Start by marking “The Farther Shore (Star Trek: Voyager: Homecoming, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Farther Shore (Star Trek: Voyager: Homecoming, #2)

The Farther Shore (Star Trek: Voyager: Homecoming #2)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,108 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
When the long-lost Starship Voyager returned home to Earth, did Kathryn Janeway and her crew unwittingly bring with them a deadly Borg infection from the heart of the Delta Quadrant? Many in Starfleet think so, and Seven of Nine finds herself the prime suspect as the carrier of the plague. Now, following the events of Homecoming, Admiral Janeway must reunite her crew in a ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 1st Edition, 277 pages
Published August 4th 2003 by Pocket Books (first published June 6th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Farther Shore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Farther Shore

Homecoming by Christie GoldenActs of Contrition by Kirsten BeyerThe Farther Shore by Christie GoldenSpirit Walk by Christie GoldenEnemy of My Enemy by Christie Golden
Voyager Relaunch Series
3rd out of 12 books — 5 voters
Homecoming by Christie GoldenThe Farther Shore by Christie GoldenSpirit Walk by Christie GoldenEnemy of My Enemy by Christie GoldenFull Circle by Kirsten Beyer
Star Trek: Voyager Relaunch
2nd out of 12 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

rivka
Oct 31, 2011 rivka rated it liked it
Shelves: startrek

This review is of both parts of Homecoming together. I definitely suggest reading them in immediate sequence; these are NOT stand-alones.

While they lack a few things I really really wanted to see (e.g. (view spoiler)), what we did get to see what a lot of fun. Libby was great. B'Elanna's adventure was moving on multiple levels. And the whole Borg (view spoiler) plot was well-done.

T
Doug Dams
Jul 18, 2014 Doug Dams rated it really liked it
This book finished up all the story lines from the Homecoming #1 book. This was more satisfying then being left up in the air at the end of the first book> The story lines drifted between how intelligence organizations trying to do "the greater good" fool themselves and how paranoia can affect even the most sane people. The two main story lines, a Borg takeover and holograms demanding the rights of Federation citizens, saw how the Federation drifted back and forth in trying to preserve the Fe ...more
Tsana Dolichva
Jan 06, 2016 Tsana Dolichva rated it it was ok
Star Trek Voyager: The Farther Shore by Christie Golden is the direct sequel to Homecoming, and together the two books form a duology. They are more like one longer book that was split in two, however, and neither of them stand alone. This review contains spoilers for Homecoming, and probably some for The Farther Shore, too, but I will put those under a spoiler shield thingy unless they are very minor.

This book made me pretty angry. There were two main elements which led to this. First, the prol
Brian Lewis
Aug 04, 2014 Brian Lewis rated it it was ok
The conclusion to Homecoming was not what I was looking for to put an end to the TV series. There was so much filler in book 1 and still quite a few unnecessary plot lines in book 2. Both books could have been condensed into 1 book titled "The Farther Homecoming," and it would have been a vast improvement.

The main issue I had with the book was that the main plot line was entirely uninteresting, full of holes, and had no sense of immediacy. Characters lingered about drinking coffee, eating cheese
Rob
Nov 10, 2013 Rob rated it really liked it
This was exactly what I’m looking for from a star trek novel: fun, action packed and focused on the characters I want to read about in believable post-show hijinks. This really did feel like an extension of show and was well written. I particularly enjoyed the portrayal of B’Elanna and Seven and the writing was on point, I want to check out more from this author.
Amy
Nov 11, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
I'll review both this book and "Homecoming" here since it is one story, bound in 2 volumes.

I think all fans of the series needed a better conclusion than what the finale offered. A movie would have been best, IMHO, and the plot(s) of this book and some of the settings would have been a good start.

"Homecoming" started off very stong and I very much enjoyed the celebrations and fallout of the crew arriving back in the alpha quadrant. A lot of things brought up in season 7 (view spoiler)
Angela
The story continues from Homecoming. Seven, Icheb, and the Doctor are in danger. A borg virus is hitting Earth, no one is looking for the cure, or so it seems. First off, don't expect this to be a Seven led plot, she is hardly in it until the last 3rd of the book. It's quite a fun read, particularly the bit with Voyager in it. It does send off all the characters into some kind of closure after their return, and that is very well done. At times the plot is slow, but the story is clever. A good re ...more
Jimyanni
Nov 12, 2011 Jimyanni rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
I only have two quibbles with this book that keep it from being a five-star review: One, most importantly and most obviously to anyone who's familiar with my reviews, is that it's only half a story, and I will never give any book that is not a complete story in and of itself five stars; this book has no beginning. One could not pick it up and read it without having read "Homecoming" without being almost completely lost.

