Start by marking “Swear to God The Promise and Power of the Sacraments” as Want to Read:
Swear to God The Promise and Power of the Sacraments

Swear to God The Promise and Power of the Sacraments

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  388 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
The most solemn, majestic, and beautiful gifts that Jesus Christ gave to the world are His sacraments. He endowed them with unprecedented and unparalleled power—power to change lives, save souls, and share God’s very life. The sacraments are the ordinary means by which God directs the course of each human life and all of world history.

The Church celebrates seven sacraments
Published May 18th 2004 by Image (first published January 28th 2004)

Be the first to ask a question about Swear to God The Promise and Power of the Sacraments

Mary-Elizabeth
Feb 01, 2010 Mary-Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, religion
Hahn's clear, concise writing is great. He aims the book at a lay audience, although some basic knowledge about the Catholic sacraments would probably help the reader a fair bit.

Description:
Hahn is superb at presenting theology and Catholic doctrine in terms that not only are understandable, but also appeal to the layperson. In this book on the sacraments, he explains the power of the sacraments, their covenantal nature and what that means, the blessings and curses that are always a part of cove
Ally
Oct 20, 2011 Ally rated it it was ok
Shelves: religion-belief
This book was not what I was expecting - I bought it because I wanted to explore the meaning behind the sacraments, particularly the sacrament of reconcilliation. However, what I got was an explanation of the Oaths we pledge with God. The writing was, as always, very engaging and my star rating reflects my own disappointment at the subject matter rather than Hahn's writing.
Stuart
Jul 21, 2014 Stuart rated it it was amazing
Swear to God was one of the first books I read as a Catholic. I audiobooked it in fact from Audible. At the time, I didn't grasp the book fully, but I did appreciate it. I have since decided to re-read it, a decade later and see how much more it speaks to me today.

The book begins with Dr. Hahn recounting his first encounter with sacraments in Protestant seminary. In a nutshell, they bored him. He was more interested in the Bible and preaching. Frankly, I could relate with him. To a Protestant, s
Kristy
Feb 05, 2009 Kristy rated it really liked it
I'll share a few of my favorite lines from this book. I generally like all of Scott Hahn's books. I like his style of writing. And this book is right up there with the rest of them. If you enjoy my review below, then pick up the book and read it!

In the age of grace, we see the kingdom of heaven and its mysteries more clearly, but still imperfectly. It is only when we pass from the age of grace into the eternal age of glory that we'll see divine things as they really are, in heaven, without their
Elizabeth
Oct 24, 2010 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kristy
4.5 Stars. I'm withholding half of a star for style issues. Otherwise this book is pretty awesome. The author was recommended to me at a young adult retreat.

This book gives a historical view of oaths, covenants, swearing and sacraments, from the ancient civilizations of the near east to our present day legal system. I have a whole new perspective on taking the Lord's name in vain now.

I'm not sure if the book presumes a certain amount of prior knowledge. i don't remember it being overly explanato
Andy
Feb 25, 2013 Andy rated it really liked it
As a Catholic, the sacraments are something that can be overlooked as commonplace. This book really changes the way I look at the seven sacraments. Instead of receiving a sacrament, it might be more accurate to say the one "enters into a sacrament". The scriptural basis is solid as usual. Dr. Hahn does a great job of explaining the history and importance of solemn oaths, and he ties them well into the Church's teaching on the sacraments. I especially like the connection he makes with the Euchari ...more
Ashley Gernon
Oct 05, 2015 Ashley Gernon rated it it was amazing
Hahn in a very clear and easy to read way, gives a basis for what makes a sacrament, just that. If you are looking for an in depth look at the sacraments, this one goes into marriage and the Eucharist the most, and touches briefly on the others. I know he has other books that delve into the other sacraments more.
Mar 17, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, catholic-faith
I like that I learn and understand more aspects about my faith each time I read a book by Scott Hahn. As in his other books, this one takes a lot of concentration and contemplation. I'll need to read it again at some point, and I'm sure I will gain more each time I go through it. (Maybe every lenten season?) I'll call it a complex, but very worthwhile book about the sacraments.
Chad Judice
Aug 04, 2012 Chad Judice rated it it was amazing
Listened to this audio - book on a vacation this summer. It was a great breakdown of the sacraments and explained how covenant was not an agreement as much as it was an oath. Ancient scripture was written in Hebrew and Aramaic and then translated to Greek and Latin into English. The Latin word for oath is sacramentum - AKA - Sacraments.
Rachel
Dec 17, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, catholic
A good read to get you back into spiritual reading. It's not too heavy and easy to understand. Good for starting out with understanding basics of the Sacraments. Goes over importance of oaths and covenants in all aspects of life.
Angela Hardy
Mar 11, 2008 Angela Hardy rated it it was amazing
My father recommended this book to me...it is a great book that discusses the connection of the Catholic church to the sacraments, and what that connection means.
Patrick
Dec 06, 2010 Patrick rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
Hahn is too fond of puns in his chapter headings, but otherwise this is a beautiful, interesting defense of sacrament and liturgy.
Carmen
May 08, 2010 Carmen rated it liked it
Bueno para profundizar los sacramentos, desde el antiguo testamento.
Sherri Sullivan
Jan 13, 2015 Sherri Sullivan rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book. So far, all that I've read from Scott Hahn has been excellent. I look forward to reading more from him.

