Start by marking “Wyrms” as Want to Read:
Wyrms

Wyrms

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  4,140 ratings  ·  182 reviews
The sphere is alien in origin, but has been controlled by man for millennia. A legend as old as the stars rules this constructed world; When the seventh seventh seventh human Heptarch is crowned, he will be the Kristos and will bring eternal salvation . . . or the destruction of the cosmos.

Patience is the only daughter of the rightful Heptarch, but she, like her father bef...more
Published April 5th 2003 by Orb Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Wyrms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wyrms

L.M. Ironside
I just finished my third or fourth re-read of this book, and it occurred to me that I still haven't reviewed it. What a crime! Because this is one of the finest novels in the sci-fi genre, and one of the best books I've read of any genre.

Orson Scott Card's writings from early in his career -- say, everything from Ender's Shadow and earlier -- are really amazing works. Whatever you may feel about him as a person, given his (in my opinion) odious political views, it's hard to deny that early on, h...more
Abby
Jul 27, 2008 Abby rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who won't feel complete till they read everything Card's written, despite all warnings
Almost grand in its awfulness, Card reaches new depths of misery in what must be his worst book ever. With the exception of Lovelock, I have never felt as agonizingly awkward while reading a book. The OSC intelligence and glimpses of insight are not nearly enough to redeem the misery of this plot. My primary emotion is relief that it's finally over.
Rebecca
I really found this book quite compelling. It addressed a lot of interesting philosophical questions as well as religious ideas: the nature of the self, the nature of the will. It was also a very interesting study in human behavior from a diplomatic or political point of view. The on-going analysis of who is lying and who is telling the truth and why, as well as how people choose to display loyalty of betrayal, was fascinating to me.

Card also creates a plausible other-world theory of how an ali...more
Ileana Andreea
am ascultat multe la clubul de lectura "nemira" despre aceasta carte. despre obsesia lui card pentru copiii superdotati, despre cum totul se afla la indemana eroinei principale. am citit-o din scoarta-n scoarta si parerea mea este ca dincolo de SF-ul din ea se afla lectii de viata. S-o luam cu inceputul:
capitanul navei a coborat pe Imakulata cu oamenii sai, a gasit wyrmi (fiinte considerate inferioare), dar care, simtindu-si sfarsitul aproape au reactionat pentru conservarea speciei. Aceasta con...more
Chris Hawks

Yesterday (8/15/06) I finished reading Wyrms by Orson Scott Card, for the second time.

It has the distinction of being the first Card book I'd read outside the "Ender" series. It was a bit of a departure from those books -- even the "heavier" of the Ender books like Xenocide -- and I decided that it was pretty good, but it really didn't do anything for me.

Fast forward a few years, and now I own almost all of Card's books, and have read most of those, and my...more
Jona Cannon
Patience is the rightful Heptarch (ruler) of Imakulata. She is the seventh of the seventh of the seventh of rulers, and has been prophesied that she will either destroy or save all of mankind. Now at 15 years old she feels the cranning call. The irresistable urge to go to skyfoot, and meet her destiny. Even she doesn't know if she will be the messiah, or the anti-Christ of their world?

Card is a fantastic story teller, and this book is no exception from his ability to do just that. I was unimpres...more
Despina
Lacy Phillips
Intense and unrelenting sexual desire for someone you find completely repulsive as a means of physical and mental torture? Imagine having the hots for Dick Cheney and you'll have an instant sympathy for the main character of this sci fi classic.

I have the first edition with the original dust jacket art featuring a well-endowed alien being looming over a damsel in distress. It's second only to Hot Sleep (which later became the Worthing Chronicles) as the most hilarious cover art in the Card bibl...more
Althea Ann
So far, this gets my 'best book of the year' award. I was thinking that I would have to say I liked it even better than 'Ender's Game,' but I didn't think the ending was handled with quite as much power and finesse. And - like most of Card's books, although I LOVE the writing, I disagree with his conclusions.

