The Bears in the Bed and the Great Big Storm

The Bears in the Bed and the Great Big Storm

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Terrified of the wild storm outside, Baby Bear, Little Bear, and Young Bear crawl one by one into bed with their parents. Bestselling illustrator Chapman vibrantly captures the joy of snuggling into a warm bed as well as the strange shadows that can appear in the middle of the night. Full color.
Published October 1st 2008 by Good Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Bears in the Bed and the Great Big Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bears in the Bed and the Great Big Storm

Tasha
In a cozy cave, Bear and Mrs. Bear are fast asleep. A storm blows through with wind howling and Baby Bear comes into their bed. The thunder crashes and now Bear is awake and so is Little Bear who comes into their bed. The lightning flashes and Bear wraps his pillow around his head. Now Young Bear gets into their bed. Suddenly there is a knock on the door that wakes them all up. Could it be the monster who has been scaring the children all night?

The language in the book begs to be read aloud. The...more
Martin Carberry
This a simple story about a family of Bears in their home on a stormy night. Terrified of the storm ouside, thinking it was a monster, Baby Bear, Little Bear and Young Bear crawl one by one into bed with their parents. As each bear climbed into bed, Daddy Bear says “There’s no such thing as monsters” But with the lighting, thunder and the ‘rat-a-tat-tat at the door Daddy Bear was not sure anymore. A frightened Daddy bear answers and discovers that the monster was only their neighbour Moose looki...more
Shelley
Read this for the first time tonight and I could read it over and over. Fabulous illustrations by Jane Chapman and great story about monsters and a scary night that makes it easy to do voices and laugh out loud. I HIGHLY recommend.
Ms.
There's no such thing as monsters!!!! That is the premise of this book about a big scary storms that causes shadows to dance on the wall is mysterious monster-like shapes. As each of the Bears' three children make their way into the bed Big Daddy Bear becomes more and more scared of the storm himself, even while telling his young children that there is nothing to be afraid of! This is a fun book that helps teach the lesson of how to overcome fear. This book is applicable to much more than just s...more
Kara Anderson
I love this story! So cute and my toddler loves all the sound effects. He repeatedly request this book
Kathryn Hogan
Very cute book about being scared and monsters. There is a very dangerous storm and all of the bear children are afraid of the monsters outside their windows so they crawl up in the bear family's bed all safe and sleep peacefully. Papa bear begins to see things and then starts to see the monsters himself. The monster ended up being a moose who's home was destroyed in the storm. Great book to show that storms are ok and that monsters do not exist.
Gwen the Librarian
Baby Bear, Little Bear, and Young Bear are all scared of the storm and crawl into bed with Bear and Mrs. Bear. Bear says, "You're such a scaredy-bear!" But the storm keeps Bear up while the little ones sleep and soon HE'S the scaredy-bear! This is a warm and fun bedtime book to ease the fears of your little ones and make them giggle. Jane Chapman's bears are the cuddliest and friendlist you'll ever meet...cousins of Bear from Karma Wilson's stories.
Zak
Rich colors, large format, and expressive illustrations are the formal reasons this book works so well. On the content side, the plot and dialogue have just the right mix of humor and suspense for a young child. And who can resist a family of bears? This one is sure to be a classic, at least in my house.
Jsagat
Lightning -wind frighten baby bear, little bear and young bear who think it is a monsters as they seek the comfort of Bear and Mrs. Bear's bed--who reassure them there is no such thing as monsters until they think they see one themselves--who turns out to be moose who needs a place to stay.
Deanna Donald
I would read this book to my students if we had been experiencing very bad storms in our area and students had come into school talking about it and how scared they were. This would show students that is perfectly okay to be frightened by these storms.
S.K.
My favorite thing was the language! It was full of action and excitement. Very well written. The illustrations were beautiful, too. The ending was good.

My only criticism is the title is too dang long and uninteresting. Missed the boat on that one.

Lisa
I used this book to teach the students how to have "voice" in their writing. Bright uses great word choice that relays the feelings and emotions of the bear during the great big storm.
Sharlet Mullen
Jan 27, 2013 Sharlet Mullen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: yes
This is a must read for those children that are afraid of storms. Any family member can see themselves in this book where everyone ends up in mom and dads bed. Cute story.
Kathy
great artwork - fun story about how the dad bear keeps telling his children "There's no such thing as monsters!", yet he's afraid of the monster he sees at his door!
Madison
You could read this to your children if they are scared of " monsters". It gives it a humorous way of looking at monsters.
Edna
The whole bear family end up in one bed when a huge rain storm makes sounds that are frightening.
Heather
12 months - cute story and illustrations. Everyone gets scared sometimes even grownups.
KatMarie
My son and daughter love this book and I read it to them over and over.
Gryphon
Imagination can really get away with you. Even Papa bears imagination.
John
A storytime hit and a fun story with great text and engaging art!
Angie
Cute story that shows even big bears can get scared in a storm. :)
Krystyn
Cute story and illustrations by one of my favorites.
Brooke
Long story but some kids really got into it.
Lisa
So cute!! My kiddos got a big kick out of it.
Vincent
perfect for New England winter survivors
Mrs. Downs
GR Level: ?

NOT AVAILABLE
Kati
This was a VERY cute book.
Tina
"afraid of a storm, bears"
Amanda
Reminds me of my family!
Tara
Oct 07, 2008 Tara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tara by: Gwen the Librarian
Hilarous and adorable!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Charlie's Superhero Underpants Grumpy Badger's Christmas Crunch Munch Dinosaur Lunch Nobody Laughs at a Lion I'm Not Going Out There!