Start by marking “If I Were a Jungle Animal” as Want to Read:
If I Were a Jungle Animal

If I Were a Jungle Animal

The team behind If I Had a Dragon bring us a bold, colorful look at Morton’s latest daydream—a safari! Morton is bored playing baseball all the way in the outfield. But if he were in the jungle, he could be a lion or a zebra or a hippopotamus! Yeah, if he were a jungle animal, then things would be exciting. But maybe too much excitement is too distracting! After all, a bal ...more
Published May 5th 2009 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about If I Were a Jungle Animal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If I Were a Jungle Animal

Rebecca
Aug 18, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: preschool and up
Jenn hooked me when she called this her new favorite picture book! And it is indeed a hoot, as a little boy (stranded in the outfield where no exciting plays happen) imagines being different jungle animals, until the unthinkable happens: the ball comes his way.

Right away I wondered if the illustrator was an animator, and he is! These pictures just burst with expressiveness, motion, and good composition. Let's have more animators doing picture books!
Becca Calvin
I have never heard of this book but I really liked it because the children can relate to wondering what it would be like to be a jungle animal. Or it is a good topic to talk about with your children. How they would feel to be a lion or a tiger or a monkey.
Jul 24, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This has to be my new favorite! Kids crack up at Morton's animal transformations and the chaos that ensues. And I love the billboard ads on the last illustration.
Heather
Mar 18, 2014 Heather rated it liked it
This wonderfully illustrated story tells of a boy who daydreams about the jungle while playing outfielder in his baseball game. He realizes both the joys and pitfalls of being each type of animal.
Kristin
Jan 05, 2017 Kristin rated it liked it
No impressed. Story would have been just as good, if not better, if the baseball part was completely omitted.
Layla & Rachel
Apr 23, 2013 Layla & Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
Tom and Amanda Ellery's If I Were a Jungle Animal is a great book. It reminded Rachel of Peter, Paul, and Mary's (what? Rachel's dad is a fan...) song "Right Field." The story starts out with a bored little boy out in the outfield during a baseball game. We think everyone can probably sympathize. Baseball is boring (shhh... don't tell Layla's dad we said that).

So the boy starts day dreaming, as you do. He imagines what it would be like to be a jungle animal, but everything goes wrong! As a lion,
Heidi-Marie
I really like the illustrations. I was looking for a Jungle/Safari book that would work in Toddler Time. I think this will work! I'm not sure if they will fully get the humor as Preschool would. But it will be fun to act out each animal in our pretending with him.

