Four Witnesses: The Early Church in Her Own Words

Four Witnesses: The Early Church in Her Own Words

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Rod Bennett What was the early Church like? Contrary to popular belief, Rod Bennett shows there is a reliable way to know. Four ancient Christian writers—four witnesses to early Christianity —left us an extensive body of documentation on this vital subject, and this book brings their fascinating testimony to life for modern believers. With all the power and drama of a grip...more
Published March 1st 2002 by Ignatius Press

Jeff Miller
Having just read Jimmy Akin’s “The Fathers Know Best” and Michael O’Briens “Theophilos” I found Rod Bennett’s book “Four Witnesses: The Early Church in Her own Words” to fit right in a reading theme of the early church and the Church Fathers. I had previously heard plenty of good things about this book and I found my high expectations to be exceeded.

This book runs along two basic themes. The first being related to conversion and apologetics as Rod Bennett tells the story in the introduction how...more
Wanda
I'm quite impressed with this book! I wanted to read up on the Church Fathers a bit, but was afraid it would overtax my peanut brain. But I am finding this book to be a very easy, yet enlightening read! I wish I had read it last year, actually. Its one of those books that makes me so glad I had the good sense to join the Church!
Steve
As a lapsed Catholic, this book changed my life.
Vince
"Four Witnesses: The Early Church" covers the key figures of the 2nd Generation leaders of Christianity from 90 AD to 170 AD; Clement of Rome, Ignatius of Antioch, Justin Martyr, and Irenaeus of Lyon. They faithfully transmit the Christian message given to them by Apostles and disciples of Apostles. They also stand against teachings that are different from the Jewish based Christian understanding of God, nature, and man.

The key Christian message is that Jesus lived and died and was resurrected a...more
Beth
This book was a tough slog, but it was well worth it. It was cool to read excerpts from the writings of these four early Church fathers. I did not even realize that there was a "gap century" or two from Pentecost until when the Bible was written and accepted by the early Church. How did the early Church survive until then? Also, lots of other faux Christian cults were popping up everywhere. Perhaps my favorite early Church leader to read was Justin Martyr. A Greek, he studied Socrates and Aristo...more
Howard
Truly inspirational and immensely informative. The early church's struggles and successful outcome are nothing short of miraculous. So many faithful martyrs refused to denounce the faith in the face of every imaginable torture, and so many tests for those who followed the apostles. Really presents a fantastic view into the early development of the church.

Protestants, beware. There's a great deal of information presented that highlights Catholicism as the true faith of the apostles and schisms a...more
Laura Manske
A must read for Christians, well written history of four of the early fathers of the Church written by a Protestant trying to prove that the Roman church has fallen from its roots. He discovers along the way that he was wrong.
Michael
Searching for "Truth" takes us back to the start. The more you read the more you/I realize that the early Church was Catholic.

Robert Corzine
This book really does tell the story of the early Church in Her own words. Bennett has put the patristic material into a narrative form and provided some historical context to make it read like a story. But the original words of Clement, Ignatius, Justin, and Irenaeus are printed in bold so that you can clearly see which parts Bennet is adding and which parts are by the ancient writers themselves. It looks to me like about 40% of the text is the work of these original "witnesses." Excellent book...more
Kathy
"To be steeped in history, is to cease being a Protestant." This book takes excerpts from the authentic writings of four early Church Fathers who lived and died for the early Christian faith and weaves these excerpts into a novel form. Two of these men had learned from the apostles themselves. It has been said "the blood of the martyrs is the seed of the Church." If you look at the church they describe, it looks very much Catholic...and that church is still around today. If you are searching fo...more
Christine
I enjoyed this book. It's a nice painless introduction to the writing of the men who learned the faith as students of the original apostles. The author occasionally imagins what it might have been like during that early period of the Church, but not to excess and I can forgive him because I do the same thing too.
Christopher Raffa
An easy read and intro into four fathers of the early church. I could have done without the afterword; an interesting apology for those who have traveled to Rome having been disheartend by the bland American Evangelicalism that pervades our religious landscape.
Cindy
This was a really heavy book. It is a slow read but has a lot of good information. We did it for the Spiritual Book club at church and it really needed a lot longer than a month to be read in. It took me several months.
Ted Leon
A very interesting book that discusses the Church in the period right after the Apostles. The writings of four early Church Fathers shows the development of the Church, including its beliefs, worship, structure and governance.
Damion
Good summary of the early church. Easy to read. I highly recommend this book for people that are interested, but not committed enough, to read the early fathers for themselves.
Dejah
I found this book is absolutely incredible - both spiritually and emotionally impacting. Read it!
Patrick
Bennett did his homework, and as a bonus, his prose is sometimes lyrical.
Amy
One of the best books I've read in a long time. I plan to re-read it soon, something I almost never do!
Ryan Christopher
Ryan Christopher marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Aimee Moore
Aimee Moore marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Jason D'Silva
Jason D'Silva marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
bob johnston
bob johnston marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Darren Corpe
Darren Corpe marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Steph
Steph marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
My first published writing appeared when I was 15 years old in the pages of the legendary Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine. Since then, I've been featured in other national publications, ranging from Rutherford and Gadfly to Catholic Exchange and Our Sunday Visitor. I spoke on film and television topics for 10 years at Jesus People USA's Cornerstone Rock Festival, leading seminars on the cinem...more
More about Rod Bennett...
The Christus Experiment Chesterton's America Chesterton's America: A Distributist History of the United States