Start by marking “The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems” as Want to Read:
The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems

The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  667 ratings  ·  42 reviews
If you’re sleepy in the jungle
And you wish to find a pillow,
Take a friendly word of warning:
DO NOT USE AN ARMADILLO!

Covering everything from centipedes to whales, from swinging on swings to ice-skating in winter, from eating applesauce to celebrating birthdays, the delightful poems in this extensive collection convey the experiences of childhood with a fresh timelessness.
Published April 1st 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published March 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Llama Who Had No Pajama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Llama Who Had No Pajama

My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles GannettMary On Horseback by Rosemary WellsThe Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler WarnerDolphin Treasure by Wayne GroverFive True Dog Stories by Margaret Davidson
Kindergarten Read Alouds
11th out of 22 books — 7 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakHarold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett JohnsonCars and Trucks and Things That Go by Richard ScarryThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleFreight Train by Donald Crews
Greatest little boy books ... ages 2 - 6
258th out of 310 books — 103 voters

More lists with this book...

Flora Stan
The Llama Who Had No Pajama is an anthology of 100 favorite poems by Mary Ann Hoberman. This book of poems can be a great introduction to poems for young readers. It provides a variety of poems on different subjects like animals, people, childhood fun, and other concepts like time, opposites, and up comparisons. The poems are all enhanced by illustrations that creatively illustrate the action in the poem. This anthology can be a good resource for the classroom to enhance and supplement other gen ...more
Jerrica
This book is really good if you have multiple days to read because there are so many poems in this book. I feel that teachers can read this book in the span of a year by reading two or three poems after recess or lunch. Compared to the two other poetry books I chose, I enjoyed this one better. I feel that this book is more "up to date" and modern with its illustrations and word choice.
I liked how in majority of the poems there were repetition lines where the kids can say it after being said a fe
Jamal Scott
The title is in a variety of different colors. There's a llama on the front looking at the reader. It is a dark brown color. The llama doesn't look too descriptive. The background is a faded yellow looking color.

This is about a llama basically not having pajamas while every other animal does and knows where to sleep.
Lucila Perez
This is a book containing 100 favorite poems by Mary Ann Hoberman. In this poetry book I found this book to be a little more challenging of a read for young readers. This book of poems can be a great introduction to poems for young readers. It provides a variety of poems on different subjects like animals, people, childhood fun, and other concepts like time, opposites, and up comparisons. The poems are all enhanced by illustrations that creatively illustrate the action in the poem.I feel that th ...more
Jaylyn
Personal Reaction- Really enjoyed this book! Fun poems that are all about childhood and the different encounters that come with it. Fun animals are used and fun scenarios.

Purposes:

Younger students generally. 2nd-3rd graders would enjoy this. The purpose is something that Mrs. Paddock discussed, when there is a pajama day, read a poem about pajamas. Or, if there was a time during science class where a certain insect is talked about in the book then read a poem about it so that poetry becomes inte
Clarissa
The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems is a collection of some of Mary Ann Hoberman most popular poems. Every part of the world is a wonder, from small worms to the changing of the seasons. To see the world as Hoberman did, one only has to read her poems. Not only do her words paint a picture, but the style and format have an artistic quality all their own. Hoberman manages to make the poem itself a piece of art. Each poem will have its own illustration to help readers better visualize ...more
Erica Johnson
This is a book containing 100 favorite poems by Mary Ann Hoberman. One of my favorites from this book was The Birthday Bus. This poem primarily talks about a child's birthday that is coming up and what type of gifts they'd like. Although if they don't get the gifts they wish for and "someone decided to give me a bus, I'd accept it at once without making a fuss." The poem then goes on to talk about all of the exciting things that would take place on the bus during the birthday party. The rhyme sc ...more
Margie
Being a huge fan of "A House is a House for Me" I looked forward to reading this collection of poems by the same author. I found some amusing and whimsical though some were rather odd and senseless. Still it was overall a satisfying collection on a range of subjects most of which will captivate and satisfy young readers. This would also make a great read-aloud choice.
Sabrina Davis
In this poetry book I found this book to be a little more challenging of a read for young readers. There were poems in there that had poems that even had some words that I did not know. For the most part their poems were children friendly. There poems about animals and story telling. There was one poem in there that was called "The Llama Who Had no Pajama" which ended up being the longest poem in that book, but was pretty fun. I found that this author wrote mostly in a paragraph form, but there ...more
Rathen
This is a nice easy read for most who would be interested in picking the book up. not one of my favorite kids books that i have read but it is a funny little story. i like the illustration, which is a major part of these children books.
Allison
Oct 11, 2014 Allison added it
Shelves: 5603
I read this book for my children's lit class, and wrote a detailed review on HowIFeelAboutBooks.com.
Rachel
Dec 07, 2014 Rachel is currently reading it
Shelves: liam
So far, my five year old has requested certain poems so many times that he has memorized them. His favorite is Butterfish Bay!
Melanie
Very cute book of poems for children. My boys actually enjoyed many of these poems and poetry is not normally their thing.
Heather
We read a few poems from this for 'poetry study'. They were fun and each page has an illustration on it. After we read several pages we stopped (as we only do poetry for 10 minutes or so) and one of my sons said, "thank you for reading those nice, fun poems." Uh, you're welcome. I've read poetry to them for almost 2 years and they've never thanked me.

