Start by marking “Encore Provence: New Adventures in the South of France” as Want to Read:
Encore Provence: New Adventures in the South of France

Encore Provence: New Adventures in the South of France (Provence #3)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  7,474 ratings  ·  179 reviews
In his most delightful foray into the wonders of Provençal life, Peter Mayle returns to France and puts behind him cholesterol worries, shopping by phone, California wines, and other concerns that plagued him after too much time away.

In Encore Provence, Mayle gives us a glimpse into the secrets of the truffle trade, a parfumerie lesson on the delicacies of scent, an explor
Published April 25th 2000 by Vintage (first published October 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Encore Provence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encore Provence

Chocolat by Joanne HarrisLike Water for Chocolate by Laura EsquivelThe School of Essential Ingredients by Erica BauermeisterFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggMy Life in France by Julia Child
Nouvelle Cuisine
58th out of 318 books — 207 voters
The Glow of Paris by Gary ZuercherAlmost French by Sarah TurnbullThe Lollipop Shoes by Joanne HarrisMadame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles by Rupert KingfisherReturn To Paris by Colette Rossant
I love Paris
28th out of 47 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Kaitlyn Barrett
This reads more like a Provence guidebook and less like a memoir. It has nice weight and heft after the insubstantial stories in Toujours Provence and has the same charming competent humorous writing style as A Year in Provence.

I liked this book because I can see his journalistic tendencies more clearly. I enjoy the way he chases down a story and the lengths to which he’ll go to follow up on interesting possibilities like the perfumery school for blind children, the processing of olive oil and
Peter Mason
Enjoyable, Mayle in good form. Having read his previous books some years ago it's nice to revisit the dusty roads of Provence and rekindle dormant daydreams.
Helynne
After I read and thoroughly enjoyed Peter Mayle’s Provence (1991) and Toujours Provence (1992), I turned my attention to other readings, not knowing that a few years later (1999) , Mayle had completed a trilogy with Encore Provence, written after he and his wife had left their home in the south of France, and moved to southern California for few years. This delightful account of how they readjusted from California back to Provençal life lives up to the spirit and cultural observations of the fi ...more
Antoaneta Mitrusheva
Харесвам Питър Мейл и третата част от поредицата му за Прованс ми допадна. Книгата е по-скоро пътепис, а не роман. Сборник от истории, написан с приятно чувство за хумор, усет към детайла, любов към храната и природата. Книга, която носи сетивна наслада и удоволствие.
Kristen
Apr 14, 2009 Kristen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: gourmets and Tuscan Sun fans
Shelves: non-fiction
For it's genre, this is a great book. I'm a big fan of books where not much has to happen. I read the first of this series, "A Year in Provence," at least five years ago and really enjoyed it. It's the French equivalent of "Under the Tuscan Sun." Stumbled across two of his follow-ups at a rummage sale at preschool and snapped them up. This book was interesting, informative, witty and even laugh-out-loud funny at times. Peter Mayle thinks a great deal about food - where it comes from, how to get ...more
Chantal
I was lucky enough to read the third installment of Peter Mayle's Provence trilogy in Provence itself recently. Not exactly in The Luberon though, we were staying in the slighty busier, more touristy part of Frejus but I'm not complaining, it's a beautiful place.

As with the first two books it's like curling up with an old friend, an old witty francophile friend that causes you to laugh out loud (very possibly startling nearby sun-worshippers)and teaches you something new each time you engage wit
Erika
Where A Year in Provence by Peter Maylefelt like a Dear Diary and I loved it, Encore Provence feels more like a How To and I only liked it. Encore Provence really gets more specific, and detailed, and Provence loses a lot of its magic fairyland feel, becoming more of a Real Place. A Real Place I want to visit, no doubt, but not asap. I almost wonder if Mayle did this deliberately, to discourage people like me from visiting, and messing up his magic fairyland! If so, touche. ...more
Duncan
A pure delight as always and a joy to reread
bookyeti
You’ve got Mayle!

Peter Mayle’s “Encore Provence” …the third novel in his Provence series. His books are always great fun; reading them is like going on vacation. In this installment of the series, Mayle (an Englishman by birth) writes about returning to Provence after a four year absence, when he and wife moved back to England. The novel - so vivid and rich in its explanation of the smallest detail of life in Provence - makes one yearn to be transplanted to that picturesque landscape.

