Start by marking “Praying in Color: Drawing a New Path to God” as Want to Read:
Praying in Color: Drawing a New Path to God

Praying in Color: Drawing a New Path to God

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  524 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
Need help communicating with God?
Maybe you hunger to know God better. Maybe you love color. Maybe you are a visual or kinesthetic learner, a distractable or impatient soul, or a word-weary pray-er. Perhaps you struggle with a short attention span, a restless body, or a tendency to live in your head.
This prayer form can take as little or as much time as you have or want t
Published April 1st 2007 by Paraclete Press

To ask other readers questions about Praying in Color, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Praying in Color

Robin Hatcher
I was interested in reading this book because I have begun to practice Bible art journaling, and I thought this might be a good tie-in. Not really and yet sort of. I liked the book and am using some of what I learned in my own prayer time since I can too often find my thoughts straying during prayer (so frustrating!). I believe that some of MacBeth's suggestions have succeeded in helping me stay focused on God during my quiet time.

This is not a deep, theological, scriptural book on prayer. It is
Marshan Alma
Dec 20, 2014 Marshan Alma rated it did not like it
Maybe I misunderstood the book. The author says that you can pray by drawing pictures and writing names in the pictures. I missed the part where she actually conversed with God. Now if she's using the drawings, to remind her of the people or subject matter, and then conversing to God then absolutely! Why a fun, new way to pray. But I thought that she simply write the names in the shapes and moved on the the next shape. How is that praying? That more like making a list. Prayer is conversing with ...more
Trenare
Oct 24, 2011 Trenare rated it it was amazing
This book is a fabulous little book that helped me to rethink what praying can look like. I highly recommend it.
Michelle McBeth
Jan 07, 2015 Michelle McBeth rated it really liked it
Praying in color is a wonderful way of looking at prayer from a right-brained perspective. MacBeth shows you ideas of how to basically doodle around a person's name while putting your focus and energy into praying for this person. For those who are creative or kinesthetic, this is a wonderful out-of-the-box way of looking at prayer. The concept is not difficult. It is not time consuming. But by reading this book, you feel that you now have "permission" to do something different in your prayer li ...more
Lisa Mcbroom
Feb 05, 2014 Lisa Mcbroom rated it it was amazing
A different sort of prayer book using colors and shapes to convey prayer. My favorite quote from the book comes from the author's son who at age 3 described God as a sort of patchwork quilt with every kind of skin, fur, shells, and feathers of every creature on earth.
Kathy
Oct 07, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it
An easy to read, inspiring book, which made me pick up some colouring pencils and PRAY!
Jan 05, 2016 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, catholic
This isn't really a Catholic book but it is a Christian book.

Thanks to the adult coloring fad, I began to look for a deeper meaning. Why are all these people coloring? Then someone said that it was meditative. Well, if it's meditative, then there must be some spiritual connection to coloring. This book helped me make the connection.

The author obviously studied some contemplative prayer, etc. She knows all the jargon. I appreciate the breadth of her knowledge.

All in all, though, this isn't for m
Allison Fetch
Mar 09, 2014 Allison Fetch rated it it was amazing
My church women's group will be holding a retreat next weekend and with this book as our basic guidance I wanted to give it a look ahead of time. I couldn't put it down and read it in a single 45 minute session - what great ideas for another method of prayer! Doodling my prayers seems very organic and natural to me and while it's not something I think I would do every day, I know I will enjoy adding it to my prayer repertoire. I'm looking forward to the retreat even more now, and can't wait to p ...more
James
Jun 10, 2012 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: prayer
Focusing mostly on intercessory prayer, Sybil MacBeth helps us 'Right Brain' people stay engaged in prayer through drawing our prayers (drawing a shape with the person's name in and continue to decorate their name, focusing on praying for the person as you draw). In the end, you have a visual representation of your prayer which continues to call you to prayer for that person (or people)

Of course she doesn't restrict herself to intercessory prayer. Macbeth also uses this technique to explore the
Debby Zigenis-Lowery
Oct 06, 2013 Debby Zigenis-Lowery rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I read it in one sitting, just gobbled it up.

McBeth shares how she is eager and willing to pray for others, but finds her prayer time turns into something more like a series of prayer snippets as her short attention span--and don't we all have one of those nowadays!--keeps pulling her off topic.

