Start by marking “Praying in Color: Drawing a New Path to God” as Want to Read:
Praying in Color: Drawing a New Path to God

Praying in Color: Drawing a New Path to God

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  333 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Need help communicating with God?
Maybe you hunger to know God better. Maybe you love color. Maybe you are a visual or kinesthetic learner, a distractable or impatient soul, or a word-weary pray-er. Perhaps you struggle with a short attention span, a restless body, or a tendency to live in your head.
This new prayer form can take as little or as much time as you have or want
Published April 1st 2007 by Paraclete Press

To ask other readers questions about Praying in Color, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Praying in Color

Trenare
This book is a fabulous little book that helped me to rethink what praying can look like. I highly recommend it.
Marshan Alma
Maybe I misunderstood the book. The author says that you can pray by drawing pictures and writing names in the pictures. I missed the part where she actually conversed with God. Now if she's using the drawings, to remind her of the people or subject matter, and then conversing to God then absolutely! Why a fun, new way to pray. But I thought that she simply write the names in the shapes and moved on the the next shape. How is that praying? That more like making a list. Prayer is conversing with ...more
Lisa Mcbroom
A different sort of prayer book using colors and shapes to convey prayer. My favorite quote from the book comes from the author's son who at age 3 described God as a sort of patchwork quilt with every kind of skin, fur, shells, and feathers of every creature on earth.
Kathy
An easy to read, inspiring book, which made me pick up some colouring pencils and PRAY!
Allison Fetch
My church women's group will be holding a retreat next weekend and with this book as our basic guidance I wanted to give it a look ahead of time. I couldn't put it down and read it in a single 45 minute session - what great ideas for another method of prayer! Doodling my prayers seems very organic and natural to me and while it's not something I think I would do every day, I know I will enjoy adding it to my prayer repertoire. I'm looking forward to the retreat even more now, and can't wait to p ...more
James
Focusing mostly on intercessory prayer, Sybil MacBeth helps us 'Right Brain' people stay engaged in prayer through drawing our prayers (drawing a shape with the person's name in and continue to decorate their name, focusing on praying for the person as you draw). In the end, you have a visual representation of your prayer which continues to call you to prayer for that person (or people)

Of course she doesn't restrict herself to intercessory prayer. Macbeth also uses this technique to explore the
Debby Zigenis-Lowery
I loved this book! I read it in one sitting, just gobbled it up.

McBeth shares how she is eager and willing to pray for others, but finds her prayer time turns into something more like a series of prayer snippets as her short attention span--and don't we all have one of those nowadays!--keeps pulling her off topic.

The outcome of her actively seeking a ways to deal with this challenge is the book, Praying in Color. Basically, McBeth advocates for doodling your prayers. Sit down with paper, pens, a
Stephanie
I've only tried it for two days now, but this is a fascinating way to explore praying. I normally can't even get myself to do it for more than 5 minutes, but just in the fact that I'm so curious about it, both sessions of doodling lasted half an hour. Even though Lent's almost halfway over, I think I'm going to try to carry this on through the rest of Lent and see where it takes me. If I end up with nothing more than a fresh look at praying, that'll be fine by me.
Kimberly
I was fortunate enough to have taken a one day seminar with the author. Praying in Color will be life changing for me. I love this approach to building a stronger prayer life and relationship with God. I found so much freedom in it. I lost myself in the exercises. It is a rare occasion when my mind's chatter stops. Even more rare that I was able to do something and not judge myself. As Sybil said, "Now there's Hallelujah moment!"
Readnponder
Prayer is hard for me. I can't stay focused. I'ved tried all sorts of lists and notebooks. By contrast, I have no trouble concentrating on Bible study. My spiritual life is 97% Bible study and 3% prayer.

I thought this book might help me. In a short 100-page, brightly colored book, the author describes how to use doodling as an aid to prayer. Basically, you are substituting images for words. You are praying for the person as you write his/her name on a piece of paper with gel pens or colored penc
Becky Sayler
The kid’s edition is meant to be read and used independently by kids old enough to read with ease. I love how it gives concrete ideas on how to have prayer time with God that capitalizes on what a lot of kids like to do – doodle! Paired with the adult version of the book, it would make a great way to have each family member have alone time, and then come together to share.
Tori
This has been a refreshing adventure and a profound practice that I'll continue. Though it centers around intercessory prayer, it is more properly a guide to another gate to meeting with God. This author, and this I find to be rare, doesn't take a tome to say what she needs to present, but is thorough in the scant 103 pages that she uses. Bravo !!!!
Luann Kern
This book will turn your concept of prayer upside-down. When the table of contents shows the chapters numbered in reverse order, you know you're in for something a bit different. And the author does not disappoint. If you find yourself struggling to maintain a prayer life the way you've been taught to pray, fear not, for Sybil MacBeth opens our minds to the possibility that prayer can take place with our eyes open and our hands holding the colors of the rainbow. A breath of fresh air for our rel ...more
Lauren
I really enjoyed reading this book and learning about how prayer can extend into every part of our lives. The author makes it clear that there is no one clear cut way to pray - that prayer can come just as much in creating a drawing as it can be sitting in silence. For a person like myself, who has a hard time carving out and settling my mind into silence, this is going to be a wonderful and awesome tool for my prayer life - that is my hope at least. I love the freedom it gives to be creative an ...more
Cathryn
This book is going add so much fun to my prayer time! I am a doodler, zentangler, and letterer at heart and I am so easily distracted in my quiet times. I can't wait to get out my Prismacolors and start praying in color!!
A.C. Bauch
prayer has always been a struggling aspect of my spiritual life. so i joined a praying in color group at my church. thus, i wanted to read the book to learn more about the process. of course, this was a quick read; i got it in yesterday's mail and finished it in about two hours. even though i was already familiar with the basics of praying in color, i enjoyed reading more about why and how she developed the process, as well as learning different ways to use the method for other parts of my spiri ...more
Melissa
I love this idea. This is a really great way for kinesthetic and visual learners to pray. I usually doodle during the Sunday sermon to stay focused so why not try it when I am praying.
Mommyhungry
A wonderful addition to my meditative doodling practice and accessible even to non-Christians (well, ones who can translate Christian terms and ideas into their own tradition.)
Pat Loughery
This is a fun and creative - and surprisingly profound - look at praying for other people in a different way. The author, a right-brained (math teacher), finds a way to express prayer in left-brained (doodling) activity. I loved it.

