Start by marking “Llama Llama Red Pajama” as Want to Read:
Llama Llama Red Pajama

Llama Llama Red Pajama (Llama Llama)

4.27  ·  Rating Details ·  30,676 Ratings  ·  982 Reviews
Llama, Llama red pajama waiting, waiting for his mama. Mama isn’t coming yet. Baby Llama starts to fret. In this infectious rhyming read-aloud, Baby Llama turns bedtime into an all-out llama drama! Tucked into bed by his mama, Baby Llama immediately starts worrying when she goes downstairs, and his soft whimpers turn to hollers when she doesn’t come right back. But just in ...more
Published May 5th 2005 by Viking Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2005)

Jonathan
Aug 03, 2013 Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oscar-s-faves
RIP. Deeply saddened to hear of Anna's death today after a year-long struggle with cancer. I loved reading her books to my son, and he loved them too. These stories, and her wonderful illustrations, will always mean a lot to me. They are perfect reading material to share with your little ones.
Dawn
Jan 21, 2009 Dawn rated it really liked it
I absolutely love reading this one aloud to my daughter, Therese! The rhyming is so perfectly cadenced and she always giggles at the scrunched up mad face little llama makes when he is sooooo tired of waiting on his mama. A fun, fun read and good to remind "baby llamas" that mama is always there.
Megan
Aug 08, 2016 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This has quickly become one of our favorite books to read. It is so cute and I just love. A bit long for a baby, so sometimes my almost one year old isn't able to sit long enough for the whole thing. I'm going to have buy more Llama Llama books!
 Chele
Sep 06, 2016 Chele rated it it was amazing
September 3, 2016
**RIP Ms. Dewdney. My children and grandchildren enjoyed your stories.
John Yelverton
Aug 12, 2011 John Yelverton rated it really liked it
Fun little children's book, but Mamma should have spanked this little llama.
midnightfaerie
Oct 20, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Finally got a copy of this and my kid's loved it. A book my 5 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds loved. A solid reading level 1 book, this cute story keeps all ages engaged with the bright colorful pictures and cute story. A great addition to any children's library.
Ellenjsmellen
May 09, 2008 Ellenjsmellen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-lit
Adorable story. This was read to us at storytime at the library. I hear there's a sequel. Going to check that out now.
Rachel
Jul 09, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Even though this is a children's board book, I am including it in my adult shelf. Because I think this book might have saved my bacon.

My two-year-old has not been sleeping well. She fights off sleep at bedtime, asking for "more song" and "mama sleeps too" and "mama sit," and no matter that I do what she asks, she immediately wants the opposite. And heaven help me if I just *leave the room*. But when a different family member takes the point on naptime or bedtime, she lays down quietly and falls
babyhippoface
Jan 15, 2008 babyhippoface rated it it was amazing
LOVE llama llama, even when he tries every trick in the book to avoid bedtime. Even more, LOVE Mama Llama when she has had ENOUGH!

Baby Llama’s impatience turns to worry, anger, and fear waiting for Mama Llama to bring a drink of water in this delightful rhyming bedtime tale. Adorable paintings of baby Llama in various stages of distress are a perfect match for the all-too-familiar nighttime scenario; the deep blue hues give the reader a sense of calm in spite of little llama’s escalating “llama
Michael
Mar 21, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing
The llama drama for the mama llama is enough to soil the red pajama, but in the end baby llama learns to keep everything shama-llama with the ding-dong.

"Baby llama don't cause such a tizzy, sometimes mama llama's busy!"

Gets better with every read.
GinaRose Cristello
Apr 27, 2016 GinaRose Cristello rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lorenzo-s
"anh anh ANH" that is lorenzo pointing at the books in the stack beside his chair until I am touching Llama Llama.

then we read to the page where mama runs upstairs... and he makes me start over, and over, and over signing "more!". best.story.ever!
Kara
Apr 01, 2017 Kara rated it it was amazing
Love this as a read aloud experience. Wonderful flow and engaging illustration.

Love that Llama Mama!!
Yiyu Guo
Feb 25, 2017 Yiyu Guo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My daughter who is in first grade now, said the book reminded her of her first day in pre-school and in kindergarten. She shared with me that there were children who cried on their first day of school. She said maybe those children wouldn’t feel that bad if they read this book before. Because they would know their mamas will always come back!
Sara Tranum
Jun 11, 2015 Sara Tranum rated it it was amazing
Busy moms (and dads): If you’ve not yet experienced the Llama Llama books, you’re missing out. The book is sure to be a family favorite. We first met Baby Llama when Llama Llama Red Pajama came home from the library with our then-toddler. The book was so loved by all in the house in was promptly picked up and added to our collection, along with the subsequent books written and illustrated by Anna Dewdney that have come out in the years since.

