Start by marking “The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems” as Want to Read:
The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems

The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  866 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
If you’re sleepy in the jungle
And you wish to find a pillow,
Take a friendly word of warning:
DO NOT USE AN ARMADILLO!

Covering everything from centipedes to whales, from swinging on swings to ice-skating in winter, from eating applesauce to celebrating birthdays, the delightful poems in this extensive collection convey the experiences of childhood with a fresh timelessness.
Published April 1st 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published March 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Llama Who Had No Pajama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Llama Who Had No Pajama

Dolphin Treasure by Wayne GroverThe Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler WarnerThe House at Pooh Corner by A.A. MilneMy Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles GannettMary On Horseback by Rosemary Wells
Kindergarten Read Alouds
12th out of 22 books — 13 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakHarold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett JohnsonThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith ViorstCars and Trucks and Things That Go by Richard Scarry
Greatest little boy books ... ages 2 - 6
270th out of 314 books — 114 voters

More lists with this book...

Flora Stan
Mar 12, 2013 Flora Stan rated it it was amazing
The Llama Who Had No Pajama is an anthology of 100 favorite poems by Mary Ann Hoberman. This book of poems can be a great introduction to poems for young readers. It provides a variety of poems on different subjects like animals, people, childhood fun, and other concepts like time, opposites, and up comparisons. The poems are all enhanced by illustrations that creatively illustrate the action in the poem. This anthology can be a good resource for the classroom to enhance and supplement other gen ...more
Jerrica
Nov 12, 2014 Jerrica rated it really liked it
This book is really good if you have multiple days to read because there are so many poems in this book. I feel that teachers can read this book in the span of a year by reading two or three poems after recess or lunch. Compared to the two other poetry books I chose, I enjoyed this one better. I feel that this book is more "up to date" and modern with its illustrations and word choice.
I liked how in majority of the poems there were repetition lines where the kids can say it after being said a fe
Jamal Scott
Nov 17, 2014 Jamal Scott rated it really liked it
The title is in a variety of different colors. There's a llama on the front looking at the reader. It is a dark brown color. The llama doesn't look too descriptive. The background is a faded yellow looking color.

This is about a llama basically not having pajamas while every other animal does and knows where to sleep.
Lucila Perez
Dec 06, 2014 Lucila Perez rated it it was amazing
This is a book containing 100 favorite poems by Mary Ann Hoberman. In this poetry book I found this book to be a little more challenging of a read for young readers. This book of poems can be a great introduction to poems for young readers. It provides a variety of poems on different subjects like animals, people, childhood fun, and other concepts like time, opposites, and up comparisons. The poems are all enhanced by illustrations that creatively illustrate the action in the poem.I feel that th ...more
Jaylyn
Feb 25, 2015 Jaylyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-poetry
Personal Reaction- Really enjoyed this book! Fun poems that are all about childhood and the different encounters that come with it. Fun animals are used and fun scenarios.

Purposes:

Younger students generally. 2nd-3rd graders would enjoy this. The purpose is something that Mrs. Paddock discussed, when there is a pajama day, read a poem about pajamas. Or, if there was a time during science class where a certain insect is talked about in the book then read a poem about it so that poetry becomes inte
Emma Jane
Nov 05, 2015 Emma Jane rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
This book would appeal to an audience new to the literary genre of poetry. It includes a variety of short, upbeat poems about topics and activities familiar to young learners such as ice skating in the winter, celebrating birthdays, and interesting animals such as whales and centipedes. This book would be great for introducing a kindergarten class to the genre of poetry. A teacher could read-aloud one poem from the book each day during a certain period to engage students and to help them become ...more
Clarissa
Dec 05, 2014 Clarissa rated it liked it
The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems is a collection of some of Mary Ann Hoberman most popular poems. Every part of the world is a wonder, from small worms to the changing of the seasons. To see the world as Hoberman did, one only has to read her poems. Not only do her words paint a picture, but the style and format have an artistic quality all their own. Hoberman manages to make the poem itself a piece of art. Each poem will have its own illustration to help readers better visualize ...more
Erica Johnson
This is a book containing 100 favorite poems by Mary Ann Hoberman. One of my favorites from this book was The Birthday Bus. This poem primarily talks about a child's birthday that is coming up and what type of gifts they'd like. Although if they don't get the gifts they wish for and "someone decided to give me a bus, I'd accept it at once without making a fuss." The poem then goes on to talk about all of the exciting things that would take place on the bus during the birthday party. The rhyme sc ...more
Brittany Harper
Dec 01, 2015 Brittany Harper added it
Shelves: poetry
This extensive collection of poems covers all sorts of topics that would be interesting to children. It covers things like, seasons, birthdays, animals and so much more. The poems are light-hearted and show the experiences that the average child goes through. This is a book of poetry that I would definitely read to my class to keep poetry fun, interesting and relatable.

