Start by marking “Colman (Doran, #3)” as Want to Read:
Colman (Doran, #3)

Colman (Doran #3)

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,108 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Set in very early Christian times, Colman is a spellbinding fantasy of a faraway age, when the mystical and the commonplace walked hand in hand. The healer, Juniper, and her apprentice, Wise Child, are accused of witchcraft and forced to flee their small town. Wise Child’s devoted cousin, Colman, escapes with them. This is his story of their arrival to the land of Juniper’ ...more
Published February 24th 2004 by Random House (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Colman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Colman

Juushika
The sequel to Wise Child and Juniper, Colman follows the lives of these three characters as they flee from Wise Child’s childhood home to Juniper’s childhood home of Cornwall, only to find Juniper’s aunt has murdered her parents, the king and queen, and taken her brother, the prince, as a prisoner. Wise Child and Colman, with the help of the leper Cormac, must infiltrate the enemy stronghold, discover the prince’s affiliation, and find a way to rescue the prince and the kingdom by defeating Mero ...more
Lia
Jun 14, 2008 Lia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
The third book following Wise Child and Juniper. Furlong wrote it while she was dying of cancer. I think it was written as a distraction and was not intended for publication. The characters and ideas are weak to non-existant, and the plot is harried and unrewarding. It is not a good read and a bad ending to the first two books. I think it is more of a reflection on how hopeless she was feeling as her struggle with cancer was drawing to a close. This book was published posthumously.
Taylor
I love this series -- Juniper, Wise Child, and Colman -- but I love many of the books in this world that make herbalists, wise women, and dorans out to be ordinary people that can do special things. I want to be a doran when I grow up. This book could be excellently used with a young man who is in his coming-of-age process.
Joey
May 13, 2016 Joey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What.
The.
Heck?

First there was Wise Child, a marvelous book of witchy magic! Then there was Juniper, the prequel, a world of the strange and the mystical.
And then came Colman like a chunk of.. well coal, man.

What happened?
The story is choppy and silly and basically a third rate children's adventure similar to getting into a bath of tepid water after a long, hard day. Just in no way satisfying!
Characters will put you off your tea and the whole thing is a bit like my favourite pencil - pointless.

Ju
Clare Fitzgerald
Jul 27, 2014 Clare Fitzgerald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After nine years, I have finally gotten around to reading Monica Furlong’s Colman, the third and final book in her Wise Child series. Wise Child was one of my favorite books when I was a young wannabe-witch (as opposed to now, when I am an old wannabe-witch), but I always thought of it as a stand-alone (mostly because it was during the period when I was rereading it frequently) so Colman was never really on my radar as a real thing. But after I reread Juniper earlier this year, I figured it was ...more
Danni Green
Aug 03, 2015 Danni Green rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was delighted to read this book for the first time, having read Wise Child and Juniper over and over as a child. The characters grew more and more believable as the book went on, and it was wonderful to journey back into this fictional world and experience it through another character's perspective. There were a couple of characters from the previous books who did not reappear in the final book, which was disappointing; I was really hoping to find out what became of them! I loved how each char ...more
Madeleine
This is the third in a series - read the first 2 as a kid and then noticed this the other day and decided to see if I like it (plus it's finals...which means reading YA lit is my procrastination tool of choice).

I don't like it near as well as the first 2, but it's nice to finally get the ending...I always felt like the second book was a really dumb way to "end" things!

Nicole
Mar 26, 2008 Nicole rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I tried to read this, but it was so horribly written that I just couldn't get through it. It's such a disappointment in contrast to "wise child" and "juniper". I can't even believe it was written by the same person. Very weird.
Caitlín (Ink Mage)
I liked this book all right, but "liked it" is all. It did not amaze me or keep me eagerly reading like the first two, but it was nice to know what happened to Juniper, Wise Child, Colman, and Finbar.
Torie
Jul 17, 2013 Torie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My least favorite of the trilogy. This was her last book, I believe, and like the way I feel about my beloved Angela Carter, I am so sad I will never read a new book of hers again!
Morag
Mar 13, 2008 Morag rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the other 2 of it's series. I had to struggle through it. I did love getting the back story for the main characters.
Thespian999
Jul 11, 2008 Thespian999 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think that I would like this book until the very end. This was the last book that Monica Furlong ever wrote. It's worth reading.
Emily
Dec 22, 2007 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: herbalists, children, fantasy-lovers
my least favorite of the trilogy, but still good--only wish i had discovered these as a little girl making them all the more magical!
Austenite
Feb 17, 2008 Austenite rated it liked it
A pretty satisfying ending to the "Wise Child" series, though not quite as satisfying as the original.
Hippymomma
Dec 10, 2007 Hippymomma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
my least favorite of the trilogy - but it does finish it off....
Danica
Feb 23, 2008 Danica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
liked it a lot...more exciting and better than Wise Child, i thought.
Stephanie
QuincyK
I mean - I enjoyed knowing the continued story of Wise Child and Juniper. But I wasn't as attached to these characters and in some ways, I thought it was too much of a return to Juniper's story. I would have wanted to read Wise Child come into her own, just as reading first Juniper and then Wise Child, we see Juniper grow and become a teacher.

