The Farther Shore (Star Trek: Voyager: Homecoming, #2)

The Farther Shore (Star Trek: Voyager: Homecoming #2)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  803 ratings  ·  42 reviews
When the long-lost Starship Voyager returned home to Earth, did Kathryn Janeway and her crew unwittingly bring with them a deadly Borg infection from the heart of the Delta Quadrant? Many in Starfleet think so, and Seven of Nine finds herself the prime suspect as the carrier of the plague. Now, following the events of Homecoming, Admiral Janeway must reunite her crew in a...more
Mass Market Paperback, 1st Edition, 277 pages
Published August 4th 2003 by Pocket Books (first published June 6th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Farther Shore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Farther Shore

Homecoming by Christie GoldenThe Farther Shore by Christie GoldenSpirit Walk by Christie GoldenEnemy of My Enemy by Christie GoldenStar Trek by Kirsten Beyer
Voyager Relaunch Series
2nd out of 9 books — 2 voters
Star Trek: Voyager Relaunch
2nd out of 9 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

rivka

This review is of both parts of Homecoming together. I definitely suggest reading them in immediate sequence; these are NOT stand-alones.

While they lack a few things I really really wanted to see (e.g. (view spoiler)), what we did get to see what a lot of fun. Libby was great. B'Elanna's adventure was moving on multiple levels. And the whole Borg (view spoiler) plot was well-done.

T...more
Doug Dams
This book finished up all the story lines from the Homecoming #1 book. This was more satisfying then being left up in the air at the end of the first book> The story lines drifted between how intelligence organizations trying to do "the greater good" fool themselves and how paranoia can affect even the most sane people. The two main story lines, a Borg takeover and holograms demanding the rights of Federation citizens, saw how the Federation drifted back and forth in trying to preserve the Fe...more
Brian Lewis
The conclusion to Homecoming was not what I was looking for to put an end to the TV series. There was so much filler in book 1 and still quite a few unnecessary plot lines in book 2. Both books could have been condensed into 1 book titled "The Farther Homecoming," and it would have been a vast improvement.

The main issue I had with the book was that the main plot line was entirely uninteresting, full of holes, and had no sense of immediacy. Characters lingered about drinking coffee, eating cheese...more
Rob
This was exactly what I’m looking for from a star trek novel: fun, action packed and focused on the characters I want to read about in believable post-show hijinks. This really did feel like an extension of show and was well written. I particularly enjoyed the portrayal of B’Elanna and Seven and the writing was on point, I want to check out more from this author.
Jimyanni
I only have two quibbles with this book that keep it from being a five-star review: One, most importantly and most obviously to anyone who's familiar with my reviews, is that it's only half a story, and I will never give any book that is not a complete story in and of itself five stars; this book has no beginning. One could not pick it up and read it without having read "Homecoming" without being almost completely lost.

This does not mean that the entire history of the Voyager series has to be r...more
Dan Gilman
First world problem: being a hard core Trekkie slash Book Nerd. I want my Star Trek characters to live and breathe like the characters in James Clavell's Shogun, while also wanting every single moment to bleed green Vulcan blood!

I can not imagine creative writing in a licensed material world is easy, in fact I imagine it's a lot like having ten cooks in a five seat kitchen. I imagine there's more bumping into each other than actual cooking.

For one thing, why was this book split into two? With th...more
Gilliam
In the end there is just too much competition for space to allow all three story lines: the Borg Virus, B'Lanna's Challenge and the Holo Rebellion, to develop and resolve themselves satisfactorily (like so many Berman era Trek episodes).

I'm still at a loss to understand why B'Lanna's wholly unrelated story line playing Clan of the Cave Bear on Boreth with her Mommy Dearest is even included here (let it be know I've never been able to take TNG era Klingons and their angsty Stone-Age cultural etho...more
Alyson
Such a let down from the first book. I really enjoyed "Homecoming", though it was far from perfect. This one was so disappointing because it lost most of the fun of the first in the series. I very rarely enjoy it when the bad guy's POV is given so much page-time, and this is no exception. This book also went from giving us the POVs of a few non-Voyager crew, to far too many, all jumbled together in one messy, lazy attempt at writing.

The plot was unbelievably predictable (more so, even, than mos...more
Michelle
I was pretty neutral about the first book and I was hoping that this one would improve. Sadly it went in the wrong direction. By the time I was done I was pretty disappointed in this entire series. Many of the crew hardly get any scenes, instead Libby Webber and a kidnapped starfleet officer get more time than they do. Again the multiple plot lines result in a lack of cohesion. B’lanna’s storyline is not really resolved and I found myself thinking what was the point of this again and why was it...more
Sabine
Endlich ist sie da, die deutsche Übersetzung zum bereits 2003 erschienenen Original von Christie Golden. Aber das Warten hat sich gelohnt. Habe die knapp 250 Seiten verschlungen und warte nun sehnsuchtsvoll auf einen dritten Band - keine Ahnung ob es den geben wird.

