Start by marking “The Poetical Works of Alfred, Lord Tennyson” as Want to Read:
The Poetical Works of Alfred, Lord Tennyson

The Poetical Works of Alfred, Lord Tennyson

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Although Tennyson (1809-1892) has often been characterised as an austere, bearded patriarch and laureate of the Victorian age, his poems speak clearly to the imagination of the late 20th century. His mastery of rhyme, metre, imagery and mood communicate their dark, sensuous and sometimes morbid messages. Much given to melancholy and feelings of aching desolation, Tennyson' ...more
Published 2005 by Adamant Media Corporation

To ask other readers questions about The Poetical Works of Alfred, Lord Tennyson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Poetical Works of Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Kim Johnson
Have not read this particular book, but have read his poems in collections and truly, he has a skill with words. He writes so beautifully, it's easy to lose the metaphorical meaning in his text, but it is a pleasure to go back and re-read his work, dissecting line for line.
Dottie
Tennyson was a presence throughout my school years -- and likely before that as my mother could refer to poems readily as did others in my immediate family. These were the standards, the classics and they wer taught and read. The language is grand -- and lovely to turn to from time to time.
Luke
Once again, I haven't read a fraction of what he wrote (one reason's 'cause for some reason the writers of the period wrote HUGE amounts of words, the other's that he wasn't my favorite).
Nikki
I really like Tennyson's poetry. I've studied various poems by him, including "The Kraken" and "The Eagle", and I liked reading more widely. I love the Arthurian stuff, in particular.
Sandy
May 07, 2012 Sandy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I actually own the edition that was published in 1872 by James R Osgood and Company. Found at an antiques auction in a box of miscellaneous old books that nobody wanted.
Sunita Ganapathy
A collection of the poems of Tennyson.

Including Early Poems - The Lady of shallot, English Idylls - Princess, and Elaine, amongst others.
David Delaney
Nov 03, 2011 David Delaney rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Poetry lovers
Recommended to David by: Gift from my Daughter
Though the edition I have is much older & fragile than this one & being a lover of poetry I thouroughly enjoyed my edition.
Tanya
Jul 02, 2011 Tanya marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
In two volumes, both of which appear to be original leather-bound editions.
K Gomez
Loved 'The Lady of Shallot' and a few others. Lovely rhythm.
Andrew Wickenkamp
read some of it. Enjoy it greatly
Tanya
1885 edition.
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Steven Meade
Steven Meade is currently reading it
Aug 15, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Lillian
Lillian marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Garth Mailman
Garth Mailman is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2015
Donovan Symeon
Donovan Symeon is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2015
Kellie
Kellie marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Rugby365
Rugby365 marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Gaurav Gautam
Gaurav Gautam marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
  • Selected Poetry and Prose
  • The Works of Algernon Charles Swinburne
  • The Works of John Donne (Poetry Library)
  • Works of William Blake
  • The works of John Keats
  • Collected Poems, 1934-1953
  • The Complete Poetical Works
  • Works of Samuel Taylor Coleridge
  • Selected Poems of Christina Rossetti (Wordsworth Poetry Library)
  • The Collected Poems of Rudyard Kipling
  • The Poems Of Wilfred Owen
  • Complete Works
  • Selected Poems, 1966-1987
  • Opus Posthumous: Poems, Plays, Prose
Alfred Tennyson was born in Somersby, Lincolnshire, the fourth of the twelve children of George Tennyson, clergyman, and his wife, Elizabeth. In 1816 Tennyson was sent to Louth Grammar School, which he disliked so intensely that from 1820 he was educated at home until at the age of 18 he joined his two brothers at Trinity College, Cambridge and with his brother Charles published his first book, Po ...more
More about Alfred Lord Tennyson...
The Lady of Shalott Idylls of the King Poetry (Norton Critical Editions) In Memoriam Selected Poems (Dover Thrift Editions)