Start by marking “Visions Of Sugar Plums” as Want to Read:
Visions Of Sugar Plums

Visions Of Sugar Plums (Stephanie Plum #8.5)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  55,163 ratings  ·  1,301 reviews

And there's a strange man in her kitchen.

Sure, this has happened to Stephanie Plum before.
Published (first published November 5th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Visions Of Sugar Plums, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Visions Of Sugar Plums

Jacqueline
Dec 28, 2008 Jacqueline rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one- why? It sucked!
Recommended to Jacqueline by: Owned in my personal library
Shelves: genre-fiction
After reading the first few pages in the book, at the onset I was pretty sure I was going to enjoy this book. After reading the first chapter, I knew I'd hate it!

Not only did the story seem excessivly rushed, with countless scenes being skimmed over with no detail whatsoever, but the charaters alone were basic and uninteresting. The plot alone was horrible, with a somehow supernatural dude popping into the main character, Stephenie's, life without an explanation whatsoever. The supernatural aspe
Kourtney
I got impatient waiting for the next Stephanie Plum book to come out so I thought I would go back and read one of the books released in between. Normally I like these books because they make me laugh, they are quick reads and the characters are well developed. This book made me laugh and was a quick read; however, it felt rushed and not fully developed. All of a sudden it just ended. It also involved a character that is in some of her later novels but the events that happened in this book are ne ...more
Tracy
OMG I can not read any more of these books. I am totally done. Reading these books is like watching a terrible sitcom with a laugh track that says "you should be laughing now"...but I'm not. These books are trite, cliched and just plain uninteresting. I don't have any idea why Diesel was dropped into the story with a silly "supernatural" element and honestly, how many times can we hear about the hamster in his hamster wheel and how Stephanie's car blew up yet again. I know lots of people love th ...more
Natasa
Oh my, the last third of the book was hillarious. I was laughing out so loud, I was afraid the guests in the next room would think I've gone nuts. Luckily I was listening the audio book from my laptop and not on my headphones how I usually listen to them.

This is my first encounter with Janet Evanovich work and this series. I kind of jumped in the middle, but I chose this book because it was the shortest, a bit less than 200 pages and 3 hours of audio book.

I have no idea if all of her books are s
Paula  Phillips
Have you ever read a character from one of your favourite series and thought hmmm, I wonder how they came up with that character. Well , as I was reading the Christmas Novella of the Stephanie Plum adventures and to my surprise the author Janet Evanovich had introduced a supernatural character named Diesel and I was like OMG thats Diesel from her latest series Wicked Appetite and Wicked Business.
As we are also used to strange men popping up in Stephanie Plum's novel , at first she doesn't blink
Jackie Lane
With only four days until Christmas, Stephanie awakes to find a man in her kitchen. Finding a man in her house is not new to Stephanie, she has had all kinds of crazy and this is just a drop in the bucket. His name is Diesel and Stephanie is not sure how he got in, apparently he just "popped" in. He is tall, sexy and very mysterious and accordingly, has "superpowers". Stephanie tries to get him out of her apartment as she needs to apprehend Sandor Clausen aka, Sandy Claws, an older man who makes ...more
Hattie Norman
I know Christmas is long gone. This past Christmas I had no time to read holiday books. So, I thought why not read one in January. After all, there is a Christmas in July. Actually, I've read two in January, 2012. Only JANET EVANOVICH could make me want to deck the halls with holly in January. Stephanie Plum meets a new guy who appears out of nowhere. His name is Diesel. Diesel helps Stephanie look for a guy named Ring and another guy named Santy Claws. Santy Claws missed his court appearance. H ...more
Tara
Well, this book review is mostly tainted by the person that read the book since I listen to this series on audio.

I'll start with the story. It was an ok story although the addition of a supernatural element was more than a little strange in what has been a reality-ish based series for the 8 previous books. And the addition of yet another man that's attracted to Stephanie is becoming ridiculous. I mean every hot man that enters the series becomes a potential love interest. Doesn't she ever have
Corie
3.5 Stars Really, NOT 3.

I LOVE to read most all things... Supernatural, Paranormal, Preternatural,... just "Other" in general. Even some sci-fy, distopian and fantasy. But I do have a few "Non-Other" books and series that I enjoy and look forward to reading. The Stephanie Plum Books are some of those "Non-Other" books that I love.

