Start by marking “I've Heard the Vultures Singing: Field Notes on Poetry, Illness, and Nature” as Want to Read:
I've Heard the Vultures Singing: Field Notes on Poetry, Illness, and Nature

I've Heard the Vultures Singing: Field Notes on Poetry, Illness, and Nature

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  12 reviews
During her days as a park ranger, Lucia Perillo loved nothing more than to brave the Cascade Mountains alone, taking special pride in her daring solo skis down the raw, unpatrolled slopes of Mount Rainier. Then, in her thirties, she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. In I've Heard the Vultures Singing, Perillo confronts, in stark but funny terms, the ironies of being s ...more
Published May 24th 2007 by Trinity University Press

To ask other readers questions about I've Heard the Vultures Singing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I've Heard the Vultures Singing

Leslie
I've been a fan of this poet for some time, so it's with some sadness (learning of her struggle here with multiple sclerosis), but mostly great delight in her humor, her eye for natural detail that I look over her shoulder in this fine book of personal essays. I especially admired "Fear of the Market" for its take on the oddities of the market for literary poetry.
Kasey Jueds
Things I loved about this book: Lucia Perillo's sense of humor (smart, dry, edgy); her ability to be funny about generally serious, unfunny subjects (disability, poetry); her ability to move so effortlessly between those subjects, and to tie them together so thoughtfully and seamlessly. The last essay was my favorite; I can see rereading it over and over.
Deb
Damn. I picked this book up because I was so taken with Inseminating the Elephant (her last book of poetry) and I had to read more about Perillo. I'm so glad I did.

The only trouble is that I got it from the library, and I want to keep it.

Perillo is honest, funny, inventive, surprising, shocking. Not one whit is shy or repressed or coy.

Abby Howell
The author and poet, Lucia Perillo, writes her mediation on what it is like to have advanced multiple schlerosis. She is cranky, odd, and thoroughly real. She lives near Olympia, Washington I believe and she made me want to visit all the places she mentions in the book. Very well written.
Denise
Beautiful. Sad, profound, exceptionally well-written. (I like it when poets write prose!) Lots of post-it notes in this one by the time I was done with it, for beautiful language. But, I should warn you, feeling pretty vulnerable afterward, too!
Ann
Perillo is one of my favorite poets. Her essays are excellent. But I should have read the book over a longer period of time. Like a slow food banquet, not like the binge I indulged in.
Jeremy Sierra
Most people in my class liked this book quite a bit. A little too self pitying for me, and the poetic flourishes struck me as ridiculous about as often as they worked.
Diane
Turns out vultures don't sing. A humbling book, good to read if/when you're feeling sorry for yourself.
List
Brilliant discussion of health, life, illness and the sport of living. Oh, and poetry!!!
Melanie Jennings
A searing book about illness. A must read for anyone interested in illness as a metaphor.
Sandra
Perillo has MS and her writing is amazing.
Isobel
Isobel marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Carolyn Ellstra
Carolyn Ellstra marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Zein
Zein marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Irene McKenna
Irene McKenna marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Nathan Klatt
Nathan Klatt marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Mara
Mara marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Jeanne
Jeanne marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Larisa
Larisa marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Lucia Perillo has published five books of poetry, most recently Inseminating the Elephant, and a book of essays, I’ve Heard the Vultures Singing,. Perillo graduated from McGill University in Montreal in 1979 with a major in wildlife management and subsequently worked for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. She completed her M.A. in English at Syracuse University, and has taught at Saint Martin's C ...more
More about Lucia Perillo...
Happiness Is a Chemical in the Brain: Stories Inseminating the Elephant Luck Is Luck: Poems On the Spectrum of Possible Deaths The Body Mutinies