This does not mean that the entire history of the Voyager series has to be r
Dan Gilman
Jun 26, 2012 Dan Gilman rated it liked it
First world problem: being a hard core Trekkie slash Book Nerd. I want my Star Trek characters to live and breathe like the characters in James Clavell's Shogun, while also wanting every single moment to bleed green Vulcan blood!

I can not imagine creative writing in a licensed material world is easy, in fact I imagine it's a lot like having ten cooks in a five seat kitchen. I imagine there's more bumping into each other than actual cooking.

For one thing, why was this book split into two? With th
Gilliam
May 23, 2012 Gilliam rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
In the end there is just too much competition for space to allow all three story lines: the Borg Virus, B'Lanna's Challenge and the Holo Rebellion, to develop and resolve themselves satisfactorily (like so many Berman era Trek episodes).

I'm still at a loss to understand why B'Lanna's wholly unrelated story line playing Clan of the Cave Bear on Boreth with her Mommy Dearest is even included here (let it be know I've never been able to take TNG era Klingons and their angsty Stone-Age cultural etho
Alyson
Aug 13, 2012 Alyson rated it it was ok
Such a let down from the first book. I really enjoyed "Homecoming", though it was far from perfect. This one was so disappointing because it lost most of the fun of the first in the series. I very rarely enjoy it when the bad guy's POV is given so much page-time, and this is no exception. This book also went from giving us the POVs of a few non-Voyager crew, to far too many, all jumbled together in one messy, lazy attempt at writing.

The plot was unbelievably predictable (more so, even, than mos
Michelle
Jun 05, 2013 Michelle rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, sci-fi
I was pretty neutral about the first book and I was hoping that this one would improve. Sadly it went in the wrong direction. By the time I was done I was pretty disappointed in this entire series. Many of the crew hardly get any scenes, instead Libby Webber and a kidnapped starfleet officer get more time than they do. Again the multiple plot lines result in a lack of cohesion. B’lanna’s storyline is not really resolved and I found myself thinking what was the point of this again and why was it ...more
Daniel
Sep 03, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it
Part 2 of 2 of the first post-series Voyager story. Wraps up the story begun in "Homecoming" nicely, with a tense race to the finish and some great powerhouse characterization of Janeway, as well as some very strong Seven of Nine material. Continues to set up future stories, as well as bringing some of the show's character arcs full circle. One of the subplots becomes somewhat awkwardly detached from the main thrust of the story, but not so badly that it derails the book.
Sabine
Dec 29, 2013 Sabine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Endlich ist sie da, die deutsche Übersetzung zum bereits 2003 erschienenen Original von Christie Golden. Aber das Warten hat sich gelohnt. Habe die knapp 250 Seiten verschlungen und warte nun sehnsuchtsvoll auf einen dritten Band - keine Ahnung ob es den geben wird.

