Start by marking “The Boyfriend League” as Want to Read:

$1 program
$1 hot dogs
$1 drinks
$1 popcorn

But how much to get the hot pitcher to notice you exist?
Published June 26th 2007 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Boyfriend League, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boyfriend League

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsTwilight by Stephenie MeyerCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareThe Truth About Forever by Sarah DessenJust Listen by Sarah Dessen
Young Adult Romance
193rd out of 2,559 books — 7,954 voters
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsPerfect Chemistry by Simone ElkelesThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenRules of Attraction by Simone ElkelesThe Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen
Entertaining Books For Teens! :)
41st out of 492 books — 958 voters

More lists with this book...

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
This was a super quick, super cute, and super fun read that is just perfect for this time of year when you want something light fun and that will put a smile on your face.
Maija
Jan 11, 2012 Maija rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: YA
Avon Bernabe
4.5 stars!

This is the kind of book that gets me into reading more and more and more. I can't seem to put it down. Stopping myself even just for a while to read this may be a kind of sin. Ahhhhhh.

I love the lead female, Dani. She's just so herself. Although she got swayed for a while, but still, she stayed true to herself. And that's what I liked about her. I can relate to her. And I love that she's a girl and a sports junkie at the same time. I am not really for those girls who are so obsessed w
Kathy
Danielle loves baseball and boys. This year she is determined to catch a boyfriend when the summer league comes to town. When she sees an ad in the local paper asking for host families for some of the team she talks her parents into letting a player stay with them, on condition that she not fall for that player. Unfortunately, Jason is not only the hottest guy on the team, he is also the only guy that Dani wants to date. What’s a girl to do?

This was a really cute, light read. I enjoyed Dani’s t
Em-em
Dani has always wanted a boyfriend, with the baseball season just starting and a whole baseball team coming into town she saw her chances. She talked her parents into offering their house as temporary resident to one of the players with the promise that she won't be falling in love with him. She plans on using the resident boy into introducing her to other baseball players. Problem with this promise was she never pictured that Jason would be very good-looking. She struggles to stop herself from ...more
Iuli
If you want a light, short, sweet, girly, short book this is perfect for the summer. It made me smile and laugh so much !

This book is about a girl named Dani that loves baseball but she loves boys even more..! The baseball team is coming in the town and needs homes for the players so she founds a great opportunity to get a boyfriend and so does her friend, Bird.

Dani feels like she is always in the shadow of her sister that is a beauty Queen....but not this time cause the HOT pitcher :)) has h
Angela
OMG!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!!!! YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY READ IT! :D
Kai (Amaterasu Reads)

A nice read.

I can't really say its the best, but it wasn't that bad.

At first, the idea of just doing this and that for boys made me think that the book would be really shallow and would just be about Dani trying to make a fool out of herself looking for a boyfriend, but its not really. I hanged on, reading and wanting to know what would happen between her and Jason.

I really want to shake her to death because she's really thinking about Mac. And I somehow feel bad for Bird because she ca
Serena F
"'I'll be okay alone in the backyard.' He stepped off the treadmill. 'I'm going to go shower.'
He waited a heartbeat, like he expected me to say I'd be happy to keep him company in the shower, too."

What a fun read! I loved Daniella and Jason's relationship. Jason was such a shy character, which made me love him even more. Daniella and her craze for chocolate cookie dough ice cream. which I adore as a matter of fact, and her attention to Jason's well being was especially adorable!

Overall, The Boy
Manisha
Dani loves baseball, and this year she's looking forward to snagging one of the boys from the summer league as her first boyfriend. When she notices an ad asking families to house players, she immediately comes up with a plan for her and her best friend Bird to board a player for the summer. Thus, she'll have a great "in" with the team -- and first chance at picking the best guy.

Dani and Bird are immediately caught up in the excitement of being surrounded by so many hot guys and Bird quickly fin
Kayla
Oct 13, 2010 Kayla added it
This book had a cute and heartwarming ending. And it was corny as hell. Seriously, if you didn't see that one coming, you really should remove your cultural blindfold. This stuff simply does not happen in real life. Parents do not agree to let hot (not to mention single) teenage boys stay across the (convienently isolated) hall from their single teenage daughter. And even if they did, what are the chances he's Mr. Right? I mean, the kids are barely past puberty. All Rachel Hawthorne novels are t ...more
Natshane
This is actually quite a funny book. I loved Dani's humour and what's interesting about this book is that the romance is not overly dramatic. Instead of the usual 'she's my life, he's my life' thing, this book presents itself properly, cute and adorable, that first attraction is well written. Though the plot could be easily guessed, still it's adorable. I remembered laughing at the jokes they've made, and the baseball scenes are prety adrenaline-junking, if you could imagine them just right. One ...more
Ivette
*suspiró* aish, que libro más romántico y divertido. Estos libros son mi placer culpable!!!
Me enamore de Jason, pero ¿quien no?
No es una gran trama, pero estamos hablando de un libro YA si que el chiste se cuenta solo.
Graylark
+ light read
+ Jason was a sweetheart
+ I liked Dani's relationship with her family. I also liked that her beauty queen sister wasn't a stereotypical bitch and was in fact decent.