It's an easy read; I started it waiting for my bus to arrive and finished it before the bus commute was over. I found that I highlighted and made a lot more notes than I expected to, and the book spun off some other ideas about creative forms of prayer expression.

Thi
Frances
excellent book. I read it in a couple of hours....great insight into prsyer
Monica
In the opening pages there's a list of 16 "dilemmas" that might hinder your prayer life. I qualified for 9 1/2 of those (one dilemma applied to me about half of the time) including fidgeting, mind-wandering and being task oriented & distracted. Sybil MacBeth hooked me right then to give this a whirl. After creating just one "icon" with some colored pencils, I'm sold. This method of prayer will still be a discipline to be mastered but for me it will flow better with more focus, intention, and ...more
David Brazzeal
a great book that I've recommended to tons of friends
Brigitte
Very interesting book, a friend suggested it to me when I mentioned my struggle to focus when praying. A quote I liked from this book: "Prayer is not just about application & utility, it's about living full time with God at the center"
Michelle Bodle
Short, wonderful and approachable book on prayer
Erin
Would love to do this as part of a retreat.
Wendy
I read a review of this book in Christianity Today, and then happened to find it a few days after at a book table at a conference I was attending. It is an AMAZING description of one woman's experiences with prayer. Having had trouble all her life staying "focused" while praying, she was able to discover a way to connect praying with doodling. I have been devouring all the resources I can on creative and/or multi-sensory prayer lately, and this is definitely a favorite.
Dawn
Wonderful! I am very mechanical when I pray and not usually connected. A friend had shared this book at a Tapestry Network retreat and WOW!! It is really helping me to connect and be with God and pray for those I love and those around me. I've purchased a couple of these as gifts for friends. A very quick read, but might just change the way you pick up the prayer connection to the almighty.
Margaret Pagnotta
I loved the idea behind this book and can't wait to try it. I'm presenting it as a continuing educations lesson to our preschool teachers at the end of May, and will work on a way to adapt it for our little ones. It was kind of strange how the book started on Chapter -5 and worked it's way up to Chapter 0 and on through Chapter 16...kind of "off putting".
Rachel
I'm really glad I read this. I had been doing something like it for a while, and at first it was actually kind of cramping to try to do my prayers this way. But then I started doing kind of a mix. The lectio divina section has been really helpful and meaningful for me. It's a cool way to practice lectio without having to sit still and be quiet.
Alice
Apr 06, 2008 Alice rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lisa, Jill, Clarissa, Zeal, Kortney, Abi, Kirstin, Margie, Jamie, Michael, Kris
I am looking forward to delving more deeply into this book, but have enjoyed the flow of my colored pencils and the Spirit's involvement in creating picture prayers of intercession. I am more deeply involved in praying with heart, soul, mind; the Spirit instructs through the Word and imbues my scribbles with precious insights and strong hope.
  • The Creative Call: An Artist's Response to the Way of the Spirit
  • Seven Sacred Pauses: Living Mindfully Through the Hours of the Day
  • Journal Bliss: Creative Prompts to Unleash Your Inner Eccentric
  • The Crowd, The Critic And The Muse: A Book For Creators
  • The Godbearing Life: The Art of Soul Tending for Youth Ministry
  • Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals
  • Five Practices of Fruitful Congregations
  • Living a Life That Matters: Resolving the Conflict Between Conscience and Success
  • Divine Nobodies: Shedding Religion to Find God (and the Unlikely People Who Help You)
  • Acedia & Me: A Marriage, Monks, and a Writer's Life
  • The Women's Bible Commentary with Apocrypha (Expanded Edition)
  • Make Your Creative Dreams Real: A Plan for Procrastinators, Perfectionists, Busy People, and People Who Would Really Rather Sleep All Day
  • Still: Notes on a Mid-Faith Crisis
  • Soul Feast: An Invitation to the Christian Spiritual Life
  • Untitled
  • With Open Hands
  • Sleeping with Bread: Holding What Gives You Life
  • Breathing Space: A Spiritual Journey in the South Bronx
Praying in Color Kids' Edition: Kid's Edition The Season of the Nativity: Confessions and Practices of an Advent, Christmas, and Epiphany Extremist Praying in Color Journal Praying in Black and White: A Hands-On Practice for Men Praying in Black and White: A Hands-on Practice for Men

“..when someone says "please pray for me," they are not just saying "let's have lunch sometime." They are issuing an invitation into the depths of their lives and their humanity- and often with some urgency. And worry is not a substitute for prayer. Worry is a starting place, but not a staying place. Worry invites me into prayer. As a staying place, worry can be self-indulgent, paralyzing, draining, and controlling. When I take worry into prayer, it doesn't disappear, but it becomes smaller.” 17 likes
“To my surprise, I had not just doodled, I had prayed (I drew new shapes and names of each friend and focused on the person whose name stared at me from the paper). I had though OF each person as I drew but not ABOUT each person. I could just sit with them in a variation on stillness. I could hold them in prayer.” 8 likes