Start by marking “The Kidnapped Prince: The Life of Olaudah Equiano” as Want to Read:
The Kidnapped Prince: The Life of Olaudah Equiano

The Kidnapped Prince: The Life of Olaudah Equiano

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  248 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Illus. with black-and-white archival engravings with an introduction by Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
Hardcover, 1995, 136 pages
Published December 27th 1995 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 1789)

To ask other readers questions about The Kidnapped Prince, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kidnapped Prince

Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
Little Black Classics, bite-size stories which are adorably tiny and beautiful and look wonderful on my shelf and are only 2 each...

Oh dear.

(R.I.P. My paycheck.)
Gillian
Nov 27, 2010 Gillian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want to hear about what it was like being a slave
This book was sooooo sad! It was written by the man who the biography is about. It is a factual life story of Oloudah, an african prince who was kidnapped by slave traders. It is about the agony and distress, and the success he went through as he grew up, and how he finally got what he wanted most: his freedom. I liked this book a lot, actually, a lot more than I thought I would.
Marni
Our homeschooling has helped me discover quite a few books that make me wish I had been directed more in my reading when I was growing up. I think the general feeling at school through junior high was that as long as we were reading, it was good. But more and more I definitely feel like I wasted a lot of good reading years.

"The Kidnapped Prince" is one of those books. It is a lower reading level, so while the story of Olaudah Equiano's life as a slave is there, it isn't terribly gory or disturbi
Erin R
May 08, 2014 Erin R rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
Originally written in 1789 as an autobiography and then adapted for children by Ann Cameron, this book describes the true story of Olaudah Equiano. Equiano was captured in Africa and taken into slavery. He lived as a slave in England, the United States, and the West Indies before he was able to purchase his own freedom. This is a great book for students to explore the origins of the slaves that came to America. Students will gain insight into how and why slaves were captured in Africa and what t ...more
Amira
Feb 22, 2016 Amira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this book was so touching and so thoughtful, and it definitely made me realize how thankful I was to live in a country where most of us are so well off. Olaudah Equiano was captured from a village that was hard-working, honest, and fair to one another, and was sent off to different parts of the world to work for people that aren't really honest, hard-working, and fair. The story shows all of his struggles, and even in the worst times, he still found a way to make it better. He is ...more
Kris Brown
The Kidnapped Prince: The Life of Olaudah Equiano was written by Olaudah Equiano and adapted by Ann Cameron. Henry Louis Gates, Jr wrote the introduction. This autobiography is intended to be read by the intermediate and advanced age groups. There were no awards issued to the author. I rated this book as a five.

The Kidnapped Prince: The Life of Olaudah Equiano is about an African boy, who was kidnapped and sold into slavery. Olaudah Equiano was in slavery from the ages 11 years to 21 years old
Kathy
Oct 12, 2013 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although this book is adapted by another person I thought it was well written by Ann Cameron

and well worth my time to read. My favorite part of this book is when Olaudah Equiano meets his

sister again after being sold, but it was a short meeting because after Olaudah and his sister sleep

together she is sadly sold again and he never saw his sister again. Because this book was based on a

true story and told in first person, I was very happy to feel like these characters were very real. My

favor
Scott Hayden
Stolen from his family, sold as a slave and traded within Africa, eventually endured (but wanted to die on) a tightly-packed slave ship, Olaudah Equiano worked hard, suffered betrayal, rebounded, gained an education, practiced business, and eventually bought his freedom. This version of his autobiography is suitable for upper elementary children.

Though this edition doesn't say it, Olaudah eventually worked alongside William Wilberforce in the British abolition movement.

