Start by marking “The American Sign Language Phrase Book” as Want to Read:
The American Sign Language Phrase Book

The American Sign Language Phrase Book

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Useful for those interested in understanding and utilizing American Sign Language (ASL), this phrase book serves as a reference tool and a study guide.
Published September 1st 1994 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The American Sign Language Phrase Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The American Sign Language Phrase Book

T.L. Cooper
I read The American Sign Language Phrase Book with DVD by Lou Fant and Barbara Bernstein Fant because it was the assigned book for my American Sign Language Class. The first part of the book gives the reader instructions on how to use the book as well as a guide to ASL. While it might be tempting to skip these two sections, they actually hold some good tips for learning the language. There were times when I had a little trouble discerning the movements in the book. I think this is probably inevi ...more
Kate
This is the first book I recommend to beginning signers. It starts right away teaching everyday conversation (including common vocabulary & in the proper syntax) so the brilliance of communication never diminishes. If you've said before, "Ooh I'd love to learn sign language someday..." then make your wish a reality and just BEGIN! Happy hand-talking!
P. Es
Oct 08, 2007 P. Es rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: deaf
FANTASTIC book on signing; extensive use of facial expressions which make for the 'rich text' that is proper ASL. without it, you're pretty much 'speaking' monotone and 'writing' without punctuation. problem is images are stick people.
Todd
My tepid response to this books comes from one thing: I did not like the illustrations. This book has the potential to be amazing, but in the next edition they need to redo the drawing with a collection that is more clear.
Mckenzie
i am trying to learn sign language, it is very hard but i cando the abc's numbers1-12 ask questions like what it your name and what do you like to do. This book is helping me learn a lot more
Adih Respati
I read when writing my undergrad thesis. Fant reveals that sign language isn't word-for-word version of any of its oral counterparts. Best damn ASL book I have ever laid my hands on.
Joy
My son is deaf. I learned ASL about 1971, when we adopted him. My first sign book..was Lou Fant. This is well organized, with a great DVD ..
Sylvain
I bought this book years ago when I was into sign language. Since then, I've stopped caring, but I still wanted to finish the book. I finally did.
Doug Stringham
One of the only signed language books to teach the "why" and not only the "what."
Lesley
extremely useful for picking up everyday phrases and syntax.
Cayce
good learining a lot of sign language
Annie Grace
Dec 02, 2013 Annie Grace marked it as to-read
interesting
Sporeprint
Sporeprint marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Sherry
Sherry marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Rosemary Kaleta
Rosemary Kaleta marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Conny
Conny added it
Jun 14, 2015
Leanna
Leanna marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Chaise
Chaise marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Jennifer Goins
Jennifer Goins marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Homegirl
Homegirl marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Korina Lopez
Korina Lopez is currently reading it
Apr 26, 2015
Anabelle
Anabelle marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
  • Everyone Here Spoke Sign Language: Hereditary Deafness on Martha's Vineyard
  • Train Go Sorry: Inside a Deaf World
  • Talking Hands: What Sign Language Reveals about the Mind
  • A Basic Course in American Sign Language
  • For Hearing People Only: Answers to the Most Commonly Asked Questions About the Deaf Community, Its Culture, and the "Deaf Reality"
  • 1001 Most Useful Spanish Words
  • What's That Pig Outdoors?: A Memoir of Deafness
  • Helen and Teacher: The Story of Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan Macy
  • Seeing Voices
  • Moses Goes to a Concert
  • You Matter More Than You Think: What A Woman Needs To Know About The Difference She Makes
  • Philosophy: A Beginner's Guide to the Ideas of 100 Great Thinkers
Perfect Phrases in American Sign Language for Beginners: 150 Essential Phrases for Communicating with Users of ASL Ameslan; An Introduction To American Sign Language American Sign Language third edition Sign Language Say It With Hands