Start by marking “The Night Lives On” as Want to Read:
The Night Lives On

The Night Lives On

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,237 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
The Titanic struck an iceberg and sank on the night of 14th April, 1912, carrying more than fifteen hundred souls to the icy bottom of the mid-Atlantic. Why did the crew steam full speed ahead into dangerous waters despite six wireless warnings? How able was Captain Smith? Why did the nearby ship Californian ignore Titanic's distress signals?
Hardcover, Large Print, 256 pages
Published September 1st 1999 by Charnwood (first published January 1st 1985)

Chris
Good companion to Lord's other book about the Titanic. Lord tackles some of the questions raised by various people. The topics include the building of the ship as well as the ships discovery. Each chapter is a mini-story and the writing has vigor.
Matthew Kresal
Jul 25, 2011 Matthew Kresal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In 1955, Walter Lord's A Night To Remember was published and instantly became the definitive book on the sinking of the ocean liner Titanic in April 1912. Just over thirty years later and following the discovery of the Titanic two and a half miles below the surface of the North Atlantic, Lord's follow-up to it was published. The Night Lives On goes beyond that "night to remember" to look at the events that came before, during and after it.

To do this Lord brings a lot of focus to the book. While
Kat
Jun 20, 2013 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When James Cameron's Titanic was released in 1997 I was 15 years old, and after seeing the movie I became completely obsessed with reading every single book about Titanic that I could get my hands on. Yes, it was probably helped by the fact that I loved Leonardo di Caprio, but more than that I was infinitely fascinated by the glamour of the ship and the way that so many people died on that dark, freezing night.

Although I read a lot of books about it at that time, it was only last year that I rea
Dann
Apr 09, 2015 Dann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
In the wake of the Titanic's discovery and the renewed public interest in her, Walter Lord follows up his groundbreaking book A Night to Remember with the companion piece The Night Lives On. Researching the Titanic disaster further, Lord addresses many of the lingering questions and controversies that have come up; including the lack of a christening, the band’s last song, the breaking up of the ship, the Californian’s lack of action, and the various attempted salvage operations. The writing is ...more
Jina Bacarr
Apr 11, 2012 Jina Bacarr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Night Lives On brings the story of the ship of dreams out of the mist and into reality--it was written after the wreckage of the Titanic was found (the paperback I have shows a copyright of 1986, 1987).

Walter Lord gives us the facts here, not the romance, and he does an excellent job.

Trish
May 13, 2012 Trish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sequel to his definitive version of the Titanic sinking, A Night to Remember. Lord re-visits some of the material from the first book, and adds some more survivor stories and political fallout from the sinking. Good follow-up. Again, easy, clear prose style and nicely detailed.
Christine Rebbert
Walter Lord wrote what was for quite some time the definitive book about the Titanic disaster back in the 1950's, "A Night to Remember". This is the sequel, written in 1985. It is not as entertaining as the "Night" book was, and is mostly filled with a lot of statistics and a lot of dry facts about the building and mechanics of the ship and details about the various inquiries and lawsuits arising out of the sinking. The release of the book was literally on the edge of Bob Ballard's 1986 locating ...more
Travis
May 03, 2013 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Titanic has always fascinated me, and I enjoyed The Night Lives On, Walter Lord's follow-up to A Night to Remember. As other reviewers have indicated, this account goes beyond the events of April 1912 and explores some of the new understandings of what happened, seeking to explain the how and why events occurred as they did. As an authority on the disaster, Lord provides first-hand account of the incidents through the interviews he conducted with the individuals involved. He presents the details ...more
Wendolyn
Sep 13, 2012 Wendolyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wendolyn by: Author
Shelves: history
I appreciate the fact that this devoted, unbiased author returned to this subject after approximately 30 years to piece together the latest findings. More knowledge = more frustration surrounding events that could have been prevented. We learn more about the aftermath's effect.