Young Patience has grown up on the planet of Imakulata as a slave in the Heptarch's household, the daughter of the ruler's prime assassin, and trained herself in the deadly arts. However, wi...more
Kriss
Generally, I liked this book. Specifically, I loved the idea of the headjars and headworms...very interesting sci-fi concept there. Card always has a nice and simple way of writing that just flows, that feels like someone is talking to you. So Wyrms was a breeze to get through. This book seems to have that fairytale element to it - what with characters that have names like Patience and Wreck and Ruin, the Wyrms and their enemy UnWyrm - which isn't a bad thing in my eyes, though I can see how it...more
August Niehaus
When I first wrote fantasy novels, I thought I had all the steps figured out: create an epic cast of characters, give them meaningful names and crucial roles, put them into a mysterious world with a few rules similar to ours but lots different, and send them on an epic quest. Then the entire story would be dedicated to building up those characters and the world...and except for hammering home a driving "plot point," I would completely forget about plot.

I think that's what Card did here.

Don't get...more
Libbie
This is one of the under-appreciated gems of the sci-fi genre. One of Card's earlier works, this reflects his darker style that was prevalent during the time period before the Ender books. Think Hart's Hope and Songmaster...ooh, dark and disturbing in spades. Good times.

The characters are gorgeously formed and full of life. The world of Imakulata is brilliant. The various races that inhabit it are unique and fresh. And it is laced through with Card's lyrical darkness, making for a read that impa...more
Lisa
Joshua Whiting
I listened to the audiobook, and I admit I didn't finish it. Let's just say the climax of the story got a little too erotic for my liking. There were plenty of hints that it was going in that direction, but I guess I assumed since Card is an LDS author, it wouldn't turn out the way it seemed it might( maybe I'm just not familiar enough with Card's fiction). While it wasn't explicit, it still made me uncomfortable enough near the end to stop reading, which is a real shame because other than those...more
Julius Butcher
Warning: spoilers ahead!

I just finished Orson Scott Card's Wyrms and I don't know what to say. This book pulled my mind apart. I liked and hated it the same time.

It was full of awesome ideas. I loved that. The heads in the jars preserved by alien lifeforms... awesome. The genetic basis of the story and the interaction of different species are compelling. Here is a book which is not about aliens attacking humans or humans attacking aliens. The alien life-form chose to mix with the human genes in...more
I got caught up in this quite quickly as it has decent pacing and some really interesting characters, but it isn't without its issues.

There were ideas introduced that seemed to go nowhere (I'm thinking particularly of the vigilants), the character names were all rather obvious (a pet peeve) and the ending was too abrupt for my liking.

It suggests to me that Card doesn't have much interest in the aftermath. That the story ends with the success or failure of the protagonist and repercussions are q...more
Synesthesia
I haven't read this in a while but, he can't write a normal heterosexual sex scene (not saying that only heterosexual sex is normal here) but he can write a scene with an amorphous blob and an underaged girl? What the hell is up with that?!
Mae
I Know everyone loves Ender's Game and I love it to, but this was the first OSC book that I ever read and I still love it.
Ashley
What an odd little book.
Grexios
Douglas Cootey
I can't recommend this extremely aggressive adaptation of Orson Scott Card's Wyrms. The art was competent, and the script was as well, but the adaptation was hampered by the limitations of the format. Six 22 page issues was simply not enough to convey the breadth of this story's scope. By the last three chapters, events were strung together almost like non-sequiturs, so compressed had the narrative been forced.

The shame of this adaptation is that the script and art lay the groundwork for an epi...more
Claudiu
I and Orson Scott Card have a strange relationship, mainly on my side of the barricade – seeing as he probably can't give a toss about a random literature nut on some forum or another -. Mainly, I hate Orson Scott Card. Not because his work is bad – and boy, can it ever be BAD -, or because of his dubious agendas or even because he's gotten a name for himself by basically regurgitating the same thing over and over…nooo, dear reader, I hate Orson Scott Card for all the chances he's wasting in his...more
Josh Meares
Interesting book. It's not OSC's best writing, but it may be the book in which his own thinking is the clearest.

From his tone, she knew not to ask directly what the question or the answer might have been. Instead, she asked her own questions, “What did you learn, as a slave?”

“That no man can ever be a slave to another man.”

“That is a lie”

“Then I learned a lie.”

“But you believe it.”

Will nodded.

“There are people who do things for fear of the lash. There are people who do things for fear they will...more
Jacob
I couldn't find the Marvel Comics adaptation of this series in the database, but that's the version I read. I've been familiar with the author in name and occupation as far back as high school in the early to mid 90s, but up until I read OSC's Ultimate Iron Man volume 1 and 2 I hadn't read anything of his that I'm aware of.