From the sing-song rhyming to the hysterical antics o
Philippa
Jan 13, 2014 Philippa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was immediately attracted to this book by the beautiful illustrations of Baby Llama as he settles down to a bedtime story with Mama Llama. When his Mama goes back downstairs, Baby Llama starts to worry instead of going to sleep. The gradual build-up to Baby Llama’s worst fear – What if Mama Llama’s GONE? – is dealt with deftly and with humour. This book will address the familiar fear of most young children learning to cope when their mother isn’t nearby; it reassures them about bedtime worries ...more
Dusty
Jan 01, 2016 Dusty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-with-jayden
This is a delightful book, and one of my favorite bedtime stories. The plot is simple: Mama Llama takes a call while little Llama Llama is waiting for her to bring him a glass of water, leaving him to believe that she has disappeared forever. But, like the best of the Llama Llama books, it is fun to read and surprisingly suspenseful, at least from the perspective of a young child. I think the number of middling sequels, the stuffed animals, and the other products related to the series that have ...more
Luann
Dec 09, 2011 Luann rated it really liked it
I love Llama Llama! Simple rhyming text that begs to be read aloud is paired with sweet illustrations and VERY fun endpapers that match Baby Llama's quilt. In this one Llama Llama is having trouble going to sleep. Young ones who also have a hard time at bedtime will sympathize with all that Llama Llama goes through. Parents will sympathize with Mama Llama! My favorite illustration shows Llama Llama all covered up in his quilt with just his eyes and ears peeking out as he wonders if his Mama Llam ...more
Teré Mashburn
Nov 14, 2016 Teré Mashburn rated it really liked it
Shelves: educ-378
Text-to-Text Connection:

A phase that most children experience is conquering their fear of the dark. This book reminds me of "The Dark" by Lemony Snicket. Both of them are coping with sleeping at night in the dark. Both had different objects to comfort them; one used a night light the other was comforted by his mother. There was some conflict on both ends when they were faced with uncomfortable situations but ultimately those situations were overcome.
James
Oct 24, 2013 James rated it really liked it
God this llama kid is always getting freaked out or pissed off in this delightful series. He's a volatile young man . . . . and we LOVE him for it. In this one, he goes to bed and then throws a fit, basically. Mama Llama is downstairs doing the dishes and stuff, but it's hard to get stuff done when kids won't go to sleep. But you know what? It happens. So you go in there and sing him a little song or whatever, and comfort the guy. Congratulations on a job well done. FOUR STARS!!!
Julianne Dunn
Jan 12, 2014 Julianne Dunn rated it it was amazing
I just finished "Llama Llama Red Pajama", recommended by Zeke Moore for my #2014ReadingChallenge. While it's been almost a third of his life since he suggested it to me, I'm sure he appreciates that I finally read his favorite book of January 2014. I found this book delightful and I am hoping to incorporate "llama drama" into my regular speech. I think it is also appropriate that I read this book over President's Day weekend since I'm pretty sure that Zeke will be President someday. ...more
Ariel Cummins
Mar 06, 2013 Ariel Cummins rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Look, I know kids and adults everywhere love Llama llama, but man, that kid is kind of a jerk! Although I guess most kids (and adults!) are jerks sometimes too, so...

This time llama is having trouble going to sleep. Mama comes, but not right away - she's answering the phone and tending to the house!

An old friend as a main character and familiar illustrations make this book a favorite all around!
Liz
Mar 13, 2009 Liz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-book
Went to an emergent literacy class last night and we all received this book. I nearly cried because this book is so accurate to my evening with the kids (putting kids to bed, they want a drink to delay bedtime, mommy is busy doing something else, but eventually gets to the worried child, etc...). Makes you laugh because it's so accurate, or in my case, cry and laugh!
Courtney
Apr 17, 2007 Courtney rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book for 3-5 year olds. The brief, repetitive rhyme structure and repeated phrases are wonderful to get kids chanting along. The illustrations attribute marvelous expressions to characters in bold, sweeping colors that can be easily seen in group situations.

[Storytime!: Preschool to kindergarten age]
Sunny
Nov 11, 2011 Sunny rated it really liked it
Shelves: caleb-s-favs, reviews
The lyrical nature of this book makes it fun to read. My son loves this. I didn't give it 5 stars because I can't fully love a book that has the child screaming and stomping for his mom when he suppose to be in bed.
Jaelyn J.
Jul 12, 2015 Jaelyn J. added it
Shelves: family
This is another book that I love to read when students don't want to let go of their parents when coming into the classroom. It teaches kids that is alright to miss their parents, and that they will love them no matter the place or time.
Tawni
Dec 18, 2007 Tawni rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Although this is not my favorite children's book, it is right now my 3-year-olds. HE love, love, loves it! The illustrations are wonderful and the rhyiming is fun. "Stop all this llama drama..." He loves it!
Stephanie
Dec 04, 2016 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love reading this aloud. My daughter is still in-utero for another week and we received Llama Llama as a shower gift. I'ver already read it a few times just because I enjoy it that much. Maybe she'll recognize it when I read it to her again and again as she grows.
Brodie
Oct 03, 2016 Brodie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
All I can say is that "llama drama" is the cutest term ever and I can't wait to replace 'tantrum' with it haha.
Jessica
Jan 01, 2010 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Brought the phrase, "Please stop all this llama drama!" to our family vocabulary.
Lindsay
Sep 13, 2016 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Read it in the bookstore while I was still pregnant, but finally purchased it for my little one. The story is very sweet, and the illustrations are gorgeous.
  • A Bedtime for Bear (Bear and Mouse)
  • Bear Feels Scared
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?
  • I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • Russell the Sheep
  • Dinosaur vs. Bedtime
  • Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy
  • Your Personal Penguin
  • Ladybug Girl
  • Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
  • Elephants Cannot Dance! (Elephant & Piggie, #9)
  • Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site
  • Giraffes Can't Dance
  • Read to Tiger
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Little Hoot

Llama Llama (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Llama Llama Mad at Mama