Start by marking “Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor” as Want to Read:
Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor

Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor

The Cake Mix Doctor goes chocolate! Anne Byrn brings her proven prescription for doctoring cake mix to an ingredient that inspires love bordering on obsession. It's a marriage made in baker's heaven-150 all-new, all-easy recipes for cakes, starring the ingredient that surpasses all other flavors, including vanilla, by a 3-to-1 margin, and that Americans consume to the tune ...more
Published October 1st 2001 by Workman Publishing Company (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Several years ago I bought this cookbook on a whim, and tonight when I was looking for a way to "doctor" up a boxed cake mix I bought at the market today, I immediately grabbed this book! Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor is a great go-to cookbook, loaded with recipes, tips and tricks to take any boxed cake mix from mundane to magnificent with very little effort.

In the front you'll find a few pages with pictures of each recipe, along with the page number. The rest of the book is divided into s
M. E.
Aug 28, 2016 M. E. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baking
So this is my favored that's why I saved it for last. This is a terrific follow-up to The Cake Mix Doctor. This time around though, the recipes focus on a broader variety of desserts that can be made from chocolate cake and brownie mixes. Making a few simple substitutions and/or additions to a basic chocolate cake or brownie mix can give you a dessert that will silence most "cake mix doubters". No one will believe the Triple Decker Chocolate Raspberry Cake began with a mix! This time, Chocolate ...more
Carrie Chaney
Feb 24, 2011 Carrie Chaney rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginning bakers, busy bakers
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is a road map to chocolate heaven. The icing on the cake is that each recipe is born from a cake mix box. The frostings (which are the only things in the boook that are completely homemade) are devine, and the cakes are delicious add-in concoctions that make you wonder" "Why did I never think of this?"
Keri
Nov 10, 2011 Keri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010s-read, reviewed
There are some amazing cakes in here. I made the Chocolate Midnight Cake (Devil's food cake with White Chocolate icing) It was so good and turned out very beautiful.
Stephanie Ludi
Feb 15, 2008 Stephanie Ludi rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome. You don't read it per se since it is a cookbook, but I have used it many times for use at home and for taking to parties. I like this book due to its focus on chocolate and I found that it does repeat recipes from the original cake doctor book.
Amber
Dec 27, 2013 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite cake recipe in the world: "pumpkin chocolate spice cake with cinnamon-chocolate cream cheese frosting". Sara made the frosting with Grand Marnier. Simply the best cake in the history of ever.
Judy
Jan 21, 2008 Judy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-books
I think this series is a must have for emergency desserts. You take a cake mix and add in some stuff- puff a great dessert. Not quite what you would call a die hard baking creation, but who has time for those all the time.
Msstacylynn Turner
Sep 13, 2009 Msstacylynn Turner rated it it was amazing
Definatly a must have for chocoholics.. a great addition to the Cake Doctor collection
Dorothy
Oct 08, 2014 Dorothy rated it really liked it
Good, but recipes were a little more involved than I thought they would be.
Jovita Salinas
Dec 08, 2011 Jovita Salinas rated it it was ok
has good ideas, but most of them are in the first book.
Jessica
Jan 07, 2010 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
A must for chocoholics like myself, or just cake fans. All kinds of chocolate desserts, starting with that same simple cake mix. Plus tips about baking, cakes, and chocolate.
Mary Lynn
Dec 30, 2013 Mary Lynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I f you ever need a cake in a jiffy this is your book. I received many compliments on two of the cakes from this book.
Lisa Hartjes
Oct 11, 2011 Lisa Hartjes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third of Ann Byrn's books we own and we love it as much as we do the others. The Black Russian cake is a family favorite!
Beth
Jun 12, 2012 Beth rated it liked it
I don't use this book as much as the first one but it's still a keeper.
Y. Singleton
Y. Singleton rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2013
Fran
Fran rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2008
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2009
Nita Hulbert
Nita Hulbert rated it really liked it
May 13, 2016
Natalie Clark
Natalie Clark rated it it was ok
Dec 16, 2016
Mallory
Mallory rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2014
Cathy
Cathy rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2008
Christine B. Hardy
Christine B. Hardy rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Jan McCracken
Jan McCracken rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2012
Michele
Michele rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2008
Marilyn Berger
Marilyn Berger rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2015
Kenah Williams
Kenah Williams rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
D Allen
D Allen rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2016
Colleen
Colleen rated it really liked it
May 02, 2013
Robyn & Noel Love
Robyn & Noel Love rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
Leslie Parkerson
Leslie Parkerson rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2014
  • Emeril's TV Dinners: Kickin' It Up A Notch With Recipes From Emeril Live And Essence Of Emeril
  • The Lady & Sons, Too!: A Whole New Batch of Recipes from Savannah
  • The Taste of Home Baking Book
  • Top Secret Recipes: Creating Kitchen Clones of America's Favorite Brand-Name Foods
  • Mrs. Fields Cookie Book: 100 Recipes from the Kitchen of Mrs. Fields
  • How to Bake: Complete Guide to Perfect Cakes, Cookies, Pies, Tarts, Breads, Pizzas, Muffins,
  • Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations
  • The Confetti Cakes Cookbook: Spectacular Cookies, Cakes, and Cupcakes from New York City's Famed Bakery
  • The King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary Cookbook: All the joy and variety of baking-the experience and tradition of America's most historic flour company
  • Fannie Farmer Baking Book
  • 500 Cupcakes: The Only Cupcake Compendium You'll Ever Need (500 Series Cookbooks)
  • The Lee Bros. Simple Fresh Southern: Knockout Dishes with Down-Home Flavor
  • 101 Things to Do with a Cake Mix
  • Cake Love: How to Bake Cakes from Scratch
  • The Book Club Cookbook
  • All Cakes Considered: A Year's Worth of Weekly Recipes Tested, Tasted, and Approved by the Staff of NPR's All Things Considered
  • Country Living The Farm Chicks in the Kitchen: Live Well, Laugh Often, Cook Much
  • The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook