Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #1)

Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  83,524 ratings  ·  2,984 reviews

There are six things very wrong with my life:

1. I have one of those under-the-skin spots that will never come to a head but lurk in a red way for the next two years.

2. It is on my nose

3. I have a three-year-old sister who may have peed somewhere in my room.

4. In fourteen days the summer hols will be over and then it will be back to Stalag 14 and Oberfuhrer Frau Simpson and

Published May 31st 2000 by Harper Teen (first published June 24th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Giver by Lois Lowry
Best Young Adult Books
169th out of 8,962 books — 56,814 voters
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay AsherThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskySpeak by Laurie Halse AndersonLooking for Alaska by John Green
Best Teen Books About Real Problems
60th out of 1,709 books — 9,492 voters

More lists with this book...

Tatiana
Aug 22, 2010 Tatiana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those in need of a good laugh
As seen on The Readventurer

There are times when I just HAVE to read something to perk me up, something light and silly and mindless. Louise Rennison's books always do the trick. It doesn't hurt either that this first book in Confessions of Georgia Nicolson series is a winner of Printz Honor, proving that even the silliest story about make-up, boys, and snogging can be written brilliantly. Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging never takes itself seriously or tries to teach some kind of moral le...more
Megan
Hillariosity! This is another book, from the brits, that people either love or hate. I happen to love this series, and laughed so hard I actually cried. I think people who hate this book are turned off by the main character Georgia. She is vain, self centered, hormonal, ridiculous and, I think, absolutely fabulous. This is the first of a series and we are introduced to her mad little sister libby, her feral cat Angus, her Mum and Dad, and group of silly girlfriends. It's written as a diary and a...more
Kat Kennedy
Jul 01, 2010 Kat Kennedy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any female who has gone through an awkward puberty
Recommended to Kat Kennedy by: Tatiana
I don't have much to say about this book other than at many points this book was more than hilarious! It was hysterical!

The writing was quite good and the protagonist was interesting. She was the typical epitome of most teenage girls on the cusp between childhood and adulthood.

I felt it dragged on a bit toward the end. Over all though, it was funny, interesting and most of all, enjoyable.

Big thanks to Tatiana for recommending it to me!
Sara
I got to the point where I couldn't read this book during silent reading time in my class, it made me laugh so hard. I'm not an easy touch for this type of humor - slapstick and outrageous. ATFFS, however, made me laugh so hard, I snorted. The epistolary nature of the narrative adds so much to the plot. A snippet about a girl who accidentally-on-purpose shaves off her eyebrows is cringingly amusing, but when it's told in five or six installments, each a few minutes apart, and that snippet weaves...more
Ellis
10:34 am

I feel like yelling at him. "I am fourteen years old, Uncle Eddie! I am bursting with womanhood, I wear a bra! It's a bit on the loose side and does ride up round my neck if I run for the bus ... but the womanly potential is here, you bald coot."
Good stuff. Huh, I don't think I've ever worn a training bra. I must be an embarrassment to the sort.

10:36 am

3. I have a three-year-old sister who may have peed somewhere in my room. I miss my sister. She was supposed to come home today but appar...more
Litchick (is stuck in the 19th century)
I recommend not reading this book in public. Or when you're on your lunch break and still in your office, or in my case cubicle. Early on there's a list in the book and in said list is the main characters' concern that her three year old sister might have peed somewhere in her room. It caught me completely off guard and while trying to block my laughter I ended up snorting so loud that the person on the other side of my cubicle wall came over to see if I needed the Heimlich maneuver.

Bonnie
Never would I have thought I'd enjoy reading about the drama of a 14 year old girl. Georgia is hilarious and reminded me of a younger, British version of Daria. Between Georgia dressing up as an olive, shaving off her eyebrows, her Scottish wild-cat Angus and her crazy baby sister who calls everyone a tosser... well Georgia is a new favorite.
Penny
Let me just start this review by saying I love this book. LOVE IT! This is one of the few books that I've really, truly laughed out loud while reading - there were times I was seriously doubled over. It is hilarious. I'm going to start recommending this book to everyone I know.

But, just so you know, this book is strictly a fun read, nothing more (still well worth reading, believe me).

Georgia Nicolson is a self-centered fourteen-year-old girl growing up in England. Her story is told through her...more
Madeline
Terrific light reading. The whole series is currently at six books and there will probably be several more. The books are written in diary format, and they happen to be the diaries of the craziest British girl who ever walked this earth, plus she comes equipped with equally crazy friends and a marvelously dysfunctional family.
An example of one of Georgia's entries:
"Jas phoned and wanted to go shopping - there's some new makeup that looks so natural you can't tell you have got any on.
I said, 'Do...more
Liz*
Sep 04, 2014 Liz* rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who won't mind coffee spill
Georgia is hilarious, it's been a while since a book had me cracking up out loud like this one.

