Start by marking “The Anne of Green Gables Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Anne of Green Gables Cookbook

The Anne of Green Gables Cookbook

Inspired by the most famous of all Canadian children's books, L.M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables,this cookbook combines easy step-by-step recipes with charming watercolours of Anne and her friends and quotations from three of the ever-popular Anne books. Never before have good things to eat and drink been so successfully derived from cooking episodes in children's lite ...more
Published June 25th 1987 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about The Anne of Green Gables Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Anne of Green Gables Cookbook

Rose Ann
I wish they would bring out a newer edition.
Jun 06, 2012 Jenne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, non-fiction
I, at the grand old age of 32, was a little disappointed that this book contained only a few recipes, as a lot of eating goes on in the Anne books. I was particularly looking for Susan Baker's Silver and Gold cake as the idea of this cake always fascinates me when I re-read Rainbow Valley and it was not included. (I actually found the recipe online today @

However, this would be an excellent for children first learning to cook and bake. I love that each
Sep 22, 2013 Tasia rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Alright, so, I don't remember making anything out of this book other than raspberry cordial, and I DO remember that going very well. Other than that, this was part of my childhood, flipping through the pages and asking mom if we could make a cake or something. I think we made the pound cake? But again, I can't be sure. Overall, a fun book to have. Most of the rating comes from sentimentality. Like other reviewers have said, there's a lot of cooking that goes on in this series which doesn't make ...more
Penny McGill
If you are thinking of hosting an Anne-themed birthday party, a fun summer celebration, a tea party to be thankful for the change of seasons,perhaps the naming of your favourite dryad then this cookbook is a must have. The recipe in here for raspberry cordial is absolutely perfect and guarantees a good party. You might even make a batch and keep it on a dark shelf in your kitchen pantry.
Oct 10, 2008 Shayna rated it liked it
I like some of the recipes but I was hoping it would be more like the Little House cookbook with accurate historic recipes but in there original context.
Oct 05, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, own
Recently made the second recipe I've done from this book and so far so good. The previous I had made was a yummy moist pound cake. This last one was called Cowcumbers. Chicken pasta salad, w mayo n celery n carrot in cucumbers that are hollowed out. Really good.
Feb 07, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it
This is a darling cookbook, but be prepared! Most of the recipes are authentic to the time period, and the chocolate caramels will NOT be what you are expecting! :)
Stefani Gleave
Sep 01, 2010 Stefani Gleave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i have read this book before but i allways like to read my books twice i dont know why but i sure do like it a little bit more because then i know what is going on. very good book.
Nov 04, 2013 Carisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute little book. Probably would have ADORED it when I was about 13/14. I grew up loving Anne of Green Gables. I still plan on making raspberry cordial!
Mar 20, 2011 Mary added it
Shelves: food, caoimhe
LOVE this book! It has Marilla's plum pudding (mouse optional) and Diana's drunken raspberry cordial.
Meg Tessensohn
Jun 16, 2016 Meg Tessensohn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely companion while reading the Anne of Green Gable series. Enjoyed making some of these recipes and a spot of tea. Kids to adults will enjoy this little treasure.
Aug 23, 2011 Krunge rated it did not like it
I was hoping for something a little more authentic to cook practices during that time period. I'm fairly certain they did not have paper towels, plastic bags, or microwaves.
Jan 18, 2012 Beka rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I read this as a kid, so I don't really remember that much. It's a cute book designed to let you cook some of the dishes mentioned in the book.
Anne Boesiger
Anne Boesiger rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
Gail rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2008
Sabra rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2011
Rachael rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Annalee rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2013
Michelle rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2011
Jennie Lanz
Jennie Lanz rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2014
Dianne rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2014
Rachel Mantas
Rachel Mantas rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2016
Bethany rated it it was ok
Jun 12, 2011
Afsaneh rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2008
Cyn Rendon
Cyn Rendon rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2013
Rebekah rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2012
Grace Snow
Grace Snow rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2008
Hannah rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2013
Amy Gray
Amy Gray rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Narnia Cookbook: Foods from C. S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia
  • The Secret Garden Cookbook: Recipes Inspired by Frances Hodgson Burnett's THE SECRET GARDEN
  • The Winnie-the-Pooh Cookbook
  • Roald Dahl's Even More Revolting Recipes
  • Green Eggs and Ham Cookbook
  • The Jane Austen Cookbook
  • Fairy Tale Feasts: A Literary Cookbook for Young Readers and Eaters
  • The Nancy Drew Cookbook: Clues to Good Cooking (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #0)
  • The Alice in Wonderland Cookbook: A Culinary Diversion
  • The Redwall Cookbook
  • Cherry Cake and Ginger Beer: A Golden Treasury of Classic Treats
  • The Tasha Tudor Cookbook: Recipes and Reminiscences from Corgi Cottage
  • The Little House Cookbook: Frontier Foods from Laura Ingalls Wilder's Classic Stories
  • The Nero Wolfe Cookbook