6/22/16 & 6/23/16 This was very good both days. Probably better the 2nd day because the crowd was a little smaller and more responsive to me and what I was asking them to do. (A lot of the kids on Thu. were familiar with me, too, so
Magpie67
Sep 12, 2013 Magpie67 rated it it was amazing
Another delightful story all about Imagination..... As a coach from my son's beginning age of 5... I have witnessed the small children who are out in left field or right just waiting for a ball to come their way. The mind will wander as does this little boy while playing a game of ball. Every animal he thinks to be turns out to have danger around him or no friends and his very last pick..... doesn't belong in a jungle. Suddenly he hears everyone telling him to wake up because a ball is coming hi ...more
Jess Brown
If I Were a Jungle Animal is a sweet little book about a little boy who daydreams about being a jungle animal--while he's supposed to be paying attention in the outfield during his baseball game. He imagines a scenario where he's a whole bunch of different animals (hippopotamus, giraffe, monkey) and finally a walrus--but wait! Walruses don't live in the jungle! Preschoolers will definitely enjoy this book and might even catch the fact that walruses don't live in the jungle.
Dolly
Feb 06, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
This story is about a young boy who is daydreaming out in right field during a ballgame (I've been there!) His imagination takes him to the jungle, which is fraught with danger at every corner. It's a fun book to read aloud and with a simple dialogue and big, colorful illustrations, it's good for beginning readers, too.
Laura Marie
Morton is a young boy who has trouble concentrating while playing baseball. I think children will enjoy the story, ask questions, and make animal noises while enjoying it! The best part, in my opinion, is the book also has the words printed in Spanish, towards the bottom of the page. Even better-it was my prize out of the Cheerios box!
Amanda
Very fun and cute imagination story. My son was just mentioning that he'd like to be a number of different animals yesterday when I said that ladies don't like to be called animal names so this was perfect.
Amy Brown
a boy plays baseball but has a hard time concentrating when he is playing in the outfield. He imagines himself in a jungle as each of the animals. The illustrations are very funny and make the story. Great book for jungle storytime.
Anthony Kline
Oct 20, 2013 Anthony Kline rated it liked it
I can relate to this book a lot becaus3 I use to play baseball and sometimes it is impossible to not day dream. Especially at the young age the boy is. It really made me think of what animal I would want to be if I could have the choice.
Ms Threlkeld
May 05, 2015 Ms Threlkeld rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lively illustrations help sustain this story about a boy who dreams of being different jungle animals. Could tie in nicely with a writing project where students identify the pros/cons of being a certain animal and then illustrate their thinking.
Allison
May 20, 2009 Allison rated it liked it
Morton is a little league baseball outfielder- Very Bored. So he imagines all the different places/creatures he would rather be. In the end he decides that he is fine where he is, and then he finally catches the ball.

Good for a jungle/zoo or sports storytime.
Shanaria
Apr 12, 2013 Shanaria rated it liked it
Shelves: monkeys, imagination
this book is about imagination. it also show the different animals you may see in the jungle and briefly tells what that animal may do all day.

have kids pick an animal from the jungle and tell a story about a day in the life as that animal.
Kim
Jul 31, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, picture, sports
Great stroytime book. Kid is stuck in outfield bored out of his mind and begins to wonder what it would be like to be different jungle animals.
Tricia
Dec 23, 2009 Tricia rated it really liked it
bored in the outfield, morton imagines he is different types of animals. children will love exercising their imaginations while enjoying this story.
Julia
A little boy gets bored during a baseball game and imagines himself as different animals in the jungle. Hilarious!
Linda Costello
Mar 12, 2010 Linda Costello rated it did not like it
Not a huge fan. We are taken with Morton as he imagines all of the jungle animals he would like to be.
Michelle
Oct 03, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
A cute book about a boy playing baseball who never gets the ball thrown to him and he starts to dream of being a jungle animal.Good illustrations and good story line.
Marie
Jun 02, 2009 Marie rated it liked it
Right field can be so boring. Now a jungle, THAT's exciting! What jungle animal should Morton be? Humorous.
Amanda_DJ n' Zac
Sep 07, 2012 Amanda_DJ n' Zac rated it really liked it
The boys read this before bed with Daddy. They all 3 laughed through the whole thing. They love books about animals!
Joel
Apr 09, 2013 Joel rated it did not like it
Boo! Zebras and giraffes are not jungle animals! I rate so few books on goodreads. Why did I choose to rate this one?
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Jun 19, 2009 Joella www.cinjoella.com rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, animals
This is about a kid who has an active imagination while waiting for something to happen in the outfield durring a baseball game.
Paula
Sep 04, 2011 Paula rated it really liked it
Great vibrant illustrations
While playing baseball, a boy wonders what it would be like to be different jungle animals.
Miss Sarah
Aug 15, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: movement, jungle, dreams
a baseball playing boy daydreams what his life would be like if he were a jungle animal. Each page is a different animal. Toddler and up. Would love to see the kids do the movements
Chelsea.leann
Chelsea.leann rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2012
Christie Angleton
Christie Angleton rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
  • My Cat, The Silliest Cat in the World
  • The Doghouse
  • Willoughby & The Lion
  • Moon Rabbit
  • Just How Long Can A Long String Be?!
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Mouse Was Mad