Essentially, there was less "inner journey" aspects to this book and didn't grab me as much.

The plot is fairly strong, and the agency of the young charact
Roewoof
Before I get into reviewing this particular novel, I want to point out that I love this series. This is my favorite series in the whole wide world, with Juniper being one of my favorite fantasy books ever written.

But, Colman disappointed me. There was something missing in the writing of this novel that was present in Juniper or Wise Child. Everything felt rushed, and I feel as if the writing about magic, and the wonder that was so obvious and lovingly handled in the first two books, was not pre
Rose Heartfilia
And here we go again talking about the book I love most. I think that compared to the other two I love this one the most. It is the best way to describe the characters to see what they would do in times of panic and fear.

Though there is one thing I actually hate. I think Finbar get's a bit ignored at the end of the book. I mean he was the one who got the weapons and everything but he is not descriped at the battle which I think is were he should be too.

I always thought that in the end Juniper sa
Rhapsody
May 11, 2009 Rhapsody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Monica Furlong readers
Ashley
Aug 03, 2009 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: want-to-own
This book is a solid 4 star read. Although I really enjoyed this book, it is not as solid a read as the two books that come before it, Juniper and Wise Child. Both the other books could be read to stand alone. Although the story is obviously richer when you read both of them, they make sense apart, and stand alone wonderfully. Colman, however, does not. If you have not read Juniper and Wise Child, much of Colman would be lost to you. Although it could still be an enjoyable enough read on its own ...more
Jocelyn
Kinda wish for more, but probably good she didn't kill the story with a lengthy series. There were some chronology errors from the first book to this one that annoyed me, but not too bad. Good ending to a cute trilogy.
Wealhtheow
Aug 07, 2007 Wealhtheow rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Published posthumously, this is the sequel to Wise Child. When Wise Child and Juniper are accused of witchcraft by their village, they escape with Finbar, Cormac and Colman and travel to Juniper’s homeland, where she lived first as a spoiled princess and then as an apprentice under Euny. Juniper’s previously happy country suffers under the rule of Meroot and the Grey Knight. Juniper and her friends join her countrymen in overthrowing the tyrannical rule. Unlike the first two books in the series ...more
Aug 16, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Monica Furlong's "Juniper" and "Wise Child" were two of my favorite books as a child, but somehow I missed that there was a third book, "Colman" -- until recently.

I finally got to read this companion piece this year, and while it was wonderful to revisit beloved characters, it felt very much like the third in a trilogy, mostly there to wrap up the first two books and to better set up the future of the characters. So while I loved it, I loved it on the merits of the first two. Had I never learned
Marissa
Aug 05, 2011 Marissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
A satisfying conclusion to the trilogy about Wise Child and Juniper, Colman gives us updates on many characters from the previous books and shows what happened with Juniper's family and kingdom. The one aspect I was disappointed about was that I would have liked to see, or at least hear of, would be what happened with Gamal and where Juniper's owl - whether it be Moon or a new friend - was. Otherwise, this was a very good culmination of what the trilogy has been building to, as it relates to the ...more
pi
Dec 04, 2014 pi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite the various poor reviews of this book, I rather liked it a lot. It is obvious in a non-irritating way the spots where Monica Furlong would have expanded certain sentences that are sort of point-blank in description into something a little less-said and magically enchanting. After reading Wise Child and Juniper, it was easy to forgive and imagine these unfinished portions.

All in all, I found it a captivating book. A satisfactory conclusion to the series, particularly after the poor wrap-u
Abby
Jul 06, 2014 Abby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this one much more upon re-reading than when it was first published.
Allanna
Apr 20, 2009 Allanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe that it's taken me this long to (1) find and (2) READ the final book in this trilogy.

I originally read the first book, Wise Child when I was in fifth grade. The second book, the prequel Juniper, I read a few years later ... by Jr. High. I was unaware for five years that Furlong had written a final book.
Caleb
May 09, 2015 Caleb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Characters from the first book battle villains from the second book. I like reading the light kid fantasy, but, meh.
  • Memoirs of a Bookbat
  • De Stomme van Kampen
  • Misschien wisten zij alles: 313 verhalen over de eekhoorn en de andere dieren
  • Soezie Boebie
  • The Dalemark Quartet, Vol. 2: The Spellcoats & The Crown of Dalemark (The Dalemark Quartet, #3-4)
  • Geheimen van het Wilde Woud
  • The Mennyms (Mennyms, #1)
  • Otje
  • Akimbo and the Baboons (Akimbo)
  • The Lion Hunter (The Lion Hunters, #4)
  • The Complete Tales of Lucy Gold
  • The Softwire: Wormhole Pirates on Orbis 3
  • Quest for a Maid
  • The Silver Ship and the Sea (The Silver Ship, #1)
Obituary from The Guardian, Friday January 17 2003
by Michael De-la-Noy

Monica Furlong, who has died of cancer aged 72, would have achieved distinction through her writings alone. But she was always on the lookout for good causes to espouse, and once she had thrown in her lot with the Movement for the Ordination of Women, and with the aims of secular feminism in general, she became to many women - a
More about Monica Furlong...

Doran (3 books)