Wyrms follows the typical fantasy formula of a coming of age hero going on a journey he/she was initially against, but later takes on the burden of their destiny. Overall I w...more
Mara
This was the very first sci-fi book that I read. I have to say this one reads more like a romance. And I was convinced the author was a raging Catholic because of the emphasis of procreation as the purpose of marriage. But according to wiki, turns out he is LDS. Close enough. I knew it. Anyway, I did find the abilities of various characters/beings interesting. And the book kept my interest. But, yeah, this was too much of a romance for my taste. I suppose it was a study of lust. But I think the...more
Andrew Mendoza
This was my first Orson Scott Card book outside of the Enderverse, so I wasn't sure exactly what to expect going into it. Ultimately, I ended up with an interesting read that, although not up to the excellence of most of the Enderverse books, was still engaging enough to keep my interest and get me reflecting on some familiar themes.

For those that have read the sequels to Ender's Game, most of the themes in this book will be familiar territory. This especially makes sense when you realize that...more
Madeline
Jan 31, 2008 Madeline rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mature YAs
Recommended to Madeline by: Dad
Shelves: 2008
Charlotte
Not the best sci-fi I've read. Humans came to live on a planet thousands of years ago and now Patience is the 7th times 7th daughter of the first space captain and her destiny is to save the world from the dreaded unwyrm. Or is it to destroy the world? In this alien planet with other strange sentient beings it is hard to tell what the true origins of anything is. The civilizations, the prophecies, anything.

Maybe it is because I listened to this book on audiotape, but I found the explanations of...more
Zarakoda
Phil
Another fantastic read by Mr. Orson Scott Card.

Wyrms is a genre-bending mix of sci-fi and fantasy. In a way, it almost foreshadows his later Pathfinder series (also excellent).

The places and creatures are unique. Also, the creatures are introduced by name only, and then only several chapters later are they explained, which leaves the reader waiting for more explanation, knowing it must come at some time.

And the characters are deep. Even the creatures have some overbearing or underdeveloped hum...more
Goodreads Librari...: Splitting a graphic novel from the source novel 3 35 Jun 10, 2012 12:27PM
  • Buying Time
  • Orson Scott Card's InterGalactic Medicine Show
  • Nightflyers
  • Robota
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Second Annual Collection
  • Lost Dorsai (Childe Cycle, #6)
  • The Exile Waiting
  • Heart of the Comet
  • Courtship Rite
  • Glory Season
  • Diadem from the Stars (Diadem, #1)
  • The Jewels of Aptor
  • The Winds of Change and Other Stories
  • After Long Silence
  • High Justice
  • The Jaguar Hunter
  • Carnival
  • The Eye of the Heron
Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.
Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series Th...more
More about Orson Scott Card...
Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet, #1) Speaker for the Dead (The Ender Quintet, #2) Ender's Shadow (Ender's Shadow, #1) Xenocide (The Ender Quintet, #3) Children of the Mind (The Ender Quintet, #4)

“If human beings are all monsters, why should I sacrifice anything for them?"
"Because they are beautiful monsters..., And when they live in a network of peace and hope, when they trust the world and their deepest hungers are fulfilled, then within that system, that delicate web, there is joy. That is what we live for, to bind the monsters together, to murder their fear and give birth to their beauty.”
8 likes
“Paciencia: Hay gente que hace cosas por miedo al látigo. Hay gente que hace cosas por temor a perder sus familias o sus vidas. Hay gente a la cual es posible comprar y vender. ¿Acaso no son esclavos?
- Voluntad: Son esclavos de sus pasiones. Su miedo les gobierna. ¿Qué poder tienes sobre mi si tu látigo no me da miedo? ¿Soy tu esclavo si no temo perder a mi familia? Te obedezco de forma completa y fiel porque así lo he escogido: ¿soy tu esclavo? Y cuando llegas a odiarme porque soy libre y mi libertad es mayor que la tuya, y me ordenas hacer lo que no pienso hacer, entonces me alzo ante ti y no obedezco. Castígame entonces; he escogido ser castigado. Y si el castigo es superior a lo que estoy dispuesto a consentir, entonces usaré cuanta fuerza sea necesaria para hacer que pares de castigarme, y no más. Pero nunca, ni por un instante, he hecho nada que no haya escogido hacer voluntariamente.”
2 likes