Start by marking “Swear to God The Promise and Power of the Sacraments” as Want to Read:
Swear to God The Promise and Power of the Sacraments

Swear to God The Promise and Power of the Sacraments

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  290 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The most solemn, majestic, and beautiful gifts that Jesus Christ gave to the world are His sacraments. He endowed them with unprecedented and unparalleled power—power to change lives, save souls, and share God’s very life. The sacraments are the ordinary means by which God directs the course of each human life and all of world history.

The Church celebrates seven sacraments...more
Published May 18th 2004 by Image (first published January 28th 2004)

Be the first to ask a question about Swear to God The Promise and Power of the Sacraments

Mary-Elizabeth
Hahn's clear, concise writing is great. He aims the book at a lay audience, although some basic knowledge about the Catholic sacraments would probably help the reader a fair bit.

Description:
Hahn is superb at presenting theology and Catholic doctrine in terms that not only are understandable, but also appeal to the layperson. In this book on the sacraments, he explains the power of the sacraments, their covenantal nature and what that means, the blessings and curses that are always a part of cove...more
Ally
This book was not what I was expecting - I bought it because I wanted to explore the meaning behind the sacraments, particularly the sacrament of reconcilliation. However, what I got was an explanation of the Oaths we pledge with God. The writing was, as always, very engaging and my star rating reflects my own disappointment at the subject matter rather than Hahn's writing.
Stuart
Swear to God was one of the first books I read as a Catholic. I audiobooked it in fact from Audible. At the time, I didn't grasp the book fully, but I did appreciate it. I have since decided to re-read it, a decade later and see how much more it speaks to me today.

The book begins with Dr. Hahn recounting his first encounter with sacraments in Protestant seminary. In a nutshell, they bored him. He was more interested in the Bible and preaching. Frankly, I could relate with him. To a Protestant, s...more
Kristy
I'll share a few of my favorite lines from this book. I generally like all of Scott Hahn's books. I like his style of writing. And this book is right up there with the rest of them. If you enjoy my review below, then pick up the book and read it!

In the age of grace, we see the kingdom of heaven and its mysteries more clearly, but still imperfectly. It is only when we pass from the age of grace into the eternal age of glory that we'll see divine things as they really are, in heaven, without their...more
Elizabeth
Oct 24, 2010 Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kristy
4.5 Stars. I'm withholding half of a star for style issues. Otherwise this book is pretty awesome. The author was recommended to me at a young adult retreat.

This book gives a historical view of oaths, covenants, swearing and sacraments, from the ancient civilizations of the near east to our present day legal system. I have a whole new perspective on taking the Lord's name in vain now.

I'm not sure if the book presumes a certain amount of prior knowledge. i don't remember it being overly explanato...more
Andy
As a Catholic, the sacraments are something that can be overlooked as commonplace. This book really changes the way I look at the seven sacraments. Instead of receiving a sacrament, it might be more accurate to say the one "enters into a sacrament". The scriptural basis is solid as usual. Dr. Hahn does a great job of explaining the history and importance of solemn oaths, and he ties them well into the Church's teaching on the sacraments. I especially like the connection he makes with the Euchari...more
I like that I learn and understand more aspects about my faith each time I read a book by Scott Hahn. As in his other books, this one takes a lot of concentration and contemplation. I'll need to read it again at some point, and I'm sure I will gain more each time I go through it. (Maybe every lenten season?) I'll call it a complex, but very worthwhile book about the sacraments.
Chad Judice
Listened to this audio - book on a vacation this summer. It was a great breakdown of the sacraments and explained how covenant was not an agreement as much as it was an oath. Ancient scripture was written in Hebrew and Aramaic and then translated to Greek and Latin into English. The Latin word for oath is sacramentum - AKA - Sacraments.
Rachel
A good read to get you back into spiritual reading. It's not too heavy and easy to understand. Good for starting out with understanding basics of the Sacraments. Goes over importance of oaths and covenants in all aspects of life.
Angela Hardy
My father recommended this book to me...it is a great book that discusses the connection of the Catholic church to the sacraments, and what that connection means.
Brenda {Write From Your Heart ♥}
This confirms it. Scott Hahn is one of my most favorite authors. I wanna meet him!! Maybe he can give me info on how to become a Catholic theologian! ;D
Patrick
Hahn is too fond of puns in his chapter headings, but otherwise this is a beautiful, interesting defense of sacrament and liturgy.
Carmen
Bueno para profundizar los sacramentos, desde el antiguo testamento.
Edie
Mr. Hahn starts off getting and holding my interest, but he generally loses me a few chapters from the end. I am not sure why, but I suspect his repetitious writing style is the cause and my habit of reading before I fall asleep is the effect. I do love his short chapters.
Stephen
An interesting topic with lots of good information, but I just couldn't get into it and wasn't able to finish it. Not sure why...just couldn't. I think it's worth trying again...just not right now.
Amanda
Apr 12, 2014 Amanda added it
Brilliant, as is any Hahn book. I was very excited at the beginning, some of the middle felt redundant, but the end was very thoughtful.
Sr Maria
Sr Maria marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Beth Allison
Beth Allison marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Andrew Medina
Andrew Medina marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
A.
A. added it
Sep 19, 2014
Doreen Petersen
Doreen Petersen marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Judith
Judith marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Richard Owens
Richard Owens is currently reading it
Sep 03, 2014
Andrea Nicole
Andrea Nicole is currently reading it
Aug 31, 2014
  • Jesus of Nazareth, Part Two: Holy Week: From the Entrance into Jerusalem to the Resurrection
  • Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the Faith
  • Good News About Sex & Marriage: Answers to Your Honest Questions about Catholic Teaching
  • The Mass: The Glory, the Mystery, the Tradition
  • Theology and Sanity
  • Catholic Christianity: A Complete Catechism of Catholic Beliefs Based on the Catechism of the Catholic Church
  • Surprised by Truth
  • Catholicism and Fundamentalism
  • Rediscovering Catholicism Journeying Toward Our Spiritual North Star
  • Letters to a Young Catholic
  • Why Do Catholics Do That?
  • Render Unto Caesar: Serving the Nation by Living our Catholic Beliefs in Political Life
  • Love and Responsibility
  • Mother Angelica: The Remarkable Story of a Nun, Her Nerve, and a Network of Miracles
  • Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic
  • Life of Christ
  • Compendium: Catechism of the Catholic Church
Dr. Scott Hahn was born in 1957, and has been married to Kimberly since 1979. He and Kimberly have six children and are expecting their fifth grandchild. An exceptionally popular speaker and teacher, Dr. Hahn has delivered numerous talks nationally and internationally on a wide variety of topics related to Scripture and the Catholic faith. Hundreds of these talks have been produced on audio and vi...more
More about Scott Hahn...
The Lamb's Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism Hail, Holy Queen: The Mother of God in the Word of God Reasons to Believe: How to Understand, Explain, and Defend the Catholic Faith A Father Who Keeps His Promises: God's Covenant Love in Scripture