Start by marking “The Poetical Works of Alfred, Lord Tennyson” as Want to Read:
The Poetical Works of Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Preview

The Poetical Works of Alfred, Lord Tennyson (Cambridge Editions)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  6,008 ratings  ·  36 reviews
The Norton Critical Edition of Tennyson's Poetry, Second Edition, represents a significant revision of its predecessor and assimilates the Tennyson scholarship of the last twenty-five years. The texts of the poems are based on the Eversley edition of Tennyson's Works (published in nine volumes, 1907-09). Under earlier interdiction, the significant Trinity College, Cambridg ...more
Published 2005 by Adamant Media Corporation (first published 1833)

To ask other readers questions about The Poetical Works of Alfred, Lord Tennyson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Poetical Works of Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Cassandra Kay Silva
What Tennyson lacks in concise language he makes up for in the beauty of these lyrical verses. The subject matters that this author chooses are all things that if I were to write poetry I would also choose. Gallantry and Chivarly of Knights and Princesses. King Arthur and his court. References to Greek Mythology and a constant fascination with death.
Divya
Tennyson,most representative poet of victorian age expresses the middle class through his poetry. Along with discipline & form, a sense of romantic values & lyricism are the special features of tennyson's poetry. Its beautiful!!!!
Padya
Despite all his sentiments & psychotic ideals, Tennyson is amazing. He inspires me to the deepest, and I think I'll go on to love him forever
Jamie
The plays and poems of Tennyson, spanning over 1,700 pages, reflect a diverse and creative mind. The works contain so many insightful messages on life and aging, like a father wanting to leave advice to his children, all preserved in time. The works that were my favorite follow:
- Memory
- I wander in darkness and sorrow
- We meet no more
- The passions
- How gaily sinks the gorgeous sun within his golden bed
- Love and death
- The two voices
- Youth
- The lord of Burleigh
- Lady Clare
- The talking oak
- I
Dreamer
School text that I rather enjoyed..
We cannot be kind to each other here for even an hour. We whisper, and hint, and chuckle and grin at our brother's shame; however you take it we men are a little breed.
- Alfred Lord Tennyson
Keith
Alfred Tennyson is, after Shakespeare and Chaucer, one of the most skilled craftsmen in the English language. He has a way of spinning beautifully memorable lines, such as these from Tithonus:

“Far-folded mists, and gleaming halls of morn.”

And …

“.... Arise
And shake the darkness from their loosened manes,
And beat the twilight into flakes of fire.”

As an avid reader of narrative and dramatic poetry, it’s no surprise that Tennyson is one of my favorite authors. He’s written many memorable poems suc
Kim Johnson
Have not read this particular book, but have read his poems in collections and truly, he has a skill with words. He writes so beautifully, it's easy to lose the metaphorical meaning in his text, but it is a pleasure to go back and re-read his work, dissecting line for line.
Sissi Schiegg-Zeiser
a classic and an impressing statue in Lincoln, UK.
Everyone Poops
I know people might want to throw rocks at me for asking, but am I alone in thinking Tennyson's poetry is mostly just an exercise in belletrism with little else to offer?

I'm fond of most other major Victorian poets (especially Browning and Rosetti), but Tennyson's work is a real thorn in my side. It's kind of like when I wash my white laundry. All the bright shiny stuff is made of up other Victorian poets. But Tennyson is the gross, almost-brown towel that I cleaned up puke and cat pee with.
Mii
This book is a great read!
Dottie
Tennyson was a presence throughout my school years -- and likely before that as my mother could refer to poems readily as did others in my immediate family. These were the standards, the classics and they wer taught and read. The language is grand -- and lovely to turn to from time to time.
Steve
It is hard for a soldier to not love The Charge of the Light Brigade. I love The Eagle, simple and elegant. The Kracken is great as well. I tend to fall with the critics who aren't fans of the Idylls of the King, but some portions are compelling.
Maureen
I like Tennyson, but probably because I really like the Victorian period, and the old British traditions it embodies. Still, poems like Crossing the Bar are memorable and worth reading.
Luke
Once again, I haven't read a fraction of what he wrote (one reason's 'cause for some reason the writers of the period wrote HUGE amounts of words, the other's that he wasn't my favorite).
Nikki
I really like Tennyson's poetry. I've studied various poems by him, including "The Kraken" and "The Eagle", and I liked reading more widely. I love the Arthurian stuff, in particular.
Sandy
May 07, 2012 Sandy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I actually own the edition that was published in 1872 by James R Osgood and Company. Found at an antiques auction in a box of miscellaneous old books that nobody wanted.
Joel
Easily my favorite Victorian poet. Christina Rossetti follows somewhere behind. This volume includes "Idylls of the King," "In Memoriam," "The Lady of Shallot," most others.
Ed
Currently working through "In Memoriam A.H.H." which is as great a poem as everyone in the world, from T.S. Eliot onwards, thinks.
David Delaney
Nov 03, 2011 David Delaney rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Poetry lovers
Recommended to David by: Gift from my Daughter
Though the edition I have is much older & fragile than this one & being a lover of poetry I thouroughly enjoyed my edition.
Albie
Tennyson's Poetry: Authoritative Texts, Contexts, Criticism (Norton Critical Editions) by Alfred Tennyson Tennyson, Baron (1999)
Mickey
For my Victorian lit grad seminar. Liked it better than Robert Browning's The Ring and the Book. (Classic lit)
Irene
I have only read some of his poems but they are fantastic beyond all expectations
Tanya
Jul 02, 2011 Tanya marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
In two volumes, both of which appear to be original leather-bound editions.
Natalie
I highly recommend Odysseus, The Lady of Shalott, and Crossing the Bar.
K Gomez
Loved 'The Lady of Shallot' and a few others. Lovely rhythm.
Bill Leachman
Ulysses is still my personal favorite though there are many others
Grant
"She took the dappled partridge flecked with blood,"
Rob
Wrote "Mariana" at 20. Wrote "Rizpah" at 70. Stayed sick.
Denyse
Because I was FORCED to inc school.........
Andrew Wickenkamp
read some of it. Enjoy it greatly
  • Robert Browning's Poetry
  • Poetry and Prose
  • The Complete Poems
  • Poetry and Designs: Authoritative Texts, Illuminations in Color and Monochrome, Related Prose, Criticism
  • The Complete Poems
  • The Works of William Wordsworth (Wordsworth Collection)
  • The Major Works
  • Selected Poems
  • The Complete English Poems
  • The Complete Poetical Works
  • Edmund Spenser's Poetry
  • Complete Poems of D. H. Lawrence (Wordsworth Poetry Library)
  • Poems and Prose
Alfred Tennyson, 1st Baron Tennyson, FRS (most commonly known as Alfred, Lord Tennyson) was Poet Laureate of the United Kingdom during much of Queen Victoria's reign and remains one of the most popular English-language poets. He is particularly known for his polished style and exact understanding of metre.
More about Alfred Tennyson...
The Lady of Shalott Idylls of the King In Memoriam Selected Poems (Dover Thrift Editions) Tennyson: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)

“She saw the snowy poles of moonless Mars, That marvellous round of milky light Below Orion, and those double stars Whereof the one more bright

Is circled by the other”
5 likes