I found it very interesting that in the first book, "A Night to Remember", the general consensus was that the Titanic went down in one piece. Most survivors in the lifeboats must have been unable to turn away from the trag
H.S. Contino
Dec 13, 2013 H.S. Contino rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a fascinating look at all of the mysteries and "what if's" of the Titanic tragedy. It was written by the same author as "A Night to Remember," only it was written around 20 years later-- after the discovery of the sunken ship. The author is a true Titanic historian and sifts through the TONS of material available on the topic. However, the organization of the book is a bit jarring. Rather than telling the story in chronological order, he organizes it by topics. For example, there is ...more
Rachel
Oct 06, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cindie
One hundred years after the Titanic sunk, you would think that the world’s fascination with it would have ebbed. You would be wrong.

I didn’t really love the Kate Winslet/Leo DiCaprio movie, but it was around that time (as a 12 year old) that I began reading about the famous ship and its more famous ending. I read Walter Lord’s A Night to Remember in middle school (I still remember checking it out of the school library). However, I wasn’t enough of a Titanic aficionado to know that he’d written a
Matthew Broman
Jan 30, 2015 Matthew Broman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very fascinating. .tells the story of the Titanic from several different aspects, from the first-hand accounts of both passengers and crew who were on the ship to the re-telling and usually contradictory accounts and statements made by the survivors in front of the Senate and Congressional hearing committee who layer investigated the tragedy. There has been much speculation as to who or what was to blame for the actual sinking as well as a lot of finger pointing, but and even tho we have some of ...more
Randy DiFrischia
Walter Lord is the unprecedented expert when it comes to knowledge of The Titanic.

For those already versed in the history of the Titanic or those just starting to study the events of that fateful night Walter Lord is the expert. With the turn of each page you feel as if your transported back to a time when class distinction lines were well drawn and how little the classification of those in third class meant to the people in first and even second class. You get the feeling the passenger liners o
Stacy
Jan 19, 2016 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book for Titanic fans, this one has short, easy to read chapters that present new accounts of the night from different perspectives. I've read probably a dozen Titanic books over the years and this one was definately worthwhile and full of new information I had not read in the others.
Fredrick Danysh
Known for his historical works, Lord takes on the last night of the passenger liner Titanic. He addresses many of the questions surrounding the ill fated voyage.
Karolinde (Kari)
While Walter Lord's first Titanic book focuses on the final hours of the doomed voyage, The Night Lives On deals more with the "hows," "whys," and "what happened laters." He also deals briefly with the investigations and with the eventual finding of the Titanic by Ballard's expedition. While not as riveting as A Night to Remember, The Night Lives On is equally informative and very well researched. This especially evident in the chapter that focuses on the Titanic's legendary band and their "fina ...more
Amanda
Apr 19, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one book that suffers in the e-book format, I think. Really, I think it's the main chapter where Lord uses transcripts to show how different people viewed the disaster as it was unfolding. I think that would have been better suited to a physical book, as well as the index. But other than that, I couldn't stop reading. Lord really had a way of getting inside of Titanic and making it accessible, even through all the maritime data, all the ship and engineering data, and especially in this b ...more
Gerrit
Sep 09, 2014 Gerrit rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not as compelling as "A Night to Remember," but an important update all the same.
Diane Wachter
RDC-M V 3 1987, 11/87. Untold stories and secrets behind the Titanic sinking. Okay.
Tarissa
Dec 22, 2015 Tarissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite books about the Titanic are both written by Walter Lord – This is one of them! The two when put together are the most informative and thrilling accounts of the Titanic that I know of. "The Night Lives On" has so many details packed into its pages that it is hard to believe that one author could write it all. The story of the ship, her passengers, the survivors... everything you wish to know about the Titanic is in here! Walter Lord's thoughts and information are so helpful during an ...more
Jerry Hinson
Feb 14, 2014 Jerry Hinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent as far as sequels go
Nikki
Published some 30 years after A Night to Remember, The Night Lives On adds information that had not yet realized in the1950s. For example, The Night Lives On goes into some detail about Robert Ballard's expedition that discovered the Titanic. (There is a very interesting documentary about that, btw.) While I was thoroughly engrossed by this book (as I am with all things Titanic), I feel that it works well as an accompaniment to A Night to Remember and may not stand well on its own.
Matt
Dec 04, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really solid read. Clearly deep on detail, this book was pretty specific on a number of topics from The Band, to the captain, to even the gash in the hull. Written as a follow on to the original Titanic classic " A night to remember" also written by Lord 30 years prior.

