Start by marking “Broken Wing” as Want to Read:
Broken Wing

Read Book

Broken Wing

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  821 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
Set during the chaotic beginnings of Napoleon's rule, this saga tells the story of Gabriel St. Croix, a street survivor searching for a place to belong. Abandoned as a child and raised in a brothel, he has never known friendship or affection. Hiding physical and emotional scars behind an icy facade, his only relationship is with a young boy he has spent the last five years ...more
Paperback, first edition, 440 pages
Published November 1st 2008 by Medallion Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Broken Wing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Wing

The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer AshleyDreaming of You by Lisa KleypasLord of Scoundrels by Loretta ChaseFlowers from the Storm by Laura KinsaleJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Tortured Heroes of Historical Romance
28th out of 311 books — 346 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenOutlander by Diana GabaldonDevil in Winter by Lisa KleypasJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Favorite Historical Romance Novels
431st out of 2,559 books — 4,838 voters

More lists with this book...

Eastofoz
Jan 11, 2009 Eastofoz rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers who prefer historical fiction more than historical romance
Why all the hoopla about this book I don’t know. It’s not really a romance novel even though it’s touted as one. It’s almost like an adventure story about a very damaged hero and it is ALL about the hero. The romance is a sub-story. What little steam there is is glanced over like you would find in regular fiction and after the first half of the book the h/h don’t get together until the end –that’s about 200 pages covering the hero and what happens to him –so it’s not a romance for me.

There quit
MelissaB
Broken Wing was a very good book that kept me turning the pages. The writing style is different than most romances, I felt a little more removed from the characters than normal but it did not take away from my enjoyment of the story. There was a historical fiction feel to the story but there is also a very good romance being told.

Sarah Monroe and her brother travel to France to bring home her younger brother who disappeared five years ago but was recently found in a brothel. They find him relati
MomToKippy
Sep 14, 2015 MomToKippy rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, too-vulgar
This is interesting romantic historical fiction interspersed with smut or smut interspersed with interesting historical fiction. I do not get the reviews that indicate this is your traditional romantic historical. Egads no. I would recommend Kinsale or McNaught for authors who need lessons on artistically described romantic interludes. Ok, I need to go wash my eyeballs out...
Giedre
DNF at 2o%
Writing too adjective heavy. Character development seems to be anaemic. I also encountered this gem of a sentence: He sprang erect at her touch, his manhood hungry and bold. If you're wondering what exactly she touched, it was not his nether regions, unless those bits are masquerading as his forearm. Anyway, I couldn't take this book seriously afterwards, so I decided not to wait for an actual sex scene, because I just bet there'll be at least one instance of turgid there.

Verity
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
Nov 25, 2015 Wollstonecrafthomegirl rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF at 65%. I had to take a couple of days off from this in order to get my working life sorted before going away for a week and I found when I came back to my Kindle that I had absolutely no desire to spend even one minute of my holiday finishing it. You know what? Life is just too short when you feel like that about a book. And I suspect this is a specific thing to me, reviewers I respect and usually agree with really liked this one and I can see why. It's challenging and different and feels v ...more
Kristiej
Apr 14, 2012 Kristiej rated it it was amazing
Gabriel is a young man living in complete despair. Since he was given as a very young boy to a French brothel, he has been used – terribly so. Hauntingly so. Heartbreakingly so. The only thing that keeps him going, that keeps him there, is the protection he is giving to a young boy, Jamie. He is terrified that the same thing will be done to the Jamie that was done to him. When he finds out the family, a brother and sister, of Jamie have discovered his whereabouts after years of searching for him ...more
Mollie
Aug 23, 2011 Mollie rated it it was amazing
This book first appeared on my radar way back when Kristie(j) posted her review then her subsequent quest to get EVERYONE to read it, much like her North & South crusade! I don't know why I didn't read this sooner. Kristie hasn't steered me wrong yet between Ride the Fire, North & South, and the Joss Ware Envy series; I should know by now to read everything Kristie tells me!

I don't know that there's a lot for me to add with all of the amazing reviews of Broken Wing but if you're a girl w
Feminista
May 30, 2016 Feminista rated it liked it
This could have easily been a 5 star rating.

(view spoiler)
Zoe
Oct 08, 2015 Zoe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think Judith James writes with a very distinctive style, which makes her stories very interesting for me. It can be a little trying to follow though. I find it interesting all the same. Whether I love it, I cannot say. But it certainly makes interesting reads.