Should I tackle Olaudah's
The other John
As I'm homeschooling my girls, I sometimes come across a book or lesson that makes me think that my own education has been lacking. That happened again as I read this book. The Kidnapped Prince is the autobiography of Olaudah Equiano, an African slave in the late 18th Century who won his freedom, got an education and published his story. (Take that, all you bozos who said that Africans were inferior to whites!) Why wasn't this book required reading back when I was in school? Well, one reason is ...more
Sue
Sep 08, 2013 Sue rated it it was ok
Equiano admits that in his village of origin his father had slaves, and even the slaves had slaves. Women were property. Some kind of karmic circle? for him to become a slave himself. Like Ashley Wilkes declared in Gone With the Wind, "Oh, but we didn't treat them that way . . ." to justify why his variety of landowner/slaveholder wasn't that bad.

He uses the term embrenche to describe his father’s occupation: a combined senator, prince, judge—all in one. I did not appreciate that it appears n
Martha
Feb 21, 2015 Martha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot from this first person account. Some have questioned its accuracy, but I learned a lot from his point of view and am glad he made the effort to share his story and work towards the end of the slave trade in his era.
Laura Verret
So, have any of you watched Amazing Grace starring Ioan Gruffudd and Romola Garai? If so, you may remember the black man who urged Wilberforce to engage in the fight against slavery, and who later wrote an autobiography of his life. The Kidnapped Prince is a condensed version of that autobiography. : O

Conclusion. An excellent read that will give your children a better understanding of the moral/political turmoil of the 18th century.

Visit The Blithering Bookster to read my full review!

Diandre
Mar 24, 2015 Diandre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
awsome
Isaiah
Pretty easy read. I didn't love it, but it was an interesting story and it was fun to read.
Colleen
really like olaudah's story would love to read his autobiography but probably would not have the patients. this outline is what i hope a perfect wrap up of olaudahs whole story. it was quick to read and you can tell olaudah wrote of his true experiences not trying to make them seem worse than they were. cant believe how he originally got kidnapped and how he spent so much time as a slave in his own country.
Karen
Nov 01, 2012 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an autobiography of the evils of slavery. It was a little confusing at times and disjointed, but an eye opener as to how Africans were taken from their villages and made into slaves.
Jan 12, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
This book is adapted from the original writing. But it was very easy to follow. At times, it was hard to read and believe it was real. I have no doubt it was, it was just so unimaginable.
Elyssa
Dec 01, 2009 Elyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-school
This one is really good, but it is hard to read. I can't believe the things that happened to this kid, and all slaves. It really shines a light on how horrid we can be.
Jbondandrews
Mar 03, 2011 Jbondandrews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ann Cameron did a marvellous job adapting Olaudah Equiano's book. I very much look forward to reading his own book.
Dawn Roberts
Incredibly dramatic and moving story. This is a children's adaptation. Looking forward to reading the original.
Stephanie
There were nearly no commas after introductory clauses. Boring. I was being KIND by giving it 2stars
Stefan Ilic
I learned that blacks are no different from whites and that slavery was a very mean thing to do.
Kenyan
Mar 14, 2011 Kenyan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A quick and easy read. The story moves along well, and is enjoyable.
Aydarbek
Aydarbek rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Heather Boyle
Heather Boyle rated it it was ok
Apr 28, 2016
Ilaf
Ilaf marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Dyan
Dyan added it
Max Raeymaekers
Max Raeymaekers marked it as to-read
Guillaume Vanhulle
Guillaume Vanhulle marked it as to-read
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
  • The Broken Blade (Pierre La Page #1)
  • The Arrow Over the Door
  • Madeleine Takes Command
  • A Murder for Her Majesty
  • Master Cornhill
  • Only the Names Remain: The Cherokees and The Trail of Tears
  • It's a Jungle Out There (The Rani Adventures, #1)
  • Daughter of the Mountains
  • Daring to Live on the Edge: The Adventure of Faith and Finances
Also known as Gustavus Vassa, Olaudah Equiano was one of the most prominent Africans involved in the British movement of the abolition for the slave trade. Although enslaved as a young man, he purchased his freedom and worked as an author, merchant, and explorer in South America, the Caribbean, the Arctic, the American colonies, and the United Kingdom.
More about Olaudah Equiano...