Much more data this time and specifics as it was written after the wreck was located in 1985. This is for the hard core Titaniac. Give this a solid 4 stars if you are really into the Titanic.

Becca
Oct 24, 2015 Becca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I think the new information and exploration of different theories about a lot of different aspects of the story of Titanic made it that bit more interesting and enjoyable than Lord's previous book A Night to Remember (which, while outdated when I read it in April 2015, was still really interesting.) This book was written fantastically and held my interest throughout. I would definitely recommend it.
Delores
Jun 17, 2008 Delores rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I picked up this book thinking it was the first book, A Night to Remember. Realizing that it wasn't, I read it anyway. History was always my favorite subject and recently I got on this Titanic kick. This rekindled my love of history. Definitely an interesting read. Such a tragedy. I'm looking forward to reading A Night to Remember which I believe is made up primarily of survivor accounts.
Alejandra Castro
Mar 09, 2012 Alejandra Castro rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I think its good, i mean i thought it would of been more interserting. I mean its was good and everthing, but it needed more colorful words. To be honest i don't finish reading it, because it was not catching my attention, really. If you want information about the titanic you should read this. But if you what stoires about lives i would recommend this book.
Sean Kennedy
(3.5 / 5)

A revisit of his classic "A Night to Remember" some thirty years later, Lord adds to the encyclopedia of Titanica with further tales of survivors and victims, a look at the California's role in the night, and an indepth look at one family on board the ship. Fascinating, but more a series of essays than the narrative form of the first book.
Graceann
Nov 28, 2007 Graceann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: History Lovers
Shelves: history
Somewhat less satisfying than A Night to Remember, Walter Lord's sequel is still worth the time it takes to read. Putting in the stories that he didn't know or couldn't use at the time of the first book, this is a nice summation of the Titanic saga, and fine reading for anyone who continues to be fascinated, as I am, by the story.
Barbara
More vignettes than another comprehensive story, the most interesting parts of this book for me were Lord's sharpened criticisms of Smith. Where in A Night to Remember, Smith comes off as unprepared and ineffectual, Lord now seems to think he was criminally negligent. There's certainly ample evidence for that.
  • The Titanic: End of a Dream
  • Her Name, Titanic
  • Down with the Old Canoe: A Cultural History of the Titanic Disaster
  • Titanic Survivor
  • The Loss of the S.S. Titanic: Its Story and Its Lessons
  • The Titanic Disaster Hearings: The Official Transcripts of the 1912 Senate Investigation
  • Titanic: Legacy of the World's Greatest Ocean Liner
  • Last Dinner On the Titanic: Menus and Recipes From the Great Liner
  • 882 1/2 Amazing Answers to Your Questions About the Titanic
  • Titanic: Destination Disaster : The Legends and the Reality
  • Lost Voices From the Titanic: The Definitive Oral History
  • How to Survive the Titanic: or, The Sinking of J. Bruce Ismay
  • Titanic Love Stories: The True Stories of 13 Honeymoon Couples Who Sailed on the Titanic
Walter Lord was an American author, best known for his documentary-style non-fiction account, A Night to Remember, about the sinking of the RMS Titanic.

In 2009, Jenny Lawrence edited and published The Way It Was: Walter Lord on His Life and Books.
More about Walter Lord...