I don't get teenage girls because I never got to be one in the full sense of the word. My idea of a weekend was playing football (okay, soccer) with my brothers and punching each other till one of us started crying. So I don't know if the sleepovers and all this obsession with their looks and plotting to get a boy was really normal or what. Georgia took really bad decisions half of the time and was inc...more
Julie
I have to re-read this book every once in a while due to sheer hilarity. I am not allowed beverages while reading this book.
Hannah
Feb 09, 2010 Hannah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who don't mind snorting
Recommended to Hannah by: 'Lil sis and Miss T!!
Shelves: ya, humor, 2010-reads
WHAT
A
HOOT...

This was probably the best use of 2.5 hours that I've spent since reading Bill Bryson's, "A Walk in the Woods".

Brit comedian/author Louise Rennison takes on the teen female mindset with hilariosity and realism. Rennison's nailed the feelings, the drama-queen world-view and the all-or-nothing attitude down pat. Our heroine, Georgia Nicolson, may be British, and a good 32 years my junior, but I too was Georgia...once upon a time.

I laughed out loud, I snorted, I chuckled and I generally...more
Heather
Oct 01, 2009 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: T
This book is laugh out loud funny! The proper English slang took some getting used to, but luckily the author has included a glossary in the back.

Georgia is full of hilariosity and she along with her Ace Gang, mad sister, and fat vati will have you laughing like a loon on loon tablets. Gee is neither kind nor cruel, smart nor intelligent, but witty she is and she is forever getting herself into a jam due to her neurotic nature and obsession with boys, make up and hair.

Angus, Thongs, and Full Fro...more
Aly∞

This book was my bible back in '08.

Seriously. My friends and I would refer to this book whenever we had something that could be considered as "boy problems". In '08, I was 13/14, and I'd fallen in love with Aaron Johnson after watching the film so, of course, I had to read the book. It was funny and we could easily relate to it at the time, who am I kidding, I still like to consult Georgia Nicholson in the midst of a crisis.

Also Aaron Johnson

He was practically my first celebrity/fictional/preten...more
Elle

Bahahahahahahahahaha!

Who HASN'T stolen dad's razor to experiment with one's eyebrow hair?

I was feeling a little down in a post Silly Seasons sort of way, and a friend suggested I get involved with the wonderful world of Georgia Nicolson. And I was delighted.

Don't expect to learn anything of any significance from these books.
In fact, they're likely to leave you slightly stupider, if anything.
But if ever you're at a point in your reading career in which you think to yourself, 'Goddamn. I just wan...more
Lydia
Think Diary of a Wimpy Kid for tweens, without the illustrations, and one can pretty much have an accurate idea of what this book is about. Although critically acclaimed and with awards to its name (http://www.harpercollins.com/books/An...) I would personally re-title this book "Diary of a Petty, Shallow Tween."

Now, don't misunderstand me. I laughed out loud at portions of the story, and most definitely felt as if I was reading the actual diary of quite a few of the tweens and young teens I work...more
Allie
Reading this was the result of another moment of desperately seeking what I call "fluff-lit". I was amused by the title, so I picked it up on a whim and by the end of the night found myself literally rolling on the floor laughing. I highly recommend this one (and its sequel) even for adults if you're in the mood for silliness.
Kruti
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

A great book for someone who's in the mood for something light and fluffy but not with a lot of substance. Perfect when you're lounging in the garden while the sun is shining and drinking lemonade :). However, if you’re looking for something with a lot of depth or a thickening plot, you should look away.

Personally, I couldn't put this down; it's definitely a 'laugh-out-loud' book and didn't take very long to finish. Don't be fooled into thinking it will be a boring diary...more
Lena Hillbrand
Jul 11, 2011 Lena Hillbrand rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to laugh
This is the funniest book I've ever read. It's the journal of Georgia Nicholson, who is often on the rack of lurve. The book is British, and has lots of odd British humor, but plenty of humor that will make even the most curmudgeonly person laugh their butt off. I can't think of a single person who would not find at least part of this book hilarious. I've never laughed so hard at a book in my life. At one point I laughed so hard someone asked me why I was crying. I'm pretty sure I actually rolle...more
Ally
I first read this book back in Grade 7, and I am honestly so unbelievably happy that my mom bought it for me.

A few things that Georgia taught me that I never realized I had learned from her:

1. Smile with your tongue behind your teeth. I actually do this.
2. Rate your friends based on looks. This didn't turn out well...my friends were too nice and I was honest
3. The snogging scale (but a new and improved version)
4. Never die your hair with peroxide, it will fall off
5. Some very fantastic languag...more
Arlene
One word to describe Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging... HILARIOUS! I laughed so hard throughout this book that I actually felt quite silly. This book is such a quick read that is simply there for pure pleasure and lolz, no distinguishable or life altering lessons, just a funny fourteen year old girl that journals her daily/hourly thoughts, mishaps, feelings and antics. I loved it!
Christina
Fab Fabbity Fab Fab! This book was so much fun to read! I could already tell just by the book's title. Angus, Thongs and Full-frontal Snogging is the perfect summer read for everyone (even if you're past your teens)! Georgia's journal is filled with hilarious mishaps and adolescent troubles including school, family and boys. Her best friend Jas, falls for a boy named Tom who works at Jennings Grocer. And what do you know, Georgia's love interest aka Sex God makes his appearance and begins all he...more
Amber Skye
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Wow, sorry, just had to get that out of my system. Now, there comes a time in every teenage girl's life where she just NEEDS a book like this. That is to say, she needs a book packed with the hilarious, over-the-top, ridiculous but true drama of high school. While Georgia might kick everything up a notch on the comedy scale, the basic emotions and desires of every teenage girl is embodied in her tale of side-splitting escapades.