This book contains all that I wish I'd learned in catechism (or, maybe, what I wish I'd retained).

I would definitely recommend this book to any Catholic who is 'just going through the motions, any lapsed or fallen-away Catholic, or anyone who is interested in just what Catholicism is.
Kathleen Androlewicz
Feb 19, 2016 Kathleen Androlewicz rated it it was amazing
I can't say enough about how much I have learned from Dr. Hahn and this book is another incredibly important book in understanding what the sacraments are, why they were given to us, and why we need them. Powerful!
Edie
Aug 22, 2014 Edie rated it liked it
Mr. Hahn starts off getting and holding my interest, but he generally loses me a few chapters from the end. I am not sure why, but I suspect his repetitious writing style is the cause and my habit of reading before I fall asleep is the effect. I do love his short chapters.
Stephen
Dec 31, 2013 Stephen rated it liked it
An interesting topic with lots of good information, but I just couldn't get into it and wasn't able to finish it. Not sure why...just couldn't. I think it's worth trying again...just not right now.
jen
Apr 05, 2015 jen rated it really liked it
This was a great book. I bought it for an RCIA student. The section on marriage was especially poignant. It was also quite funny at times.
Amanda
Apr 12, 2014 Amanda added it
Brilliant, as is any Hahn book. I was very excited at the beginning, some of the middle felt redundant, but the end was very thoughtful.
JAWKdad
JAWKdad rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
Tim Burbage
Tim Burbage marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Anna Mae Ducharme
Anna Mae Ducharme marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Inês Olaia
Inês Olaia marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Keith Abell
Keith Abell rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Christian Fahey
Christian Fahey marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Walt 2
Walt 2 marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Kim Sommerkamp
Kim Sommerkamp marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
  • By What Authority? An Evangelical Discovers Catholic Tradition
  • Theology and Sanity
  • Catholicism and Fundamentalism
  • Jesus of Nazareth, Part Two: Holy Week: From the Entrance into Jerusalem to the Resurrection
  • Catholic Christianity: A Complete Catechism of Catholic Beliefs Based on the Catechism of the Catholic Church
  • Life-Giving Love: Embracing God's Beautiful Design for Marriage
  • Good News About Sex & Marriage: Answers to Your Honest Questions about Catholic Teaching
  • Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic
  • On Being Catholic
  • Surprised by Truth
  • The Mass: The Glory, the Mystery, the Tradition
  • 7 Secrets of the Eucharist
  • Crossing the Tiber
  • Love and Responsibility
  • Render Unto Caesar: Serving the Nation by Living our Catholic Beliefs in Political Life
  • Compendium: Catechism of the Catholic Church
  • Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the Faith
Dr. Scott Hahn was born in 1957, and has been married to Kimberly since 1979. He and Kimberly have six children and are expecting their twelfth grandchild. An exceptionally popular speaker and teacher, Dr. Hahn has delivered numerous talks nationally and internationally on a wide variety of topics related to Scripture and the Catholic faith. Hundreds of these talks have been produced on audio and ...more
More about Scott Hahn...