The outcome of her actively seeking a ways to deal with this challenge is the book, Praying in Color. Basically, McBeth advocates for doodling your prayers. Sit down with paper, pens, a
Stephanie
Mar 24, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I've only tried it for two days now, but this is a fascinating way to explore praying. I normally can't even get myself to do it for more than 5 minutes, but just in the fact that I'm so curious about it, both sessions of doodling lasted half an hour. Even though Lent's almost halfway over, I think I'm going to try to carry this on through the rest of Lent and see where it takes me. If I end up with nothing more than a fresh look at praying, that'll be fine by me.
Kimberly
Feb 23, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to have taken a one day seminar with the author. Praying in Color will be life changing for me. I love this approach to building a stronger prayer life and relationship with God. I found so much freedom in it. I lost myself in the exercises. It is a rare occasion when my mind's chatter stops. Even more rare that I was able to do something and not judge myself. As Sybil said, "Now there's Hallelujah moment!"
Readnponder
Feb 22, 2012 Readnponder rated it really liked it
Prayer is hard for me. I can't stay focused. I'ved tried all sorts of lists and notebooks. By contrast, I have no trouble concentrating on Bible study. My spiritual life is 97% Bible study and 3% prayer.

I thought this book might help me. In a short 100-page, brightly colored book, the author describes how to use doodling as an aid to prayer. Basically, you are substituting images for words. You are praying for the person as you write his/her name on a piece of paper with gel pens or colored penc
Lydia
Nov 16, 2015 Lydia marked it as to-read
Recommended to Lydia by: Lauren F. Winner
Shelves: to-read-spirtual
Courtney
Oct 29, 2015 Courtney rated it really liked it
"Adopting a new way of praying may require a suspension of rigid belief. ... Holding and worshiping the stone tablet of my 'I've always done it this way' prayers is idolatry. We don't need to destroy the prayers, but we do need to smash their place on the high altar of our consciousness and our rigid dependency on them."

This little book challenges me to discover why and how I pray.
Becky Sayler
Feb 10, 2014 Becky Sayler rated it really liked it
Shelves: family-devotions
The kid’s edition is meant to be read and used independently by kids old enough to read with ease. I love how it gives concrete ideas on how to have prayer time with God that capitalizes on what a lot of kids like to do – doodle! Paired with the adult version of the book, it would make a great way to have each family member have alone time, and then come together to share.
Janet
Jun 21, 2015 Janet rated it it was amazing
If you want your prayers to have words and sentences you probably won't like this book. But if you love movement and color and art this is your book. I enjoyed it thoroughly and am finding it so much easier to spend time in prayer. Plus I like leaving drawings around the kitchen so I will be reminded often of the things I am praying about
Kristi
I resonated with her introduction about prayer dilemmas, which, let's be honest, any normal human being encounters. I liked her suggestions and her encouragement to freely marry art and prayer, though her style and particular approach did not always resonate with me. A little too brief and narrow in the approach as well.
Lauren Tomlinson
Jun 06, 2015 Lauren Tomlinson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book! I think her ideas will really help my prayer life. This book is for anyone who is visual and gets distracted during prayers. I think I'm going to read it again right now just so I know that I caught everything. It is such a quick read. I highly recommend it!
Luann Kern
Sep 15, 2014 Luann Kern rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith-based
This book will turn your concept of prayer upside-down. When the table of contents shows the chapters numbered in reverse order, you know you're in for something a bit different. And the author does not disappoint. If you find yourself struggling to maintain a prayer life the way you've been taught to pray, fear not, for Sybil MacBeth opens our minds to the possibility that prayer can take place with our eyes open and our hands holding the colors of the rainbow. A breath of fresh air for our rel ...more
Anna
Jun 02, 2015 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: christianity
Praying in color is an easy way to contemplate a different way to pray. As a writer, I often pray by journaling but do not focus my thoughts as much as I would like, or have a lot to write about. This method helped me to focus on the concept I had chosen to pray about and continue to think through it. It is a great meditative exercise written in a simple format with lots of ideas and examples.
Fallon
#2015readingchallenge
A book a friend reccommended
My friend Mandie said I should read this when I started Bible Art Journaling earlier this year. I did like it. but I wish the author would have written more. She seems to imply that art is the only creative way to communicate with God. In reality, God can communicate with us in so many ways. It felt like the book ended too soon.
Marsha
Jun 05, 2015 Marsha rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed the idea of praying in color that the author provides. Bought this book several years back and am glad I pulled it out again and read it all the way through. Very simple to read and plenty of examples to help you get started.
Lauren
Mar 13, 2008 Lauren rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book and learning about how prayer can extend into every part of our lives. The author makes it clear that there is no one clear cut way to pray - that prayer can come just as much in creating a drawing as it can be sitting in silence. For a person like myself, who has a hard time carving out and settling my mind into silence, this is going to be a wonderful and awesome tool for my prayer life - that is my hope at least. I love the freedom it gives to be creative an ...more
A.C. Bauch
Feb 21, 2013 A.C. Bauch rated it really liked it
prayer has always been a struggling aspect of my spiritual life. so i joined a praying in color group at my church. thus, i wanted to read the book to learn more about the process. of course, this was a quick read; i got it in yesterday's mail and finished it in about two hours. even though i was already familiar with the basics of praying in color, i enjoyed reading more about why and how she developed the process, as well as learning different ways to use the method for other parts of my spiri ...more
Sonya Guidish
May 07, 2016 Sonya Guidish rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
Very simplistic book, written fine, but it just wasn't for me. I had high hopes for this to improve my prayer life, especially since I like to color inspirational and spiritual coloring books, it so far doesn't seem to be my thing. Of course that's not the writers fault. I will try a couple more times, but I am not hopeful. The fact that I'm a perfectionist made this process more difficult than it should be.
Melissa
Oct 26, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it
I love this idea. This is a really great way for kinesthetic and visual learners to pray. I usually doodle during the Sunday sermon to stay focused so why not try it when I am praying.
Mommyhungry
Sep 30, 2014 Mommyhungry rated it really liked it
A wonderful addition to my meditative doodling practice and accessible even to non-Christians (well, ones who can translate Christian terms and ideas into their own tradition.)
Pat Loughery
This is a fun and creative - and surprisingly profound - look at praying for other people in a different way. The author, a right-brained (math teacher), finds a way to express prayer in left-brained (doodling) activity. I loved it.