- Dani came off as really silly to me. She was so desperate to have a boyfriend--pick a boy, any boy!--that she grabbed the first one who came along and clung to him despite liking someone else. Also, she kept giving the wrong signals and misleading answers to pretty obvious questions from Jason, thus discouraging him, th
Melissa (Reviews In A Pinch)
Do you remember those all-consuming feelings you had growing up, specifically in high school? When every guy or girl that you dated or had a crush on was probably the one? And one of THE most important things was to have a boyfriend or girlfriend? I’ll admit that I remember feeling that way sometimes, but never really gave into the feelings. I always told myself that the odds of meeting the one while I was in high school were pretty darn slim. I still think I was right.

Rachel Hawthorne perfectly
Abeer
This book is sooo cute
A perfect fluffy read when your looking for something to cheer you up!:)
Dani was a good character to read about and I'm glad she learned things and I wasn't that annoyed from her. It was good to read from her and in a way I guess it taught you things :)
Jason was the perfect boyfriend. Cute, nice and he actually had a lot in common with Dani and you could actually see the chemistry. He and Dani had fun doing things and they made a great couple!!
One word I'd use to describe
JeSiCa
sabia que este libro no hiba a encontrar una historia profunda o uno de esos libros que te dan enseñanzas o que lo leerias una y otra vez y permaneceria en tu mente por vario tiempo. no fue asi. no me maravillò. pero me gustò fue una lectura agradable para pasar el rato para desconectar pero solo eso. la protagonista dani me parecio graciosa en algunas ocasiones pero tonta en otras . sus actitudes me desesperaban . hablando del protagonista jason me gusto aunque no es mi protagonista de libros f ...more
Kacey
I liked this book and the plot was interesting. Dani loves baseball and she never had a real boyfriend unlike her popular and beautiful sister. She and her friend, Bird agree on finally getting a boyfriend. When she sees an ad asking for host families,she decides to get a player from the summer league to live in their house. The rule is that she can't date the guy she is living with so she goes for one of the other guys. But things go wrong when she starts to fall for the wrong guy. I really lik ...more
Chincagaoan
The Boyfriend league
A 4.5 star rate kind of book!!:) If you like to read books that have a light fluffy feeling with a romance and sport concept, it's definitely a book to read.

I read this book via recommendation of one of my friends and since i was into the teen-romance-thing goin' on, i figured ,why not?. And it didn't disappoint me at all. Rachel Hawthorne delivered the story with all the giddy feeling a teen can have.

A chance to get a boyfriend who's not only supposed to be cute but all-spor
Ivory
It took me months before I continue to read this book. And to think I love Rachel Hawthorne.
Somehow, the idea of giving a shelter for those baseball players just to get a chance of having a boyfriend does not appeal to me.

It was an OK book. With cute moments here and there.
Halyna
Charming, warm, innocent, endearing book! I had a lot of fun reading it, I absolutely loved ALL the characters!Every page of this book is saturated with passion for baseball and the style of writing is light and pleasant! A perfect book for relaxing and having a great time!
Mirela
A cute book that made me smile as I was reading it. I thougth that Dani and Jason had a connection since they first met. I think it was really cute and I could definately read it over and over again.
Nathalia Borghi
kenia ivashkov
Lo ame mucho, mucho, mucho, mucho. Lo ame por una única y sencilla razón: amo el béisbol tanto como Dani.
Kacie Bawiec
This is a really cute teen romance. It's very silly and a light, quick read. While I didn't take to main character Dani at first, I grew to enjoy her quirkiness. Jason I loved from the start. Their relationship was adorable and just tense enough to make it an exciting read.

The only thing I can say I didn't like about this book was lack of development in characters like Bird and Mac. Particularly Mac. You really don't learn much at all about his relationship with Dani, and I was curious to know a
Aida
Absolutely an amazing story! I loved every second of this book and, which surprised me even more, I loved EVERY character in the story as well! It's a feel-good book about friendship, family, romance, baseball, summer and icecream... I couldn't put the book down and I was smiling all the way through reading it. My first time reading a Rachel Hawthorne book, but certainly not my last, I've already ordered some of her others books. I need more of these sweet stories in my life. Love it and I'll de ...more
Mehsi
3.5 stars.

