Start by marking “The Winter Hero” as Want to Read:
The Winter Hero

The Winter Hero (Brother Sam trilogy)

Anxious to be a hero, a young boy relates how he becomes involved in Shays' Rebellion begun by farmers in western Massachusetts against unfair taxation levied on them by the Boston government.
Published September 1st 1985 by Scholastic (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Winter Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Winter Hero

Mary L.
Oct 15, 2015 Mary L. rated it it was amazing
I love James Lincoln Collier's young adult historical fiction. He really makes history come to life and shows how it never was just black and white, you're right and I'm wrong. He makes you think about how history applies to your life and this one applies today. To quote the main character: "And one last thing that we learned out of it was that if you don't take the trouble to vote your own representatives to the government, the government is likely to do a lot of things that you don't like.

The
Nick
Nov 30, 2011 Nick rated it it was amazing
wow talk about a ending that was CRAZY !!!!!!!!!!!!
Gale
THE PRICE OF FREEDOM

There are always literary challenges in writing historical fiction, including keeping dates and facts true to history, as well as the use of specialized or archaic vocabulary and expressions--all of which create an aura of authenticity to the dialogue. The Collier brothers have mastered these skills for their novels, mostof which are set in New England. Despite having won the Revolutionary War in the previous decade farmers and common folk in MA are not able to enjoy the pro
Patrick
Mar 22, 2010 Patrick rated it liked it
Laurie
Oct 16, 2016 Laurie rated it liked it
Typically when I try out a book which seems to be geared more toward a male adolescent, it winds up being "okay" but not great to me because it's really not my preference for reading. However, this book did hold my attention throughout the novel. It's about a young man living in our past history, the time being the revolutionary times. He becomes a part of Shays Rebellion not really for the cause but because he wants to be a hero like the family member he lives with.

This novel continually kept
Jim F.
Jul 27, 2016 Jim F. rated it it was amazing
My second book by these authors. I am Surprised that I enjoyed the story a great deal as I also learned of a part of history that I was previously unfamiliar with. I recommend this book for those interested in history and interested in a good story that brings light to our history.
Rebecca Radnor
paperback
Mary Follis
A young boy and his version of Shay's Rebellion--1786 & 1787.
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2007
Barbara Santos
Barbara Santos rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2012
Sarah rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2011
Cherie
Cherie rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2015
MrsMitchell
MrsMitchell rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2012
Brittany Wilder
Brittany Wilder rated it really liked it
May 27, 2012
Adele
Adele rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2016
Cleta V
Cleta V rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Eileen
Eileen rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2010
Jessica O'Leary
Jessica O'Leary rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2012
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
May 12, 2012
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2017
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2010
Gale
Gale rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2013
Beth Cain
Beth Cain rated it it was ok
Jun 18, 2014
Alika Kay
Alika Kay rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2012
C.S. Houghton
C.S. Houghton rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2012
Adriana Villafana
Adriana Villafana rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2011
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2008
Todd
Todd rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2012
Kirk
Kirk rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2014
Mitch
Mitch rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
James Lincoln Collier (born June 27, 1928) is a journalist, author, and professional musician.

Collier's notable literary works include My Brother Sam Is Dead (1974), a Newbery Honor book that was also named a Notable Children's Book by the American Library Association and nominated for a National Book Award in 1975. He also wrote a children's book titled The Empty Mirror (2004), The Teddy Bear Hab
More about James Lincoln Collier...

Brother Sam trilogy (3 books)
  • My Brother Sam Is Dead