It's an easy read; I started it waiting for my bus to arrive and finished it before the bus commute was over. I found that I highlighted and made a lot more notes than I expected to, and the book spun off some other ideas about creative forms of prayer expression.

Thi
Barbara
May 08, 2016 Barbara rated it it was amazing
This book offers a very creative and relaxing prayer form. It is a very personal prayer form that is individualized to the person.
  • The Creative Call: An Artist's Response to the Way of the Spirit
  • Seven Sacred Pauses: Living Mindfully Through the Hours of the Day
  • Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals
  • Five Practices of Fruitful Congregations
  • Life After Art: What You Forgot About Life and Faith Since You Left the Art Room
  • The Godbearing Life: The Art of Soul Tending for Youth Ministry
  • The Crowd, The Critic And The Muse: A Book For Creators
  • Journal Bliss: Creative Prompts to Unleash Your Inner Eccentric
  • Speaking of Sin
  • The Survival Guide for Kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders (And Their Parents)
  • The Artist's Rule: Nurturing Your Creative Soul with Monastic Wisdom
  • The Social Media Gospel: Sharing the Good News in New Ways
  • Divine Nobodies: Shedding Religion to Find God (and the Unlikely People Who Help You)
  • Naked Spirituality A Life With God in Twelve Simple Words
  • The Women's Bible Commentary with Apocrypha (Expanded Edition)
  • Christian Doctrine
  • Still: Notes on a Mid-Faith Crisis
  • Breathing Space: A Spiritual Journey in the South Bronx

“..when someone says "please pray for me," they are not just saying "let's have lunch sometime." They are issuing an invitation into the depths of their lives and their humanity- and often with some urgency. And worry is not a substitute for prayer. Worry is a starting place, but not a staying place. Worry invites me into prayer. As a staying place, worry can be self-indulgent, paralyzing, draining, and controlling. When I take worry into prayer, it doesn't disappear, but it becomes smaller.” 18 likes
“To my surprise, I had not just doodled, I had prayed (I drew new shapes and names of each friend and focused on the person whose name stared at me from the paper). I had though OF each person as I drew but not ABOUT each person. I could just sit with them in a variation on stillness. I could hold them in prayer.” 8 likes