I'm not sure it it's the great illustrations or that they understand it better now or it's more modern or what. I'll continue to read from this to
Alexandra
Fun collection of poems.
Ebookwormy
This fun book of children's poetry was a hit with our entire family. Themes of animals, word play, general silliness, imagination verses reality and childhood exploration abound in a sort of modern "Child's Garden of Verses" (Robert Louis Stevenson).

There was one verse that we will skip, Gorilla, which talks about the supposed relationship between man and gorillas, but this problem was confined to the one entry.

We will seek this out many times in the coming years. Highly recommended as a home s
Clare Mcpherson
I chose poem Opposites. After reading this I would have the class make their own book of oppsites.

The opposite of dark is light
The opposite of black s white
The opposite of dull is bright
And I eat my chocolate cake at night.
The opposite of loose is tight
The opposite of peace is fight
The opposite of wrong is right
A circus is a sillsight.
The opposite of big is small
The opposite of short is tall
The opposite of none is all
Now watc me bounce my rubber ball.

Joe
Feb 05, 2012 Joe rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
This is great to read to kids. It has many short stories that children can relate with. It has stories about their daily routines, relationships with certain people and other stories about animals, which are on the funnier side. The poems also have illustrations with it that go very well with the story the poems are trying to tell.
Heather
25 months - There are 100 poems in this book. Not all are amazing but there are certainly enough to make it worth the read. O decided she doesn't like poetry books so I've pulled a handful of the really fun ones and I will try to memorize them as this is how she likes poetry best. Just on the spot where ever and whenever.
Tracy
I don't usually read a poetry collection all the way through. I did not know that Mary Ann Hoberman wrote poetry as well as picture books. I especially liked the illustration of the poem Butterfish Bay, loved the poem, loved the poem Tommycats very funny, and the section on insects was a joy to read.
Bree
I'm not into poetry so that might be my only dislike about the book. What I did like: The poems range in size, as many can cover a page or just 1 poem covers 2 pages. They range in topic but they grouped them together so you read all about animals, birthdays, siblings, etc.
Lindsey
Children should be able to relate to and like all the silly poems within this book. The poems are about animals and about children experiences.

I would use this book to introduce any of my younger students K-2 to introduce a poetry lesson.
Dan Fleming
This book was pretty entertaining, it the poems were funny and each page had a nice illustration on it. This book covers everything from bugs to sea animals such as whales. It also goes over childhood past times such as ice skating.
Amber
Still making our way through this one but has great, very fun poetry. I highly recommend it if you are interested in introducing rhyme and poetry to your kids. Shel silverstein silliness. Great!

(Sonlight core A curriculum)
Becca
We've all been enjoying reading these poems together. Many are in the flavor of Shel Silverstein, others are more serious. The poems are clever enough for adults but the kids get it, too.
Rebecca
This is a great little poetry book. Many of the poems contain interesting facts about animals or fun plays on words. The illustrations are fun too. My 5 yo enjoyed it.
Stephanie
Dec 19, 2014 Stephanie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Stephanie by: Sonlight
MY children and I love this book. It has modern poems that are great for memorization and great for practicing speech. It is also just alot of fun to read!
Jacqueline Kendall
This book has many whimsical poems about all kinds of things mostly animals. This is a great book for children in first to fifth maybe even kindergarden.
Kirei
This books of poems for kids was nice enough, but I think it lacked pizazz. Maybe I would have been better with a book of Shel Silverstein's poetry.
Jessica
cute poetry book. this and the real mother goose came with my homeschooling curriculum. this is the winner! it's cute and the poems make sense.
  • Dolphin Treasure
  • The Usborne Book of Living Long Ago (Explainers)
  • Mary On Horseback: Three Mountain Stories
  • A Grain of Rice
  • The Light at Tern Rock (Newbery Library, Puffin)
  • Five True Dog Stories
  • Leading Little Ones to God: A Child's Book of Bible Teachings
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • The Year At Maple Hill Farm
  • Poems and Prayers for the Very Young
Work with her local Connecticut chapter of the Literacy Volunteers of America inspired her to create this series of books to encourage reading. She enjoys reading with her grandchildren.
More about Mary Ann Hoberman...
The Seven Silly Eaters A House Is a House for Me You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Stories to Read Together Miss Mary Mack You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Together