The charac
John Nebauer
Because living in the south of France, or Normandy, or Italy, sounds so wonderfully exotic and impossible, reading about those who have chosen to do is both wonderful and a cause for jealousy. I read A Year in Provence and Toujours Provence many years ago, and happily both continue to reside on my shelves. I borrowed Encore Provence from my workplace for some Christmas/New Year relaxation.

Written a decade after the first two volumes, the elapsed time included relocation to California. This volu
Jo Anne
IF you are a travel buff and/or a gourmand (of the armchair type) than Encore Provence is for you. Peter Mayle has a gentle, friendly writing style, and a deep love and respect for his subject. I'm not a foodie; wine and truffles are not for me, but just reading about them make me feel well traveled and well fed.

Couple this book with Mayles A Year in Provence and Under the Tuscan Sun (book AND movie) and travel to wonderful places, with no lines at the airport.
Wouter
Still charming, captivating and easy to read, Peter continues on this now familiar quest on writing about the daily (mundane) activities on living in the South of France. I did like Toujours provence more because Encore provence seems to miss a bit more humor, and some chapters are more informative to tourists than funny stories of Peter's neighbours, but it's still worthwile to read through. It's only 220 pages so you'll be done fairly quickly.
Becky Rippel
Apr 14, 2014 Becky Rippel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Francophiles
Shelves: read-again
In Encore Provence, Peter Mayle presents his most appealing tribute to the joys of Gallic life. After an absence he falls in love with the area again. Here he tells the secrets of the truffle trade, a parfumerie lesson the the delicacies of scent, an exploration of the genetic effects of 2,000 years of foie gras, and a small-town murder mystery!! This is armchair traveling at its best!
David Bustamante
I did not enjoy this book. I read it, along with other Peter Mayle books, in preparation for a vacation in Provence. I feel that the first book was good but the latter 2 books didn't really add anything and were redundant. I recommend reading the first book, "A Year in Provence" and "Provence A-Z" and skipping "Toujour Provence" and "Encore Provence"
Kathy
A nice visit back to what we read in A Year in Province. Mayle still has a keen eye and sense of kind humor to the residents of Province and I find his writing interesting and honest. There will be some call backs to the first book in this series, but it reads much better than the second book, Toujours Provence. If you enjoyed A Year in Province, I would recommend skipping Toujours and going straight to this one.
David
This isn't what I feel is Mayle's best in his examinations on Provence, but it's still one of the better ones. Much of what he talks about here is stuff he's covered before, though from a period of absence. Still, like in the others I like best, he follows where the whims take him as opposed to trying to make things fit too much of a structure. It works better for me and I think it suits the material more. I certainly enjoyed reading.
Gillian Mcintosh
Imagine... A stay in a beautiful house in the grounds of a chateau in Provence... Every home comfort provided... My choice of reading matter from my friend's bookshelves was this. I would get up, sniff the perfumed air through the French windows in our room, and wander to make off for my first cuppa.

