The Anne of Green Gables Cookbook

The Anne of Green Gables Cookbook

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Inspired by the most famous of all Canadian children's books, L.M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables,this cookbook combines easy step-by-step recipes with charming watercolours of Anne and her friends and quotations from three of the ever-popular Anne books. Never before have good things to eat and drink been so successfully derived from cooking episodes in children's lite...more
Published June 25th 1987 by Oxford University Press, USA

Jenne
I, at the grand old age of 32, was a little disappointed that this book contained only a few recipes, as a lot of eating goes on in the Anne books. I was particularly looking for Susan Baker's Silver and Gold cake as the idea of this cake always fascinates me when I re-read Rainbow Valley and it was not included. (I actually found the recipe online today @ http://www.lmm-anne.net/archives/2008...)

However, this would be an excellent for children first learning to cook and bake. I love that each...more
Tasia
Alright, so, I don't remember making anything out of this book other than raspberry cordial, and I DO remember that going very well. Other than that, this was part of my childhood, flipping through the pages and asking mom if we could make a cake or something. I think we made the pound cake? But again, I can't be sure. Overall, a fun book to have. Most of the rating comes from sentimentality. Like other reviewers have said, there's a lot of cooking that goes on in this series which doesn't make...more
Shayna
I like some of the recipes but I was hoping it would be more like the Little House cookbook with accurate historic recipes but in there original context.
Angela
Recently made the second recipe I've done from this book and so far so good. The previous I had made was a yummy moist pound cake. This last one was called Cowcumbers. Chicken pasta salad, w mayo n celery n carrot in cucumbers that are hollowed out. Really good.
Krunge
I was hoping for something a little more authentic to cook practices during that time period. I'm fairly certain they did not have paper towels, plastic bags, or microwaves.
Lisa
This is a darling cookbook, but be prepared! Most of the recipes are authentic to the time period, and the chocolate caramels will NOT be what you are expecting! :)
Beka
I read this as a kid, so I don't really remember that much. It's a cute book designed to let you cook some of the dishes mentioned in the book.
Mary
Mar 20, 2011 Mary added it
Shelves: caoimhe, food
LOVE this book! It has Marilla's plum pudding (mouse optional) and Diana's drunken raspberry cordial.
Kristen
Quotes from Anne books and recipes based on scenes from books. We tried the caramel pudding.
Rose Ann
I wish they would bring out a newer edition.
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Lady Entropy
Lady Entropy marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Rilla
Rilla added it
Feb 10, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Anne Banks
Anne Banks marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Brenna
Brenna marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2013
Angela added it
Jul 16, 2013
Bmbednar
Bmbednar marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2013
Lydia
Lydia marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2013
Fedra Asadkhani
Fedra Asadkhani marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2013
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
May 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
John Buchan: A Companion to the Mystery Fiction Reassessing John Buchan: Beyond The Thirty Nine Steps The Politics of Global Supply Chains Fair Trade, Corporate Accountability and Beyond: Experiments in Globalizing Justice New Visions for Market Governance: Crisis and Renewal