Start by marking “Infant Baptism and the Covenant of Grace: An Appraisal of the Argument That as Infants Were Once Circumcised, So They Should Now Be Baptized” as Want to Read:

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
A work of first-rate scholarship in which Paul Jewett writes the most persuasive case ever to demolish the best arguments posed in favor of infant baptism, showing this practice to be an unbiblical vestige of ecclesiastical tradition. Jewett demonstrates that only the only valid New Testament baptism is "believer's baptism". His criticisms of paedobaptist arguments from Au ...more
Published July 19th 1978 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Infant Baptism and the Covenant of Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infant Baptism and the Covenant of Grace

Pedro Issa
Mar 09, 2015 Pedro Issa rated it really liked it
A very good read, but not splendid.

Jewett's enterprise focuses on the covenant-centered arguments in defense of infant baptism. His book is divided into three parts. The first one is a historical quest, the second, a theological approach, and the third one a multifaceted defense of believer baptism.

The first two parts comprise 85% of the book. That displays the nature of the book: it is not a vigorous exegetical/hermeneutical edifice pro credobaptism. It is actually a thorough critical expositi
David Goetz
Dec 23, 2015 David Goetz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogmatics
I admit up front that I'm a baptist and therefore disposed to agree with Jewett. That said, this is a well-written book and, in my judgment, a cogent argument for believer baptism. Reformed theologian Keith Mathison says, "Of all the books defending believer's baptism and critiquing infant baptism, Paul Jewett's remains, without question, the best by far." Additionally, it's the first work of theology I've ever read that caused me to laugh out loud regularly (in a good way).

In the book's first p
Ryan
Jul 22, 2009 Ryan rated it really liked it
There is really a lot to chew on in this book. I've been reading and re-reading it off and on for a long time now, as my wife and I are trying to learn what the Bible says about baptism.

Jewett is a good writer. The material he is tackling is difficult and sometimes technical, but he makes his points clearly and fairly. He is a credobaptist and avoids inaccurate caricatures of paedobaptists, arguing his points with grace and humor. This book is a great example of winsome polemical writing.

This bo
Paul
Jan 13, 2008 Paul rated it really liked it
A standard, and very good defense of credobaptism. Jewett evidences the level of logic and exegesis that I think characterizes much contemporary credobaptist scholarship. In many ways, I think it is Jewett's book that is responsible for the advances credobaptist scholarship has been making over paedobaptist scholarship. (Yes, credobaptists do have a solid history of good scholarship under their belt, so I'm not trying to take that away from them.) I ultimately disagree with Jewett's conclusion, ...more
Jacob
Jan 09, 2016 Jacob rated it really liked it
A book everyone wrestling with baptism ought to reckon with. He interacts with several of the key players in the debate. The bibliography alone would be a great resource.
Shawn Trautman
Jan 30, 2016 Shawn Trautman rated it really liked it
Excellent critique of infant baptism from a credo/ covenantal perspective.
Dan Glover
Jan 12, 2010 Dan Glover rated it really liked it
While I disagree with Jewett's overall conclusion and his over-arching presuppositions about baptism and its relationship to salvation, this is a well researched and carefully exegeted book and a model of scholarship. Jewett is consistent with his theology and this is a strong case for the credo-baptist position (along with George R. Beasley-Murray).
Matt Carpenter
Oct 21, 2013 Matt Carpenter rated it liked it
This book is the best Baptist book on infant baptism that I've read. It presents a view of covenant theology and believer's baptism that answers many questions. That being said, it doesn't fully embrace God's covenant with His people and misses the mark in several instances. Nonetheless it is a good book that Reformed Baptists should be familiar with.
Bryce Lee
Aug 26, 2010 Bryce Lee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
Jewett presents a remarkably exhaustive assessment of each and every argument for, and against, infant Baptism. Be it from logic, covenental history, scriptural evidence, or the early church, this book explores every facet of the issue and presents, in astounding logical clarity, an air tight case for believer's baptism.
Christopher
Jun 06, 2011 Christopher rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
The greatest defense of believer's only baptism I've read. Though I disagree, I found much of what Jewett had to say very helpful as a critique of some of the bad arguments for infant baptism and it had a refining effect for me. Very good stuff.
Brittany Petruzzi
Jul 09, 2012 Brittany Petruzzi rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, theology
Not the most convincing argument for credo-baptism, but it's right up there with the best arguments for paedo-communion.
W. Littlejohn
Jan 05, 2010 W. Littlejohn rated it it was ok
Lordship term 2.

C'mon, I know there's more to be said for credo-baptism than this tripe.
Job Dalomba
Mar 10, 2013 Job Dalomba rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
This is the best book you can read arguing the credo baptist case from a covenantal view. Terrific.
Cray Allred
Jun 26, 2010 Cray Allred rated it it was amazing
Fairest, most convincing defense of credobaptism I've read, by far.
Douglas Wilson
Apr 16, 2009 Douglas Wilson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
The best book I have read arguing the Baptist case. Outstanding.
Andre Rook
Aug 14, 2012 Andre Rook rated it really liked it
Best case for believer's baptism that I know of.
Lindsey Doolan
Jul 23, 2009 Lindsey Doolan rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Really good book, pro-credo-baptism.
Calvin
Jul 31, 2013 Calvin rated it it was amazing
Firm foundational truth.
Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Eli Price
Eli Price marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Laurin
Laurin marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Danielch
Danielch marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Zach Wilke
Zach Wilke marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
George
George marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015