This Stephanie Between the Numbers has crossed over a bit and I can't decide if I'm thrilled with the mix. Somehow "Other" in Stephanie's world just doesn't seem to fit
Elizabeth
I like the Stephanie Plum books, but this book just doesn't seem to fit in the series. It is funny, of course, but it doesn't feel like Stephanie Plum. Ranger and Vinnie aren't in this book, and Morelli and Lula only get a handful of pages apiece. Stephanie spends most of the book in the company of Diesel, a supernatural superhero who flirts with her and chases superpowered supernatural villains. I don't think the supernatural elements fit too well with the Plum novels, either, and it isn't even ...more
Paula Ratcliffe
With the holiday season coming I thought I would jump in and read some holiday books, and what better way to head to Trenton NJ with our fearless lucky bounty hunter Stephanie Plum who is down on the Christmas spirit trying to hunt Sandy Claws, she also meets Diesel who winds up in her kitchen. Diesels job is to catch Mr. Ring who is out to hurt Sandy.

This was full of so much humor with a child thinking she's a horse and is Stephanie's neice, to Grandma Mauzer missing her teeth. They spend time
Chance Lee
This Between-the-Numbers book is short and kind of boring. It introduces Diesel, but fails to make him interesting. It feels scattered, despite the fact that Stephanie only has one focus for the whole book. There's no Ranger (yay!) but there's also only two pages of Lula (boo!). Stephanie is chasing a magical man who might be Santa Claus. He is guarded by an army of little people who might be elves. The elves often attack Stephanie, pelting her with cookies or jumping onto her car and having to ...more
Shawnee Bowlin
Janet Evanovich knows how to evoke a laugh with her far-out vision of Stephanie Plum's family. Although I found the character Diesel to be a little too farfetched, and a little confusing to the reader considering the relationship between Stephanie and Morelli, it was still fun to follow the story as they chased the bad/not so bad guys. The grandmother is hilarious, and I'm hoping to discover more about the elusive Diesel in other books Janet has written.
Rebecca
Dec 12, 2007 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stephanie Plum fans
I needed to read this book yesterday. Stephanie Plum serves as a huge pick me up for me. This book did not disappoint. A little different than the full lake Plum mysteries. There was even a bit of the supernatural, but otherwise pretty much true to Evanovich's form.
Emily
So the whole supernatural aspect was somewhat weird and I'm not really a fan of it, at least not in this series. Despite that I laughed out loud numerous occasions.
Jerry
Hilarious Plum entree, but very short novella, loose ends...

We really wondered what a Plum / Evanovich Christmas story would be like. Somewhat to our surprise, it picks up where #8 left off, with Kloughn, revealed herein to be Jewish, still chasing sister Valerie, who turns up ever so pregnant. Stephanie is as usual chasing an FTA she can't find, despite the help of a somewhat other worldly stud named Diesel. Morelli looks him over hard a few times, but nothing much happens; Ranger is totally o
Iris Blobel
It felt really good to have a Stephanie Plum book in my hand, though this one was .... hmmmm .... different.

So, it’s just before Christmas and Steph wakes up one morning with some handsome guy named Diesel in her kitchen. She’s got no idea, how he got in, what he wants or even worse, how to get rid of him. She pushes him in front of the door, but magically he can make the way back int! But to my surprise, Steph doesn’t ring anybody for help ...

After a while Steph leaves to find her FTA, Sandy
Michelle Kelly
Sandy
Nice short read!

It's only May, but after reading this book, I miss Christmas already. Who can resist shopping and nice food?

The story is quite short with no depth or much description about the supernatural world. However, it's a holiday novella, so I enjoy it with holiday spirits without thinking too much. Besides, I always love short stories, and the lack of depth doesn't bother me.

There are many laugh-out-loud moments in the book. There's no Ranger, but you have all the Plum family including G
Eileen
Darn! I was quite disappointed in my first "between the numbers" Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. I can't decide if it was reading a holiday themed book in July, or just it didn't have the same "feel" as the others. It could have been the supernatural appearance of "Diesel". Taking a down to earth series and all of a sudden making the storyline out-of-this-world may have been my ticket to disappointment. I've got several other "between the numbers" books on hand and will see if they cha ...more
Richard Ward
Egad. I got this book for free yet I feel like I overpaid. I normally like the Stephanie Plum books a lot, so then this stinker reeked all the more for me. I would have hated it even without the discussion of abortion in the middle of the book. No topic puts you in the Christmas spirit like abortion! Other than that, the plot made no sense to me, nor did the new characters, even if I suspend disbelief on the supernatural/paranormal stuff. Some of the recurring oddballs that make the series so mu ...more
Whitney Boatright
With Lorraine in her nightie and mo in his cap, they'd just settled their brains for a long winters nap in front of the television. When out in the lot there arose such a clatter, they sprang from their recliners to see what was the matter. Away to the window they flew like a flash, tore open the blinds and threw up the sash. And what to their wondering eyes should appear, but Stephanie plum and yet another of her cars burning front to rear. Lol loved that part.