I found this book explained many things and gave pointers to what activities to do. - Why couldn't I get a writing pad without it being graph paper? Food. The amazing experience of the markets parti
Karschtl
Ich habe reingelesen, bis ca. Seite 30. Aber solche non-fiktionalen Beschreibungen von Land & Leute reißen mich, zumindest in der Weise wie Mayle hier schreibt, nicht gerade vom Hocker. Daher habe ich es doch recht schnell wieder zur Seite gelegt, da ich meinen MountTBR endlich abbauen muss und für mich 'schöneren' Büchern den Vorzug gebe.
Gary Sudeth
I am a tough critic. That being said, I really like Peter Mayle's works for their ability to place me in the south of France where I would always rather be. My rating reflects Mayle's works for their literary value; not for their pure nostalgic, vicarious enjoyment.
Cheryl Rowland
An irreverent look at life in Provence. The author Peter Mayle and his wife have moved to Provence and in witty dialogue, discuss the food and wine, their quirky neighbors, and how they spend their time in their adopted homeland of Provence.
Eve (Bee) Beltane
An enjoyable read and romp through the back country of colourful Provence. From crusty characters and crusty bread to the history of the olive tree. Peter Mayle whets my appetite and satifies every time.
David
Like Toujours Provence, the chapters of this book are connected by the setting of Provence and by a few recurring characters, but are otherwise independent. This is perfect for a book to be read in bites, like a little slice of reading dessert. Begin with the man power-washing his underwear, then read a few days later about the corkscrew museum; the next day, about Mayle's theories on the life-extending benefits of duck fat and foies gras; the next day, about the many varieties of olive oil; and ...more
Joan Karter
Peter Mayle shares plenty of his observations about life in general along with interesting stories about Provence. That's what made the book so enjoyable for me. I wanted to learn more about southern France. Merci, Monsieur Mayle!
Georgette
Love feeding my dream of seeing living and breathing France!!!!! I love Mr. Mayle's writing style. I laugh out loud! Entertaining and educating! A great read.
Dee
This book unfortunately lacks the charm and the ease of storytelling found in the first book of the series. Kind of disappointing.
Patti
Yet another delightful book about Provence life. Peter Mayle's amusing style is respectful but captures well the French way.
Peggy
This is the third book by Peter Mayle about the years he spent living in the south of France. This book was written 10 years after his first one, which I read and reviewed. In the intervening years, Mayle only improved his writing in my opinion. His first book was enjoyable enough but this one is a delight.
He broadens the subject from just his personal experiences and adds more adventures and topics about French countryside life in general. I am definitely smitten with these "travel" books. But
Sherri
I am so glad Mr. Mayle returned to Provence, and this book came from his return. I've enjoyed all of his books on Provence. He always finds an interesting and often amusing way to write a vignette on Provencal life.
Kim Tong Lim
Re-reading it a second time. Delightful and Peter Mayle brought out the fun parts of his second visit to Provence.
Pat
Aug 05, 2014 Pat rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: travel
Very enjoyable.
I read most of it after the trip to Provence.
He really captures the people/place of the area.
  • Bella Tuscany
  • The Olive Farm: A Memoir of Life, Love, and Olive Oil in the South of France
  • The Hills of Tuscany
  • I'll Never Be French (no matter what I do): Living in a Small Village in Brittany
  • On Rue Tatin: Living and Cooking in a French Town
  • Words in a French Life: Lessons in Love and Language from the South of France
  • The Reluctant Tuscan: How I Discovered My Inner Italian
  • From Here, You Can't See Paris: Seasons of a French Village and Its Restaurant
  • On Mexican Time: A New Life In San Miguel
  • An Italian Education
  • Living in a Foreign Language: A Memoir of Food, Wine, and Love in Italy
  • Almost French: Love and a New Life in Paris
  • French Toast: An American in Paris Celebrates the Maddening Mysteries of the French
  • A Pig in Provence: Good Food and Simple Pleasures in the South of France
  • Driving over Lemons: An Optimist in Andalucía
  • A Valley in Italy
  • A Thousand Days in Tuscany: A Bittersweet Adventure
  • Sixty Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong
19316
Peter Mayle (born June 14, 1939 in Brighton) is a British author famous for his series of books detailing life in Provence, France. He spent fifteen years in advertising before leaving the business in 1975 to write educational books, including a series on sex education for children and young people. In 1989, A Year in Provence was published and became an international bestseller. His books have be ...more
More about Peter Mayle...

Provence (7 books)
  • A Year in Provence
  • Toujours Provence
  • Hotel Pastis: A Novel of Provence
  • Provence A-Z
  • Provence from the Air
  • A Chef In Provence
A Year in Provence Toujours Provence French Lessons: Adventures with Knife, Fork, and Corkscrew A Good Year Hotel Pastis: A Novel of Provence

“I have a terrible weakness for collecting snatches of other people's conversations, and occasionally I'm rewarded with unusual fragments of knowledge. My favorite of the day came from a large but shapely woman sitting nearby whom I learned was the owner of a local lingerie shop. 'Beh oui,' she said to her companion, waving her spoon for emphasis, 'il faut du temps pour la corsetterie.' You can't argue with that. I made a mental note not to rush things next time I was shopping for a corset, and leaned back to allow the waiter through with the next course.” 3 likes
“The French, it seems to me, strike a happy balance between intimacy and reserve. Some of this must be helped by the language, which lends itself to graceful expression even when dealing with fairly basic subjects.... And there's that famously elegant subtitle from a classic Western.
COWBOY: "Gimme a shot of red-eye."
SUBTITLE: "Un Dubonnet, s'il vous plait."
No wonder French was the language of diplomacy for all those years.”
2 likes