Broken Wing has a man whore for a hero. I have seen quite a few courtesan books but this is my first book which has the male lead cast as a male prostitute at the time when the story begins. I did not know what to expect so I read on wit
Maqluba
I love a good cathartic story like this one. You've got a thoroughly abused hero and a very original heroine who doesn't play by the rules. The best part? they TALK to each other...that's right! a historical romance where the hero and heroine actually talk about their feelings and don't hide a away or reject how they feel, it's miracle! He has such a messed up history and more crap just keeps happening to him, poor guy... you just wanna hold him and let him cry on your shoulders (which the heroi ...more
Regan Walker
Set in the late 1700s/early 1800s in France and England with stops in the Mediterranean and North Africa, this story is rich in the history of the times and will sweep you away with an enthralling story of love, hardship, inner strength, forgiveness, acceptance and the joy of life. I think the heroine may be my favorite of all time: beautiful, intelligent, creative—a rebel with a past. But the hero, Gabriel, is to die for. You will love him, I promise. (They are both on my Favorite Heroes & ...more
Emery Lee
Aug 05, 2010 Emery Lee rated it really liked it
Judith James weaves a dark and compelling spell in Broken Wing, the story of a seemingly irredeemable man, a former male prostitute raised in a Parisian brothel, who through self-sacrifice for another is able to escape his life and find his soul.

Although this did feel like two books in one, I loved the multiple settings and "pirate adventure" that gave Gabriel his final chance for revenge and desperately needed closure.

Gabriel's ultimate redemption, however, is only found in the arms of Sarah, a
Caroline The HEA Lover
(This was originally posted on Book Lovers Inc)

Warning this might be the longest review ever…I promise to wake you up when I’m done. Oh and it might be a little tiny bit spoilery, but I’ll keep it as vague as I can!

It took me a while to finish this book. Why? Because halfway through it I had the strange thought ‘Ah, if it ended there it would be a HEA…could be nice!’…after that I had a hard time picking it up again not knowing what drama was going to ruin it all! (but it always does, you know!)
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Anzu The Great Destroyer
3.5* mostly because I really liked Gabriel's character. Sarah was too kind and perfect, but the author didn't overdo it so it was easy on the eye. The story was a bit too slow and stretched out more than needed. But overall it's an enjoyable book. If you're into romance you should give this one a try.
Tracy
Apr 23, 2011 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was exactly what I was looking for. I was in the mood for a romance where the hero is desperately, achingly in love. This was it. Gabriel loved Sarah with a passion that was all consuming. She was the only one who ever really knew him. She loved him just the way he was, even though he didn't love himself. There were a few chapters that made me panic a little, but the end was blissful. Great read!!
Pamela(AllHoney)
Broken Wing has many great reviews but I didn't feel it. Barely 3 stars for me. I love romance but this didn't feel much like a romance. The style of writing was hard for me to read. It wasn't a horrible book but just wasn't a good romance for me. I guess this author just isn't for me.
Molly
Feb 23, 2016 Molly rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
No rich, handsome Earl, Duke, Marquis...meets plucky virgin and loses his heart here!

This is the story of Gabriel and Sarah. It is romantic, exciting and heartbreaking. Gabriel was abandoned in a whore house as a child. We never get the story on who leaves this lovely child there or why. But his life is a nightmare as he is forced to become a whore. Somehow he manages not to lose his soul. Sarah is a young, vibrant sixteen year old when her bastard uncle forces her to marry one of his very old f
Anna
Feb 01, 2009 Anna rated it it was amazing
This is not what would normally catch my eye. But since it came highly recommened and that it was such a great love story. I had to read it. This book was truly amazing. It tells of one of the greatest love stories I have read in a very long time. From the first page it captured me. The author has done such a degree of research about the time that the writing is nothing but stellar.

I really loved this book and like all my fellow bloggers I highly recommend reading it. The love that Gabriel and S
ALPHAreader
May 28, 2011 ALPHAreader rated it liked it
Sarah and Ross Munroe have been searching for their missing younger brother for five long years. Following the sudden death of their parents, and an unfortunate marriage for Sarah, little Jamie Munroe was caught up in a family revenge plot and kidnapped . . . but now he has been found.

Ross and Sarah have had privateers and investigators searching every back street for a sign of their sibling for years, and now their search has paid off . . .
Jamie has been located in a French brothel, and the Mun
KatiD
Mar 07, 2012 KatiD rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rntv-reviews
Reviewed by Kati Dancy
Grade: 5+ stars
Publisher: Medallion Press

Every once in a while, if one is very lucky, they read a romance novel so lyrically written, so wonderfully conceived, so thoroughly researched, so full of interesting and different characters, it practically ruins reading for them for a few days, or weeks, or months. I very much fear that this will be the case for me after reading BROKEN WING by Judith James. I requested this book at the recommendation of KristieJ, a wonderful and s
Ilze
Sep 23, 2012 Ilze rated it it was amazing
Shelves: judith-james
Fantastic story! Not perfectly executed, but the character and adventures (or misadventures, for the most part) of the hero Gabriel overcome any quibbles about the less-perfect aspects of the book.

I enjoyed both parts of the book - the first part where Gabriel lives with Sarah's family after leaving his life as a male slave/prostitute and they fall in love while Gabriel goes through a long emotional healing process, and the second part where Gabriel heads off to do some "privateering" (piracy)
Samantha
May 08, 2009 Samantha rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, ebook-own
I must say this was a pleasant surprise! I didn't quite know what to expect from a romance novel with the hero formerly a prostitute. There are so many pitfalls that could have happened with the characters, yet I found them intriguing. A lot of the time romance authors will paint a picture of the "painful past" that the hero/heroine has to help them overcome. Most of the time this occurs so quickly, with the wound healed so quickly it was like it never happened to begin with...