From Georgia's certainty that she...more
Mahrya
Rennison, Louise. Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging: Confessions of Georgia Nicholson. Harpertempest, 247 pages. Novel aimed at the tween market.

Description: The 14-year-old protagonist, Georgia Nicholson, gives a minute by minute account of her time spent with friends, obsessions with boys and worries that she may have to move to New Zealand.

Review: This book hones in on the things that 14-year-old girls really think about and presents them in an authentic and often very funny way. Writ...more
Michelle
This isn't my usual genre, but I've read light aimed-at-teens novels before and enjoyed them. I certainly don't think that novels that concern themselves mostly with makeup and dating can't be enjoyable reads.

That said, I couldn't get over the shallowness of the main character in this novel. She and her friends tend to sit around judging people for fun (including each other, which leads to some hurt feelings), and the mood of the novel swings back and forth between overdramatically angsty and bi...more
Tatiana
I read almost the entire Confessions of Georgia Nicolson series years and years and years ago (yes, I'm that old). Written in diary form, it's like a Bridget Jones's Diary for teens. Back then, it fed my constant appetite for all things British. And it was hysterical, absurd, and utterly how a 14-year-old would document her life. Upon this re-reading, I was most startled to realize Georgia probably influenced my 13-year-old self's journaling style more than I ever suspected. Ha! Or should I say,...more
Alita
This book is so weird! I love it. Georgia is going through puberty and lashing out in all the most hilarious ways. This book is witty and fun. At first, Georgia annoyed me but I once I got the flow, I started to really like her. It's such a fast read and I can't wait to read the rest of the series. They are great books to read inbetween darker, more serious novels. And I found myself laughing out loud! 5/5 stars!
Sandy
3.5

If you're in the mood for something snarky and irreverent, this is the book for you. I'm not a laugh-out-loud type of girl (I just do the laughing in my head, thank you) but this had me laughing uproariously for all to hear. Georgia has such a well-defined voice full of humor, wit, snark, fluff, and heart.

Think Bridget Jones for the teen set.
Raeleen Lemay
Ahh, what a great re-read. I love this series so much!
Ashleigh Paige
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten!

One upon a time, I saw commercials for a movie called Angus, Thongs, and Perfect Snogging and decided hey, that seemed like just my cup of tea. Of course, the day I got sick and sat down to watch it in my living room, the most immovable, un-scareable man I know nearly crapped his drawers because of a falling lamp and the movie fell by the wayside while I nearly laughed myself the other half of the way to death, but I've never forgotten about it. I did, how...more
Movie... 32 135 Aug 04, 2014 01:06AM
girls; what do u think off angus, thongs and perfect snogging? 28 121 Aug 02, 2014 07:53AM
YA lovers <3: Angus, Thongs And Full- Frontal Snogging 5 7 Jul 26, 2014 09:10PM
I am confused... 4 50 Apr 07, 2013 06:25PM
Books similar to this series? 4 97 Dec 04, 2012 04:01AM
  • Girl, 15, Charming but Insane (Jess Jordan, #1)
  • The Boy Book: A Study of Habits and Behaviors, Plus Techniques for Taming Them (Ruby Oliver, #2)
  • The Year My Life Went Down The Loo (Emily, #1)
  • Girls Out Late (Girls, #3)
  • Feeling Sorry for Celia (Ashbury/Brookfield, #1)
  • True Believer (Make Lemonade, #2)
  • The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things
  • Mates, Dates, and Inflatable Bras (Mates, Dates, #1)
  • Shrimp (Cyd Charisse, #2)
  • Carter Finally Gets It (Carter Finally Gets It, #1)
  • Second Helpings (Jessica Darling, #2)
  • Many Stones
  • Posh and Prejudice (Diary of a Chav, #2)
Louise Rennison is the bestselling award-winning author of the phenomenally successful ‘Confessions of Georgia Nicolson’ series, translated into over 34 languages and to the stage and big screen as ‘Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging’. She has won the Nestle Smarties Book Prize, the Michael L. Printz Honor Book and the Roald Dahl Funny prize for ‘Withering Tights’.
More about Louise Rennison...
On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #2) Knocked Out by My Nunga-Nungas (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #3) Dancing in My Nuddy-Pants (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #4) Then He Ate My Boy Entrancers (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #6) Away Laughing on a Fast Camel (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #5)

“Look, I can't go out with you, because...because...because I'm a lesbian.” 66 likes
“When uncle Eddie does his impression of 'Like a Virgin' it's like Madonna is coming out of his body!'
Christ what an image.”