Start by marking “Fade” as Want to Read:
Fade

Fade

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  880 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
In this new thriller by the bestselling author of Rising Phoenix, a secret department of Homeland Security tries to recruit a retired agent who is bitterly angry at the government he believes abandoned him.
Hardcover, Large Print, 415 pages
Published December 31st 2005 by Center Point (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Fade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fade

Hayat
This book left me anxious and at the edge of my seat. I loved the action, suspense, plot, characters development and everything in-between.

Salam al Fayed (Fade) is a former Navy SEAL, a spook and one of America's best weapons against its enemies until a mission goes wrong and he gets a bullet in the back. Fade needs complicated risky surgery and his government refuses to pay for it, making him him feel disillusioned, betrayed and abandoned by his country and friends so he turns his back on his
Tim
Nov 06, 2015 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Outstanding! 10 of 10 stars if you like good intelligence thrillers! 2007. I re-read this and 8 years later stands the test of time. I read Survivor, Mills story for the late Vince Flynn. Not near as good. I'm currently reading, "Robert Ludlum's The Patriot Attack," by Kyle Mills hoping its better than Survivor.
Jeff Benham
Oct 02, 2015 Jeff Benham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to become a little bit familiar with Kyle Mills before the new Mitch Rapp release. Then I checked some of the two star reviews to see if it was possible they read the same book. This was a very exciting book! It start fast out of the gate and never stopped for a breath. There is never any doubt as to who the main bad guy is and who the good and bad good guys are. There is a secondary bad guy who plays into it in the end. Some of the lesser reviews seem to be due to the fact that ...more
Ed Schmidt
Apr 16, 2015 Ed Schmidt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Salam al-Fayed (Fade),an Arab-American former CIA spook who has a bullet lodged very near his spine and is now retired, was approached by his old friend Matt Eagan and a Homeland Security Chief in an attempt to recruit him for a special team. Fade declines, but the Homeland guy, Hillel Strand, refuses to accept it. He decides to dig up some dirt to blackmail Fade in to joining them. Fade begins to set a trap for the Homeland guys that are sure to come after him. Instead, Strand sets up a phony s ...more
carl clause
Oct 05, 2015 carl clause rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book!!!!!

As always Kyle Mills did a great job with this story. Can't wait to read Fade 2. Read all the Mark Banner series also. Just a really great story teller. Wil try to find the time to also read the Covert One series. Can't wait to see what he also did with Vince Flynn series. Big fan !!!!. Thanks, Carl Clause
Joyce McKune
Apr 23, 2015 Joyce McKune rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best thriller I've read in months. Vince Flynn's style, great character set. Special opps retiree felt abandoned by our government because they wouldn't authorize the surgery he needed to remove a bullet lodged near his spine. Matt had tried to get him the help he needed but failed. Now Matt was working for a new homeland security division who was recruiting and Fade said no but Matts boss wouldn't take no for an answer and tried to black mail him into coming to work for them. It all when down h ...more
Tom Tischler
Feb 03, 2015 Tom Tischler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A secret Department of Homeland Security is recruiting agents to
work undercover in the Middle East and the director wants his
second in command Matt Egin to bring aboard an old friend Salam
al-Fayed better known as Fade. He's perfect for this job. A New
Yorker an ex Navy Seal he's the son immigrants and he speaks
perfect Arabic. The problem is that he's "retired". He got shot
in the back in the line of duty and the Government refused to pay
for the risky surgery. Now he lives like a hermit with a bul
Gloria Bernal
May 28, 2015 Gloria Bernal rated it it was ok
Seriously???... all these rave reviews?

This by the author who will take over writing for Vince Flynn's series on Mitch Rapp, Counter-terrorism Operative. We, in this household, love the series and Flynn's death was a shock and a loss to many of us. I wanted to see what Mills writing was like and picked this at random. I saw no correlation or similarities to Flynn's writing style by this example. What was expected from the reviews was a very serious thriller but turned out to be more of a spoof,
Jack
Dec 07, 2010 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My second book on CD. I had started it while on vacation and was so interested that I have continued with it each time I get in the car, driving around town. Talk radio is history!
I really liked this story. I was very caucht up with the charaters and it had you on the edge of your seat throughout.
Very well done. I would love to see it as a movie! (you know EVERYTHING I read has a movie conotation!!)
J. Ewbank
This is one heck of a read. I got caught up in the book and had to keep reading until the end. Unfortunately for me, the end was not what I wanted it to be, but such is the way with books and authors. I cried at the end because it did not go the weay I had hoped.