Gabriel is a man w
Mitzi
Gabriel St. Croix was abandoned as a child and raised in a brothel where he is forced into prostitution. When a young boy (Jamie) comes to live there, he acts as his protector.

Sarah Munroe has been looking for her younger brother for a long time. When she travels to the brothel to see if the boy is Jamie, she meets St. Croix and Jamie insists that he come home with them. Sarah feels that Gabriel is owed a new start in life at the very least for keeping her brother from being abused.

He enters in
Gaile
Apr 06, 2011 Gaile rated it it was amazing
Gabriel ST. Croix raised in the muck and mire of a brothel protects a young boy for four years until his family finds him. The boy's sister, Sarah Munroe insists Gabriel accompany them to help her brother, Jamie adjust. Although, Jamie adjusts just fine, Gabriel, who has long divorced his mind from his body has many devils to fight. Sarah's unconditional love brings him out of himself. He begins to trust and learns to love again. Gabriel doesn't want to be seen to take Sarah's fortune. He wants ...more
Meredith
Was this really published in 2008? That seems so unlikely.

This reads like the epic romances of the late 70s and early 80s-the book is written in a POV that makes everything that happens seem like it's one big montage...lots of telling, not so much showing, time moves forward in leaps and bounds with just the narrator giving you a heads up ("Meanwhile, three months later...").

James was certainly trying to one-up Kinsale's Shadow and the Star and JR Ward's book about Zsadist, and she does. Was it
Jena
This book ripped my still-beating heart out of my chest, put it back in, and repeated the procedure many times!

You know you're in for a great read, when you love the dedication and acknowledgements in a novel, and from the first sentence, "Broken Wing" soared! (sorry for the pun)

I love a vulnerable hero who keeps loving and hoping in spite of what he may suffer, and Gabriel is that in full measure! This story wounded me, because while this is fiction, the subject matter is not, and it makes me s
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
Broken Wing... much loved and recommended historical about Gabriel abandoned as a boy to a life in a brothel and his soulmate Sarah an unusual aristocratic woman of her time that doesn't quite fit in. Their journey to each other is fraught with misunderstandings, emotional baggage and a shipwreck at a most inopportune time. Thank goodness there is finally a HEA. This is one of the most angsty historicals I've read and although I liked it, can't say I absolutely loved it.

3.5 stars.
Nenya
Sep 24, 2014 Nenya rated it really liked it
Shelves: cheating-hero
(view spoiler) ...more
  • Conor's Way
  • Tapestry
  • Beau Crusoe
  • Winter Garden (Winter Garden #2)
  • Untouched
  • The Duke of Shadows
  • Her Ladyship's Companion
  • The Shadow and the Star (Victorian Hearts, #2)
  • Whispers of Heaven
  • The Sergeant's Lady (The Arringtons and Wright-Gordons, #2)
  • A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family, #2)
  • To Love a Thief
  • The Secret Pearl
  • The Price Of Desire
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • The Passions of Emma
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2)
Judith James, is an avid reader and history buff who grew up in Montreal Quebec. She is also a bit of an adventure junkie and has travelled, worked and lived many places, including the Arctic and several of the places she writes about. Variously employed as a trail guide, horse trainer, and clinical psychologist, she's had the opportunity to live out many of her dreams. She’s even found the perfec ...more
More about Judith James...

“I couldn't return to you, mignonne. I didn't know how. But you will admit, I hope, that for a man who didn't wish to be found I've made quite a spectacle of myself. I wanted you to hear of me. It's why I came from France. I couldn't stop myself. I've waited in dread, wondering if you'd come. I've been terrified you would, and terrified you wouldn't. When I saw you tonight I wanted to weep. I was so grateful you came, but I hated you for it, too, because you made me hope again, as you always have, as you always do. It would have killed me if. . . Ah, Christ, love! You were so angry, so disappointed but you'd waited. I had to know. I had to come because without you I have nothing to believe in, nothing to hope for, and... Oh, God, Sarah, when I got here you were wearing my shirt! I've thought of you, and ached for you, and missed you with every breath. All I know of loving, wanting or need, begins and ends with you. I'm so sorry I hurt you and disappointed you. I pray you can forgive me, Sarah. I need you to hold onto. Without you I find this business of living so very lonely and so very hard."

She threw herself into his arms and he clasped her to him, sobbing with relief and need. "God, how I've missed you, Sarah," he moaned, sliding his cheek up and down against hers, mingling their tears. I'm sorry ... so sorry .. . please forgive me, I.. . "There's nothing to forgive. It wasn't your fault. It doesn't matter, not any of it. All that matters is that you're safe, and well, and back in my arms. Don't be sorry, just hold me, love me.”
1 likes