Start by marking “Abe Lincoln's Hat” as Want to Read:
Abe Lincoln's Hat

Abe Lincoln's Hat

Illus. in full color. Abraham Lincoln, one of our greatest presidents, started out in life as an absent-minded frontier lawyer. How did he nudge his memory? He stuck letters, court notes, contracts, and even his checkbook in his trademark top hat. When he took off his hat, it was all there!
Published April 12th 1994 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published April 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Abe Lincoln's Hat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abe Lincoln's Hat

Manny
Mar 03, 2016 Manny marked it as to-read
Obligatory reading for every four-year-old who likes to follow the news! Astonish your playschool pals when you tell them that the Republican Party didn't used to be synonymous with prejudice, bigotry and racism, and see them stare as you explain that a Republican President actually fought a war to give black people more rights! Incredible but true.
Eduardo
May 13, 2016 Eduardo rated it really liked it
Personal Response:
I liked this book because it talked about how Abe Lincoln helped other people. He always liked to help people and he always was trying to solve people's problems.

Plot:
In the beginning of this book, there was a poor man named Abe Lincoln. He was the lawyer of his town. The first time that he had some money, he went to the store and he bought his first big hat.
Even though he was a really good lawyer, he had one problem, he never had his paperwork organized. He used to put all h
Lule
Apr 07, 2016 Lule rated it liked it
Shelves: life-stories
1) No awards received.

2) Appropriate for 1st through 3rd grade.

3) This story is about Abe Lincoln and his signature hat. The book talks about how Lincoln starts out as a lawyer then becomes president. As a president he keeps a lot of important documents and Lincoln keeps them in the hat. Students learn history while reading and learn that even presidents have their own something special that makes him/her different.

4) The story is fun and an interesting way to learn about a president and histo
Maggie Burgess
May 17, 2016 Maggie Burgess rated it liked it
Read this one with a student, and she really enjoyed it! I'm so used to these early readers being fiction, cutesy books about Frog and Toad, Fly Guy, Pete the Cat, etc. I LOVE that I've found a few that are non-fiction. This isn't a history of Abraham Lincoln, or the Civil War- not too "non-fiction-y" for students who aren't interested or ready for deep history. Instead, it focused on a fun fact about Abe (the letters he keeps in his hat) and incorporates some history along with it. My student w ...more
midnightfaerie
A book my 5 yr old loved, a little old for my preschoolers. A solid reading level 3 book, this reader has a good amount of advanced vocabulary words, but not so long that it discourages a new reader. Used it for his read out loud book, which was perfect. It took about 20 mins for him to read and had just enough new vocabulary words to make it challenging. Also, it was a fun and interesting story he could get into. He liked it so much, he asked for more by this author. Great reading book!
Hadley Webb
Apr 13, 2015 Hadley Webb marked it as to-read
Shelves: book-talk
I chose this book because I plan to teach kindergarten and this is a book that would become useful to me later in my career. This book was written for 2nd grade students and I approved of it for class room use. In this book you learn all sorts of facts about Abe Lincoln, such as what the point of his hat was, a little bit about slavery, his career as a lawyer, and his run for office. We learn history, while being entertained by the humorous ways the author choses to present these fun historical ...more
Laura Verret
Abe Lincoln’s Hat, a Step 2 reader, doesn’t even try to summarize Lincoln’s life. Instead, it tells fun stories about Lincoln’s days as a lawyer and all the papers he used to store in his hat. Each page is decorated with a sober illustration that portrays the stories being told by the text.

The comment is made that Lincoln was a great president, which will of course be appreciated by some and disliked by others.

Conclusion. A cute book that will give your children the kind of stories they like to
zabarj
Topics:
* American History
* Leadership and Responsibility
* The Presidency

Summary: Abraham Lincoln — America's 16th president and perhaps its most famous one — is painted here as an irrepressibly appealing character: a struggling and somewhat disorganized lawyer who makes his way through the wo
Vrinda
Apr 07, 2013 Vrinda rated it really liked it
Abe Lincoln’s Hat is biographical book intended for Primary (P) readers. This book is primarily about Abraham Lincoln's life before he became president. It focuses on the caring side of Lincoln that developed through time. It starts off at a stage in his life when he was coming into his own as a young lawyer with little money and takes readers on a journey with key stories that led up to his election as the President of the United States. Being a biography, there is no clear plot other than Abra ...more
Lauren Innes
Summary:
Abe Lincoln grew up in the mostly wilderness state of Illinois, a place where many people disputed over animals, land, and money. Despite not ever having much money in his family, when it came time for Abe to begin his occupation as a lawyer, he wanted to make sure he had a respectable, notable image, and so he bought a black coat and matching tall black hat. Abe’s hat sure did help get him noticed and build up his clientele, but his lack of organization surely wasn’t helping him in the
Nola Redd
Dec 01, 2008 Nola Redd rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Books about presidents focus so often on well known historical facts that are generally very dry. So when I found a children’s book titled “Abe Lincoln’s Hat”, well, I just knew it would be a little livelier.

