Start by marking “Weeds in Bloom: Autobiography of an Ordinary Man” as Want to Read:
Weeds in Bloom: Autobiography of an Ordinary Man

Weeds in Bloom: Autobiography of an Ordinary Man

With over 65 books published, including the breathtaking (and somewhat autobiographical) A Day No Pigs Would Die, Robert Newton Peck has enjoyed an illustrious writing career. Now, in an autobiography as unique as he is, Peck tells his story through the people in his life. From his roots as a poor Vermont farmer’s son to his years as a soldier in World War II, from his tim ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Published July 8th 2009 by Laurel Leaf (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Weeds in Bloom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weeds in Bloom

Sharon
Jun 24, 2012 Sharon added it
Short, pleasant and readable memoir without being saccharine. Robert Newton Peck comes off as an opinionated old coot, and I doubt he would disagree with that assessment. The characters he describes are vivid and memorable. Makes me eager to read his fiction again.
jimtown
Jul 22, 2016 jimtown rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, autobiography
I picked this autobiography up at the library the other day and I think it's going to prove to be a lyrical lesson in the written word. I read the introduction last night and it was so delightful, something that needs to be savored and sucked on like a candy to prolong the sweetness of it.

I'd read one of Peck's books, a long time ago, called A Day No Pigs Would Die. I don't know why I picked it up but despite it's blatant, almost startling descriptions of life on the farm, I enjoyed it so much a
Conan Tigard
Nov 13, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed the story of the life and times of Robert Newton Peck. Was his youth a hard one? Yes? Is he a good man? Oh, yes. Has he met a lot of interesting people in his life? Most definitely yes. Were they people that stand out as people that everyone should meet? Not necessarily because we would view them differently because of who we are. But in the eyes of Robert, they are something special. And he shares those people in this book. Who is Robert? For one, he is a writer, but he is also ...more
Melody
Sep 06, 2012 Melody rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
This was a lovely little book. I read my copy of A Day No Pigs Would Die to tatters, and I read a couple of the Soup books, but somehow failed to pick up anything else by Peck. This is a little book of reminiscences, of people and jobs and places that have contributed his life, but I wouldn't call it an autobiography by any stretch. Parts of it made me tear up, especially the parts with old dogs. Some of it was almost too folksy, but I'm a city slicker. Well worth reading.
Patty
Mar 16, 2009 Patty rated it it was amazing
A nicely written, simple book full of the common sense and wisdom learned from those that aren't normally considered "learned." Every chapter is a story about a different person the author has had contact with in his life. Very easy read and well worth the time.
Jen
Apr 19, 2013 Jen rated it it was amazing
An excellent read. More about the people he's met than about himself. Interesting characters from rural settings - real people that shaped his life and he'll never forget.

Short book - each chapter about someone new.
Lois
Aug 22, 2012 Lois rated it liked it
I enjoy his writing, and it was good to see a bit of what had inspiried him in his life, and how he researched his characters and places.
Bonnie Terry
May 25, 2012 Bonnie Terry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Mr. Peck has reached into the raw, slimy meat of humanity and brought out the pearls. In these humorus and sometimes soul wrenching portraits of his fellow man, Mr. Peck reveals his own rich history.
Joyce
Joyce rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2010
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2015
Alex Siegel
Alex Siegel rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2011
jason kast
jason kast rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2014
Walter
Walter rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2014
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2015
kathy saunders
kathy saunders rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Rebecca Thomas
Rebecca Thomas rated it liked it
May 01, 2014
Don  Estes
Don Estes rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2015
Royalene
Royalene rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2015
Erik B. Christensen
Erik B. Christensen rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2016
Roberto Sella
Roberto Sella rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2015
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
May 14, 2009
Todd Ryan
Todd Ryan rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2013
Donalyn
Donalyn rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2008
Nainesh Jadwani
Nainesh Jadwani rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2014
Angel
Angel rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2013
Anna Scheunemann
Anna Scheunemann rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2013
Todd Ryan
Todd Ryan rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2014
Ryan Hansen
Ryan Hansen rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2014
Rachael
Rachael rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2009
ah
Sep 13, 2014 ah rated it liked it
it was unusual
but I really liked it
and I like the title as well.
worth reading.
From Wikipedia--

Robert Newton Peck is an American author of books for young adults. His titles include Soup and A Day No Pigs Would Die. He claims to have been born on February 17, 1928, in Vermont, but has refused to specify where. Similarly, he claims to have graduated from a high school in Texas, which he has also refused to identify. Some sources state that he was born in Nashville, Tennessee
More about Robert Newton Peck...