Excerpts From A Family Medical Dictionary

Excerpts From A Family Medical Dictionary

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Excerpts from a Family Medical Dictionary is an intimate, exquisite, and true account of what it is to help a parent die. After her mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer, former home care worker and award-winning writer Rebecca Brown cared for her mother during the last six months of her life. This spare, unsentimental book comes out of that experience. In short chapte...more
Published (first published July 28th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Excerpts From A Family Medical Dictionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Excerpts From A Family Medical Dictionary

Suzanne
The entire essay moves toward the mother's death which occurs at the very end, rendered beautifully, with a sense of hope (quite unlike Rieff's memoir of Sontag's death) but without religiosity. Yet for me the essence of the book is stated early, on page 28, where Brown writes: "I don't remember when I stopped hoping my mother would remain alive. I go over and over this time in my head. I go over and over as if by thinking differently, as if by my remembering what was not I can remake or change...more
Shawn Keeney
During and after my reading of this book, my mind was completely blown. You might expect a book of this nature--Rebecca Brown recounting the story of her own mother's battle with cancer--to be thoroughly depressing or self-indulgent, but it is neither. EXCERPTS FROM A FAMILY MEDICAL DICTIONARY is a perfect example of sentiment over sentimentality. As Brown takes us through the various stages of her mother's illness, each section preceded by a medical term and its definition, the story that unfol...more
Colleen
got this book last year or so and browsed through it but was never hooked. picked it off the shelf though to read in the icu while sitting with my father who is in dire straights with a stroke at the moment, and found great comfort and solace with this book. really honest and straightforward without being too sentimental, it touched me in a brand new way after my former browsing. perfect time for me to read it. loved it.
Wennie Hong
I had Rebecca as guest writing professor during my undergrad. It wasn't until after I graduated that I finally picked up this book. I read it in one sitting and cried my eyes out. Immediately after, I called my mom to tell her I loved her. This is one of the most beautifully written books I have ever read. Her writing is simple, relatable, and honest.
Kevin
A beautifully measured account of the death of the author's mother from cancer, this book tells its painful story in a no-nonsense straight-ahead fashion that makes the sadness feel more present. It's a book that makes you want to be a better person to your loved ones. Or at least a person who lives life and faces death with beauty and empathy and grace.
corinne
this book is so beautiful and stark. her writing is heartbreaking and perfect for the barren lands of grief and loss. it is a detailed portrait of accompanying a loved one through hospice care.
Nita
An unusual and intriguing structure - arranged by topic rather than chronology but still having a narrative arc. Compelling and vividly honest.
Rachael
Personal and universal at the same time. Described as 'self-help' on the back which seems an accurate response to have.
Seven
a sad lovely happy book about a daughter (her siblings) and a journey with a mother dying from/living with cancer.
S Katherine
Oct 02, 2007 S Katherine marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This looks fab by such an amazingly talented writer, I can't wait to read it....wish list, wish list, wish list.
Frances Dinger
If you love your mother and haven't seen her for awhile, this book might make you cry openly in public.
Ann
No one writes about death and grief and family as unflinchingly as Rebecca Brown does in this book.
Elizabeth Frankie Rollins
For preparation for death, yours or anyones, you should read this.
Keisha
difficult, but necc.
Bethany Grasso
Bethany Grasso marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Zhexi Pan
Zhexi Pan marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Roro
Roro marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Irene Ofori
Irene Ofori marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Lil
Lil marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Bev Rockow
Bev Rockow marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Val
Val marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Abbey
Abbey marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Rebecca Brown’s diverse oeuvre contains collections of essays and short stories, a fictionalized autobiography, a modern bestiary, a memoir in the guise of a medical dictionary, a libretto for a dance opera, a play, and various kinds of fantasy.
More about Rebecca Brown...
The Gifts of the Body The Terrible Girls Annie Oakley's Girl The Dogs: A Modern Bestiary The End of Youth