A good read.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Bill Donhiser
really enjoyed this one. Tragically flawed main character, impossible situation, well written and a real page turner. al Fayed gripped my attention and I had a good time tearing through this one at a blistering pace. I have two back novels left of Kyle Mills to read then I will just have to wait ads new ones are written
Jeanne
Feb 19, 2013 Jeanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book!! I don’t think I’ve read a book that has kept me holding on with white knuckles to see what is going to happen when I turn the page . . . and then bring tears to my eyes. Great read--amazing story with well defined characters. Definitely a 10 out of 10 for me on this one!!
Katrina
Mar 30, 2010 Katrina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book still troubles my dreams, perplexes my thoughts. the characters, story line, implications. it is complex and probably not for all - but if you like thrillers of a highly complex and tortured nature, this is for you.
Pamela
Dec 11, 2010 Pamela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Former Navy SEAL - Salamal Fayed (a.k.a. "Fade") - Homeland Security insisting on putting him back on the payroll and the mess they create - Spell-binding Page Turner!
Steve
Feb 19, 2008 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've started reading everything by Kyle Mills. This book is great fun with lots of action. But it still ties everything together. Good plot and characters too.
Kevin Fitch
Jan 31, 2014 Kevin Fitch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of his best stand alone novels. I just love the pace and tempo of his writing. It sucks you in and refuses to let go.
Cameron Harvey
Mar 08, 2016 Cameron Harvey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patricia
Jun 04, 2012 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a terrific book, even if a bit wrenching. Mills has a knack for complicated issues. Can't recommend it more.
Amy Billman
Aug 09, 2015 Amy Billman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome read. It's rare that I encounter a book that's powerful enough to make me cry at the ending.
Mark
Mar 11, 2009 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spy-thriller
very compelling character...this has become a favorite of mine from Mills...always a thrill ride to the end
Lisa
Apr 11, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kyle Mills is a terrific story teller, and Fade is my favorite book of his yet! GREAT read!!
Judith
Mar 01, 2010 Judith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book or perhaps I should say I loved Fade. I really miss this character.
Lauri
Jan 24, 2015 Lauri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Plus stars!! Great book.
Howard Anders
Sep 05, 2014 Howard Anders rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit of a departure from Mr. Mills terrific series on FBI agent Mark Beamon. An exciting, well-written read, nonetheless, but I felt that the three main characters could have been developed more. I also felt that the secondary story line concerning the serial killer could have been further developed. It is difficult to "root" for the good guy who kills off several policemen, albeit mistakenly, early in the story, his status as a heroic Navy SEAL notwithstanding.
John Doe
Nov 03, 2014 John Doe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very unique and entertaining book. A fascinating protagonist, and refreshingly free of stereotypes. I spent 15 years in the armed forces, and Mr.Mills has done his homework. The story itself was entertaining and fast paced. If you're tired of run-of-the-mill America-Good everyone else-Bad thrillers, pick this up. Great job, and I'll definitely be looking to read more from this author.
Hilary
Mary Mullane
Nov 19, 2015 Mary Mullane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned Kyle Mills was going to finish VinceFlynn's last Mitch Rapp book, so I wanted to read one of Kyle's first and chose this one. I enjoyed it! Especially the sarcastic humor. Fade is probably close to being Rapp's clandestine killer soul mate. So now...on to reading The Survivor by Vince Flynn and Kyle Mills.
Vera Miles
A very depressing book

I know there are people who have to guard our country to keep us safe. I would hope that this country would take care of them regardless of the cost. This book is fiction but could very easily be nonfiction.
Mike
Mills writes a good thriller. Only a couple of the bad guys are really bad and some of the good guys are not good. The Special Forces theme kinda works but the Arab SEAL estranged from the SOF community doesn't really ring true. Guess he had to make a few politically correct points to be accepted on the author cocktail tour. The rogue military guy could have been of any background and the story would have worked. Mills depiction of the Washington bureaucracy and the Dept of Homeland Security are ...more
Burt
Sep 06, 2014 Burt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mills has big shoes to fill if he takes over for Vince Flynn. If this book is any indication of his talent then there is hope for a successful transition.
  • Stone Destiny (Stone Passions, #3)
  • Contact Zero
  • Bunker 13
  • Secret Justice
  • The Bombmaker
  • Undersea Prison (Stratton, #4)
  • Final Target (Graham Gage #1)
  • The Leader And The Damned
  • Gideon's War (Gideon Davis, #1)
  • Voyage of the Devilfish
  • Mortal Allies (Sean Drummond, #2)
  • Purging Fires (Day Soldiers, #2)
  • The Devil's Banker
  • As The World Dies Untold Tales Volume 3
  • The Enemy (Victor the Assassin #2)
  • De kleurenvanger
  • The Second Perimeter (Joe DeMarco, #2)
  • The Day Before Midnight
Kyle Mills lives in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, where he spends his time skiing, rock climbing and writing books.

Series: