Short Stories - Recorded - An anthology of nineteen tales set in various regions and historical periods includes T. Jefferson Parker's "Skinhead Central," Alafair Burke's "Winning," Michael Connelly's "Father's Day," and works by Edward D. Hoch, Laurie R. King, and other notable authors.
A very good selection of short stories. Having been in law enforcement I could relate to some of the stories.
A good collection of short stories and didn't take to long to read.
Laurie Stoll
I finally had an "ah ha" moment. I was never really able to enjoy short stories because I read so quickly that I always ran out of story before I was ready.

My "ah ha" moment came when I decided to put this book in the smallest room in the house where I spend more time shaving than I do reading! This way I read very little at a time and am able to absorb and enjoy the stories more!

With this being a collection of short stories from various authors I enjoyed some stories more than others.
A fair range of short stories, quality varying
This book is a collection of short stories are all about police men and women.
Michael Connelly is the editor of this collection of Mystery Writers of America. The writers represented have a well document history of mystery writing.
As much as I enjoy reading Michael Connelly’s books this collection was not one of my favorites. At best, it was a mixed blessing I would however recommend to anyone who is a lover of the genre.
John Poen
A fantastic collection of law enforcement short stories. Edited by Michael Connelly. A bonus for me was a short story written by Michael Connelly with Harry Bosch as the main character!
Mixed bag. Only two or three of the stories are truly memorable("Serial Killer", "Skinhead Central", the Bosch story, and the wonderful one about the plastic badge), some of the rest read like uninspired creative writing exercises. The Bosch story sticks in my head mostly because of the premise, not because of the execution. Bosch works much better in long form.
Short stories are good bite size pieces of a book. This book of short stories was excellent. I was amazed by how different all of the crime stories could be. The editor chose stories with a wide variety of settings, time periods, and narrative voices. It's a good read if you are in the mood for some crime/mystery!
A solid collection with more hits than misses. Standout stories included "Skinhead Central" by T. Jefferson Parker; "Sack o' Woe" by John Harvey; "Serial Killer" by Jon L. Breen; "A Certain Recollection" by John Buentello; "The Fool" by Laurie R. King; and "Father's Day" by Michael Connelly.
Read for the Tracy story from A Fistful of Rain.

Fucking terrible yet unsurprising plot. I loved her all the more for taking care of shit in the only way that seemed viable.
Though there are a few stand-out stories in The Blue Religion, I can’t say that there’s a single dud. So if you’re a fan of crime fiction, this character-driven collection is definitely a must-read.

For the full review, see
Jul 11, 2012 Sierra rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ashli Garza
Excellent short story collection about cops, crimes and the triumphs and burdens they carry. I especially enjoyed the story about the homeless man who was a Good Samaritan and "What A Wonderful World." "Father's Day" was also good.
Diane D.
May 30, 2008 Diane D. marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up at the LA Times Festival of Books, and got to meet a few of the authors that have contributed to it - Michael Connelly and T. Jefferson Parker. Looks like a good book of short stories I will read through over the summer.
Carol Ann
A novelof shorts written by better known writers, along with some lesser known. A couple were good, the rest belong in compilation purgatory.
Kathie H
Aug 07, 2008 Kathie H rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young adults on up
I've read a previous compilation from the mystery writers & it was head & shoulders better than this one. Ultimately forgettable.
Great group of stories. The one about the retired old detective who stumbles on a murder scene is outstanding.
A great collection of short police centric mystery stories. If your a fan of the genre its well worth your time.
This was a collection of stories about police work. It was alright, not something I would normally read.
Rog Harrison
An interesting collection of short stories including a Harry Bosch story by Michael Connelly.
Brian Rueger
I am not big on short stories, but when it comes to police/detective stories, this is great.
Nice compilation, some better then others. I like the short story format.
  • Dangerous Women
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents The Prosecution Rests: New Stories about Courtrooms, Criminals, and the Law
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents Vengeance
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2002
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents Death Do Us Part: New Stories about Love, Lust, and Murder
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2009
  • The Mystery Writers of America Presents The Mystery Box
  • Chicago Blues
  • Breathing Water (Poke Rafferty Mystery, #3)
  • The Secret Society of Demolition Writers
  • By Hook or By Crook and 30 More of the Best Crime and Mystery Stories of the Year
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2012
  • Serpent in the Thorns (Crispin Guest, #2)
  • Los Angeles Noir