Activity: Students will write a poem about a fun experience that they have had.
Carl Zallow
Oct 26, 2015 Carl Zallow rated it really liked it
"The Llama Who Had No Pajama" was a great read. It consisted of a series of 100 poems. It was, of course, geared more towards kids, but I believe adults could enjoy it like I did! It was pretty much just short little stories told through poems. I believe the form of a poem in telling stories like this one really demonstrates a great art in literature.
Roxy
Nov 29, 2015 Roxy added it
Shelves: poetry
It consisted of a series of 100 poems. The poems have a wide variety of subjects such as animals, seasons, activities, and word poems that would be great for young students. Each poem is accompanied by a picture that is relevant to the poem. The variety of subjects in the book make it useful for introducing different topics to young students.
Margie
Feb 11, 2015 Margie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a huge fan of "A House is a House for Me" I looked forward to reading this collection of poems by the same author. I found some amusing and whimsical though some were rather odd and senseless. Still it was overall a satisfying collection on a range of subjects most of which will captivate and satisfy young readers. This would also make a great read-aloud choice.
Calie Youmans
Nov 29, 2015 Calie Youmans rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
This children's poetry book covers everything from spring to summer, swinging to ice skating, and many other fun, childhood memories all while rhyming. It is timeless! This would be a great book to introduce children, maybe grade 1, to poetry. They could model their own poems after the book and draw an accompanying picture. They could write a short poem about their favorite childhood memory thus far.
Quaesha
Nov 25, 2015 Quaesha added it
Shelves: poetry

The Llama Who Had No Pajama is a collection of 100 different poems. With the amount of silliness that has been incorporated into these poems, children will thoroughly enjoy these poems. This book can be a great tool to use in elementart classrooms to get the students engaged into poetry.
Danielle
Dec 01, 2015 Danielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
The Llama Who Had No Pajama is a collection of 100 different poems. It is filled with fun silly poems that young readers are sure to enjoy. This book can be a great tool to use in elementary classrooms to get the students engaged into poetry.
Whole And
Nov 24, 2015 Whole And rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT collection of poems and versus for a wide variety of subjects such as animals, seasons, activities, word poems and so much to explore. A truly joyful exploration. Endless fun to be had learning these poems with your little people.
Sabrina Davis
Feb 17, 2013 Sabrina Davis rated it liked it
In this poetry book I found this book to be a little more challenging of a read for young readers. There were poems in there that had poems that even had some words that I did not know. For the most part their poems were children friendly. There poems about animals and story telling. There was one poem in there that was called "The Llama Who Had no Pajama" which ended up being the longest poem in that book, but was pretty fun. I found that this author wrote mostly in a paragraph form, but there ...more
Rathen
Dec 04, 2014 Rathen rated it liked it
This is a nice easy read for most who would be interested in picking the book up. not one of my favorite kids books that i have read but it is a funny little story. i like the illustration, which is a major part of these children books.
Allison
Oct 11, 2014 Allison added it
Shelves: 5603
I read this book for my children's lit class, and wrote a detailed review on HowIFeelAboutBooks.com.
Melanie
May 12, 2014 Melanie rated it really liked it
Very cute book of poems for children. My boys actually enjoyed many of these poems and poetry is not normally their thing.
Heather
We read a few poems from this for 'poetry study'. They were fun and each page has an illustration on it. After we read several pages we stopped (as we only do poetry for 10 minutes or so) and one of my sons said, "thank you for reading those nice, fun poems." Uh, you're welcome. I've read poetry to them for almost 2 years and they've never thanked me.

