Start by marking “Scent to Her Grave (A Bath and Body Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Scent to Her Grave (A Bath and Body Mystery, #1)

Scent to Her Grave (A Bath and Body Mystery #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  351 ratings  ·  44 reviews
The fairest of them all...

Lydia Wang is the newly crowned winner of a local beauty pageant--and the queen of mean. Used to getting what she wants, she ends up in an fight with Persia over the store's newest acquisition: the Mirror of Aphrodite. Reflecting only the most beautiful aspects of the person looking into it, the mirror is a huge draw and definitely not for sale--
Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Published October 4th 2005 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Scent to Her Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scent to Her Grave

One for the Money by Janet EvanovichChocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeAbby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria LaurieThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithMurder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
Best Cozy Mystery Series
346th out of 969 books — 1,105 voters
One for the Money by Janet EvanovichChocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukePleating for Mercy by Melissa BourbonA is for Alibi by Sue GraftonHer Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen
First books of some good cozy series
195th out of 310 books — 374 voters

More lists with this book...

Michele
This was a delicious book. I loved all the recipes for bath salts and perfumes. Yummy! The mystery was good, although I guessed who the murderer was in the beginning. There was a little romantic tension going on with a couple of guys and it made me want to read the next book to see where all that will go. The characters were delightful, I loved Persia and her Auntie and friend Barb. All in all a very good read.
Lara Ballard
Oct 24, 2011 Lara Ballard rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a good, short mystery
Recommended to Lara by: Lorie Ballard
I found this a great book! It was one of the books my mother recommended to me. It's a great murder mystery with a little touch of romance. I enjoyed the wiccany sort of feeling this book had, especially the healthy tips and beauty oils that were amongst the pages. Persia Vanderbuilt definitely sounds like my kind of gal pal!
Kristen
If you like to read something different for a change in cozies, pamper yourself with India Ink's Scent to Her Grave in the Bath and Body Mystery series. Persia Vanderbilt owns and works at Venus Envy,a bath and body shop dealing with fragrances and facials in Gull Harbor, an island across from Seattle, Washington. She didn't expect to get embroiled into a mystery or into a perplexed love triangle, too. When Lydia Wang gets killed in her shop, it could mean more than bad business for her shop. We ...more
Dalene
I was excited to start a new series with a new theme. I had not read anything with this type of theme before and was really excited. The setting was quaint and identifiable. Persia and her aunt are a great combination for owning the bath and body store. Their relationship is very unique in that they only have each other. Persia is just back to the small town from having lived away for some time, and has to work through issues of the past. Her aunt is a great reminder of the fact that things are ...more
Jan
Persia has returned to her island hometown off the coast of Washington followin a string of lack-lustre jobs and a desasterous relationship. She is working at her aunt's spa and bath products store and using her extremely delicate sense of smell to create scents for the spa and one-of-a-kind scents for individual customers. When one of the more prominent and annoying customers ends up dead in the store, and one of her aunt's employees is arrested for the crime, Persia can't help but stick her no ...more
Connie N.
This was a very fun cozy. I particularly liked the main character, Persia (isn't that a great name?). She is an active, attractive, fit woman who takes care of herself, but not to the point of being obsessive. She's a self-defense instructor who also has a sensitive nose and can create lovely custom fragrances. I like her irreverence, and her getting involved in the mystery was mostly natural except for a rather unbelievable visit to a dangerous nightclub that didn't turn out at all the way I ex ...more
Books4m
I read alot of cozy mysteries, this book fit perfectly in that genre. However the great mysteries always hold a suprise ending, this one left a little bit to be desired. The killers just seemed implausible. however if you just want something to read as your falling asleep this is good, nothing trashy and enough of a side plot, i admit i laughed a bit, to be entertaining. It had something alot of cozy mysteries don't an entertaining side plot, which is important some stories just skip through the ...more
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
i liked this book more than I thought I would. The main character is interesting, I can't quite decide if I really like her or not. I found the mystery easily guessed, but was refreshed that the main character didn't fill the pages doing stupid things. The recipes throughout the book for different types of oils didn't interest me much, but the integration of them was creative. The author hints at psychic ability in the main character, but never actually calls is that, or really addresses it.

Ove
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Persia has moved back to a small island just off the Washington coast near Seattle. She lives with her aunt and helps run a small spa. She created custom scents for her clients.

Then a client is killed in the store and a coworker is framed and she must find out who did it and why.

She also has to deal with an ex-boyfriend that was in jail and managed to track her down when he got out. He isn't harmful, just an idiot. He will most likely be in the next book since he has moved to the island.