I have never heard of a biography focused around a hat, and I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the first. Martha Brenner’s books start off talking about Abe’s purchase of a top hat. “People noticed the tall man in the tall hat,” she says. That single line just made me laugh. To think of h
Ricky Ordway
Jan 27, 2014 Ricky Ordway rated it it was amazing
Abe Lincolns Hat is a book that is suited for younger readers from 1st thru 3rd grade levels. It doesn't necessarily speak about Lincoln as a President, but rather focuses on random stories and acts in his early life as a lawyer. It also explains how he became organized using his hat. I think that its great that it shows Lincoln as a human and not as an office figure. Nice change of pace for a biography about a president.
Abbey Madison
Dec 04, 2014 Abbey Madison rated it really liked it
This cute story about Abe Lincoln and his life shows another perspective about the importance of his hat. Abe Lincoln used his hat to put things in there that he would normally forget. Its great to show children another interesting part of Abe Lincoln they haven't learned before. It would work for grades 1-3.
Catie
Feb 05, 2014 Catie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: febuary
I really liked this book. I liked it because the true stories were funny and the ideas were simple. I liked the detailed pictures and and great accomplishes that were talked about. Overall, I really liked this book because of the humor and detailed pictures.
Wendy Mills
Aug 09, 2015 Wendy Mills rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very fun and entertaining, but informative children's edition about our 16th president, Abraham Lincoln.
Judy
Jan 18, 2015 Judy rated it really liked it
Nice, age appropriate book for 2nd graders. Short and concise. Not the "regular" stuff we read about Abe.
Judy Ekblad
Sep 07, 2016 Judy Ekblad rated it liked it
I had forgotten Lincoln hid notes in his hat. Lots of fun in a beginning reader.
Kinksrock
Jan 19, 2016 Kinksrock rated it it was amazing
Fun book to read to a kid. Good to get Lincoln into their heads early.
Janice
May 27, 2016 Janice rated it it was amazing
Love this book, very well written, humorous and interesting.
Jaime Barrera
Jul 27, 2016 Jaime Barrera rated it it was amazing
What a great story. "He could make a cat laugh."
Marie
Abe Lincoln’s Hat chronicles President Lincoln’s life as a small-town lawyer. Traveling from town to town Lincoln defends the innocent and settles disputes between neighbors. How does he keep all the cases organized, well he uses his hat of course! Follow Lincoln as he struggles as a young lawyer, gains popularity, and eventually become the sixteenth president.

I only gave this two stars because the story line is very factual, however, the pictures are horrible. The depiction of Abe Lincoln does
Melanie
Jan 07, 2015 Melanie rated it really liked it
This book is fun for young kids to learn a lot about Abraham Lincoln. My 7 year old has learned a great admiration for President Lincoln through numerous readings of this short story.
Jitendra
Feb 27, 2016 Jitendra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tanu, atharva
Nice book.
Rosa Cline
Apr 14, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
This book as I was reading it out loud to my granddaughter; I felt it was a fictionalized book. That the writer just took a Historic subject and made a book out of it for children. But in the back of the book it does say "All the stories in this book are true and all the people really lived. Here are photos of some of them. When the photos were taken, around 1860, the camera was a new invention." So I guess these 'far out' stories weren't so far out after all. A good way to get children interest ...more
Pynteya Bate
Adorable story about one of our presidents, A. Lincoln, and his tall black hat which he cared with him all the time. A. Lincoln, who was a lawyer before he became a President, used his tall hat to store his notes and letters from his clients. Sadly, one day his he lost all his notes and were not able to help some of his friends right away. The story includes the facts from his life and mentions his accomplishments before and after he became a President. My students really like it.
Colleen Moran
This book is a really good book to start reading when teaching kids about the presidents, or Abe Lincoln in general. Instead of reading facts about him in a text book, or going over worksheets this book explains his life in the way of a short story. It talks about some of the important things but by narrating it as if it were a story. Some parts are added in to make the book interesting to kids but most of the facts are true or based on true events.
Shelli
Apr 12, 2013 Shelli rated it really liked it
This was an entertaining, educational and FUNNY book about Lincoln during his years as a lawyer. So many books about Lincoln describe his passion for the constitution, ending slavery, his kindness and honesty, and his tragic death. This focused on his humor and wit, which was a big part of who Lincoln was. I think all elementary age students will enjoy this story, the reading level is more for second and third graders.
Anna
Mar 25, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Great easy reader for my grandsons to enjoy when we study U.S. Presidents this summer.

This book presents both serious and comical facts about Abraham Lincoln in an entertaining way. Can't say I knew before that he actually used his tall hat as a filing system when he was a lawyer, and even when he was President. Yes, he actually kept letters and papers in his hat!
Gordon Pennington
Abe Lincoln's Hat portrays Lincoln as a lawyer who stores papers in his hat. However, some bullies knock his hat off, scattering Abe's important documents! This book does a great job of representing Abe as not a distant historical figure but a real person; this book also illustrates the negative affects of bullying, which is always a hot topic in schools.
Seher Patka
Apr 21, 2011 Seher Patka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-studies
An amazing book about one of our greatest presidents, Abe Lincoln. I learned so much from reading it! It's about Abe Lincoln's life as a lawyer before becoming President and the importance of his tall black hat. Did you know that he kept all his notes and speeches in his black hat? One day, he lost his notes, and couldn't help his friend out.
  • George Washington and the General's Dog
  • Christopher Columbus
  • The True Story of Pocahontas (Step Into Reading, Step 3)
  • A Picture Book of Abraham Lincoln
  • Sam the Minuteman
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • Abe Lincoln: The Boy Who Loved Books
  • The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War
  • Hungry, Hungry Sharks!
  • A Girl Named Helen Keller (Scholastic Reader Level 3)
  • Just a Few Words, Mr. Lincoln