I'm not sure it it's the great illustrations or that they understand it better now or it's more modern or what. I'll continue to read from this to
Alexandra
Apr 16, 2014 Alexandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Fun collection of poems.
Ebookwormy
Oct 12, 2010 Ebookwormy rated it really liked it
This fun book of children's poetry was a hit with our entire family. Themes of animals, word play, general silliness, imagination verses reality and childhood exploration abound in a sort of modern "Child's Garden of Verses" (Robert Louis Stevenson).

There was one verse that we will skip, Gorilla, which talks about the supposed relationship between man and gorillas, but this problem was confined to the one entry.

We will seek this out many times in the coming years. Highly recommended as a home s
Clare Mcpherson
Oct 31, 2013 Clare Mcpherson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I chose poem Opposites. After reading this I would have the class make their own book of oppsites.

The opposite of dark is light
The opposite of black s white
The opposite of dull is bright
And I eat my chocolate cake at night.
The opposite of loose is tight
The opposite of peace is fight
The opposite of wrong is right
A circus is a sillsight.
The opposite of big is small
The opposite of short is tall
The opposite of none is all
Now watc me bounce my rubber ball.

Morgan Thompson
Nov 25, 2015 Morgan Thompson rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This is a book containing collection of 100 poems. This poetry book would be better suited for older elementary students. I would use this in my class as an introduction to poems for my young readers.
Ashlee
Dec 01, 2015 Ashlee added it
Shelves: poetry
The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems is a children's poetry book by Mary Ann Hoberman. This poetry book includes different animals and objects as it tells funny children's poems. The animals and objects do funny things to make the poems very interesting. This poetry book is great for children because the words are simple and some rhyme.
Joe
Feb 05, 2012 Joe rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This is great to read to kids. It has many short stories that children can relate with. It has stories about their daily routines, relationships with certain people and other stories about animals, which are on the funnier side. The poems also have illustrations with it that go very well with the story the poems are trying to tell.
Heather
Jun 28, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
25 months - There are 100 poems in this book. Not all are amazing but there are certainly enough to make it worth the read. O decided she doesn't like poetry books so I've pulled a handful of the really fun ones and I will try to memorize them as this is how she likes poetry best. Just on the spot where ever and whenever.
Tracy
Feb 18, 2013 Tracy rated it it was amazing
I don't usually read a poetry collection all the way through. I did not know that Mary Ann Hoberman wrote poetry as well as picture books. I especially liked the illustration of the poem Butterfish Bay, loved the poem, loved the poem Tommycats very funny, and the section on insects was a joy to read.
Crystal
Nov 29, 2015 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This set of 100 poems, for Kindergarten through Grades 4, is delightful and humorous all at once. The rhythms are lively and agile, allowing for an easy and fun read. Poetry delights all ages, and this set is a great introduction to this literature category.
  • Dolphin Treasure
  • The Usborne Book of Living Long Ago (Explainers)
  • The Arnold Lobel Book of Mother Goose: A Treasury of More Than 300 Classic Nursery Rhymes
  • Egermeier's Bible Story Book
  • Mary On Horseback: Three Mountain Stories
  • Five True Dog Stories
  • A Grain of Rice
  • The Light at Tern Rock (Newbery Library, Puffin)
  • Capyboppy
  • Here's a Penny
  • No Children, No Pets
  • Twenty and Ten
  • Favorite Poems of Childhood
  • The Apple and the Arrow
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • Stories from Around the World
  • Is a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing There Is?
  • In Grandma's Attic (Grandma's Attic, #1)
Work with her local Connecticut chapter of the Literacy Volunteers of America inspired her to create this series of books to encourage reading. She enjoys reading with her grandchildren.
More about Mary Ann Hoberman...