Lol loved this book. !!! It was e
Ellie
Visions of Sugar Plums is a short Christmas instalment to the Stephanie Plum series. This holiday novella is a step-off the beaten path from the usual Stephanie Plum books though with a little bit of fantasy thrown in just for good measure, I guess. In this novella, we find Stephanie trying to hunt down Santy Claws for being FTA three days before Christmas, a bunch of crazed psychotic elves who have a grudge against Steph, throw in a drop-dead gorgeous man named Diesel who just "appears" in Step ...more
Library-KAT
Funny, maybe, some parts... mostly not....

Four days before christmas & Stephanie comes home to find Diesel in her kitchen. No tree, no lights, no gifts, no money.... but she's working on a skip. Sandy Claws, a toymaker (who has now gone into hiding) didn't show for his hearing and it's up to Steph. to pull him in. Diesel is sticking very close to Steph. and he's not saying why.

All of a sudden there are major electrical storms, fires, power outages and they seem to be connected to Sandy Claws
Kris
2 STARS

"It's five days before Christmas and things are not looking merry for Fugitive Apprehension Agent Stephanie Plum. She hasn't got a tree. She hasn't bought any presents. The malls are jam-packed with staggering shoppers. There's not a twinkle light anywhere to be seen in her apartment.

David Caldwell
This is a special Christmas story in the Stephanie Plum mystery series. It takes place between books 8 and 9 of that series. It is fairly short, around 165 pages, in length.

Christmas has come to the Burg, but not necessarily to Stephanie Plum's apartment. It is only a few days until Christmas and Stephanie has no gifts, decorations, or even cards bought. What she does have is a FTA named Sandy Claws and a strange man named Diesel popping into her kitchen. Diesel may not be exactly human. He basi
Duncan Mandel

And there's a strange man in her kitchen.

Sure, this has happened to Stephanie Plum before. Strangers, weirdos, felons, creeps, and lunatics are always finding their way to her front door. But this guy is different.

Amber
I'm reading all of the Plum series (listening to them actually), and I have a love hate relationship with her for reasons I've listed before - but this one - I did not like. I got halfway through about 3 times, and always had to start over - because I felt lost. I always felt that I was missing something, the storyline felt choppy and rushed to me. I've already listened to 9 and working on 10 right now - and so far "Visions of Sugar Plums" - by far the worst Plum series book I've read so far.
C
I borrowed this Christmas "between-the-numbers" book around the holidays, thinking that Evanovich could do no wrong, especially not with Stephanie Plum. What a mistake.

This book is an uncomfortable mix of the typical Plum fare (sex, silliness, sass and explosions) and a VERY bizarre alternate fantasy world. I finished feeling like I could've done less damage by just taking the book and hitting myself over the head with it. If I could, I would give this zero stars.
Carol
I'm a big Evanovich fan. This book was a touch on Christmas, and with only 5 days away, this guy shows up on her doorstep. Have you ever read a character from one of your favourite series and thought hmmm, I wonder how they came up with that character. Well, as I was reading the Christmas Novella of the Stephanie Plum adventures and to my surprise the author Janet Evanovich had introduced a supernatural character named Diesel.
As we are also used to strange men popping up in Stephanie Plum's nov
Janet Evanovich B...: Diesel Love 23 73 Feb 13, 2015 05:56PM
The Women's Myste...: #9 Visions of Sugar Plums 1 2 Aug 09, 2013 10:52PM
Join in the discussions! 1 24 Apr 30, 2009 01:34PM
  • R is for Ricochet (Kinsey Millhone, #18)
  • The Plot Thickens (Fearless Jones, #0.5)
  • Blueberry Muffin Murder (Hannah Swensen, #3)
  • Bubbles A Broad (Bubbles Yablonsky, #4)
  • One Hot Mess (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery #5)
  • High Anxiety (Crazy, #3)
More about Janet Evanovich...

Stephanie Plum (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1)
  • Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2)
  • Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3)
  • Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4)
  • High Five (Stephanie Plum, #5)
  • Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6)
  • Seven Up (Stephanie Plum, #7)
  • Hard Eight (Stephanie Plum, #8)
  • To the Nines (Stephanie Plum, #9)
  • Ten Big Ones (Stephanie Plum, #10)
One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2) Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3) Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4) Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6)

“Everyone wants a Christmas tree. If you had a Christmas tree Santa would bring you stuff! Like hair curlers and slut shoes.” 47 likes
“I wasn’t sure anymore what made a good marriage. There had to be love, of course, but there were so many different kinds of love. And clearly, some love was more enduring than others.” 11 likes