Die Borg-Seuche ist nun ausgebrochen und Janeway und ihre tapfere Mannschaft versucht ihr Bestes um das Rätsel um diese Seuche zu lösen. Eigentlich kann nur eine Borg-Königin die Nanosonden aktivieren. Aber Seven kann keine orten - o
Jennifer Kronk
Aug 20, 2008 Jennifer Kronk rated it really liked it
This was a good conclusion to the Homecoming series. I enjoyed the most recent "final" showdown with the Borg and it is always good to see the Voyager team working together.
My one complaint about the novel (I would like to rate this more as a 3.5) is the annoying holographics rights story line. I thought it was one of the real "jump the shark" plotlines in the TV series and it continues to annoy and baffle me here. Actions taken by the activists are criminal and cruel and the responses by some o
Harvey Cottrell
Jul 17, 2015 Harvey Cottrell rated it really liked it
Isela
Sep 14, 2015 Isela rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek-read
After re-watching the television series, I was happy to have found this book and all of the subsequent novels. They are well written and give insight to all of the things that happened after Voyager's return home and the struggles they had adjusting back to 'normal' life.
Paynesgrey
Dec 12, 2011 Paynesgrey rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. Entertaining, realistic, true to the spirit of Star Trek. Particularly in the approach the author takes on current social/political issues. She manages to thoughtfully and in a mature fashion address human (well, sentient) rights, treatment of prisoners and "possibly maybe an enemy detainees", all without breaking the 4th wall or losing track of the story of Voyager's return home. And she does it without making it a politicized, ham handed diatribe. She stimulates thought rather th ...more
Katie Buerk
Sep 18, 2014 Katie Buerk rated it it was amazing
I don't know if I could get used to calling Seven of Nine anything but Seven. But for a moment she was Annika Hansen and it was nice to see her rather than just 7
Eric Diekhans
Apr 04, 2014 Eric Diekhans rated it liked it
This book was a big step up from Homecoming. Things actually happened in it's pages, interesting, sometimes exciting things. Christie Golden does a good job of capturing the characters' voices, though I have to say reading these books isn't nearly as enjoyable as watching the series.
Fiannawolf
May 26, 2015 Fiannawolf rated it it was amazing
Even the Borg shall not stop me from reading more awesome trek books. *Voyager and DS9 are my favorites but I love all the Treks. So many books...so little time.
Neha Garg
Aug 11, 2015 Neha Garg rated it it was amazing
This book continues the plot of Homecoming. The story was so gripping, I couldn't put my kindle down And ended up reading both books in a day each.
Nicola Zunino
Jun 30, 2014 Nicola Zunino rated it liked it
Carino. Finale moooolto affrettato. Sottotrama degli ologrammi dimenticata. Le ultime 20 sprecano ottime idee. Il primo volume era decisamente più godibile.
Missh
Jun 10, 2014 Missh rated it it was amazing
A MUST for anyone who is a TRUE Voyager fan! Do start with book 1 called "Homecoming".
Alex Templeton
Jul 27, 2013 Alex Templeton rated it really liked it
I've been rewatching Voyager, and therefore figured this book (along with its predecessor, "Homecoming") would make some interesting plane reading. I have to say that these two were some of the best Trek novels I've read. It was a believable, action-packed, and compelling continuation of where the series left off. In short, Voyager returns to Earth and doesn't at all get the grand reception it expects. For one, the Dominion War has just ended, and for two, a new threat to Earth is brewing in Sta ...more
Kristen
May 01, 2014 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek, 2014
The Borg, the crew of Voyager, espionage, and quite a bit of Chakotay. What's not to love?
Sonya Couch
Shelves: 2013
TREK! A BARN BURNER
Mary
Oct 04, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
I really liked the two book part that detailed Voyager's homecoming but unlike a lot of people I am disappointed that Seven ended her's and Chakotay's relationship. She definitely cut out a good portion of learning humanity in doing that. I am also not really a big fan of Libby. I don't know why but I actually find her annoying and whiny.
RumBelle
Mar 29, 2016 RumBelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek
Great half of a duology set right after Endgame. This is the first time we see the Borg in a new light, and how this novel chose to portray them and especially their Queen is very inventive. I love seeing how everyone reacts to the homecoming and how everyone's lives have changed. This is a great set of books, a really enjoyable read.
  • Unworthy (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Cohesion (Star Trek Voyager: String Theory, #1)
  • The Nanotech War (Star Trek Voyager #39)
  • Shadow (Star Trek Voyager: Section 31, #4)
  • Evolution (Star Trek Voyager: String Theory, #3)
  • Mosaic (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Distant Shores
  • Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Garden (Star Trek Voyager, #11)
  • Chrysalis (Star Trek Voyager, #12)
  • Cybersong (Star Trek Voyager, #8)
  • Q & A (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • The Black Shore (Star Trek Voyager, #13)
  • Flashback (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)
Award-winning author Christie Golden has written over thirty novels and several short stories in the fields of science fiction, fantasy and horror. She has over a million books in print.

2009 will see no fewer than three novels published. First out in late April will be a World of Warcraft novel, Athas: Rise of the Lich King. This is the first Warcraft novel to appear in hardcover. Fans of the youn
More about Christie Golden...

Star Trek: Voyager: Homecoming (2 books)
  • Homecoming (Star Trek: Voyager: Homecoming, #1)