Die Borg-Seuche ist nun ausgebrochen und Janeway und ihre tapfere Mannschaft versucht ihr Bestes um das Rätsel um diese Seuche zu lösen. Eigentlich kann nur eine Borg-Königin die Nanosonden aktivieren. Aber Seven kann keine orten - o...more
Jennifer Kronk
This was a good conclusion to the Homecoming series. I enjoyed the most recent "final" showdown with the Borg and it is always good to see the Voyager team working together.
My one complaint about the novel (I would like to rate this more as a 3.5) is the annoying holographics rights story line. I thought it was one of the real "jump the shark" plotlines in the TV series and it continues to annoy and baffle me here. Actions taken by the activists are criminal and cruel and the responses by some o...more
Paynesgrey
Amazing book. Entertaining, realistic, true to the spirit of Star Trek. Particularly in the approach the author takes on current social/political issues. She manages to thoughtfully and in a mature fashion address human (well, sentient) rights, treatment of prisoners and "possibly maybe an enemy detainees", all without breaking the 4th wall or losing track of the story of Voyager's return home. And she does it without making it a politicized, ham handed diatribe. She stimulates thought rather th...more
Katie Buerk
I don't know if I could get used to calling Seven of Nine anything but Seven. But for a moment she was Annika Hansen and it was nice to see her rather than just 7
Eric Diekhans
This book was a big step up from Homecoming. Things actually happened in it's pages, interesting, sometimes exciting things. Christie Golden does a good job of capturing the characters' voices, though I have to say reading these books isn't nearly as enjoyable as watching the series.
Nicola Zunino
Carino. Finale moooolto affrettato. Sottotrama degli ologrammi dimenticata. Le ultime 20 sprecano ottime idee. Il primo volume era decisamente più godibile.
Missh
A MUST for anyone who is a TRUE Voyager fan! Do start with book 1 called "Homecoming".
Alex Templeton
I've been rewatching Voyager, and therefore figured this book (along with its predecessor, "Homecoming") would make some interesting plane reading. I have to say that these two were some of the best Trek novels I've read. It was a believable, action-packed, and compelling continuation of where the series left off. In short, Voyager returns to Earth and doesn't at all get the grand reception it expects. For one, the Dominion War has just ended, and for two, a new threat to Earth is brewing in Sta...more
Kristen
The Borg, the crew of Voyager, espionage, and quite a bit of Chakotay. What's not to love?
Sonya Couch
my 1st star trek book il be reading many more very enjoyable
Robert Lewter
TREK! A BARN BURNER
Mary
I really liked the two book part that detailed Voyager's homecoming but unlike a lot of people I am disappointed that Seven ended her's and Chakotay's relationship. She definitely cut out a good portion of learning humanity in doing that. I am also not really a big fan of Libby. I don't know why but I actually find her annoying and whiny.
Adam
This book was not any better than the first. Christie Golden should be ashamed of herself. Such fanfic panderings.

The B'elanna story was outstanding through. It had so little to do with the rest of the plot that it could have and should have stood by itself. B'elanna and her mom: 5 stars. The rest of the book: 1 star.
Kimberly
I found this book only marginally better than the first in the series, but still found the story rather unbelievable (even for the Star Trek universe). I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a die-hard Voyager fan (which I am), and even then I'd give a warning.
South Regional Durham County Libraries
The sequel to "Homecoming" this book concludes the story of what happened to the Voyager crew after they arrived back in the Alpha Quadrant. A good ending to a fabulous series. Enjoy!
Lauren Doll
Peter Wilson
this book picks up right were we left off in homecoming however I think it should of had a little more about it than it did but this maybe because I enjoyed homecoming better than this
Jonathon Laudinsky
Better than the first! read this book in 2 days. Voyager crew uncovers the borg plot on earth, begins new realtions with each other, and awaits their futures in starfleet.
Jeremiah
Even more action than the book that precedes it, the stories of all the scattered bridge crew come back together. It was like reading an even better series finale.
Jocelyn Saskiw
These 2 books were the perfect ending for Star Trek Voyager. They are so far the best Star Trek books that I have ever read.
Steve
This was great, a Borg virus on earth and a Hologram making a borg queen..If you like the voyager series..this is a must..
  • Unworthy
  • Cohesion (Star Trek Voyager: String Theory, #1)
  • The Nanotech War (Star Trek Voyager #39)
  • Evolution (Star Trek Voyager: String Theory, #3)
  • Echos (Star Trek Voyager, #17)
  • Shadow (Star Trek Voyager: Section 31, #4)
  • Distant Shores
  • Mosaic
  • The Escape (Star Trek Voyager, #2)
  • Chrysalis (Star Trek Voyager, #12)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • The Garden (Star Trek Voyager, #11)
  • Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Endgame (Star Trek Voyager)
  • The Final Fury (Star Trek Voyager, #9; Invasion, Book 4)
  • Caretaker (Star Trek Voyager, #1)
Award-winning author Christie Golden has written over thirty novels and several short stories in the fields of science fiction, fantasy and horror. She has over a million books in print.

2009 will see no fewer than three novels published. First out in late April will be a World of Warcraft novel, Athas: Rise of the Lich King. This is the first Warcraft novel to appear in hardcover. Fans of the youn...more
More about Christie Golden...
Omen (Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi, #2) Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (World of Warcraft #6) Allies (Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi, #5) Lord of the Clans (WarCraft, #2) Rise of the Horde (World of WarCraft, #2)