The Anne of Green Gables Cookbook

The Anne of Green Gables Cookbook

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Inspired by the most famous of all Canadian children's books, L.M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables,this cookbook combines easy step-by-step recipes with charming watercolours of Anne and her friends and quotations from three of the ever-popular Anne books. Never before have good things to eat and drink been so successfully derived from cooking episodes in children's lite...more
Published June 25th 1987 by Oxford University Press, USA

Jenne
I, at the grand old age of 32, was a little disappointed that this book contained only a few recipes, as a lot of eating goes on in the Anne books. I was particularly looking for Susan Baker's Silver and Gold cake as the idea of this cake always fascinates me when I re-read Rainbow Valley and it was not included. (I actually found the recipe online today @ http://www.lmm-anne.net/archives/2008...)

However, this would be an excellent for children first learning to cook and bake. I love that each...more
Tasia
Alright, so, I don't remember making anything out of this book other than raspberry cordial, and I DO remember that going very well. Other than that, this was part of my childhood, flipping through the pages and asking mom if we could make a cake or something. I think we made the pound cake? But again, I can't be sure. Overall, a fun book to have. Most of the rating comes from sentimentality. Like other reviewers have said, there's a lot of cooking that goes on in this series which doesn't make...more
Penny McGill
If you are thinking of hosting an Anne-themed birthday party, a fun summer celebration, a tea party to be thankful for the change of seasons,perhaps the naming of your favourite dryad then this cookbook is a must have. The recipe in here for raspberry cordial is absolutely perfect and guarantees a good party. You might even make a batch and keep it on a dark shelf in your kitchen pantry.
Shayna
I like some of the recipes but I was hoping it would be more like the Little House cookbook with accurate historic recipes but in there original context.
Angela
Recently made the second recipe I've done from this book and so far so good. The previous I had made was a yummy moist pound cake. This last one was called Cowcumbers. Chicken pasta salad, w mayo n celery n carrot in cucumbers that are hollowed out. Really good.
Stefani Gleave
i have read this book before but i allways like to read my books twice i dont know why but i sure do like it a little bit more because then i know what is going on. very good book.
Krunge
I was hoping for something a little more authentic to cook practices during that time period. I'm fairly certain they did not have paper towels, plastic bags, or microwaves.
Lisa
This is a darling cookbook, but be prepared! Most of the recipes are authentic to the time period, and the chocolate caramels will NOT be what you are expecting! :)
Carisa
Cute little book. Probably would have ADORED it when I was about 13/14. I grew up loving Anne of Green Gables. I still plan on making raspberry cordial!
Beka
I read this as a kid, so I don't really remember that much. It's a cute book designed to let you cook some of the dishes mentioned in the book.
Mary
Mar 20, 2011 Mary added it
Shelves: caoimhe, food
LOVE this book! It has Marilla's plum pudding (mouse optional) and Diana's drunken raspberry cordial.
Kristen
Quotes from Anne books and recipes based on scenes from books. We tried the caramel pudding.
Rose Ann
I wish they would bring out a newer edition.
Donna
My all time favorite!
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Jul 02, 2014
Daisy
Daisy marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
De Williams
De Williams marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
De Williams
De Williams marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Tenial
Tenial marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
John Buchan: A Companion to the Mystery Fiction Reassessing John Buchan: Beyond The Thirty Nine Steps The Masculine Middlebrow, 1880-1950: What Mr. Miniver Read The Politics of Global Supply Chains The Transitioner's Handbook