I have absolutely nothing with baseball, it is not a sport that is big here in my country, so at times I was just bored or wondering why everyone was so hyper-obsessed with it. It just seemed so silly and overdone. The only times I see people get hyper-obsessed with sports here is during the UEFA European Championship or World Cup for soccer/football. So yeah, I just can't imagine it.

But besides the baseball, it was a pretty good book. I really liked Danielle at times, but not always.
Alexa
(Review was originally posted on Alexa Loves Books)

I was hoping to find another interesting young adult chick lit book - and I was sort of disappointed with this one. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.

The premise was interesting enough - a group of baseball players are coming into town for games and they need host families. Our main character, Danielle, is interested in finding an ideal boyfriend and thinks that hosting a player will increase her odds at doing so.

However, I felt like the
Brittany
Dani loves baseball with a passion. Quite possibly the only thing she likes more is boys and this summer she has the opportunity to combine the two for a few months of extra excitement. When the Ragland Rattlers Collegiate Baseball team posts in the local paper that they need host families for the players, Dani and her best friend Bird start scheming. If they can convince their parents to be host families to some of the players, they'd have an "in" with the team and a way to meet lots of cute bo ...more
Kari Anderson
The best thing about summer vacation for Dani is collegiate baseball and the Ragland Rattlers. She’s gone to every practice and every game since the team first came to town and this year, she has a plan to date one of the baseball players. She and her best friend Bird both talk their parents into being host families and letting players stay with them. The only rule is you can’t date your host player. That may be harder than it sounds though when Dani’s player is the starting pitcher and the boy ...more
  • Icing on the Lake
  • Tropical Kiss
  • Lovestruck Summer
  • Drive Me Crazy
  • Major Crush
  • The Boyfriend Game (First Kisses, #5)
  • Sleepless
  • Ex-mas
  • Killer Cruise
  • Something Borrowed
  • Love Undercover (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Waking Up to Boys
aka Jade Parker and also writes with her son as J.A. London
(also writes romance under Lorraine Heath)

Rachel Hawthorne, who also writes as Lorraine Heath and Jade Parker, is the daughter of a British beauty (her mother won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor during which she received a kiss from Caesar Romero-who played the Joker on the old Batman TV series) and a Texan who wa
More about Rachel Hawthorne...
Moonlight (Dark Guardian, #1) Dark of the Moon (Dark Guardian, #3) Full Moon (Dark Guardian, #2) Shadow of the Moon (Dark Guardian, #4) Love on the Lifts

“I leaned my head back. "I look worse than I did the night you met me."
"I thought you looked fine."
I rolled my head to the side, so I could see him. Hoping the shadows made it so he couldn't see me. "What are you talking about? I looked like a Cirque du Soleil performer."
"What are you talking about?"
"The black dots around my eyes?"
He shook his head. "I'm lost."
"You were staring--"
"Oh, yeah." He gazed through the windshield. "Sorry about that. I've just never seen eyes as green as yours. I was trying to figure out if you wore contacts."
"You were looking at my eyes?"
"Yeah."
"Not the makeup?"
He turned his attention back to me. "I didn't realize you were wearing any. That night, anyway. Tonight it's pretty obvious."
"Oh." Didn't I feel silly? "I thought--" I shook my head. "Never mind." On second thought...
"You don't like all the makeup?"
"I just don't think you need it. I mean, you look pretty without it."
Oh, really? That was totally unexpected.”
7 likes
“I’m sorry. I know how much players have to focus, and I know not to be a distraction. I just got caught up in the moment, in the great game, in your terrific pitching.”

But I felt a need to explain more.

“Look, Jason, I love baseball. I love the crack of the bat hitting the ball. I love the seventh-inning stretch and singing ‘Take Me Out to the Ball Game.’ I love eating hot dogs and standing for the singing of the national anthem. I love doing the wave. I love Kiss Cam. I love that the game isn’t over until it’s over.

“I love the thrill of a home run and the disappointment of an out at first. I love the way a batter stands at the plate and the catcher readies himself to receive the pitch. I love watching the pitcher windup. I love sitting in the stands and feeling like I’m part of the game.

“And tonight, watching you pitch, I forgot that I’m only a small part—the spectator. Watching you, I felt like I was in the game, out on that field with you. You’re out there on the mound, living a dream that so few people ever experience.

“I’m sorry, sorry that tonight I ruined the moment for you.”

He was staring at me intently. I’d just bared my soul. Why didn’t he speak? What could he possibly be thinking?

My nerves stretched taut.

“Say something,” I demanded.

“There’s nothing else to say,” he said in that quiet way he had.

Then he lowered his head and kissed me.”
3 likes