I enjoy
Agnes J
Aromatherapy and a nose for murder...
Glenda
Read a long time ago. I liked it.
Patrice
The mystery was good and I like Persia's character a lot along with many of the supporting characters. It fit together well and the recipes scattered throughout the book were an interesting touch. But the focus on beauty products in ingredients, recipes and description did were on me after a while. I'm not a especially girly. But there the fault is mine as the book makes it clear in cover and description that that's the premise. I knew that and read it anyway and enjoyed the story regardless.
Myhotstylist
Highly Enjoyable mystery that I finished in just one sitting! Persia works for her Auntie in a bath store where one of her clients is found murdered. Persia works to reveal the truth in order to clear her employee's name.

This is a fun cozy with a tight plot and very likeable characters. I liked the way the writer uses descriptive writing. The plot moved smoothly and and kept me guessing until the final reveal. Cannont wait to start on the next in the series!
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This was my first introduction to this series and I felt it was lacking in only a few places. I would have enjoyed the shop at the location being more fully involved. also, we do not truly get to know Persia.

The murder mystery was solved well, however, I did know from the beginning who did it. This is very unusual for me.

I look forward to reading the next book and seeing the growth.
Suzanne
Mar 30, 2010 Suzanne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mom, Emily
Recommended to Suzanne by: Cozy Mystery Group
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I'd go 3.5 stars if I could. This was a nice debut for a cozy series set in Gull Harbor, WA (outside Seattle). A feisty heroine, Persia Vanderbilt, helps her Aunt Florence run Venus Envy, a bath and body shop. I enjoyed the characters, loved the setting, thought it was a decent mystery, and will read the rest in the series; I believe there are only 2-3 more.
VJ
I've read other books in this series. It was rather deja vu like for awhile there until I realized why. It was nice to see the start of the series. I'll probably read more of these, but I won't necessarily seek them out. It was a run of the mill cozy. Some of the oil blends were interesting, but nothing I'm going to run out and buy all the stuff to make.
Susan
I found this to be very dull and never got interested in the characters. I didn't feel there was a plot; instead the author resorted to every few chapters having the protagonist muse aloud about possibilities. It's my feeling that if the author has to spell out what's going on that something is missing.
Stephanie Rinkel
This book was written in first person. In general I don't appreciate books written in first person. However by the time I was half way through the book began to grow on me. Thus I have rated it as okay because it redeemed itself.
Brenda
The first in a series and I'm on the fence. I don't know if I will read another or not. A mediocre mystery and characters I can't relate to left me uninspired. I really can't recommend this one. Maybe it improves with each installment?
Tammy
Alias for Yasmine Galenorn. Some of her earlier work, it was a fun and easy read but fairly tame. Although entertaining it wasn't the best mystery I've read by a long shot. It does have some great recipes for scented oils though!
Kate
Similar to but not as interesting as the Chintz n' China mysteries. Flat characters, laborious exposition, silly mystery. Not bad as a mindless read, but probably won't pick up the next one.
Gwen
Oct 26, 2008 Gwen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Yasmine Galenarn
Generally I find books written by this author to be a fun read. Unfortunately there are too many similarities to the Chintz n' China series to make it the best I've ever read.
Debbie
I really enjoyed this book and will be on the search for the second book in the series. Cozies are so much fun.
Julia

Jasmine gets me from page one, regardless of the name she's writing under!
Very engaging characters. I'm looking forward to the others in this series.
Melissa
Book #2 read in 2007

Fun cozy mystery, but a bit predictable. I will probably read the second in the series as well.

Sent to a bookcrosser
Angela
very very good first in series. only seems to be three books in the series. the only series I have found set in a bath and body shop.
Kerry Allen
Didn't realize this is a pseudonym for Yasmine Galenorn.

Her writing doesn't do it for me in this incarnation, either.

Alma Garza
What a great mystery. I love the way she writes , it seems like I am there. definitely want to read the rest of her books.
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • Wreath of Deception (Craft Corner, #1)
  • Ghost Of A Chance (A Chintz 'N China Mystery, #1)
  • Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1)
  • Pretty Poison (A Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #1)
  • The Quick and the Thread (An Embroidery Mystery, #1)
  • A Hoe Lot of Trouble (A Nina Quinn Mystery, #1)
  • Organize Your Corpses (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #1)
  • How to Host a Killer Party (Party Planning, #1)
  • Stuck on Murder (A Decoupage Mystery, #1)
  • Dire Threads (Threadville Mystery, #1)
  • Allergic to Death (A Gourmet De-Lite Mystery, #1)
  • Quickstep to Murder (A Ballroom Dance Mystery #1)
  • Murder in Miniature
  • Consigned to Death (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #1)
  • Killer Mousse (A Della Cooks Mystery #1)
  • Alpine for You (Passport to Peril, #1)
  • A Deadly Grind (A Vintage Kitchen Mystery, #1)
Glossed and Found (A Bath and Body Mystery, #3) A Blush With Death (A Bath and Body Mystery, #2)