Start by marking “Infant Baptism and the Covenant of Grace: An Appraisal of the Argument That as Infants Were Once Circumcised, So They Should Now Be Baptized” as Want to Read:

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A work of first-rate scholarship in which Paul Jewett writes the most persuasive case ever to demolish the best arguments posed in favor of infant baptism, showing this practice to be an unbiblical vestige of ecclesiastical tradition. Jewett demonstrates that only the only valid New Testament baptism is "believer's baptism". His criticisms of paedobaptist arguments from Au...more
Published July 19th 1978 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Infant Baptism and the Covenant of Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infant Baptism and the Covenant of Grace

Ryan
There is really a lot to chew on in this book. I've been reading and re-reading it off and on for a long time now, as my wife and I are trying to learn what the Bible says about baptism.

Jewett is a good writer. The material he is tackling is difficult and sometimes technical, but he makes his points clearly and fairly. He is a credobaptist and avoids inaccurate caricatures of paedobaptists, arguing his points with grace and humor. This book is a great example of winsome polemical writing.

This bo...more
Paul
A standard, and very good defense of credobaptism. Jewett evidences the level of logic and exegesis that I think characterizes much contemporary credobaptist scholarship. In many ways, I think it is Jewett's book that is responsible for the advances credobaptist scholarship has been making over paedobaptist scholarship. (Yes, credobaptists do have a solid history of good scholarship under their belt, so I'm not trying to take that away from them.) I ultimately disagree with Jewett's conclusion,...more
Dan Glover
While I disagree with Jewett's overall conclusion and his over-arching presuppositions about baptism and its relationship to salvation, this is a well researched and carefully exegeted book and a model of scholarship. Jewett is consistent with his theology and this is a strong case for the credo-baptist position (along with George R. Beasley-Murray).
Matt Carpenter
This book is the best Baptist book on infant baptism that I've read. It presents a view of covenant theology and believer's baptism that answers many questions. That being said, it doesn't fully embrace God's covenant with His people and misses the mark in several instances. Nonetheless it is a good book that Reformed Baptists should be familiar with.
Bryce Lee
Jewett presents a remarkably exhaustive assessment of each and every argument for, and against, infant Baptism. Be it from logic, covenental history, scriptural evidence, or the early church, this book explores every facet of the issue and presents, in astounding logical clarity, an air tight case for believer's baptism.
Giancarlo Montemayor
Good academic book. Not an easy read. But it clarifies historically and Biblically the fallacies of Paedobaptism in Christendom.

There are a few parts were BASIC greek is necessary.

Paul Jewett writes this book from a credobaptist point of view. So, it is an antihesis.
Christopher
The greatest defense of believer's only baptism I've read. Though I disagree, I found much of what Jewett had to say very helpful as a critique of some of the bad arguments for infant baptism and it had a refining effect for me. Very good stuff.
Brittany Petruzzi
Not the most convincing argument for credo-baptism, but it's right up there with the best arguments for paedo-communion.
W. Littlejohn
Lordship term 2.

C'mon, I know there's more to be said for credo-baptism than this tripe.
Job Dalomba
This is the best book you can read arguing the credo baptist case from a covenantal view. Terrific.
Cray Allred
Fairest, most convincing defense of credobaptism I've read, by far.
Douglas Wilson
The best book I have read arguing the Baptist case. Outstanding.
Andre Rook
Best case for believer's baptism that I know of.
Lindsey Doolan
Really good book, pro-credo-baptism.
Calvin
Firm foundational truth.
Daniel Christie
Daniel Christie marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Kazoobooks
Kazoobooks marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Tom Hamming
Tom Hamming marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Karis
Karis marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Jamey
Jamey added it
May 07, 2014
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Dustin
Dustin marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Dexter
Dexter marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Jesse Nietzer
Jesse Nietzer marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Man as Male and Female: A Study in Sexual Relationships from a Theological Point of View The Ordination of Women: An Essay on the Office of Christian Ministry Election And Predestination Who We Are: Our Dignity as Human: A Neo-Evangelical Theology God, Creation, and Revelation: A Neo-Evangelical Theology