Start by marking “Infant Baptism and the Covenant of Grace: An Appraisal of the Argument That as Infants Were Once Circumcised, So They Should Now Be Baptized” as Want to Read:

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A work of first-rate scholarship in which Paul Jewett writes the most persuasive case ever to demolish the best arguments posed in favor of infant baptism, showing this practice to be an unbiblical vestige of ecclesiastical tradition. Jewett demonstrates that only the only valid New Testament baptism is "believer's baptism". His criticisms of paedobaptist arguments from Au ...more
Published July 19th 1978 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Infant Baptism and the Covenant of Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infant Baptism and the Covenant of Grace

Pedro Issa
A very good read, but not splendid.

Jewett's enterprise focuses on the covenant-centered arguments in defense of infant baptism. His book is divided into three parts. The first one is a historical quest, the second, a theological approach, and the third one a multifaceted defense of believer baptism.

The first two parts comprise 85% of the book. That displays the nature of the book: it is not a vigorous exegetical/hermeneutical edifice pro credobaptism. It is actually a thorough critical expositi
Ryan
There is really a lot to chew on in this book. I've been reading and re-reading it off and on for a long time now, as my wife and I are trying to learn what the Bible says about baptism.

Jewett is a good writer. The material he is tackling is difficult and sometimes technical, but he makes his points clearly and fairly. He is a credobaptist and avoids inaccurate caricatures of paedobaptists, arguing his points with grace and humor. This book is a great example of winsome polemical writing.

This bo
Paul
A standard, and very good defense of credobaptism. Jewett evidences the level of logic and exegesis that I think characterizes much contemporary credobaptist scholarship. In many ways, I think it is Jewett's book that is responsible for the advances credobaptist scholarship has been making over paedobaptist scholarship. (Yes, credobaptists do have a solid history of good scholarship under their belt, so I'm not trying to take that away from them.) I ultimately disagree with Jewett's conclusion, ...more
Dan Glover
While I disagree with Jewett's overall conclusion and his over-arching presuppositions about baptism and its relationship to salvation, this is a well researched and carefully exegeted book and a model of scholarship. Jewett is consistent with his theology and this is a strong case for the credo-baptist position (along with George R. Beasley-Murray).
Matt Carpenter
This book is the best Baptist book on infant baptism that I've read. It presents a view of covenant theology and believer's baptism that answers many questions. That being said, it doesn't fully embrace God's covenant with His people and misses the mark in several instances. Nonetheless it is a good book that Reformed Baptists should be familiar with.
Bryce Lee
Jewett presents a remarkably exhaustive assessment of each and every argument for, and against, infant Baptism. Be it from logic, covenental history, scriptural evidence, or the early church, this book explores every facet of the issue and presents, in astounding logical clarity, an air tight case for believer's baptism.
Christopher
The greatest defense of believer's only baptism I've read. Though I disagree, I found much of what Jewett had to say very helpful as a critique of some of the bad arguments for infant baptism and it had a refining effect for me. Very good stuff.
Brittany Petruzzi
Not the most convincing argument for credo-baptism, but it's right up there with the best arguments for paedo-communion.
W. Littlejohn
Lordship term 2.

C'mon, I know there's more to be said for credo-baptism than this tripe.
Job Dalomba
This is the best book you can read arguing the credo baptist case from a covenantal view. Terrific.
Cray Allred
Fairest, most convincing defense of credobaptism I've read, by far.
Douglas Wilson
The best book I have read arguing the Baptist case. Outstanding.
Andre Rook
Best case for believer's baptism that I know of.
Lindsey Doolan
Really good book, pro-credo-baptism.
Calvin
Firm foundational truth.
George
George marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Felipe
Felipe is currently reading it
Mar 20, 2015
Brandon Zaffini
Brandon Zaffini marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Corey Hampton
Corey Hampton marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Corina Treece
Corina Treece marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Glória Hefzibá
Glória Hefzibá marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Micah Cobb
Micah Cobb marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Man as Male and Female: A Study in Sexual Relationships from a Theological Point of View The Ordination of Women: An Essay on the Office of Christian Ministry Who We Are: Our Dignity as Human: A Neo-Evangelical Theology Election And Predestination Perspectives on Christology: Essays in Honor of Paul K. Jewett